Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #1471
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Hi Mom_2_4!

It would obviously be a lot of work, but if you want to know some of your answers right now, start at the beginning of this thread. Also Kristn has in her signature line, a link to so many helpful posts that will answer some of your questions.

Here is that link: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post15924875 on that page it is (today) post #1025.

Last edited by JMCM1; 09-12-2012 at 12:45 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #1472
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Flavia
Stats: lose 50lbs
I didn't get the performance one.....I got the other one of Phinney and Volek. Should be here today....excited...
Old 09-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #1473
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Alright. I'll take a stab at it. There are a ton of side posts to wade through so it is probably worth refreshing the salient points =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_2_4 View Post

1. I want to get the books you all speak of. Of the two, which one should I start out with?
I cannot answer this one. I have the Art one but haven't read it yet (kindle).

Quote:
2. Are/Is there any food that you can eat "freely" or is everything limited by fat/carb/protein count? I'm wondering what do I do if for some reason I'm starving but all of my daily goals are already met?!?!?!
Hmmm. I doubt you'll get one answer to that question. My answer is Fat. It is the best of the 3 if you have to over do it. It satiates better than the other two and absolutely will not knock you out of ketosis.

Quote:

3. Is there an "induction" phase to this? How soon could I expect to see any kind of results. Just curious of what to expect, I assume the progress will mean I am doing this right.
Only if you are not already LC. Now, if you say you are LC and think you are but have backslide to the point where you aren't keto-adapted then you will suffer for it. Not you but whoever is reading this Q&A.

As an aside, I know I was out of keto-adaption because of what I was pigging out on before I started NK. I felt zero ill effects. YMMV.

Quote:
4. I have ordered the free meter online, when and how often to test? and how soon after beginning NK do you even worry about ketosis. Does it take a day or a week or a month for ketosis to begin?
I have no experience so someone else will have to answer that.

Quote:

5. Is this a "diet" or a lifetime WOE, seems very restrictive to do forever so far to me wondering if I can go back to LC for maintenance since I maintained at LC for many years.
We are very flexible. If you meet your goal and want to do something else we only give 100 lashes at the masthead.

But I think, after you've done it a while, it will seem far less restrictive than it seems now.

Seriously though, you will just go back to maintaining with LC if that is what you want to do.

Quote:
6. Are you EVER allowed cheat days or meals? After doing LC (less than 20 carbs, and usually less than 10) for two weeks and not losing so much as an ounce I could really use one LOL
I bet you get a pretty strong response for this question. Probably you better hope that we don't get cameras installed at your house ala The Real Life.

Quote:

7. I do not understand how the high fat "helps" meaning I have read where peoples fat was low on a particular day so they added coconut oil to increase the daily fat intake etc. I have lots of fat reserve on my body, won't that work LOL
The fat thing is about reaching your minimum grams per day. That's all. Like yesterday I was too low so I added 2T refined CO to the stuff I was heating up.

Quote:
8. Is there a list anywhere of common foods that are okay to eat while doing NK? I.e. foods that meet all three requirements (are there any?) or foods that meet two of them etc?
Well. Really it is all LC food. So, whatever. The focus is on grams.

Quote:
9. What in the world is grass fed butter?? I'm really missing the boat on this one I'm afraid LOL
It is expensive. If you think getting a stick of butter to eat grass is easy do it yourself missy.

Quote:
10. What do I need to do to get started? I'm ready to do this!
Well. Really the only thing for absolute sure, I think, is a food log and a digital scale. But a lot of people are using the thing you ordered to get real blood readings. You have yours on the way so you are set I reckon.

Quote:
I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I'll have a billion more as this is ENTIRELY new to me. I have been eating LC for six years and this looks like greek to me at the moment!!
Your questions are fine. It is a myth, however, that there are no dumb questions. If you doubt that you can ask any basic training drill instructor.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #1474
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom_2_4
Stats: 298/210/150ish
WOE: Atkins for the first 100 lbs now doing NK
Start Date: August 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Hi Mom_2_4!

It would obviously be a lot of work, but if you want to know some of your answers right now, start at the beginning of this thread. Also Kristn has in her signature line, a link to so many helpful posts that will answer some of your questions.

Here is that link: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post15924875 on that page it is (today) post #1025.
I began reading it a few days ago and read several pages today while at work but unfortunately I have to get actual work done too LOL So I have to read now and then when I have the time. It is very informative, but it's also a lot of conversation etc. so it's hard to narrow it down to the "meat" of NK in anything close to a short amount of time.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #1475
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post

We are very flexible. If you meet your goal and want to do something else we only give 100 lashes at the masthead.

I bet you get a pretty strong response for this question. Probably you better hope that we don't get cameras installed at your house ala The Real Life.

It is expensive. If you think getting a stick of butter to eat grass is easy do it yourself missy.

Well. Really the only thing for absolute sure, I think, is a food log and a digital scale. But a lot of people are using the thing you ordered to get real blood readings. You have yours on the way so you are set I reckon.
Oh my goodness I couldn't stop laughing!!! That was hilarious! I was wondering the same thing about the butter LMBO!!!!

I already have the digital scale

I do understand that the carbs still need to be kept low, just didn't know if there was a way to look at things and know how much the fat/protein is like you can with the carbs. Or maybe that will just come with time? That's one thing I LOVE about just the LC because I am soooooo bust it's easy to do at home, on the road etc.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #1476
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
This is day 10.

Does it take weeks??
BEtty, we must have started the same time, I started on Sept. 3rd. I think the book says 2 weeks or more.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #1477
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
In the book they have a graph where the "ideal" range seems to be between 1.5-3. The section is called "The Ketone Zone." Not sure the page as I have it on my kindle.
Thanks Kristn and Judy, I do have to watch and not go over 3 as a diabetic. Doubt it will be a problem from what I have read on here.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #1478
Big Yapper!!!!

I priced grass fed butter the other day, put it back on the shelf. I have had it before, it is good, but will wait for a sale, if that ever happens on that stuff.

"which is usually the day or week after I buy anything full price"
Old 09-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #1479
Blabbermouth!!!

Kerrygold is a good butter
Old 09-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #1480
Senior LCF Member

What is so special about the kind of butter you eat? Is one better for you than the other? You eat real butter and not margarine I am assuming?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #1481
Blabbermouth!!!

Cause the cows actually eat grass instead of feed and no hormones
Old 09-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #1482
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
Quote:
What is so special about the kind of butter you eat? Is one better for you than the other? You eat real butter and not margarine I am assuming?

More Omega 3s and CLA. Just like grass-fed beef over grain-fed.

But do the best you can with your budget. :-)
Old 09-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #1483
Senior LCF Member

Ah ok, I get it now, thank you for clarifying

I am going to get one of the book on my kindle and start reading tonight! AM still undecided which I should start with first, doing some research on them now.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #1484
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Terry...thanks for the comparison of the different blood meters....I really needed to see that and I appreciate your "research" on our behalf (and yours!)

M 2 4 -- we all started where you are...I guess the easiest explanation is that we all seem to have stalled on lowcarb and/or Atkins induction...some of us for YEARS. Jimmy Moore has been doing an "experiment" in eating, NK (nutritional ketosis) and we all sort of got going from that as a start and Kristn's challenge which we all found (you too). Most of us have read the Art & Science of LowCarb (Phinney/Volek). I bought both that book (starter) and the Performance one (which I'm reading now), and that is the basis on which we are doing this "challenge".

So far, most of us have had "results" that are positive in breaking the stalls and seeing changes in how we feel, look, size and even the scales for many. It seems to be working for all of us. If you "stalled/maintained" on locarb for years (as you wrote), then this might be something for you to try. Kristn has a ton of links to the "important stuff" like how to determine the grams of protein and then you can build with how many of fat/carbs, etc. at the base of her signature. She works and usually posts at least once a day.

I "jumped in" as you have done, and then went back to page 1 and slowly worked my way through all the posts until I finally got current. It's well worth doing that in my opinion. Gives lots of background and research and answers ALL your questions. And definitely read the book!

If you "cheat" or even have that in your mindset to do, I'll tell you right now in all seriousness that you will bump yourself out of ketosis. I'm so "sensitive" that I can't even have salad or veggies as that's too many carbs for me to lose weight...I either maintain or gain on even a cup of salad/veggies. So, we are all VERY individual in what we have. But we all pretty well started on a "set grams" of protein and are experimenting out from that. Most have noticed that they will lose weight only on far *less* protein than eating on a regular basis....a big surprise for most of us. And we lose on much *more* fat...good fats from fatty cuts of meat when at all possible, and then if we don't have "enough fat", that's when we up the HWC, CO, and other "stuff" that is very fatty. It's a process and we are all very different in our requirements, so start by reading reading reading!!!!! You don't have to begin today....learn and read for a while and then begin. Good luck and welcome!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #1485
Blabbermouth!!!

Old 09-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #1486
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:

Haha. I had to look up what grass fed butter was myself. And your response was too funny!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #1487
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Terry...thanks for the comparison of the different blood meters....I really needed to see that and I appreciate your "research" on our behalf (and yours!)

M 2 4 -- we all started where you are...I guess the easiest explanation is that we all seem to have stalled on lowcarb and/or Atkins induction...some of us for YEARS. Jimmy Moore has been doing an "experiment" in eating, NK (nutritional ketosis) and we all sort of got going from that as a start and Kristn's challenge which we all found (you too). Most of us have read the Art & Science of LowCarb (Phinney/Volek). I bought both that book (starter) and the Performance one (which I'm reading now), and that is the basis on which we are doing this "challenge".

So far, most of us have had "results" that are positive in breaking the stalls and seeing changes in how we feel, look, size and even the scales for many. It seems to be working for all of us. If you "stalled/maintained" on locarb for years (as you wrote), then this might be something for you to try. Kristn has a ton of links to the "important stuff" like how to determine the grams of protein and then you can build with how many of fat/carbs, etc. at the base of her signature. She works and usually posts at least once a day.

I "jumped in" as you have done, and then went back to page 1 and slowly worked my way through all the posts until I finally got current. It's well worth doing that in my opinion. Gives lots of background and research and answers ALL your questions. And definitely read the book!

If you "cheat" or even have that in your mindset to do, I'll tell you right now in all seriousness that you will bump yourself out of ketosis. I'm so "sensitive" that I can't even have salad or veggies as that's too many carbs for me to lose weight...I either maintain or gain on even a cup of salad/veggies. So, we are all VERY individual in what we have. But we all pretty well started on a "set grams" of protein and are experimenting out from that. Most have noticed that they will lose weight only on far *less* protein than eating on a regular basis....a big surprise for most of us. And we lose on much *more* fat...good fats from fatty cuts of meat when at all possible, and then if we don't have "enough fat", that's when we up the HWC, CO, and other "stuff" that is very fatty. It's a process and we are all very different in our requirements, so start by reading reading reading!!!!! You don't have to begin today....learn and read for a while and then begin. Good luck and welcome!!!

Shelley, I am sensitive as u are (I was the one with the green beans). Do you have your meter yet???? If so what is your avg. number would u say and still lose?????
Old 09-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #1488
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
I am going to go against peer pressure and recommend 'Ringworld' by Niven.

Quote:
2. Are/Is there any food that you can eat "freely" or is everything limited by fat/carb/protein count? I'm wondering what do I do if for some reason I'm starving but all of my daily goals are already met?!?!?!

The only thing I eat freely is fat. I made some of those fat bombs, or I will make a "shake" with HWC and almond milk. I just keep my carbs very, very low (<20 if possible) and keep my protein between 60-70. The rest I let go and it seems to balance out. When you achieve the minimal hunger you find your days set themselves at a lower calorie rate automatically.

5. Is this a "diet" or a lifetime WOE, seems very restrictive to do forever so far to me wondering if I can go back to LC for maintenance since I maintained at LC for many years.

I've only been on it a week but I can see lifetime. But I was already resolved to be LC for life, it was just a matter of turning down the protein dial and upping the fat dial. That was easy for me. I will take an avocado over a piece of chicken any day.

6. Are you EVER allowed cheat days or meals? After doing LC (less than 20 carbs, and usually less than 10) for two weeks and not losing so much as an ounce I could really use one LOL

Step away from the donuts! I cheated for my son's birthday. One piece of ice cream cake and a bunch of popcorn and I had gained 4 lbs that took me over a week to get back off. Wasted time.

7. I do not understand how the high fat "helps" meaning I have read where peoples fat was low on a particular day so they added coconut oil to increase the daily fat intake etc. I have lots of fat reserve on my body, won't that work LOL

dietdoctor.com has some great info on how HFLC diets work. It's about the science of having little enough protein to maintain lean body mass, but not so much that it turns to glucose and stored as fat. The fat you eat does not do that. Oh, here's a great video by Dr. Phinney that explains too.

8. Is there a list anywhere of common foods that are okay to eat while doing NK? I.e. foods that meet all three requirements (are there any?) or foods that meet two of them etc?

I will come back to this and list out some things I eat. Apparently my family wants me to feed them right now. RIGHT. NOW.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #1489
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3rmanchik View Post
Shelley, I am sensitive as u are (I was the one with the green beans). Do you have your meter yet???? If so what is your avg. number would u say and still lose?????
Hi Christina......it's the pits being this sensitive to carbs. I've done Atkins induction for what seems like years and can never even have the induction carbs of salad/veggie.

I got my meter and today is my 4th ay of using it. Before I used the ketostix which started out nicely in the "large" and then went to moderate, then small and trace....and reading the book made me realize that I was becoming keto adapted and no longer able to use the sticks...I had just purchased the last 3 boxes at the store, and they won't take them back! Phooey.

I started out on Sunday with:

Glucose (G) 94 Ketones (K) .7
Monday G-100 K-.8
Tuesday G - 104 K - .9
Today/Wed G- 97 K- 1.0

Weight started at 157.0 and went up to 157.2 and then down to 156.6 and today was also 156.6 (after no veggie/salad carbs)

So...my fasting BG is sort of bouncing around, but many said it might do that. I take it an hour after rising and before I put anything in my mouth and before I take my morning walk with the neighbors. I have been tempted to test glucose at other times, but haven't...and the ketone strips are too pricey to play around with! I'm delighted to see that the keto strips testing (Novo Max Plus) are gradually going up up up....was deeeelighted to see the 1.0 this morning. I feel different. The scale is doing nothing,but I "feel" so much more energy and I just plain feel better than I have in a long time. Now I'm just waiting for the Sunday measurements! ha ha

I'm having some roasted zucchini (from the garden) tonight with ribs, so we'll see what my readings are tomorrow. No salad today.

I've got a graph with weight, bodyfat at night, calories, fat grams/%, protein grams/%, carb grams/% (which is usually around 17 total), and then my glucose and keto readings on the meter. My protein has ranged in 4 days from 52 to 85....oops! Is that what you were asking for??? :-)
Old 09-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #1490
Blabbermouth!!!

Ty, yes I was wondering about it all....this helps a bunch....I can't wait to get my meter so see what it is....being sensitive....tell me about it...gosh and the triggers...tomatoes, green beans, sometime iceberg lettuce ugh....even some sweet chicken (grain fed to the max) will stall me....too much dairy.....(I am allergic anyways I shouldn't have any) or even nuts though I can do macadamia nuts....anyways....ty this is a big help...oh ja about the pee strips....I barely ever made it to trace/small....very very seldom....drove the nutritionist nuts lolololololol
Old 09-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #1491
Blabbermouth!!!

Can I call on you for more questions in the future???? As I am sure I will have more...I expect to stall here soon....I always do my body adapts so friggin fast its not even funny
Old 09-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #1492
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
I'm trying to catch up after a busy day at work! It seems like everyone is starting to get into ketosis. I have a link in my signature to a post I made to try and consolidate important information and links in the thread. It probably needs to be updated with all the great new information that's being added!

Here's the link: Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
Old 09-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #1493
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3rmanchik View Post
Can I call on you for more questions in the future???? As I am sure I will have more...I expect to stall here soon....I always do my body adapts so friggin fast its not even funny
Ha ha...you are too funny. Of course you can ask questions, and hopefully I'll have some insight for you. I'll post tomorrow my results to see if the zucchini messed me up. I've already plugged in all my numbers of food for the day and it looks pretty darned "perfect" for my goals, so we shall see. :-)

Oh.....I have been "diagnosed" as more lactose intolerant than gluten intolerant, but seem to do okay with 40% organic HWC and cream cheese. I also do a little "hard cheddar - yellow and white" in small amounts (like 1 oz/day), but the nuts and seeds! Holy moly....those really cramp my style other than a small amount (8?) of macadamias...but any others are a disaster for me. Can't eat almonds, cashews, pecans, pumpkin seeds, pistachios, etc....all make me gain instantly! My only nuts are macadamia's and not daily. I can't do nut milks either (almond,etc), so I stick with water and HWC. It's quite a process to figure it all out isn't it! :-)

Last edited by shelley; 09-12-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Old 09-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #1494
Blabbermouth!!!

yup, trial and error here....tonight I decided to walk on the wild side and had some cauliflower....wowowowow......LOLOLOLOL
Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #1495
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
Wow! So many newcomers. Welcome all!

Congrats on the losses to Amy and others!

Mid-week check in for me. Here were my numbers for today, they're pretty typical of the past few days:

Calories: 1,554 (my body naturally loves this amount, even without planning meals I seem to end up here)

Carbs: 15
Fat: 134
Protein: 78

Ketones tested at 6 pm after dinner: 3.4 (yup, I'd say I'm in nutritional ketosis about 12 days after starting)

BG 2 hours after dinner: 88 (that's been lower, but I'm pretty happy with 80-90 as a range)

I'm down about 1.5 lbs so far for the week, I think. I don't track that closely. I'll change my stats when I break into the 180s, and I'm SO close.

--Jamie

Last edited by 3Kids4me; 09-12-2012 at 06:14 PM..
Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #1496
Blabbermouth!!!

Jamie that is great!!!! woot woot!!! On and downwards we go!!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #1497
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pantograph
Stats: 222/178.8/170
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Feb 2010 (Paleo)
Quote:
I am going to go against peer pressure and recommend 'Ringworld' by Niven.
I had to Google this one. (You can tell I haven't read any science fiction since high school.) Wikipedia says the main character, Louis Gridley Wu, is 200 years old and in perfect health. Does the book tell us anything about his diet? Or is the secret just to live in low gravity to fool the old scale?

I didn't have any luck getting my CAFO butter to eat grass, so I bought Kerrygold (only about $3 per 1/2 pound at TJs). I have considered getting three more stomachs transplanted so I can eat grass myself, but the pesky AMA won't let my doctor do it. Oh well.

Keep clam, Terry

Last edited by pantograph; 09-12-2012 at 07:06 PM..
Old 09-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #1498
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantograph View Post
(You can tell I haven't read any science fiction since high school.)
Dang. I should have recommend 'Tunnel in the Sky'

Quote:
Wikipedia says the main character, Louis Gridley Wu, is 200 years old and in perfect health.
Niven is such an awesome SF writer. Ringworld introduces the Pack Protectors to Known Space (I think). He built a scale model of the ringworld he describes in the book and it is scientifically doable at full scale.

I started to recommend The Mote in God's Eye but Ringworld was the first Niven book I ever read. Gosh. I will have to get a new copy and read it again. It has been decades since I read it.

Man I better stop there. I am a book nut.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #1499
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
: I have considered getting three more stomachs transplanted so I can eat grass myself, but the pesky AMA won't let my doctor do it. Oh well.

Keep clam, Terry
OMG...that had me laughing!!!! Love the humor on this thread!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #1500
Big Yapper!!!!

Just finished up my 10th day on plan.

Today's totals are:

Calories 1649
Pro 61 - 14.8%
Carb 13 - 3.2%
Fat 151 - 82%

Just got my meter today and tested after lunch, .7. Since it was a new "toy" I just had to test again tonight, and it was 1.7. Woot woot, I am doing something right!!!

Went out to dinner with some friends tonight. Drank diet coke instead of wine and had a cheeseburger/no bun and a few grilled veggies, swimming in some kind of fat, I kind of picked the veggies out and ate about 1/2 cup. When I got home I rewarded myself for sticking to my WOE and had a diet root beer float and one fat bomb.

Made up my 2nd batch of fat bombs today and added the almond butter, they are delish. And, I bought the wilton mold that Rebecca used to freeze them in, makes them exactly the same size and they look so pretty. Better than most chocolates you would buy made with tons of sugar.