Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #1561
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flavia
Stats: lose 50lbs
Darin I could do ****** almond milk just fine...it gave me a list to choose from....weird

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #1562
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/22/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Is it too late to change the spelling from "keytosis" to "ketosis"?
Oh my goodness I can't believe I did that! I don't know if it is possible to change it or not. Does anyone else know if it's possible to edit a post?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #1563
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/22/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I e-mailed the moderators to ask about moving the Nutritional Ketosis material to the "Weight Loss Plans" area as a recognized plan, so that we would be able to start multiple topical threads (say, challenges, high fat recipes, questions about using a testing meter, FAQ, example menus, success stories, etc.) under the NK heading, instead of just adding to this voluminous single thread, which now goes on for over 50 pages and over 1500 posts. They did not respond to my message, but did move this thread into the "weight loss plans" area. However, we are in the "other plans" which just gives us this one mega-thread to continue to add posts to, which is no improvement, so far as I can see. I will email the moderators again to clarify my request, but it might help if others would e-mail them also with similar requests. What I was hoping for was something equivalent to the JUDDD or Protein Power setup, which allow for multiple threads and stickies, rather than one huge thread that becomes unmanageably long, regardless of where it sits on this board.
I would love this - hope it happens!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #1564
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Dottie told me that if we start a NK recipe thread in the recipe room we can ask for it to be a sticky.

Thanks for working on getting us a place of our own.
I just started a thread in the "LowCarb Recipes and Menus" area, under the heading, "High fat, low to moderate protein recipes?" Can you ask Dottie to sticky-ize that? If the title isn't helpful, I'm happy to have it changed to something else (like "Recipes for Nutritional Ketosis" or whatever you or Dottie like).

I encourage other people to add to that thread. I cut and pasted from postings I had made to the "stalled but determined" challenge thread, since that was faster than typing the recipes in all over again.

Edited: Woohoo, the high fat recipe thread has been made a sticky! Great work, Kristn and Dottie!

Last edited by svenskamae; 09-13-2012 at 04:49 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #1565
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
I also just wrote to Dottie asking if there was some sort of threshold to get our own board. It would be great to have individual threads with questions rather than this long thread.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #1566
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
It can be a challenge to find recipes that are high in fat but only moderate to low in protein, especially if you don't use artificial sweeteners; things like lowcarb cheesecakes and most fat bombs and shakes are not workable for those of us avoiding all sorts of sweeteners. I would like to start an NK-friendly high-fat recipe thread here, but I can't do so under the NK rubric in this "other plans" part of the board. I'll start a thread on the "recipes help and suggestions" part of the board, and I encourage others to post there, too.
Great idea (recipes that aren't using any sweeteners)!

I find cream cheese and peanut butter very tasty without sweeteners. I need to try it with almond butter, but the PB was handier. No sweetening necessary.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #1567
Major LCF Poster!

Okay everyone, here's the scoop from Dottie about the threshold for having our own board:
Quote:
There is and I was just about to post in the thread about it since contacting the site over and over will not do any good lol.
Basically: the site will consider a plan that has had sustained interest from a large number of members for 6 months or longer.
Every plan wants their own sub-forum, but for obvious reasons that wouldn't be manageable . A lot of plans generate a bunch of interest as they get rolling, then people lose interest. So sustained interest is very important to the "review process"
So we need to keep this going for more than 6 months to get our own board.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #1568
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Mike: I fixed it.
sven: your recipe thread is a sticky now.

About plans getting their own sub-forums. The general criteria is: 6 months (or more) of sustained interest from a large number of members. At that time, they will review the threads, activity and general interest and decide if a sub-forum is warranted.
Please don't flood the site with requests for a forum, it won't do any good.

I do have some suggestions that will make navigation easier.
Start a monthly thread. Make sure to link the new thread as the last post in the old one, then use the "report post" button and ask us to close it - then link the old post in the first post of the new thread. That way you're creating a chain for people to follow.
You might also include the recipe sticky link High fat, low to moderate protein recipes? to make that easier to find we well.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #1569
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kristn is the recipe link the same as svens or rather Mikes????? if so I am subscribed....if no please give the link!!! TY very much for all ur guy's help and Dottie for you also

Last edited by Flavia; 09-13-2012 at 05:04 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #1570
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3rmanchik View Post
Kristn is the recipe link the same as svens or rather Mikes????? if so I am subscribed....if no please give the link!!! TY very much for all ur guy's help and Dottie for you also
I believe the recipe link is the "High fat, low to moderate protein recipes?" link, with sticky status, in the "Lowcarb Recipe Help & Suggestions" part of the board, under the "recipe forum sticky threads."

Thanks, Kristn and Dottie, for the clarification on getting our own plan area. In the meantime, let's all keep posting here. It's very reasonable to expect a plan to show continued interest for 6 months before elevating its status to it's own big area on the "weight loss plans" part of the board. Since Kristn started the NK thread in mid-July, that means that we may be able to change our status around January 15, 2013 (which is a year from the day I started doing lowcarb. )

Last edited by svenskamae; 09-13-2012 at 05:13 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #1571
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
If you guys do decide to end this thread and start a new one, just use the "report post" icon on the left side of the first post and we can close this one- be sure to link the new one on here first so people will know where to go
Old 09-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #1572
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ja, don't lose me.....I am having anxiety attacks now....lololol
Old 09-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #1573
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom_2_4
Stats: 298/210/150ish
WOE: Atkins for the first 100 lbs now doing NK
Start Date: August 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I also just wrote to Dottie asking if there was some sort of threshold to get our own board. It would be great to have individual threads with questions rather than this long thread.
I agree! It's very hard to even get a grasp of what's going on for a SUPER BUSY beginner

Where is the cheat sheet at now? I looked every where and it moved! I went and bought a tape measure today and wanted to get to work!!!

Also went to the store and bought organic butter that has been fed grass LOL, virgin organic CO and some omega 3 because I see a lot of people on here taking that. OOOOOOOH and got both of the books on my kindle, not the sci-fi one though I'm more of a nonfiction reader

Last edited by mom_2_4; 09-13-2012 at 05:34 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #1574
Major LCF Poster!

Miker295's FAQ on nutritional ketosis is here:
Nutritional Ketosis (NK) - High Fat, Med Protein, Low Carb - FAQ and Links!

I hope that link works; this is the first time I tried to put in a link in a LCF post. Alternatively, do a search for "Nutritional Ketosis (NK) - High Fat, Med Protein, Low Carb - FAQ and Links" on the main board. It was just posted today, I think so you should find it on the first page of the main lobby area.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #1575
Senior LCF Member

Where is the link that allows you to enter your stats and get an approximate starting point for the carbs/protein/fat ratios? Am I just missing it?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #1576
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_2_4 View Post
Where is the link that allows you to enter your stats and get an approximate starting point for the carbs/protein/fat ratios? Am I just missing it?
Hmm. I don't remember seeing a post like that.

Here is the FAQ thread that Mike created, maybe that has what you are asking about?

Old 09-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #1577
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Finishing up my 11th day, still feeling good and ready to keep on going.

Here is my data for today:
Calories 1289
Fat 28 g - 72.3%
Carb 10 g - 3.1%
Prot 81 g - 24.6%

2 hours after dinner, the following:

Ketone reading 1.7
BG 78
Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #1578
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Wow, you all have been very busy today taking care of business!! Thanks you all and Dottie for doing all that. We are now somewhat Official!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #1579
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
WOE: low cal/low carb
Hello everyone!

Subscribing to new location! ...or was I still subscribed? Better safe than sorry
Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #1580
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
Here were today's numbers:

Calories: 1,792
Carbs: 8
Fat: 164
Protein: 69

Calories were a bit higher today. My fat was too high and I didn't get as much protein in as I prefer. But I'm still comfortable with those numbers, especially since I did a circuit training bodyweight workout this morning and ran 2 miles after that.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #1581
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Hmm. I don't remember seeing a post like that.

Here is the FAQ thread that Mike created, maybe that has what you are asking about?

No, I thought it was on the cheat sheet that mom2zeke posted on that other thread I started but maybe I saw it somewhere online when I was researching. You put in your stats like weight height and different measurements and I think maybe your goal weight and it tells you a starting point to obtain NK, of course it will probably need to be tweaked.
The adding fat is really throwing me off mentally, I guess it's a mental block. I have lowered my protein, and carbs of course, but not sure how much fat to add in to begin with. I'm sure somewhere it Says I just have to keep reading.

Also how am I supposed to know my desired body fat in%? I know my goal weight, but that's it.

Ugh, I've got to get some sleep, I have two kids with the flu, I've worked a ten hour day and been to three different appointments today between kids! I think I need to take a vacation just to have the time to sit and read all of this stuff
Old 09-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #1582
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3rmanchik View Post
Darin I could do ****** almond milk just fine...it gave me a list to choose from....weird
Ah, but was 'almond milk' actually on the list? I scanned about 6 pages of results before I gave up.

I searched 'milk' too, which is how I found out that Goat Milk is listed

I made an almond milk milkshake today. Wow! It was very delicious.

1cup almond milk
instant coffee to taste (I used about a tbs)
cocoa powder (about a tbs)
Torani Hazlenut sf syrup to taste
ice

Doh! I didn't add the cocoa to my log

It did change my numbers a hair. I'll catch it in tomorrow's log since I plan on having that again.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #1583
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
No, I thought it was on the cheat sheet that mom2zeke posted on that other thread I started but maybe I saw it somewhere online when I was researching. You put in your stats like weight height and different measurements and I think maybe your goal weight and it tells you a starting point to obtain NK, of course it will probably need to be tweaked.
The adding fat is really throwing me off mentally, I guess it's a mental block. I have lowered my protein, and carbs of course, but not sure how much fat to add in to begin with. I'm sure somewhere it Says I just have to keep reading.

Also how am I supposed to know my desired body fat in%? I know my goal weight, but that's it.

Ugh, I've got to get some sleep, I have two kids with the flu, I've worked a ten hour day and been to three different appointments today between kids! I think I need to take a vacation just to have the time to sit and read all of this stuff
The only cheat sheet I saw was the excel sheet but it was just to put your already known protein grams requirement and it made it easier to tweak carbs/fats grams.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #1584
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I am going to go against peer pressure and recommend 'Ringworld' by Niven.

Thank you for giving me such a giggle. I reread the ringworld series just a few months ago. I never gave their food ideas enough credit though.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #1585
Senior LCF Member

I am really trying to get the hang of this. I think I did better today. I had
Carbs:16.5
Fat: 80.4
Protein:58.8
From what I have understood so far, I think that's pretty good right? I really have to work on the measuring and weighing of food thing, that's a very foreign concept to me. Speaking of, is that cooked or precooked on the meats?
I absolutely LOVE hwc in my coffee, are the fats from that good fats to add in because I can drink lots of that stuff in a day LOL
Old 09-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #1586
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:

Since linking to outside sites is a no-no, I will attempt to type this. Remember, math is fun!

Height in cm (I am 5'10" so that's 70" = 177.8cm)
-100 = ___ (77.8 for me)
interestingly you can use this number but in kg converted to lbs and it will = pretty close to your goal weight. In my case 77.8kg = 171.5 lbs.

the -100 number is your protein number (for me that's 77.8gms protein/day)
then take that x 2.5 = fat grams (for me that's 194.5)
take the -100 number x.5 for carbs (for me that's 38.9 carbs)

Eating the above will put me in to NK. Is that what you meant by a calculator? Now that I've typed it I think not... Not sure.

You find your desired body LBM, or lean body mass, by taking your goal weight - so for me that's 170 with a 25% body fat. (That's on the fit side for women - a lofty goal for me to be sure, but there you go).
170 x 2.5 = 42.5
170 - 42.5 = 127.5
I can use this goal LBM to get my protein number too...it's 127.5 x .6 = 76. Ta da, just like above.

Sorry you have sick kiddos!

I would say to the fat thing that our success in this thread is the best motivation to try it. Just give it a couple of weeks and see where you are. You will be hooked.

6/22/13 restart of NK
Old 09-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #1587
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_2_4
I am really trying to get the hang of this. I think I did better today. I had
Carbs:16.5
Fat: 80.4
Protein:58.8
From what I have understood so far, I think that's pretty good right? I really have to work on the measuring and weighing of food thing, that's a very foreign concept to me. Speaking of, is that cooked or precooked on the meats?
I absolutely LOVE hwc in my coffee, are the fats from that good fats to add in because I can drink lots of that stuff in a day LOL
Do you feel satisfied with the amount that you are eating? Do you have a protein goal yet? I see that amlyjo posted good information about figuring that out.

If your protein is good then your day looks a bit low in fat to me. Depending on your protein goal you may have to up that a bit along with some more fat.

When looking up the meat to get the nutrients to track it is normally specified cooked or uncooked weight. You can do either just make sure that you're using the right one when you enter it into your tracker.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #1588
Senior LCF Member

Okay, so if I have this right, I'm 155cm = 55 grams of protein a day, 137.5 of fat and 27.5 carbs, right? Did I get it?!?! Wooohoooo that was exciting and I didn't even have to get my 16 year old to help me LOL

Thank you sooooooooo much for posting that!!! And yes, what I saw online or wherever was just like that. It also had you put in your measurements and stuff but I think that was more to calculate lbm.

Okay, enough for me tonight I really am going to try and sleep, gotta be up in five hours
Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #1589
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Today was my first day. Here are my numbers:

Calories:1390
Fat:118
Carbs:12.4
Protein:75.4

75% Fat
22% Protein
3% Carbs

Foods:

60g Bacon
2Tbs Mayo
1 Can Tuna
Italian Dry Salami
CO Oil
HWC
Cocoa Powder
Old 09-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #1590
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlyjo View Post
Since linking to outside sites is a no-no, I will attempt to type this. Remember, math is fun!

Height in cm (I am 5'10" so that's 70" = 177.8cm)
-100 = ___ (77.8 for me)
interestingly you can use this number but in kg converted to lbs and it will = pretty close to your goal weight. In my case 77.8kg = 171.5 lbs.

the -100 number is your protein number (for me that's 77.8gms protein/day)
then take that x 2.5 = fat grams (for me that's 194.5)
take the -100 number x.5 for carbs (for me that's 38.9 carbs)
This is Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's method. I think it's good for getting a starting protein number, but the carbs and fat seem high to me with this method.

Quote:
You find your desired body LBM, or lean body mass, by taking your goal weight - so for me that's 170 with a 25% body fat. (That's on the fit side for women - a lofty goal for me to be sure, but there you go).
170 x 2.5 = 42.5
170 - 42.5 = 127.5
I can use this goal LBM to get my protein number too...it's 127.5 x .6 = 76. Ta da, just like above.
This is the Phinney/Volek method (but there's a typo, 25% is .25, not 2.5). The top of their protein range is 1gram per pound of LBM which seems high to me. I think that some people on the thread have found that they need to stay near the lower end of the range to get into ketosis. YMMV.

These are just ways of getting starting numbers. Once you get going you can tweak them to meet your goals.
Closed Thread