Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 04:11 AM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
This morning's weigh-in 201.5. I think my absolute lowest before I bounced a couple of pounds and stalled was 201.3. Dang, can't believe I'm finally going to get to onederland.
Yay! Congrats!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Yay! Congrats!
Thank you =)

I weighed 3 times and took a picture for proof the 3rd time lol
Old 09-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
Quote:
Ah, you had said: "but I haven't worked out in a while because I really wrenched my neck/upper back and just haven't got back into it."

...so that is what I was talking about with the injury.

Some questions for you:

#1 - You continued eating the same although you have had to quit working out?

#2 - You have gained 10 pounds? In what time frame? The last month or two? Or how much do you feel you've gained?

#3 - Anything going on in your life now that is extra stressful? Stress can make you put on weight even when you are eating right.

#4 - Are you weighing your food to log it at ******?

#5 - Are you logging everything? No 'legal' low carb snacks that you aren't logging?

=)
Right. Haven't gone back to working out since I wrenched my neck.
It's been a slow gain. Clothing getting very uncomfortable. Started to wonder if my protein was too high or if I'm not eating enough but why all of a sudden would things turn?? I was maintaining since 2005.
Stress? Life is stressful!
I measure and log everything in ******. Mind you I haven't logged the Almond Butter I've eaten. I was hooked on natural peanut butter but am staying away from it. I have dipped into Almond Butter. Am trying not to eat anything after dinner ...

Why did my low carb/low fat program work originally(20024/2005) and now I feel like I am ballooning? I'm starting to disbelieve everything I am reading about fat not making you fat and the goodness of coconut oil. Help.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #124
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernsy View Post
Right. Haven't gone back to working out since I wrenched my neck.
It's been a slow gain. Clothing getting very uncomfortable. Started to wonder if my protein was too high or if I'm not eating enough but why all of a sudden would things turn?? I was maintaining since 2005.
Stress? Life is stressful!
I measure and log everything in ******. Mind you I haven't logged the Almond Butter I've eaten. I was hooked on natural peanut butter but am staying away from it. I have dipped into Almond Butter. Am trying not to eat anything after dinner ...

Why did my low carb/low fat program work originally(20024/2005) and now I feel like I am ballooning? I'm starting to disbelieve everything I am reading about fat not making you fat and the goodness of coconut oil. Help.
Okay. First things first.

Don't get discouraged. LC hasn't stopped working. Things in your life have taken your focus off of the basics for LC.

Once we get you refocused on the basics you'll be on track again.

That happened to me too. I got stalled at 205, got distracted by work had some major stress in my life recently and started drifting away from the basics and put on 8 to 10 pounds.

I also experienced my prized new-smaller-size jeans become uncomfortably tight.

I also despaired and doubted myself and LC.

Fat doesn't make you fat any more than boneless skinless chicken breast make you skinny. If you consume a lot more calories than you expend you will gain weight. If you consume a lot less calories than you need you might stall instead of losing weight.

How much almond butter have you been snacking on? Like 1 tsp a day or maybe crack the jar open and have at it with a spoon?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

That would be Option B: Crack the jar open and have at it. Peanut Butter is worse, I think, but have to stop both.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

What is the difference between Atkins and this Nutritional Ketosis I keep seeing through this thread? Doesn't low carb eating (Atkins) get you into nutritional ketosis?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #127
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
This morning's weigh-in 201.5. I think my absolute lowest before I bounced a couple of pounds and stalled was 201.3. Dang, can't believe I'm finally going to get to onederland.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What is the difference between Atkins and this Nutritional Ketosis I keep seeing through this thread? Doesn't low carb eating (Atkins) get you into nutritional ketosis?
I just asked this on the Nutritional Ketosis thread today, lol! Glad I'm not the only confused one. Reddarrin explained it to me very clearly and concisely.

While Atkins focuses on keeping your carbs low enough to induce ketosis, and stay there, he says nothing about not overdoing protein as well.

Nutritional ketosis involves getting the right amount of fat/protein/carbs for your particular body.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #129
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
That question was asked a little while ago in another thread. Here is what I found that is a super duper explanation:

Here is an exerpt from Jimmy Moore's blog, google jimmy-moores-n1-experiments-nutritional-ketosis-day-1-30/14409, that explains it really well:

Quote:
First I wanted to address a question that has come up many times since I started blogging about getting into “nutritional ketosis.” It’s goes something along the lines of this: “What’s the difference between ‘nutritional ketosis’ and the ketosis you get on Atkins?” In fact, one lady on Facebook took me to task for basically doing Atkins but trying to re-brand it as something “new” calling it “nutritional ketosis.” Apparently she hasn’t been reading my blog posts about this because I’ve made it perfectly clear that this is something I read in Dr. Jeff Volek and Dr. Stephen Phinney’s 2012 book release called The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance.

But actually the concept of “nutritional ketosis” even extends back to their 2010 New York Times bestselling book The New Atkins For A New You where they use this phrase very clearly on page 287:
Ketones have gotten a bad name because they can rise to very high levels in individuals with uncontrolled type 1 diabetes, a state known as diabetic ketoacidosis. However, there is more than a tenfold difference between the ketone levels seen in ketoacidosis and those achieved with a carbohydrate-restricted diet, which we call nutritional ketosis. (emphasis mine)
As you can see, this is neither my term nor is it particularly new. But I do see a line of delineation between the state of ketosis you achieve on the Atkins diet and the nutritional ketosis I am actively pursuing now. The most important difference is that Atkins does not explicitly call for moderating protein intake, just carbohydrate.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #130
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
That would be Option B: Crack the jar open and have at it. Peanut Butter is worse, I think, but have to stop both.
lol

Well. You are gonna have to stop that or at least carefully log it. That stuff is wonderful but it is super high calorie in any sort of quantity.

You're stressing out over the whole situation so lets not add stress by trying to turn you around in one day.

Keep eating it but log it carefully for now.

I think the very first thing we need to do is get you calmed down. Stress makes it hard to lose weight.

So. First order of business is to not worry too much about calories and all. Be diligent about logging your food and cut back where you are comfortable doing so. Just logging it accurately will help you tremendously because it will wake you up to the not-actually-hungry eating that you are doing.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
Hey I need an opinion. I had a bad migraine with nausea this am (still have a migraine "hangover" now) and really don't feel like eating much. So I ate some bacon, half an avocado, had some almonds...but I really am lacking in the fat dept. I can have some CO when I get home but is one "down day" going to mess me up? I just can't eat much when I have a migraine.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #132
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybabyhead View Post
Hey I need an opinion. I had a bad migraine with nausea this am (still have a migraine "hangover" now) and really don't feel like eating much. So I ate some bacon, half an avocado, had some almonds...but I really am lacking in the fat dept. I can have some CO when I get home but is one "down day" going to mess me up? I just can't eat much when I have a migraine.
No, an occasional off day percentage-wise isn't going to matter.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #133
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I had a bad migraine with nausea this am (still have a migraine "hangover" now)
I know it is a side issue and if I am intruding please feel free not to respond.

Do you have a diagnosed condition causing the migraines?

I ask because I have suffered from them all my life (I'm 46) infrequently, thank God, with 'normal' headaches almost all the time.

Until I read Wheat Belly. I don't think Dr. Davis mentions migraines in particular or indicates wheat-free is a cure (I read it last year) but...

Since I quit eating wheat and most gluten I hardly ever have a headache. No migraines either but I was super infrequent with them before.

I also suffered from terrible heart burn all the time. That is gone. I don't think I've taken a Tums all year. And I eat the sort of food that would have ensured a miserable after experience without anti-acid of some sort.

Lots of other health benefits too.

I used to *always* have OTC painkillers with me and anti-acids. Always. Now I never have them around. I have to hunt for the analgesics if I actually get a headache and often I can just ignore it and it goes away. I always thought people were lying when they said that lol. If I take a pain pill these days it is because my shoulder hurts or I have some body ache.

Anyway, I had such stunning changes I wanted to mention it to you. From personal experience I understand the agony of a migraine.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
Quote:
I know it is a side issue and if I am intruding please feel free not to respond.

Do you have a diagnosed condition causing the migraines?

I ask because I have suffered from them all my life (I'm 46) infrequently, thank God, with 'normal' headaches almost all the time.

Until I read Wheat Belly. I don't think Dr. Davis mentions migraines in particular or indicates wheat-free is a cure (I read it last year) but...

Since I quit eating wheat and most gluten I hardly ever have a headache. No migraines either but I was super infrequent with them before.

I also suffered from terrible heart burn all the time. That is gone. I don't think I've taken a Tums all year. And I eat the sort of food that would have ensured a miserable after experience without anti-acid of some sort.

Lots of other health benefits too.

I used to *always* have OTC painkillers with me and anti-acids. Always. Now I never have them around. I have to hunt for the analgesics if I actually get a headache and often I can just ignore it and it goes away. I always thought people were lying when they said that lol. If I take a pain pill these days it is because my shoulder hurts or I have some body ache.

Anyway, I had such stunning changes I wanted to mention it to you. From personal experience I understand the agony of a migraine.
Those are stunning changes!

Mine are caused by many triggers...weather, TOM and hormonal changes, low blood sugar, and scents are the most frequent for me. I've had them since I was 4 years old (I am 38 now) so I've had them forever. I am gluten intolerant so I don't eat grains or wheat but they cause them too. They have lessened since going wheat free last year but unfortunately are still around.

I am under the care of a neurologist and take one medicine to prevent them, one during my period to prevent them, and 2 drugs to treat an acute attack. LC has reduced them too.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #135
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Those are stunning changes!

Mine are caused by many triggers...weather, TOM and hormonal changes, low blood sugar, and scents are the most frequent for me. I've had them since I was 4 years old (I am 38 now) so I've had them forever. I am gluten intolerant so I don't eat grains or wheat but they cause them too. They have lessened since going wheat free last year but unfortunately are still around.

I am under the care of a neurologist and take one medicine to prevent them, one during my period to prevent them, and 2 drugs to treat an acute attack. LC has reduced them too.
Shannon I am so sorry to hear that. Maybe the combination of wheat-free/gluten-free/LC will make them go away entirely eventually.

I was surprised at the ubiquitous nature of wheat. It is in everything. Even soy sauce.

Anyway, God Bless and to heck with the percentages when one of those things strikes.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: princesswu
Stats: Goal Met-(225 to 150!!!!) New G:150-154/145/135
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan/04
Checking in.

Down to 152.2 today. Very happy about my 2 day results. Calories 1st day around 1500 and 2nd 1600. So definitely not as hungry today as I was yesterday. Hoping for true ketosis by tomorrow. I do have ketosis breath today though.

talk tomorrow, Heather
Old 09-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lonestarstamper
Stats: 221/210/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 2011
Thank you soooo much reddarin. That will be a big help to me . I don't keep a food log, just try to eat small portions. I am sure I need to use myfitpal or one like that, just a little confused on HOW to use programs as such.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lonestarstamper
Stats: 221/210/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 2011
and yep a Texas girl through and through. There does seem to be a lot of people from Texas. Wish we could have some type of meet-up group, live interaction seems to help me
Old 09-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SgtBrownsWife
Stats: (height 5'10)254/206.8/145
WOE: LCHFMP
Start Date: 11/27/11
Hi Everyone!!!

I have been doing LCHFMP the last 35 days and did Atkins induction for 8 months before that. I have lost 39.2 lbs total and I have lost 17.2 lbs in the last 35 days on my version of LCHFMP. It's great to see others with a similar idea!! I have a thread with a great group Of ladies if any of you guys want extra support!!

Mary

My modified version of the fat fast 5.8lbs lost in less than 3 days!!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #140
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Flavia
Stats: lose 50lbs
Peeking in....I am over with Mary on the 5.8lbs lost in less then 3 days thread and also on the nutritional ketosis thread.....

hope u don't mind me peeking in here now and then. I have lost 14.4lbs so far. I should be getting my book tomorrow and also have ordered the free meter to make sure I am on track.....
Old 09-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #141
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarstamper View Post
and yep a Texas girl through and through. There does seem to be a lot of people from Texas. Wish we could have some type of meet-up group, live interaction seems to help me
Maybe if this was one of them tiny 10 mile across at the widest point states up North
Old 09-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #142
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarstamper View Post
Thank you soooo much reddarin. That will be a big help to me . I don't keep a food log, just try to eat small portions. I am sure I need to use myfitpal or one like that, just a little confused on HOW to use programs as such.
Well, the way I look at it is like this: If you are doing okay without logging then don't bother logging. If you are just starting out, logging can be the bridge too far and make you discouraged about being successful since it can be a steep learning curve just getting started with LC.

If you aren't losing and logging would help then you have a few options.

1. Use a smart phone app or website or both.

2. Just decide to limit your pool of foods for a while. That way you can figure out what is what and how much is safe to eat and meet your targets. That requires a bit of up front work but after that you are on auto-pilot and losing weight.

3. Don't worry about the numbers in detail. Just keep your carbs low - from zero to say 100 or so and see how it goes. You'd want to watch out for eating too much protein and that is a very easy mistake to make that will stall you.

Lots of people are successful without logging. If you get stuck then it is time to focus more effort on what you are doing. That is no different from any healthy way of eating.

=)
Old 09-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #143
Blabbermouth!!!

Alrighty, numbers for today are:

Calories: 1958

074 Pro grams
179 Fat grams
020 Car grams

81/16/4

Holy cow. I made the rootbeer float thing that theLossGirl introduced me to. It is awesome! Can't wait to try it with different flavored diet soda like Buffy45 was talking about. I'm gonna try it with Big Red Zero.

I went ahead and attached my log and graph again so the curious can see how I got to my numbers for today.
Attached Images
File Type: png Graph_09122012.png (23.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Log_09122012.jpg (36.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #144
Blabbermouth!!!

How much magnesium should I be taking??? Does it go by body weight or is it just a generic number????
Old 09-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Alrighty, numbers for today are:

Calories: 1958

074 Pro grams
179 Fat grams
020 Car grams

81/16/4

Holy cow. I made the rootbeer float thing that theLossGirl introduced me to. It is awesome!.
Delish, right?! BTW, my real name is deborah. My last name is Loss.

My numbers today were:

Calories: 1293

80%F/16.5%P/2.8%Total Carbs

Fat: 115.9 g
Protein: 53.3 g
Carbs: 8.9g Total(8.4g Net)
Old 09-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #146
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3rmanchik View Post
How much magnesium should I be taking??? Does it go by body weight or is it just a generic number????
Seems to be age bracketed. Adult women are around 300 and 400 for men I think.

Whatever your RDA is, Dr. Phinney says to double it.

If you aren't supplementing already then you need to be careful not to start right off with the full dose or you will regret being out of tp.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #147
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Delish, right?! BTW, my real name is deborah. My last name is Loss.

My numbers today were:

Calories: 1293

80%F/16.5%P/2.8%Total Carbs

Fat: 115.9 g
Protein: 53.3 g
Carbs: 8.9g Total(8.4g Net)
Hiya Deborah

My name is Darin. The red in my username is cause I'm a red head. Ppl call me red online all the time.

Your numbers look good again today =)
Old 09-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #148
Blabbermouth!!!

I am 47. so 300 and then double it....slowly hehehehehehehehe
Old 09-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #149
Blabbermouth!!!

Nice name Darin!!! Hi there Darin!!! Hi there Deborah!!!!! Nice to meet ya all!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #150
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3rmanchik View Post
Nice name Darin!!! Hi there Darin!!! Hi there Deborah!!!!! Nice to meet ya all!!!
Thanks and hi there Christina and welcome to the thread
Closed Thread