Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom_2_4
Stats: 298/210/150ish
WOE: Atkins for the first 100 lbs now doing NK
Start Date: August 2006
Good morning to everyone! Had a busy busy Monday yesterday and didn't get to eat as well as I needed to, went over in calories and fat, the scale reflected it by a .4 pound gain, will do better today!

Yesterday's intake
Calories:1878
Carbs:15.3
Fat:183.9
Protein:50.4

It's also still TOM some won't be too hard on myself hope everyone has a great day! I'm hoping to get some work done this morning and then have some time for reading the old thread!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #302
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Mike, google 'LLVLC-ep-593-dr-keith-runyan' and it should be the first hit.

Jimmy has a great conversation with a doctor that treats his own diabetes with LC.
I cannot thank you enough for this - an answer we have been looking for!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #303
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Welcome carmi.this is a great site.there is always someone here to help!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #304
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
WOE: low cal/low carb
Hey everyone! I just looked up when I started this. I'm not testing keytones with monitor but with strips. I'm using BG monitor though. I'm not diabetic. I purchased it for this way of eating. I'm eating approx 1500 calories. I have ALOT to lose. I was eating low carb but not counting before I started this.

I've lost 8 lbs in 8 days! I'm so happy that I found something that feels right. I'm enjoying my food and not feeling deprived and not really all that hungry.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Say!,great job!!!post what you are eating so others can see what you are eating,
Old 09-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #306
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/22/11
Quote:
Mike, google 'LLVLC-ep-593-dr-keith-runyan' and it should be the first hit.

Jimmy has a great conversation with a doctor that treats his own diabetes with LC.
Fantastic! I have been listening to that show of late and have been enjoying it. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #307
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zay View Post
I've lost 8 lbs in 8 days! I'm so happy that I found something that feels right. I'm enjoying my food and not feeling deprived and not really all that hungry.
Congrats Zay! 8lbs in a week is about what I did last week too. I agree about the awesomeness!!

Mike, food poisoning is a tried and true method of losing weight. Good job!

I'm down .4 this morning. Feeling great! I feel like I am hitting a groove of what to eat and how much. My calories seem to be pretty consistently 1600 +/- 100. That's a LOT, 'cept I'm losing, so it's great!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #308
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Zay, great loss for your first week! Congrats!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Hi all.....great job on all the losses I'm reading about. Was gone all day yesterday...but wanted to report on the protein powder thing for Mike. I had to leave early and no time to eat so had 1/2 scoop of protein powder in 1/4 c HWC and 1 cup almond milk and ran out the door with a shaker container of the same liquids and lots of ice and a small container of protein powder for "lunch on the run". I had a great dinner when I got home, still had nearly 1500 calories on the day and I lost 1.4# and my ketone reading this morning was 1.0. So, I"m not at all convinced that having a replacement shake with 1/2 to 3/4 scoops of protein powder is a bad thing as long as you keep up the macros with proper proportions of fat, protein and low carb.

Others were asking about my comment about Phinney/Volek not being wild about MCT oil. It's in their "Art & Science PERFORMANCE" book on pages 94-95 when they discuss medium chain triglycerides..natural sources being butter, cream and coconut oil. They state about 10-15% of the fat in butter is MCT's 2/3's in coconut oil. But here is the quote on page 95 of the book...hope it's okay to quote the phrases since I am giving them 100% credit!

"You can also purchase MCT oil as a supplement. Ingestion of MCT oil will result in significant ketosis even if consumed with carbohydrates, although this MCT-induced ketone production may not be associated with the full spectrum of metabolic benefits associated with carbohydrate-restricted-keto-adaption. Thus, we do not encourage use of MCT oil. That said, however, neither do we discourage consuming foods that naturally contain MCT."

Hope that clarifies that. I have read that ketones will climb if one consumes MCT oil and/or coconut oil...it can give you a false "reading" since it's coming from something that raises the levels, and is not considered really a "food" per se.....hope that makes sense. It has been tested by some that used the oil and then didn't use it. Days of use had higher readings than days not using one/both of the oils (coconut/MCT). For this reason, I only test my ketone strips first thing in the morning so that my body has had a good 12 hour or so "fast" and has not recently had something like a fat bomb or cup of coffee with HWC, CO or MCT oil in it to raise the levels "falsely". :-)

Last edited by shelley; 09-18-2012 at 10:13 AM..
Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #310
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Hi all.....great job on all the losses I'm reading about. Was gone all day yesterday...but wanted to report on the protein powder thing for Mike. I had to leave early and no time to eat so had 1/2 scoop of protein powder in 1/4 c HWC and 1 cup almond milk and ran out the door with a shaker container of the same liquids and lots of ice and a small container of protein powder for "lunch on the run". I had a great dinner when I got home, still had nearly 1500 calories on the day and I lost 1.4# and my ketone reading this morning was 1.0. So, I"m not at all convinced that having a replacement shake with 1/2 to 3/4 scoops of protein powder is a bad thing as long as you keep up the macros with proper proportions of fat, protein and low carb.

Others were asking about my comment about Phinney/Volek not being wild about MCT oil. It's in their "Art & Science PERFORMANCE" book on pages 94-95 when they discuss medium chain triglycerides..natural sources being butter, cream and coconut oil. They state about 10-15% of the fat in butter is MCT's 2/3's in coconut oil. But here is the quote on page 95 of the book...hope it's okay to quote the phrases since I am giving them 100% credit!

"You can also purchase MCT oil as a supplement. Ingestion of MCT oil will result in significant ketosis even if consumed with carbohydrates, although this MCT-induced ketone production may not be associated with the full spectrum of metabolic benefits associated with carbohydrate-restricted-keto-adaption. Thus, we do not encourage use of MCT oil. That said, however, neither do we discourage consuming foods that naturally contain MCT."

Hope that clarifies that. I have read that ketones will climb if one consumes MCT oil and/or coconut oil...it can give you a false "reading" since it's coming from something that raises the levels, and is not considered really a "food" per se.....hope that makes sense. It has been tested by some that used the oil and then didn't use it. Days of use had higher readings than days not using one/both of the oils (coconut/MCT). For this reason, I only test my ketone strips first thing in the morning so that my body has had a good 12 hour or so "fast" and has not recently had something like a fat bomb or cup of coffee with HWC, CO or MCT oil in it to raise the levels "falsely". :-)
Old 09-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Hmmmmm...so it affects your readings, but what about results? I'm not actually taking readings yet because I don't have the meter yet, but my results are good. Would the false high on the readings maybe make some people eat more carbs because they think "it's okay, I'm still in ketosis"? Or maybe I don't get it...
Old 09-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #312
Major LCF Poster!

Shelly great post there.always learning somethink!! So do you think co is good for us or not?does it help lower our weight?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #313
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Thanks for the additional info on MCT Shelley
Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlyjo View Post
Hmmmmm...so it affects your readings, but what about results? I'm not actually taking readings yet because I don't have the meter yet, but my results are good. Would the false high on the readings maybe make some people eat more carbs because they think "it's okay, I'm still in ketosis"? Or maybe I don't get it...
If you are getting results, why would you test at all?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #315
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
They state about 10-15% of the fat in butter is MCT's 2/3's in coconut oil. But here is the quote on page 95 of the book...hope it's okay to quote the phrases since I am giving them 100% credit!

That is very interesting Shelley.

The question that it brings up in my mind is what if you *are* LC and take MCT oil? You are already ketogenic or pre-ketogenic so you are already at the broad spectrum benefit level they ascribe to naturally attained ketosis.

I wonder if they are trying to dissuade readers from thinking that MCT oil is a magical carb neutralizer so no one thinks a Dominoes pizza can be effectively offset by a dose of MCT oil?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #316
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Shelly great post there.always learning somethink!! So do you think co is good for us or not?does it help lower our weight?
The two doctors say that naturally occurring MCT, like in CO and butter, is fine =)
Old 09-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
Quote:
That is very interesting Shelley.

The question that it brings up in my mind is what if you *are* LC and take MCT oil? You are already ketogenic or pre-ketogenic so you are already at the broad spectrum benefit level they ascribe to naturally attained ketosis.

I wonder if they are trying to dissuade readers from thinking that MCT oil is a magical carb neutralizer so no one thinks a Dominoes pizza can be effectively offset by a dose of MCT oil?

I think that's mainly it. A ketone test would show ketones if someone is taking MCT or CO in, but those are ketones from the burning of just those fats, not ketones from restricting carbs so ketones are created for energy to replace the glucose.

I think of CO and grass-fed butter as "priming the pump" somewhat. They do help make more ketones, and I want my body to love using ketones. As long as I'm within a reasonable amount of calories, I'll be burning a mix of dietary and body fat as far as I understand it. If I weren't exercising, I may not add in the extra CO, but I feel like it's a good source of energy before runs, etc.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #318
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:

Oh How I love this comment!!!! ha ha ha I think everyone that has posted since I typed out the "quote" from the book has the idea. If you take CO or MCT oil and THEN test on a ketone meter, you will get a higher reading than if you tested before you had any. It "burns fat" instantly apparently. But it's also good for us, and if you are seeing/feeling results, then you are doing great!

The only change I have made to my morning walks with the ladies/dogs in the morning is that I do my meter readings at 8, and leave the house at 8:30 after eating the equivalent of 1/2 of a fat bomb (mine are 1 TBSP and the recipe is for 2 TBSP), and mine are made with sunflower seed butter instead of the other nut butters. I am able to do the entire walk without huffing and puffing and "hurting"....the others struggle, and now I can just "do it", and I also walk farther by a mile than they do to get back home. I credit the "instant" energy from the fat bomb as the reason....really do.

But I want to know my "real" readings on those expensive strips, so I prefer to test in the morning before I eat a thing...so it's "accurate" for my needs.

Hey...if this program is working, keep on doing it! I am getting very slow results (less than 1/2# a week), but it's better than gaining or being stalled for 6 months!!! I'll take it. And I "feel" like I'm shrinking inside!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #319
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Kids4me View Post
I think of CO and grass-fed butter as "priming the pump" somewhat.
Holy smoke that is a good observation!

I've read the various threads about LC'rs that simply add CO and suddenly see either an increase in weight loss (even if a small one) or a semi-stall being broken.

There is one right now in the lobby.

I was curious about it myself. Very interesting!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #320
Blabbermouth!!!

I think I actually remember that, now that we are talking about it, MCT oil being promoted as a carb buster about 10 years ago.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #321
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
Start Date: 5/22/11
Quote:
Thanks for the info Shelly. I have skipped the protein powder the last couple of weeks in order to get my protein levels down and that has helped. I think you are right that it's not the protein powder itself but the overall grams of protein consumed across all sources. In my case I think the protein powder was just enough to keep me over the limits needed to get into ketosis.

Now that I'm in ketosis, I want to eventually experiment with adding the powder back in. Right now I've replaced the protein shakes with a shake that is made of almond milk and CO. But I have to add artificial sweetener to make it palatable (and it is quite yummy!) which I would prefer not to make a part of the daily routine. The powder I use isn't sweetened as far as I can tell, though maybe it is buried in the ingredients somewhere.

Thanks as well for the helpful information on MCT oil. I had been considering that but sounds like I should look for natural sources first.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #322
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
A friend of mine ordered the strips from cvs and got a cancellation notice saying they were sold out, and there was no offer of a raincheck at the sales price.
Just watch for an email from them.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
Today's totals

B - protein shake (21 g) made with 6 T heavy cream, 2/3 T CO
L - salad, 3 oz fatty pork rib, 2 oz avo, 2 oz tomato, 1 T Olive Oil
D - 1 Chicken thigh cooked in CO, 1 C broccoli, 2T herbed butter sauce
Snack - 1 cream cheese cloud

Cals: 1557
C: 26
F: 134
P: 65

Last edited by route66; 09-18-2012 at 07:09 PM..
Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
Here were my numbers for today:

Breakfast was eggs and bacon, lunch was italian sausage with mozzarella cheese and a bit of pizza sauce, and dinner was brisket and sausage at the BBQ place for Dh's birthday.

Calories: 1,500
Carbs: 13
Fat: 120
Protein: 98

--Jamie
Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Here are my numbers for the day:

Calories: 1695
Fat: 151.8g 80%
Carbs: 9.2g 2%
Fiber: 3.6g
Protein: 73g 18%

Feeling really good about these numbers. Might try to have a little more carbs tomorrow. Would like to see 80/15/5
Old 09-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #326
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maybelle
Stats: 225/battling the 190s/150
Start Date: July 2011
I am embarrassed of the calorie total for yesterday, really binged in the evening so I'll only post %:

Fat: 79%
Protein: 13%
Carbohydrate: 8%
Old 09-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #327
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I have lost six pounds since Saturday!!! I still can't believe it. I am 1/2lb away from 50lbs total!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:17 AM   #328
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maybelle
Stats: 225/battling the 190s/150
Start Date: July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I have lost six pounds since Saturday!!! I still can't believe it. I am 1/2lb away from 50lbs total!!!
congrats! that's really amazing!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybelle View Post
I am embarrassed of the calorie total for yesterday, really binged in the evening so I'll only post %:

Fat: 79%
Protein: 13%
Carbohydrate: 8%
Hi Maybelle--don't be embarrassed, we've all been there! Every day and every meal is a chance to make better choices. Do you have an idea about what's going on? Evenings can be really tough--perhaps you're not eating enough during the day?

I saw in another thread that you are originally from Prague. My 20 y.o. son is studying there right now.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #330
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Congratulations!! What do you think has been the key to your success on this plan?
Closed Thread