Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #361
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
There is one problem I am having though!! Spending way too much time on the boards and blogs reading about this, looking at recipes, etc. Having trouble getting my work done. Has anyone else noticed this side effect?
Yes! It helps that my work isn't in a steady stream. I have many small down times during the day--so I check in here.

And Dottie--it's great to have you on the thread!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #362
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Ok I swear I am not losing my mind
The one I ordered last night showed a pic of both kinds of strips and said "10k strips and 50BG strips" it's a kit.
I'll let you know when I get it if they changed the description after.
Hi..the one I originally got and seems you ordered as well has 2 ketone strips and 50 glucose.....just make sure to "register" the meter (I did it online) and they sent me 2 ketone ones within the week (Nova Max Plus)! Woo hoo!

$13.99 for the meter and 50 glucose strips is still a deal. They 50 glucose are usually about $19, so $13.99 is a deal for just the strips with a bonus of 2 ketone ones ($2.50/ea) AND a new meter....and probably some new lancets too?

I just got my 2nd order from the ADW group....ordered the meter with the 50 glucose and 10 ketone strips and an extra box of the ketone strips. That should hold me for a while! :-)
Old 09-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #363
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Hi there! I'd like to join you all. I've been maintaining on JUDDD for 2.5 months now, and I want to lower my sky high protein intake for health and energy benefits. I used to eat much higher fat levels than protein before JUDDD when I was eating vlc, but somehow over the course of JUDDD my protein intake kept creeping higher and higher, which is not where I want it. It may be a bit of a challenge, but I think this might be key in getting to where I feel my best. Going to go read up more on this now!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #364
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I ordered some ketone strips off ebay and the seller was kind enough to send me some extra supplies he didn't have any use for, 2 meters, BG strips, lancet, etc. Can give to my DD's who are trying this. Score!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #365
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
Hi there! I'd like to join you all. I've been maintaining on JUDDD for 2.5 months now, and I want to lower my sky high protein intake for health and energy benefits. I used to eat much higher fat levels than protein before JUDDD when I was eating vlc, but somehow over the course of JUDDD my protein intake kept creeping higher and higher, which is not where I want it. It may be a bit of a challenge, but I think this might be key in getting to where I feel my best. Going to go read up more on this now!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #366
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Dottie-I looked on Amazon and didn't see that deal. Maybe it went away? I am going to have to break down and pay the $29.99 for 10
Old 09-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #367
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Dottie-I looked on Amazon and didn't see that deal. Maybe it went away? I am going to have to break down and pay the $29.99 for 10
Are these the Nova strips? Aren't they cheaper at American Diabetes Warehouse?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #368
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
vilanteira!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #369
Big Yapper!!!!

Just got an email from CVS, my order has shipped. Guess I was one of the lucky ones to get my order in quickly.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #370
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Just got an email from CVS, my order has shipped. Guess I was one of the lucky ones to get my order in quickly.
I guess that's one of the advantages of being online a lot. I placed my order as soon as I saw Ella's post. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #371
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pantograph
Stats: 222/178.8/170
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Feb 2010 (Paleo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I know that we've discussed the exercise issue before. There's an interesting article in the NY Times today, For Weight Loss, Less Exercise May Be More. From my experience I have come to believe that getting the right amount of exercise is important to both weight loss and well being, but that more is not always better.
Last night I re-listened to Jimmy Moore's Q&A with Dr. Steve Phinney (Ask The Low Carb Experts #23 on Stalls and Weight Gain on LC). He talked about problems from exercising too much (over ~1.5 hours a day). They've seen lowered BMR in a number of people who have done high amounts of exercise. Other researchers have seen this as well, although it is not often highlighted in their results, since it runs counter to conventional "wisdom".

I really like Dr. Phinney, because he has scientifically tested (in metabolic labs) many of the parameters affecting NK. He has numbers to back up his statements.

One of the many other questions related to whether it is better to eat your daily protein distributed over several meals or most of it at one meal. He said he didn't have good data on this (due to lack of funding), but he said that it seemed to make sense to spread it out to prevent excessive gluconeogenesis which could raise blood glucose and insulin, and possibly interfere with ketosis.

I've also heard him say that the human body works best when it gets consistent daily nutrition. He is not a fan of intermittent fasting. Although JUDDD isn't quite as extreme as IF, it seems it might not be optimal. As always, everyone is different, so it might work fine for some.

Keep clam, Terry

PS - My ketones hit 2.2 today, up from 1.2 yesterday! That's the highest they've been so far, three weeks into eating for NK. (36 g carbs, 107 g protein, 178 g fat with lots of macadamia oil that's very high in MUFA and low in PUFA.)
Old 09-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #372
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Zyllah
Hiya Everyone....

Sorry my posting is kind of hit or miss. I do read everyday but don't always have the time to post since things are getting busy with my move. Still holding steady at 144. I need to order some sticks I think and see where I'm at on the Ketosis meter. I am so happy for everyone with their losses. Hope everyone has a great day.

Jen

Pantograph: I still need to listen to that but I wonder if he meant cardio or easy stuff. Sometimes my WO's do go over 1.5 hrs but that's because I take breaks.

by easy I mean toning like I do a heck of a lot of floor work.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #373
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
Are these the Nova strips? Aren't they cheaper at American Diabetes Warehouse?
I will check it out. This was the Amazon price.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #374
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantograph View Post
PS - My ketones hit 2.2 today, up from 1.2 yesterday! That's the highest they've been so far, three weeks into eating for NK. (36 g carbs, 107 g protein, 178 g fat with lots of macadamia oil that's very high in MUFA and low in PUFA.)
Terry, that is fabulous on the ketone reading! I haven't found my "sweet spot" yet on the macros, but am at least showing a reading keeping me in NK.

How are you using the macadamia oil...I got some and am not sure how to use it. How are you consuming it. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #375
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I found a "sandwich spread" that will work well into this program and tastes great!
It's Mezzetta chimichurri sandwich spread.
If you don't like cilantro, don't bother with this lol.
Info:
1T is 40 cals; 4g fat; 150mg sodium; 1g carbs and no protein.
Ingredients:
olive oil, water, fresh parsley, fresh cilantro, red wine vinegar, fresh garlic, sea salt, crushed chili peppers, black pepper, xanthan gum.

I love garlic stuffed olives and this has that background flavor. But the cilantro is prominent, so is the garlic and just a kiss of heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chimichurri.JPG (24.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #376
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
One of the many other questions related to whether it is better to eat your daily protein distributed over several meals or most of it at one meal. He said he didn't have good data on this (due to lack of funding), but he said that it seemed to make sense to spread it out to prevent excessive gluconeogenesis which could raise blood glucose and insulin, and possibly interfere with ketosis.
I like to have one bigger meal a day (usually dinner, but not all of my protein). It just feels more satisfying.

Quote:
Congrats on the ketones!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #377
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just got my shipping confirmation also! I was starting to get worried.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #378
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Dottie were did you get it?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #379
Administrator

Walmart in the mustard/mayo aisle.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #380
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks
Old 09-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #381
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
Today's Totals:

Cals: 1660
C: 42
F: 150
P: 60

On target and back to original low (150.6) from weekend water gain due to Naproxen Sodium. Hopefully tomorrow will be a new low. <fingers crossed>
Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #382
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
Whew, long Wednesday. Tough craving issues...hormonal I assume. I hope they disappear soon.

Calories: 1,405
Carbs: 13
Fat: 120
Protein: 72

Morning fasted BG: 91
Ketones: 2.2 (I think that was this morning, it was a long day!)
Old 09-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #383
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/22/11
Has anyone out there noticed a significant, natural drop in calories consumed after getting into NK? I mean without deliberately restricting cals. Two weeks ago I was averaging around 2k calories a day. Last week which was the first week I was really in NK I had maybe 1700 a day in the four days before I got food poisoning. Calories obviously dropped off a cliff during that fun episode. Today is the first day I'd say I'm pretty much back to normal and yet I'm at 1400 cals now with a full stomach and two hours until bed. Do you think this is related to the NK or is it a remnant of the food poisoning?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #384
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker295 View Post
Has anyone out there noticed a significant, natural drop in calories consumed after getting into NK? I mean without deliberately restricting cals. Two weeks ago I was averaging around 2k calories a day. Last week which was the first week I was really in NK I had maybe 1700 a day in the four days before I got food poisoning. Calories obviously dropped off a cliff during that fun episode. Today is the first day I'd say I'm pretty much back to normal and yet I'm at 1400 cals now with a full stomach and two hours until bed. Do you think this is related to the NK or is it a remnant of the food poisoning?
I am amazingly satisfied with very small portions of high fat food these days (frantically looks for wood to knock on to keep this happening). I had a dinner consisting of some liver pate on 3 flax crackers about 6 hours ago, and I haven't the slightest desire to nibble on anything, and probably won't think about food until tomorrow morning or even noonish.

I am trying to keep my calories around 1200 because I don't want to slow down my thyroid/general metabolism, but it's easy, some days, to stop at 900-1000 calories. So, yeah, I have noticed a drop in hunger which could translate into fewer calories consumed. When adjusting to this NK woe, I was wicked hungry some evenings/days, but I also kept my calories in the 1200 range, anyway. If I'd eaten to satiation, I would have eaten way more than I want to eat now.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #385
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Last night I re-listened to Jimmy Moore's Q&A with Dr. Steve Phinney (Ask The Low Carb Experts #23 on Stalls and Weight Gain on LC). He talked about problems from exercising too much (over ~1.5 hours a day). They've seen lowered BMR in a number of people who have done high amounts of exercise. Other researchers have seen this as well, although it is not often highlighted in their results, since it runs counter to conventional "wisdom".

I really like Dr. Phinney, because he has scientifically tested (in metabolic labs) many of the parameters affecting NK. He has numbers to back up his statements.

I've also heard him say that the human body works best when it gets consistent daily nutrition. He is not a fan of intermittent fasting. Although JUDDD isn't quite as extreme as IF, it seems it might not be optimal. As always, everyone is different, so it might work fine for some.

Keep clam, Terry

and congrats on the high ketones. 1.7 at night have been my highest, I am 2 1/2 weeks in.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #386
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I sure have, if I am busy, like I was today, it is so easy to just not eat. In fact, for the first time, I am way under on all my values and it is about midnight so I am going to bed, I figure one down day won't hurt as long as I get adequate calories in tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #387
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
I definitely have this benefit. Although I notice that because I am such a night owl I do easily wind up with 1500 due to later night eating. Still losing like gangbusters though, so it's all good.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:25 AM   #388
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maybelle
Stats: 225/battling the 190s/150
Start Date: July 2011
Kind of an all-over the place post...sorry.

Wednesday:

Still too many calories, but fewer than on Tuesday. Breakdown was:
Fat: 84%
Protein:10%
Carbs: 6% (20g)

Adjustments to daily rituals/today's plan:
- morning coffee 1T CO, 2T HWC instead of 2T each
- afternoon coffee/snack same adjustment
- lunch: more substantial; have some wiener sausages that are about to expire so will have those- roughly 550calories
- emergency snacks- tea eggs; budgeted for 2
dinner: will be chicken with some veggies

issues lately: waiting too long before having dinner (aka waiting for DH); snacking after dinner (i bought very good pecans, they seem to be a trigger. actually, most of the excess calories consumed the last two days came from these).

fingers crossed for today.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #389
Major LCF Poster!

I too have a hard time eating!!i look like I'm eating a lot of food but it's still not enough..I no if I go under 1200 cals I don't lose..I reall think the best thing for Me is 1200 somedays then 1400 others that seems to really get my body moving...also keeping those prot.around 50-60... I would have never thought doing Atkins you could do to much prot...I really like the way I'm eating now,,,,
Old 09-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #390
Administrator

Port I know what you mean. Thinking back - hindsight and all - I did really well on straight low-carb starting out, lost quite a bit of weight but then stalled.
Looking back, I was increasing protein and reducing fat while keeping carbs low.
Now, don't get me wrong: there's nothing I love better than a big 12oz strip or ribeye cooked on the grill and rare! And I'm sure I'll have days when that cow parks on my plate but maybe just a 6 or 8oz and topped w/butter
Closed Thread