Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hippyatheart
Stats: 187/176/137
WOE: Induction
Start Date: June 8, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I don't think there IS any info about the correlation between blood and urine ketones. We are the info. Also, it might help to remember the blood strips and the urine strips are measuring 2 different ketones, and the urine ketones are also affected by many different factors.

I was just wondering if my urine keytones are highif that would correlate to a high blood keystone reading to determine how accurate the urine tests are. That's all. I was doing my own research.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Sorry, I thought you were off to search the web for that info.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alessandre
Stats: 200/169/112
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: June 2012
Hi, everyone! I have been changing my WOE from something more akin to a LC induction plan to nutritional ketosis, and I'm excited about the change. I'm still reading Phinney and Volek's book, which I think is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyatheart View Post
I was just wondering if my urine keytones are highif that would correlate to a high blood keystone reading to determine how accurate the urine tests are. That's all. I was doing my own research.
Not necessarily. The urine dipsticks generally only measure one type of ketone, acetoacetone, while your body produces several others. And the urine testing results can be easily be influenced by things like hydration, how full your bladder is, fluid shifts, and changes in kidney function. So there isn't necessarily a tight correlation between blood and urinary ketones. All things being equal, the urinary dipsticks also tend to overestimate the blood content of ketones.

But it gives you some rough idea, which may be good enough. I'm holding off buying a meter and strips. Right now, I'm losing weight at a good pace. I don't think monitoring blood ketones will help much. If I start to slow down or plateau, I might buy one and track my levels with my weight loss to see if I can determine an optimum level for me.

HTH.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Welcome Alessandre! I'm glad things are going well for you.

When you're ready to start monitoring blood ketones you can send away for a free meter with 2 ketone strips (and get 2 more by registering your meter). It's the Nova Max Plus meter and there's a link for the free offer on Jimmy Moore's original post about nutritional ketosis.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
Start Date: March 2009
Hi, Everyone! Can I join the party?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Of Course!!!

Have you been doing low carb?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

I started Atkins in March 2009, started losing and I'm one of the success stories in "The New Atkins For a New You."

Recently, I started Nutritional Ketosis and I am using a blood ketone meter to check on my ketosis. If you want to see my results, you can look at my blog here.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
I started Atkins in March 2009, started losing and I'm one of the success stories in "The New Atkins For a New You."

Recently, I started Nutritional Ketosis and I am using a blood ketone meter to check on my ketosis. If you want to see my results, you can look at my blog here.
Thanks, Rebecca. The information posted in your blog looks very helpful. Love the graphs! (yes, I am a geek. )
Old 07-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mcchimento
Stats: 261.8/232.0/150.0
WOE: Atkins with a Mediterranean/Paleo flair
Start Date: Everyday is a new day!
Adding my daily menu today as well as my stats:

B- 2 eggs, 3 slices bacon, 1 T. butter
L- 2 cups broccoli florets, 1 T. butter, 1 slice cheese
D- 2 eggs, 1 slice cheese, 3 7/8 oz. pork chops

no snacking, pickles, and almonds

Weigh in today: 226.0 lbs. (Up 0.8 lb. from yesterday)

Calories: 1054
Fat: 79.47 g (68%)
Protein: 69.68 g (29%)
Carbs: 9.57 g (3%)
Sodium: 1803 mg

Watched the sodium count today.
Kept my calories around 1000 today.
Once again, fat a little low, protein a little high but I have been feeling fuller and more satisfied at this level. I hope I can lose at this level as well.

Still waiting for my meter so I am not sure that this level will work.

http://lowcarbmediterraneanjourney.blogspot.com/

Start weight: 261.8
Goal #1: 251.8 (-10 lbs.) met 1/21/2014
Goal #2: 241.8 (-10 lbs.) met 2/19/2014
Goal #3: 231.8 (-10 lbs.)
Old 07-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Rebecca! I've been reading your blog since I read about it on Jimmy Moore's blog. Your recipes look delicious.

I really hope this can help me finally get to goal after 9.5 years! I'm closer than I've been in a long time and have really seen the scale move with this change.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Thanks, Rebecca. The information posted in your blog looks very helpful. Love the graphs! (yes, I am a geek. )
So you think I'm a geek? I resemble that remark. (tee hee)

For the first time since I started this experiment on July 9th, I had a very small sliver of birthday cake and a very small scoop of vanilla ice cream. At first I was going to refuse it, but it was my grandson's 3rd birthday party, and the last time I refused dessert, my daughter-in-law got angry at me. I just did not want to spoil to party.

Then I thought, "At least I can use this as an experiment." So I tested my blood sugar when I got home, and it was 117, when it is usually below 90 an hour and a half after eating.

Plus, I will test my blood ketones in the morning and will be able to see how a small amount of sugar and flour affected it.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

I am having trouble posting. After I get to this thread, I cannot move from page to page, and if I click on "quote" to reply, nothing happens. I was able to do the comment above, and then it's like the whole system freezes up on me. Is anyone else experiencing this?

The only thing it will let me do now is "post quick reply." Even If I click on "go advanced," nothing happens.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Plus, I will test my blood ketones in the morning and will be able to see how a small amount of sugar and flour affected it.
I will be interested in seeing your ketone results!

I'm not having any problems with quoting or posting advanced. Perhaps restarting your computer or using a different browser?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Welcome Rebecca! I've been reading your blog since I read about it on Jimmy Moore's blog. Your recipes look delicious.

I really hope this can help me finally get to goal after 9.5 years! I'm closer than I've been in a long time and have really seen the scale move with this change.
Thanks for reading my blog! I started losing weight after starting nutritional ketosis, too. For the past few days, my weight and inches have stayed the same, but I guess that's to be expected.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #135
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tatsnook
Stats: 131.4/131.4/119
WOE: Atkins, Paleo
Start Date: 11/01/12
My stats for today:
Fat 73%
Protein 21%
Carbs 6%
And Ketostix showed moderate amount about 80 mg/dL. Still waiting for my blood Ketone meter. It would be interested to see if I am in ketosis or not.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm not having any problems with quoting or posting advanced. Perhaps restarting your computer or using a different browser?
I restarted, but it did not help. I then switched from Firefox to Internet Explorer, and now I have no problems. grrr. I prefer Firefox.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carli View Post
Today for example, so far today I've eaten:
1279 calories
109 grams of fat (981 fat calories)
63.5 grams of protein (254 protein calories)
8 grams of carbs (32 carb calories)

So doing the math, that would mean that so far my diet has been about 77% fat. Is that correct? It seems like there should be an easier way.
I know this answer is late (I just got here!), but in case no one else has answered this, yes, that is correct. The easier way I have found to run those numbers is to build a little Excel spreadsheet with the formulas that you used above, and then, when you input the grams of stuff, it automatically tells you the percentages of stuff.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I personally think that the number of grams is more relevant than a percentage.
I agree with this 100%. If you are going by percentages, rather than the numbers of grams of stuff, you could be undereating or overeating.

The best way to come up with what to eat is to:

1) Figure out how many grams of protein to eat, based on your goal weight or actual height

2) Add in as many carbs as you want to be eating

3) Add in as much fat as you need to reach the percentage you are shooting for, such as 70% or (like me) 84%.

If you just go on a percentage of stuff, you could end up with great percentages, like a F/P/C of 85/10/5, but only be eating a tiny bit of food and not enough protein to keep your muscle mass. Or you could be eating a large amount of food, with so much protein that it turns to glucose and causes high blood sugar.

I have created a little calculator to help you come up with those numbers and you can find it here.

You will need to have Excel installed on your computer to download this calculator, and you will need to download it to enter in your own numbers.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Phinney/Volek recommend .6 to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. I believe that I have ~120 pounds of lbm, so I'm shooting for 72 - 120 grams of protein. I've been in the 70-100 range since I've been tracking.
My goal for lean body mass is 99 pounds, so I am eating 54 grams of protein, which is LBM x 0.55, only slightly less than Phinney and Volek recommend.

If I use what my lean body mass is now, I will stay at the weight I am now. That's why I use my goal LBM for my calculation.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member

The urine ketone test strips are not reliable, sad to say. They only measure one type of ketone body, and even then, they only measure the ketones that are spilled into your urine. Once you are keto-adapted, you will stop spilling ketones into your urine, and then you will stop registering on the urine test strips anyway. Because you show a negative on the urine strips does NOT mean you are no longer in ketosis.

When my husband did Atkins in 2000, he never showed even a trace of ketones on the urine strips, even though he was in ketosis and lost over 30 pounds in a few months. I, on the other hand, showed dark purple every time I tested with them, and I never lost any weight.

I know that Jimmy Moore has seen that there seems to be very little to no correlation in the results he is getting from the urine strips and the results he is getting from the blood ketone testing strips.

I am saving my money and not even bothering with the urine strips.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I am excited to get my new strips and to start using them to direct my diet. Does anyone know what time of day is best to test? I couldn't find it in the book, it's just really vague. I wonder if it matters? I guess one would want to test at the same time every day.
I'm not sure if it is in the book or not, but Jimmy Moore is testing ever day when he gets out of bed. I am doing the same.

My book is on order and should arrive soon.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm feeling frustrated because my measurements haven't changed (I don't use a scale) for over 4 weeks, despite the fact that I've stayed on plan, weigh and measure and track everything, eat between 1200 and 1400 calories/day, and generally exercise (walking, elliptical) 3 hours a day (often using up more calories exercising than I took in). I know that people who are keeping calories and carbs low and yet aren't losing get conflicting advise--eat more, eat less, eat healthier, stop stressing, etc.--and I'd like some sort of "objective" measure of what's happening in my body to guide what I eat, for a while.
I have collected some articles on how excessive cardio can sabotage weight loss. If you are interested, you can look here.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Day 1: 1325 calories, 42 grams carbs (but this counted half an avocado as 9 carbs), 90 grams fat, and 94 grams protein; 1675 calories burned with exercise.

Day 2: 1361 calories, 36 total carbs, 79 grams fat, 116 grams protein. 500 calories burned through exercise.

Day 3: 1212 calories, 38 total carbs, 87 grams fat, 67 grams protein; 909 calories burned through exercise.

Day 4: 1516 calories, 21 total carbs, 112 grams fat, 96 grams protein; 650 calories burned through exercise.

Those are pretty characteristic of my diet and exercise. I need to find an alternative to or modify my online tracker, so that I'm getting net carbs rather than total carbs. Does this sound like overtraining and/or too low calorie goals to you?
I wish it were not true, but there is no way to know how many calories you are burning through exercise. If all we had to do was eat less and exercise more, we would all be at our ideal weight.

When you do cardio, your body will not necessarily burn any calories. It may take all the food you eat and convert it to fat. It may start to burn some of your muscles, bones and organs as fuel.

There is a great website called Why Low Carb Diets Work that I highly recommend that explains the concepts written about by Gary Taubes in Good Calories, Bad Calories in simple language. It's all about why Calories in Calories Out is bad science and does not work in the human body.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Oh my just read Jimmy's blog and Rebecca's as well. Their protein is way low!!!
My protein is on the low side of Phinney and Volek's recommendation. For me, I pretty much had to cut the protein I was eating in half to do this. At first, I felt deprived, but now, I am adjusting to it and I'm perfectly satisfied with the smaller amount of protein. If I try to eat more, it just seems like too much!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
For the first time since I started this experiment on July 9th, I had a very small sliver of birthday cake and a very small scoop of vanilla ice cream. At first I was going to refuse it, but it was my grandson's 3rd birthday party, and the last time I refused dessert, my daughter-in-law got angry at me. I just did not want to spoil to party.

Then I thought, "At least I can use this as an experiment." So I tested my blood sugar when I got home, and it was 117, when it is usually below 90 an hour and a half after eating.
Just for the record, two and a half hours after eating the cake and ice cream, my blood sugar is now up from 117 to 141. Just for the sake of science and understanding my body, I am going to test it one more time before going to bed.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:53 AM   #146
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tatsnook
Stats: 131.4/131.4/119
WOE: Atkins, Paleo
Start Date: 11/01/12
Quote:
I agree with this 100%. If you are going by percentages, rather than the numbers of grams of stuff, you could be undereating or overeating.

The best way to come up with what to eat is to:

1) Figure out how many grams of protein to eat, based on your goal weight or actual height

2) Add in as many carbs as you want to be eating

3) Add in as much fat as you need to reach the percentage you are shooting for, such as 70% or (like me) 84%.

If you just go on a percentage of stuff, you could end up with great percentages, like a F/P/C of 85/10/5, but only be eating a tiny bit of food and not enough protein to keep your muscle mass. Or you could be eating a large amount of food, with so much protein that it turns to glucose and causes high blood sugar.

I have created a little calculator to help you come up with those numbers and you can find it here.

You will need to have Excel installed on your computer to download this calculator, and you will need to download it to enter in your own numbers.

I hope this helps.
Thank you for explanation. I payed more attention to percentage instead of grams of fat, protein and carbs. I need to recalculate that stuff because it looks like I am overeating.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

Thanks for all the great links and information Rebecca! I am saving the fat bombs for maintenance because just looking at the recipe I know that I would overeat these.

I love the information about overdoing cardio. I try to stick to the Mark Sisson approach which is lots of low-intensity movement every day and lifting heavy things a few times a week. DH and I started training at an RKC kettlebell studio about 1.5 months ago and it's been really great for the lifting heavy things. I would say that some of the workouts are also very much HIIT. I used to love traditional weight lifting with compound lifts but kettlebells are really working for DH and I right now. I'm kind of rehabbing after having surgery in January to remove a cyst from my lumbar spine.

This morning I saw my lowest weight so far--159! I was worried that my weight would be up because of the killer kettlebell class I took last night. I just hope that this weight sticks (and then goes lower).

I am meeting some girlfriends for dinner tonight and am trying to plan very carefully. I'm eating less for lunch because it's really hard to know exactly what's in restaurant food. I've scanned the menu and made my choices, but the exact amounts are a mystery. I may test my blood ketones tomorrow morning after the mystery dinner tonight.

I'm going to post my macronutrients in grams as well as % since the grams of protein and carbs are probably more important than the %.

This morning's stats:
Food 7/25/12
Carbs: 20 grams - 6%
Protein: 65 grams - 21%
Fat: 105 grams - 73%
Alcohol: 0%
Calories: 1279

7/26/12
AM fasting blood ketones: Not taken
AM fasting blood glucose: 73
Weight: 159
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
My goal for lean body mass is 99 pounds, so I am eating 54 grams of protein, which is LBM x 0.55, only slightly less than Phinney and Volek recommend.

If I use what my lean body mass is now, I will stay at the weight I am now. That's why I use my goal LBM for my calculation.
Question....

If you know your LBM, why would you shoot for less? If you eat less protein than you need to maintain your muscles, wouldn't you end up losing muscle mass? Wouldn't your body start to use muscles to maintain the amino acids needed for repair and maintenance?

I thought lean body mass was what you would weigh if you had 0% body fat.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsnook View Post
Thank you for explanation. I payed more attention to percentage instead of grams of fat, protein and carbs. I need to recalculate that stuff because it looks like I am overeating.
You're welcome! So, in hindsight, how much protein do you think you should have been eating?

Last edited by RebeccaLatham; 07-26-2012 at 08:30 AM..
Old 07-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Question....

If you know your LBM, why would you shoot for less? If you eat less protein than you need to maintain your muscles, wouldn't you end up losing muscle mass? Wouldn't your body start to use muscles to maintain the amino acids needed for repair and maintenance?

I thought lean body mass was what you would weigh if you had 0% body fat.
Lean body mass is anything in your body that is not fat.

I am not shooting for less protein than I need to maintain my muscles. I am shooting for the amount of protein I need to BUILD UP my muscles to the lean body mass I desire to have. Right now, I have LESS muscle than I desire to have.

Where I was when I started in February 2009 at 158 pounds:
44.8% body fat and 55.2% lean body mass
70.8 pounds of body fat and 87.2 pounds of lean body mass

My goal at 132 pounds:
25% body fat and 75% lean body mass
33 pounds of body fat and 99 pounds of lean body mass

Where I am today at 144.8 pounds:
34.4% body fat and 65.6% lean body mass
49.8 pounds of body fat and 95 pounds of lean body mass

So, in other words, so far I have lost 21 pounds of body fat and I have GAINED 7.8 pounds of lean body mass.

I still have another 16.8 pounds of body fat to lose and another 4 pounds of lean body mass to gain.

If I eat the amount of protein I need to maintain 99 pounds of lean body mass, that means I will GAIN muscle eating that amount, not lose muscle.

Does that make sense?

Last edited by RebeccaLatham; 07-26-2012 at 08:30 AM..
Closed Thread