Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #1591
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Hello everybody . Room for another one ?

I'd like to give this a go for the next couple of weeks and then see how I feel eating higher fat and slightly less protein than currently.

I've stuck to Atkins induction levels quite closely for the last couple of weeks, but feel like I need to shake things up a bit and really go for it for a while to get some serious focus on my health.

My goal is to aim for the bottom end of a 50.2 - 80g daily protein range, and to get a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil a day in my diet too.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone !

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2012, 02:44 AM   #1592
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: han1cka
Stats: 207.5/156.5/135
WOE: LC, NK
Start Date: March 09
<<<Okay everyone, here's the scoop from Dottie about the threshold for having our own board:
Quote:
There is and I was just about to post in the thread about it since contacting the site over and over will not do any good lol.
Basically: the site will consider a plan that has had sustained interest from a large number of members for 6 months or longer.
Every plan wants their own sub-forum, but for obvious reasons that wouldn't be manageable . A lot of plans generate a bunch of interest as they get rolling, then people lose interest. So sustained interest is very important to the "review process"
So we need to keep this going for more than 6 months to get our own board.

Hi Kristn and everybody,
I am following this thread since the beginning, not posting as I do not use the blood ketone meter. One suggestion - can you start the monthly thread ? like September NK?
It will be more user friendly than a monster thread slithering for another 5 months. I did JUDDD before they got their own place, and the monthly threads were OK, I think.
Great day,
Old 09-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #1593
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post

Thank you for giving me such a giggle. I reread the ringworld series just a few months ago. I never gave their food ideas enough credit though.
Wow, Paula, you've come a long way! You look great!!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #1594
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JoeEO
Finally in deep nutritional ketosis...my ketone meter readings the last three days were 1.1, 1.9 and 3.3 this AM. This was after a good solid 5 weeks of low carbing (less than 50 grams carbs). It was the protein!. I lowered it down to about 90 grams/day and here I am. And now that I am in ketosis I have finally lost that gnawing hunger that I have been experiencing over the last couple of weeks. I was actually thinking that this way of eating was not sustainable because I was eating 2000-2500 KCAL - not losing weight and was crazy hungry....Hopefully I can lower my KCAL and get that needle on the scale moving.

Minor things I have changed over the last week

1) Cut back to 1 cup of caffeinated coffee per day
2) Lifted heavy weights for my work out last night...that was really an interesting thing because I lifted 6 hours after I last ate and it totally killed my hunger. I had been doing circuit training (sort of like p90x) since starting low carbing.
3) It SEEMS that eating saturated fats (butter) as compared to monounsaturated fats (olive oil) is MUCH more satiating

4) Have really tried to remain well hydrated. Since I started serious low carbing I have been getting my minerals via my home-made "Keto-aide" (salt, potassium and magnesium, lime juice and touch of stevia) - I have re-doubled my efforts in this regard. It does seem like I am running hotter as I am drink over 120 ozs of water and still feel like I am a little dehydrated at times...

Peace

Joe E O
Old 09-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #1595
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post

Thank you for giving me such a giggle. I reread the ringworld series just a few months ago. I never gave their food ideas enough credit though.

It was quasi-LC. Notice how the fruit you eat to become a Pak Protector results in a big fat belly?
Old 09-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #1596
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I love this site too!i do not use the meters either.but I try to listen to all of you!and follow what y'all do?it has worked down 5.5 lbs in 6 days,just by lowering prot.upping fats and cals.keeping my carbs always under 20. I do always use. Fit day .
Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #1597
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
This is Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's method. I think it's good for getting a starting protein number, but the carbs and fat seem high to me with this method.

This is the Phinney/Volek method (but there's a typo, 25% is .25, not 2.5). The top of their protein range is 1gram per pound of LBM which seems high to me. I think that some people on the thread have found that they need to stay near the lower end of the range to get into ketosis. YMMV.

These are just ways of getting starting numbers. Once you get going you can tweak them to meet your goals.
Yes! Thank you for spotting the typo!! Don't want to be giving out erroneous info.

I also think the protein in these calculations is too high. Both methods of calculating yielded me 76/78 grams respectively, so that's essentially the same. I am keeping to <65 though.

No change on the scale again today..Day 2 of that. But today marks 1 full week and I am down 7lbs. It's quite possible TOM is around the corner so that might have something to do with it. No worries.

Got my blood results and I am VERY pleased. Ferritin is still very low and so is D, so I need to work on that.

Have a wonderful day! It's RAINING in TX, I almost forgot what that is, so this will be a great day for us!

6/22/13 restart of NK
Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #1598
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maybelle
Stats: 225/battling the 190s/150
Start Date: July 2011
So, first day really trying. Just had lunch out with colleagues, had a steak with some rocket salad and Parmesan cheese. I ran what I ate through a nutrition analyzer and that meal alone was nearly 90g protein and I'm shooting for around 60. Even if I'm over-estimating the size of the steak, I've pretty much met the limit. *sigh* now I need to figure out a dinner pretty much without protein. (carb wise, I still have 18g).

This is much harder than I thought- planning wise in any case.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #1599
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Happy Friday everyone!!

Yesterday my (maintenance) intake was:
Protein: 81.9 (18%)
Carbs: 22.5 (4%)
Fat: 155.7 (78%)
Alcohol: 0 (0%)
Calories: 1801
This morning:
Weight: 150.4 (down .8)
Ketones: 1.5
Blood Glucose: 81

I think stress was really effecting my BG. Yesterday was a much less stressful day and I'm back down to normal BG.

I am going to start a new "September" thread today. This one will be locked and direct everyone to the new thread. Please keep an eye out for it!! Until the new thread is posted please feel free to continue posting on this one.

How is everyone else doing??
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #1600
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybelle View Post
So, first day really trying. Just had lunch out with colleagues, had a steak with some rocket salad and Parmesan cheese. I ran what I ate through a nutrition analyzer and that meal alone was nearly 90g protein and I'm shooting for around 60. Even if I'm over-estimating the size of the steak, I've pretty much met the limit. *sigh* now I need to figure out a dinner pretty much without protein. (carb wise, I still have 18g).

This is much harder than I thought- planning wise in any case.
It's amazing how much you learn by putting your food in a tracker!! If it was me I would have a sweetened cream cheese (or mascarpone cheese) something or other for dinner. I hesitate to suggest a few berries with it for the carbs as berries for some people cause cravings and stalls. But if you can handle them, then that's what I would do.

What I do is combine 3 or 4 ounces of the cheese with a few drops of liquid splenda, some vanilla, and the berries. You might not even need the splenda. If you don't want to do berries you can use splenda and some cocoa powder with the cheese for a sweet treat.

This is just me. If I'm not eating a "real" meal, I like to make it feel like a treat, so I add some sweetener.

Good luck!!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #1601
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeEO View Post
Finally in deep nutritional ketosis...my ketone meter readings the last three days were 1.1, 1.9 and 3.3 this AM. This was after a good solid 5 weeks of low carbing (less than 50 grams carbs). It was the protein!. I lowered it down to about 90 grams/day and here I am. And now that I am in ketosis I have finally lost that gnawing hunger that I have been experiencing over the last couple of weeks. I was actually thinking that this way of eating was not sustainable because I was eating 2000-2500 KCAL - not losing weight and was crazy hungry....Hopefully I can lower my KCAL and get that needle on the scale moving.

Minor things I have changed over the last week

1) Cut back to 1 cup of caffeinated coffee per day
2) Lifted heavy weights for my work out last night...that was really an interesting thing because I lifted 6 hours after I last ate and it totally killed my hunger. I had been doing circuit training (sort of like p90x) since starting low carbing.
3) It SEEMS that eating saturated fats (butter) as compared to monounsaturated fats (olive oil) is MUCH more satiating

4) Have really tried to remain well hydrated. Since I started serious low carbing I have been getting my minerals via my home-made "Keto-aide" (salt, potassium and magnesium, lime juice and touch of stevia) - I have re-doubled my efforts in this regard. It does seem like I am running hotter as I am drink over 120 ozs of water and still feel like I am a little dehydrated at times...

Peace

Joe E O
Congratulations Joe and getting into ketosis!! Since most of us are seasoned low carbers, it does seem like keeping the protein low enough really is the key!

And thanks for sharing all of your tips!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #1602
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Flavia
Stats: lose 50lbs
Good morning

Welcome all the newbies!!!!!!! Glad you joined!!!!!!
Congrats to all the losers!!!!!!! Keep at it!!! It works!!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #1603
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Kristin.

I'll try and pick up some mascarpone on the way home.

At the risk of turning this into a personal rant- while my hubby is supportive of me eating low carb, he doesn't seem to be able to get on board of the fat train so to speak. When I made my coffee with CO and HWC this morning, all he saw me put in my cup was the HWC and already to that he reacted quite strongly "should you be having that". *sigh*. I tried to explain that this will still be linked to controlled calories, but not sure he totally bought into it. That's a part of the reason why I think I'll probably be better off sticking to high fat B/L and a more protein-y dinner...

Anyway, if this works (and I believe/hope that it will) he might be convinced by some weight loss...
Old 09-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #1604
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
Down another .5 lb this morning!

I decided to take a morning fasted BG and ketone reading, just to compare to my evening readings.

BG: 91
Ketones: 3.5

I'm wondering if those with a lot of body fat still to lose will have higher ketone readings since there's always so much more fat available. I saw Jimmy Moore's recent numbers and his ketone readings are very high. I also wonder how exercise increases or decreases ketones circulating. On the one hand exercises uses the ketone bodies, on the other hand it burns more fat...hmmm...

Have a great day! Mine is running around like a crazy person with errands.

--Jamie
Old 09-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #1605
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Morning everyone and welcome to the newcomers, glad people are finding us and this wonderful thread that Kristn started and has kept growing and growing. Yay on having a new Sept. thread, I will be looking for it.

Just got my meter on Wed. and right now am testing AM and PM until I know I am firmly in the range of .5 - 3. At night I have been 1.7 but yesterday morning was only .3. This morning though I was .7 so that made me happy. After I see 3 - 4 days of being in both morning and night I will slack off of the testing unless I think I have messed up.

On the cost of the strips, I ordered some online from CVS, they were the same price as most places, I think 29.99 but sometimes I get an offer from them via email for 20-30% off an online order, next time that happens I will see if it applies to the strips.

I am nearing the end of my 2nd week and couldn't be happier. I had a big loss last week, over 6 lbs and this week I haven't lost yet but think I will show a small loss by Monday. I had expected that so wasn't too upset but wouldn't it be fun to sustain those first week losses each week, wooo hooo!

If you get the lowcarbing among friends FB updates, there was a recipe on there this morning to make you own cream cheese!!! I may give it a try although it was on sale this week at Kroger and we picked up 6 packs of it.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #1606
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybelle View Post

At the risk of turning this into a personal rant- while my hubby is supportive of me eating low carb, he doesn't seem to be able to get on board of the fat train so to speak. When I made my coffee with CO and HWC this morning, all he saw me put in my cup was the HWC and already to that he reacted quite strongly "should you be having that". *sigh*. I tried to explain that this will still be linked to controlled calories, but not sure he totally bought into it. That's a part of the reason why I think I'll probably be better off sticking to high fat B/L and a more protein-y dinner...

Anyway, if this works (and I believe/hope that it will) he might be convinced by some weight loss...
Maybelle, I have found that it is best to say little when I change my WOE. If I try to explain to DH beforehand, then he will make those comments, he really is trying to help me but it doesn't help and you get the feeling that "they" think you are cheating or slipping, whatever.

If you do want to talk more with him, just type up a list of things you can have and give it to him to refer to so he doesn't have to play the diet policeman role
Old 09-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #1607
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_2_4 View Post
Okay, so if I have this right, I'm 155cm = 55 grams of protein a day, 137.5 of fat and 27.5 carbs, right? Did I get it?!?! Wooohoooo that was exciting and I didn't even have to get my 16 year old to help me LOL

Thank you sooooooooo much for posting that!!! And yes, what I saw online or wherever was just like that. It also had you put in your measurements and stuff but I think that was more to calculate lbm.

Okay, enough for me tonight I really am going to try and sleep, gotta be up in five hours

Yes that is exactly right.

The protein is a range of +/-10% of the median so for you 50-60. Just adjust your other numbers accordingly based on what you do in your range.

Fat grams are also a range of P*2.5 to 3.5 so you have a lot of go up room on fat grams.

=)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #1608
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
If you do want to talk more with him, just type up a list of things you can have and give it to him to refer to so he doesn't have to play the diet policeman role
Diet Policeman! Hah! I wasn't planning to tell him anything but he pounced. In any case, I'm determined to give this a proper go so we'll see. I'm tempted to say I have nothing to lose, but that's the whole point [lame, I know!]
Old 09-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #1609
Big Yapper!!!!

For our more experienced high fat eaters, does ongoing high fat consumption help with dry skin? I sure hope so as we are going into the winter months and I can't seem to get enough lotion on my skin to stop the dry flaky itchy skin. Seems like it is already starting to help but maybe that is just wishful thinking. I know what you feed a pet will result in a more shiny coat or not.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #1610
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceymichelle
Stats: 150/127/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 12

This is soooo interesting! I'm gonna give this a go! I think I do eat too much protein. I think this may be the reason I think LC makes me tired....too much protein. Some questions tho if you don't mind...
1. I weigh 140lbs. How do I know what my lean body mass is?
2. What are some good fat sources that make up your usual daily fat intake? Oils, butter, coc products, avocado,
Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #1611
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Flavia
Stats: lose 50lbs
Nutritional Ketosis (NK) - High Fat, Med Protein, Low Carb - FAQ and Links!

here is a link to a lot of the questions. Hope this helps
Old 09-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #1612
Major LCF Poster!

Hey everyone!! The September thread is up, you can find it here.

I will be asking the mods to close this thread. So start posting in the new one!!
Closed Thread