Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #1411
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Help, I need at least 6 more grams of protein without raising my calories too much to meet my requirements for today. I am already having 2 hardboiled eggs for my snack, any other ideas? TIA

Terry, your plan looks good. KUTGW

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #1412
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekaboolie View Post
Good morning everyone!! The palpitations are not comfortable. I believe my electrolytes are off. Unfortunately, I already take a prescription for potassium and magnesium. I was hospitalized back in May for atrial fibrillation and it was found that I have a genetic disorder called Long QT syndrome which is a potassium channel defect....which means never letting my electrolytes (particularly potassium) get too low. I've been supplementing my diet with whole avocados which are high in potassium and drinking lots of water and chicken broth, but it is not abating and is starting to worry me. So, this is my sad farewell. It's back to regular Paleo I go. Maybe I will do Paleo and calorie counting???? Ugh. One of the theories I have is that this diet, because of the high fat content, is energizing and causing a surge in adrenaline which I take a beta blocker to prevent because of the LQTS. LQTS can cause sudden cardiac arrest so I have to be extremely careful about my body's balance. If my theory is correct and the fat is causing these 'energy' surges, then that is why I'm having palpitations. Hm. This is such a conundrum because I need to lose weight. Anyway, I will figure it out. You guys are an awesome group, and I am sad to leave so quickly after only one week. I KNOW this is a great diet plan...just not for me, I guess. Take care!

Julie
I'm sorry that you are having to balance so many issues to find something workable, Julie. I hope that you are able to reach your goal some other way, such as paleo-plus-calorie-counting, and that you feel better.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #1413
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Help, I need at least 6 more grams of protein without raising my calories too much to meet my requirements for today. I am already having 2 hardboiled eggs for my snack, any other ideas? TIA

10g of pork skins:
54 cals
3.1 fat grams
0.0 carbs
6.1 protein grams

=)
Old 09-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #1414
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:

I don't worry about going low on protein on a day-to-day basis; usually I want way more protein than I let myself eat for NK (i.e., under 55 grams/day). You can use the rule of 7's--1 egg or 1 ounce cheese or 1 ounce meat, etc. adds up to around 7 grams of protein, on average--to estimate your protein grams. So having an ounce of cheese might be just the thing, if you are looking to add a bit more protein. Or a few nuts?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #1415
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
10g of pork skins:
54 cals
3.1 fat grams
0.0 carbs
6.1 protein grams

=)
That will be perfect for another snack, thanks!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #1416
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
[quote=reddarin;15936188]May I ask what your magnesium supplement is?

I used to take Phillip's MoM for bathroom issues - er...to prevent bathroom issues. I can't stand the chalkyness - literally makes me gag, so I switched to pill form - but it's $$$. So I then figured out after reading about the benefits of mag that I was using for it's "side effect" that most people don't want. Anyways, I just take a regular vitamin style pill form - mine are 400mg each - OOPS! That means I am at 1600mg/day. I notice no ill effects but the bathroom solution and I know the mag is good for me otherwise too. I have seen it in 250m pills which is what I will get next time (smaller and easier to swallow) and just take enough to keep me close to 1300-1600mg/day. But you would just want to start with the rec dosage and only up it as you see fit. It's a YMMV thing. I also weigh a lot, so you have to factor that in.

Quote:
Yowsir! How do you make this?!
Philadephia cream cheese and/or my store brand flavors. My store brand makes a jalepeno cream cheese and it of course has no sweeteners. I like the chive and onion type flavors too. I spread them on OMM or just eat with something like bacon. Just read the label!
Old 09-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #1417
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/184.6/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke;15935651[B
Doggygirl[/B]--I only feel the appetite suppression occasionally. .
DARN. I too can eat a lot. I mean a LOT. I don't feel as out of control though now as I did on WW. While I have not had a lot of luck (yet) being able to keep to anything much below 2,000 cals consistently, I am confident things will continue to improve. Right before I got here, I was experiencing carb binges that were like an out of body experience. Like I had absolutely no control over my body going to the grocery store and buying cookies and candy and eating it all. THAT is cRaZy! If things never improve any more than they already have, I will be happy - I'm in a much better place now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekaboolie View Post
The palpitations are not comfortable. I believe my electrolytes are off. Unfortunately, I already take a prescription for potassium and magnesium. .....So, this is my sad farewell. It's back to regular Paleo I go.
Julie it sounds like you are making a good decision - no need to take risks with your health!!! I'm just curious - were you eating much coconut oil? That supposedly kicks up the thyroid and I'm wondering if CO was a factor? At any rate - good luck to you and I hope everything works out well. Glad you have a good doc - a rare commodity these days.

Quote:
Rough night last night, sleeping that is.
I hate nights like that!!! Sounds like you are being chipper anyway - I hope your sleep is better tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
OK.....here are my morning readings....Glucose went up again....2 days ago was 94, yesterday was 100 and today is 104. What is going on?
I don't have much insight as I only recently started taking my BG readings. Sounds like we are in similar places - I too am fighting to get my FBG under 100. Mine was 100 yesterday (down from previous days) but back up to 103 today.

One thing I've read in several places is that the meters are not 100% accurage. So readings between 94 and 104 might actually be the exact some BG level. I guess some meters are tighter than others with accuracy levels. Just something to look at I guess. I keep reading about people with very good BG results over time with NK, so I'm trying to be patient. (I have plenty of patience, so long as I can have whatever I want RIGHT NOT DANGIT!!! )

Higher cals than I would like to see yesterday, but overall an OK day. FBG 103 this morning and ketones .6. I'm going to try a small snack right before bed, and another one in the middle of the night if(when) I wake up to see if that helps my FBG. Some other people are experimenting with that the idea comes from the book Diabetes Miracle. Goofy book name, but some interesting info about metabolism that seems relevant and interesting to me right now with BG issues.

Anyway...hope everyone is having a good day. I want to do more internet exploring and/or reading in LC Living. But homework calls. I'll treat myself to some "me" reading time later maybe.

DG

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154
Old 09-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #1418
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlyjo View Post
That means I am at 1600mg/day.
Lordy that is a lot of magnesium! lol wow! I take about 400 right now but I am going to up it to 800 over the next few weeks.

Quote:
Philadephia cream cheese and/or my store brand flavors. My store brand makes a jalepeno cream cheese and it of course has no sweeteners. I like the chive and onion type flavors too. I spread them on OMM or just eat with something like bacon. Just read the label!
Dang that sounds good. I checked at Wal-Mart a little while ago and, of course, they don't have that jalapeno flavor. I'll have to drop by Albertsons and Kroger to check them next time I am out. Thanks =)
Old 09-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #1419
Big Yapper!!!!

DG, yes, meters can vary a lot in BG readings. I always use the same one and just watch for a trend but it is almost always different than the doctors when I am there. As a diabetic, I can feel when I am real high,(too high) and when I am too low.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #1420
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Lordy that is a lot of magnesium! lol wow! I take about 400 right now but I am going to up it to 800 over the next few weeks.

Dang that sounds good. I checked at Wal-Mart a little while ago and, of course, they don't have that jalapeno flavor. I'll have to drop by Albertsons and Kroger to check them next time I am out. Thanks =)
Your in TX? HEB has it! Ya know when you make jalepeno poppers? It tastes like that. You could probably take jarred jalepenos and dice them up, as much as you can stand, with a few oz of cream cheese and some cheddar. Mix it up and there you go!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #1421
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: island girl2
Stats: 225/196.2/150
WOE: starting juddd
Start Date: March 2010/restart sept. 2012/hcg apr 13
bumping to read later
Old 09-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #1422
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Your in TX? HEB has it! Ya know when you make jalepeno poppers? It tastes like that. You could probably take jarred jalepenos and dice them up, as much as you can stand, with a few oz of cream cheese and some cheddar. Mix it up and there you go!
Hooray!!

I'll go get some in the next day or two I hope. Sounds really tasty.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #1423
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
juliekaboolie--I'm glad that you are making the right choices for your health. But I am sorry to see you go.

It's official--I can hardly keep up with all the posts!

Super stressful day again for me. I can feel the cortisol rising. I can't wait to see my girlfriends tonight and let off some steam!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #1424
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Wow! You guys have been busy today! I bumped up my carbs and drank a coconut water (lots of potassium) and must report that the heart palpitations re mostly gone. Yay! So I will peek in here from time to time as I still believe this to be a great way to lose weight and live, but I'm officially headed back to the Primal Blueprint woe which is essentially Paleo with dairy if you can tolerate it. I can't remember who asked but
I was having 1 tbsp CO in my coffee every morning for the past 3 weeks to help with constipation. I stopped it yesterday because it gave me a revved up feeling and didn't make my heart palps better. Take care!!!

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
Old 09-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #1425
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
I'm really confused. My food never goes exactly the way I planned it, so today my totals ended up looking like this:

Calories 1,357

80% Fat(119.5g)/ 17.6% Protein(59.3g)/ 2.4% Total Carbs(8g Total; 7.1g net)

When I used one of my ketostix, and used an online conversion chart, my number was more than 7 mmol/L. Does that sound right, or am I a total doofus?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #1426
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
My #
Cal-1297...
Fat.118.3......78%
Prot.63.4......19%
Carbs.9.8......3%

I think this is good # for me so far.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #1427
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
I'm really confused. My food never goes exactly the way I planned it, so today my totals ended up looking like this:

Calories 1,357

When I used one of my ketostix, and used an online conversion chart, my number was more than 7 mmol/L. Does that sound right, or am I a total doofus?
Hi Lossgirl!

What are your absolute protein gram goals? Absolute grams of Protein and carbs are probably the most important numbers to get right. The %s aren't as important.

What online conversion did you use? According to what I've read there really isn't a correlation between the urine ketostix and the blood levels of ketosis.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #1428
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Calories 1,357

tLG those numbers look perfect!

Those ketostix are not reliable. They are the bathroom type, aren't they?

The problem with them is that after your body is adjusted to using ketones for fuel it doesn't produce a lot extra to be expelled. And what does get expelled also goes out through sweat, breath (moisture), your eyes, etc. And the time of day and current real ketone levels, activity, et. al. can make them give you funny readings.

Lots of people have great success using them. Lots don't. You might be in the second group. No worries!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #1429
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lonestarstamper
Stats: 221/210/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 2011
time to catch up on the reading again....you all are fast with the posts
Old 09-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #1430
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Hi Lossgirl!

What are your absolute protein gram goals? Absolute grams of Protein and carbs are probably the most important numbers to get right. The %s aren't as important.

What online conversion did you use? According to what I've read there really isn't a correlation between the urine ketostix and the blood levels of ketosis.
Hmmm, my protein goals? I guess between 55 and 65 grams a day, depending on how many calories I eat that day. If I eat even a little over that amount of protein, I don't seem to lose very well.

I try to keep my calories below 1400 per day. It seems that keeping my fat around 80% is the key. I keep my carbs very low, and then my protein settles in the range I mentioned previously. I cheated a little over labor day weekend (no high carb food, but about 4 flavored martinis over the three days). I gained a little over a half pound and was not able to lose it until I tweaked my diet with the higher fat and lower protein. I then lost it in a couple of days. If I'm not mistaken, I'll be down even further by the end of this week due to the tweaks.

I guess my question is, what is nutritional ketosis, as opposed to regular ketosis? Can you have too many or too little ketones? Or is it a matter of just staying in ketosis all the time?

Oh yeah, and here is the link to the chart I used. I now see it's for glucose values, not ketostix (silly me, lol!) but it still might be helpful to someone. Conversion of Glucose Values from mg/dl to mmol/l
Old 09-12-2012, 04:07 AM   #1431
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
tLG those numbers look perfect!
Thanx Reddarrin! I don't know why I'm so worried about the smallest details. All is well with low level of hunger, high level of energy, and now weight loss since I got my fat % up. If it's working, and you're healthy, why sweat the small stuff?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #1432
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanx Reddarrin! I don't know why I'm so worried about the smallest details. All is well with low level of hunger, high level of energy, and now weight loss since I got my fat % up. If it's working, and you're healthy, why sweat the small stuff?

If you're protein is right and you are losing then the tool is wrong =)

The blood meter that lots of ppl in this thread are using can still be tricky to use to get accurate measurements. I read a lot of posts about weird results and response posts on doing different things to get good readings.

Kudos to ya'll that can stand the daily needle pricks. For me ...
Old 09-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #1433
Blabbermouth!!!

HEY! mom2zeke!

I just wanted to say thank-you for posting this thread! Thanks to the many other very informative participants too!

Frankly, I was skeptical about grams in favor of percentages because I'd been so successful with the first 60 pounds just logging and watching percentages.

And the formula was confusing at first.

BUT! Wow! hehe. Once you get your head around it BOOM!

Anyway. Thanks for helping me break my stall and get myself back on track.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #1434
Major LCF Poster!

I want to say I'm so happy this morning I'm in the 70.....now179.4 not seen that in years..it's due to lowering my prot.upping fat and cal..you no I was reading dr Atkins book yesterday he said if you keep your carbs below 20 you will be in ketoeous .you should never have to check your keto.

He said.
protein,more often than not,follows the same metabolic pathway as carbohydrate, which may thus inhibit fat mobilization. A brief trail using foods with a higher fat to protein ratio will,if weight loss resumes tell you if this is your problem.
This is in the new diet revolution book...I did this for 4 days and lost 4 lbs. so that
Told me I was eating to much prot...thanks for starting this site has helped me so much....
Old 09-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #1435
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
Quote:
HEY! mom2zeke!

I just wanted to say thank-you for posting this thread! Thanks to the many other very informative participants too!

I second this! I read all last week and started this NK/lc/hf/mp on Sunday. I'm down 6 lbs since Sunday which is great but I also feel great which is really the most important thing to me.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:48 AM   #1436
Major LCF Poster!

Say.when you are in ketoeous I think you will feel good.better than good?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #1437
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I guess my question is, what is nutritional ketosis, as opposed to regular ketosis? Can you have too many or too little ketones? Or is it a matter of just staying in ketosis all the time?
Excellent question. It was sort of fuzzy for me too.

Here is an exerpt from Jimmy Moore's blog, google jimmy-moores-n1-experiments-nutritional-ketosis-day-1-30/14409, that explains it really well:

Quote:
First I wanted to address a question that has come up many times since I started blogging about getting into “nutritional ketosis.” It’s goes something along the lines of this: “What’s the difference between ‘nutritional ketosis’ and the ketosis you get on Atkins?” In fact, one lady on Facebook took me to task for basically doing Atkins but trying to re-brand it as something “new” calling it “nutritional ketosis.” Apparently she hasn’t been reading my blog posts about this because I’ve made it perfectly clear that this is something I read in Dr. Jeff Volek and Dr. Stephen Phinney’s 2012 book release called The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. But actually the concept of “nutritional ketosis” even extends back to their 2010 New York Times bestselling book The New Atkins For A New You where they use this phrase very clearly on page 287:
Ketones have gotten a bad name because they can rise to very high levels in individuals with uncontrolled type 1 diabetes, a state known as diabetic ketoacidosis. However, there is more than a tenfold difference between the ketone levels seen in ketoacidosis and those achieved with a carbohydrate-restricted diet, which we call nutritional ketosis. (emphasis mine)
As you can see, this is neither my term nor is it particularly new. But I do see a line of delineation between the state of ketosis you achieve on the Atkins diet and the nutritional ketosis I am actively pursuing now. The most important difference is that Atkins does not explicitly call for moderating protein intake, just carbohydrate.

Last edited by reddarin; 09-12-2012 at 04:56 AM..
Old 09-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #1438
Senior LCF Member

Aha! Reddarrin, thanx for that very clear explanation of nutritional ketosis vs "regular" ketosis.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #1439
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301

portcop- that's great news about the 170s!!!

I drank so much water yesterday to try and combat some water retention(sounds weird, doesn't it?)

I'm back down to 190.4..I don't think I'm gonna see the 180s until TOM comes/goes.

Darnit.

I ordered my meter and stuff on Sunday and selected two day shipping..I was expecting it yesterday..hopefully it comes today.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #1440
Senior LCF Member

Good morning! I'm down 1.6 this morning!! It's just so unvelievable. I have not seen this number on the scale in so long. This is 22.2 down since I started low carb in July.

Heading out for bloodwork this morning. It's time to head in for my thyroid check and she's also wanting to check my feritin (iron) because I am anemic, and my D levels.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!!
Closed Thread