Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #1051
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82 View Post
Congrats to all the losers! I'm up 1.4 since yesterday. I think it's safe to say my body wants a break. Been stalled for two months now...don't know what to do. Up 4 pounds since July and its not going away.

I'm just going to keep plugging away and I will be rewarded with a smaller number, eventually
Phinney suggests something like that and he said that there is strong support for the set-point phenomena - where you get stuck at a particular weight for no apparent reason and with no response to anything you try to break the plateau.

I've been mulling over an idea for the last few days thinking about the long stall I experienced and what I've learned in these two NK threads.

I do believe the ideal is 85/15/5. It is an ideal which makes it a goal not a mandate. All of us are supplementing our menues with added fat. Particularly CO.

I wonder though, if you could get most of your 85% from animal sources if that would make the difference? I'm thinking that you determine your protein requirement and then eat the fattiest healthy meat you can. Bacon comes to mind. Sausage. Brisket. Pork shoulder. Eggs cooked in bacon grease eaten with a lot of that grease. Mayo made with bacon grease used whenever and wherever.

My line of thinking is that if you can get your fat to protein ratio in the 60s or 70s (as high as possible) from animal sources then maybe make up the other 5% or so with Olive Oil, butter or CO, you would have gotten as close to the ideal as is possible.

Keep absolute carbs as low as possible but under 30g for sure.

Calories should be pretty easy to keep down since the meat is pushing both fat and protein up at the same time.

Absolute vigelance about sugars (like milk and such). Absolute vigelance about polyunsaturates.

Sort of a grab your body by the collar and give it a good shake approach.

Hmmm. I'll have to tinker with my ****** log to see how that would shake out. It may not even be possible. But I think it is. I was just reading a post at a body building site and one of those guys mentioned the keto ratio of 65/35 for fatty meats. I think if you could do 65+ with fatty meats and make up the rest with other LC fats you'd be very close to the ideal.

Last edited by reddarin; 09-26-2012 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Gah. spelling.
reddarin is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #1052
Major LCF Poster!
 
portcop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Ok here I'm at 9.25 am sept 26,2012 I stood on a set of scales thinking about Red vains!!!! You no what that meant: .25. Not bad but my goal was 2.2.but I did not exesice or walk last week and I did have that one day of stress so work harder this week.

Red I think that's a great idea about the web....I buy 40 lbs worth please.

Waiting on Buff.

Think I'm going out to ruby Tuesday tonight. For steak and lobster special they have I don't like going out but it looks good on tv?..
portcop01 is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #1053
Major LCF Poster!
 
portcop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Red is hwc the good fat?
portcop01 is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #1054
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Red is hwc the good fat?
For us? Yes. For my 85/15/5 hail mary pass idea? No. No dairy on that little form of extremism. Want to get as close to zero sugars as possible.
reddarin is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #1055
Major LCF Poster!
 
portcop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Is that a yes we can have it or not
portcop01 is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #1056
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Ok here I'm at 9.25 am sept 26,2012 I stood on a set of scales thinking about Red vains!!!! You no what that meant: .25. Not bad but my goal was 2.2.but I did not exesice or walk last week and I did have that one day of stress so work harder this week.

Red I think that's a great idea about the web....I buy 40 lbs worth please.

Waiting on Buff.

Think I'm going out to ruby Tuesday tonight. For steak and lobster special they have I don't like going out but it looks good on tv?..
Awwww

Wait. You lost .25?

I avoid the TV as much as possible
reddarin is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #1057
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Is that a yes we can have it or not
Yes heh
reddarin is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #1058
Major LCF Poster!
 
portcop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
No I gained....
portcop01 is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #1059
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
No I gained....


Just a tiny bit though
reddarin is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #1060
Major LCF Poster!
 
portcop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
O I thought if I had to give up my hwc I'd cry...it's my treat in coffee...I had that pumpkin muffin and coffe after gym..yummm..do you eat them red?
portcop01 is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #1061
Major LCF Poster!
 
portcop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
But I've lost 10 lbs this month so can't cry over that
portcop01 is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #1062
Major LCF Poster!
 
portcop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Thanks for kiss and hug
portcop01 is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #1063
Senior LCF Member
 
theLossgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 950
Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Hmmmm.

That could be a lucrative Internet business. You eat the pizza - I lose the weight.

Me: Hello, this is Darin, your weight loss representative! What are you going to eat today and how much would you like for me to lose?

Hopeful Person: Hi! What a great service! I'm going to be having a carton of Blue Bell Cookies and Cream, the full half gallon. Can you put me down for a .5 pound loss? I'd like to brag to my girlfriends about my fantastic metabolism.

Me: Yes ma'am! We are running a special this week. 25% off with a 1 month subscription. Would you like to take advantage of that? We include one free condescending look in that offer.

Hopeful Person: Oh, no, I don't think so. My friends are already so jealous. I still haven't told them about your fantastic service hehehehe.

Me: hahaha. Yes ma'am! We'll get your order in right away!

That's just mean, lol! Aren't we supposed to encourage our friends? I will bore anyone who will listen with the efficacy of eating LC, and how much I love the LC lifestyle.
theLossgirl is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #1064
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
O I thought if I had to give up my hwc I'd cry...it's my treat in coffee...I had that pumpkin muffin and coffe after gym..yummm..do you eat them red?
I'm pretty hit or miss in the kitchen lol.

Sometimes I'm a regular chef and other times the thought of having to break an egg open to fry it seems oppressively demanding just to eat.

So, nah, I haven't been very active on cooking the LC recipe type stuff. They sound really good though
reddarin is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #1065
Major LCF Poster!
 
portcop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Red does your w cook for you?
portcop01 is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #1066
Senior LCF Member
 
theLossgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 950
Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I'm pretty hit or miss in the kitchen lol.

Sometimes I'm a regular chef and other times the thought of having to break an egg open to fry it seems oppressively demanding just to eat.

So, nah, I haven't been very active on cooking the LC recipe type stuff. They sound really good though
I just learned, as in this week, how to separate eggs. I never did it before because I thought people only did it to throw away the yolks, which I love. Now I do it to throw away the whites and keep only the yolks. Never realized how ridiculously easy it is, lol. There is something special about egg yolks scrambled in butter. So so delicious and only takes like 60 seconds.
theLossgirl is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #1067
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
I tell you what though. Back around 2007 I mastered the art of the southern biscuit. I mean, I mastered it. I could make melt in your mouth eat 5 of them buiscuits.

For a while there I was living on sausage biscuits and gravy heh. Oh, I mastered sausage gravy too.

So, at some point in time in the future I plan on giving coconut flour biscuits a go. I'll try with two or three of the LC grain free flours.

I'm pretty sure I can perfect an LC version of my sausage gravy too using xantum gum or somesuch.

reddarin is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #1068
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Red does your w cook for you?
I are a bachelor.
reddarin is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #1069
Major LCF Poster!
 
portcop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
As smart and witty has you!!and single.....?
portcop01 is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #1070
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Oh lol maybe I am that. Thank you

I am on the rebound. Just ended a 12 year relationship a couple of months ago.
reddarin is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #1071
Senior LCF Member
 
theLossgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 950
Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I are a bachelor.
Really? For some reason I've been thinking all this time that you are married. Well some lucky person is going to get hold of you soon!
theLossgirl is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #1072
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
We must acknowledge the few ladies in my life for hewning and sanding off my rough edges over the years
reddarin is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #1073
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Well some lucky person is going to get hold of you soon!
I tell you what. I have to wear sunglasses and turn my collar up when I venture out. And the constant banging at the door makes it hard to sleep sometimes
reddarin is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #1074
Major LCF Poster!
 
portcop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Lossgirl what is your plan you are doing?
portcop01 is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #1075
Major LCF Poster!
 
portcop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Red do you suggest to but the book eat fat and get thin??are do you think I already no what's in the book?
portcop01 is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #1076
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Red do you suggest to but the book eat fat and get thin??are do you think I already no what's in the book?
Port, I just don't know. I've never read it and I've never read any reviews on it either.

What books have you read so far?
reddarin is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #1077
Senior LCF Member
 
melisa82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 908
Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Phinney suggests something like that and he said that there is strong support for the set-point phenomena - where you get stuck at a particular weight for no apparent reason and with no response to anything you try to break the plateau.

I've been mulling over an idea for the last few days thinking about the long stall I experienced and what I've learned in these two NK threads.

I do believe the ideal is 85/15/5. It is an ideal which makes it a goal not a mandate. All of us are supplementing our menues with added fat. Particularly CO.

I wonder though, if you could get most of your 85% from animal sources if that would make the difference? I'm thinking that you determine your protein requirement and then eat the fattiest healthy meat you can. Bacon comes to mind. Sausage. Brisket. Pork shoulder. Eggs cooked in bacon grease eaten with a lot of that grease. Mayo made with bacon grease used whenever and wherever.

My line of thinking is that if you can get your fat to protein ratio in the 60s or 70s (as high as possible) from animal sources then maybe make up the other 5% or so with Olive Oil, butter or CO, you would have gotten as close to the ideal as is possible.

Keep absolute carbs as low as possible but under 30g for sure.

Calories should be pretty easy to keep down since the meat is pushing both fat and protein up at the same time.

Absolute vigelance about sugars (like milk and such). Absolute vigelance about polyunsaturates.

Sort of a grab your body by the collar and give it a good shake approach.

Hmmm. I'll have to tinker with my ****** log to see how that would shake out. It may not even be possible. But I think it is. I was just reading a post at a body building site and one of those guys mentioned the keto ratio of 65/35 for fatty meats. I think if you could do 65+ with fatty meats and make up the rest with other LC fats you'd be very close to the ideal.
So, basically eat enough fatty meat to reach my protein requirements, and then reach my required amount of fat by adding in CO, butter etc? But still have fat at 85% and minimum 58g of protein. Right? No dairy (cheese, milk etc) and stay away from veg. oils.

Here are my numbers/foods for the day.

B: Pumpkin Shake, Pork Jowl
L: Water, SF Powerade
D: Beef Stroganoff (Stew meat w/Sour Cream) Zucchini

Cals-1572
Fat-136.4g (79%)
Carbs-22.8g (5%)
Fiber-7.5g
Pro-58.1g (16%)

How does that look? I think the numbers look good, but the weight is not moving down, only UP!

My averages for the past 9 days: Fat 78% Carbs 5% Protein 17%
__________________
Goal 1: 190
Goal 2: 175
Goal 3: 160
Goal 4: 145
melisa82 is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #1078
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82 View Post
So, basically eat enough fatty meat to reach my protein requirements, and then reach my required amount of fat by adding in CO, butter etc? But still have fat at 85% and minimum 58g of protein. Right? No dairy (cheese, milk etc) and stay away from veg. oils.

Here are my numbers/foods for the day.

B: Pumpkin Shake, Pork Jowl
L: Water, SF Powerade
D: Beef Stroganoff (Stew meat w/Sour Cream) Zucchini

Cals-1572
Fat-136.4g (79%)
Carbs-22.8g (5%)
Fiber-7.5g
Pro-58.1g (16%)

How does that look? I think the numbers look good, but the weight is not moving down, only UP!

My averages for the past 9 days: Fat 78% Carbs 5% Protein 17%
Have to cut that sour cream too Melisa. Aged cheese would be okay though because the milk sugars have been converted.

For that particular menu do you know how much added fat grams there are?
reddarin is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #1079
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Are you still experiencing the hunger issue or was it just the phantom thing from thinking about food?
reddarin is offline  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #1080
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82 View Post
So, basically eat enough fatty meat to reach my protein requirements, and then reach my required amount of fat by adding in CO, butter etc? But still have fat at 85% and minimum 58g of protein. Right? No dairy (cheese, milk etc) and stay away from veg. oils.
If you can get to 70% fat from your protein sources I wouldn't add any extra fat unless you are hungry.

And, I'd go up 10 or 15g of fatty protein if needed rather than added fat too.

We have to do some tinkering with it because I haven't mapped out my idea yet. It is just something that has been banging around in my head for a few days.
reddarin is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:58 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.