Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #1351
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Flavia
Stats: lose 50lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Christina, do you use raw or roasted mac nuts?
depends what store I go to...if I can get it raw I take those....otherwise the roasted ones....I try to get raw in most of what I buy for health reasons

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #1352
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Wow that sounds great?? I love fresh garlic and ginger on all my meat! Taste great!

I ate one of those fat bombs this morning and went to water aerobic .boy do I feel great lots I mean lots of engery
Old 09-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #1353
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pantograph
Stats: 222/178.8/170
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Feb 2010 (Paleo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
* A journey to carb land carries a high price. One day totally off plan takes me many days (more than 3) to recover. Today I'm finally back "in the zone" (per Phinney/Volek) at .8 (I was 1.7 before my last venture to carb land) and it's been 7 days.
DG had many other great comments in her post, too.

Here's what I consumed yesterday.
Protein: 109.3 g (17%) -- [target range 0.6*144=86 to 1.0*144=144]
Carbs: 48.8 g (7%) (incl 14.1 g fiber) -- [target < 50]
Fat: 223.5 g (75%)
Calories: 2,605 (Est. burn rate 2,734)

This morning:
Weight: 178.8 (no change) (-4.2 since starting NK Aug 30)
BMI: 22.96 -- [target 21.83]
Ketones (blood): 0.4
Blood Glucose (fasting): 98

Back within my eating targets yesterday, but ketones still dropped just below the target range. My weight has been stable for three days now, but still lower than it has been for over 6 months.

I'm heading out to do battle with the rapidly growing shrubs and hedges and burn off a few grams of body fat. (The only bad thing about living near San Diego is that everything grows nonstop!)

Keep clam, Terry
Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #1354
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Buffy--I also make my own and I use the roasted. Raw is probably healthier.
I'll just toss some in my little food processor then
Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #1355
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekaboolie View Post
What has been your experience with egg creams? I just made one using 1 tblsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 tblsp almond butter, 2 oz hwc, 1.5 tbsp erythritol, 2 egg yolks and ice. It tasted like a chocolate peanut butter milkshake and was high in fat and moderate in protein and extremely delish!!
Haven't tried one but it sounds delish! I would have to try to forget it has raw egg in it
Old 09-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #1356
Big Yapper!!!!

Terry, great news that you are losing!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #1357
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quick check in.....lots of posts...people are doing GREAT with the weightloss. Hooray!

I'm really stable with my weight...up and down the same .6# it seems. Maybe my calories are too high.

Did the tests again this morning and went up in glucose which was not the plan!!!!

Yesterday was 94 glucose and today 100

Ketones yesterday were .7 and today .8 so at least I got one right.

I'm thinking I probably need to drop my calories in order to drop some of this weight. The fat bomb in the AM before my 2.5 mile walk with the neighbors really gives me oomph to make it up the hill when everyone else is dragging. Love those fat bombs....I make mine with sunflower seed butter. Yum.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #1358
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

I'm heading out to do battle with the rapidly growing shrubs and hedges and burn off a few grams of body fat. (The only bad thing about living near San Diego is that everything grows nonstop!)

Keep clam, Terry

U got that right.....
Old 09-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #1359
Big Yapper!!!!

Wow, is anyone else really warm??? Our temps have finally cooled down to tolerable and I am hotter than ever. Hopefully it is the fat burning....
Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #1360
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
OMG, Becca, I didn't realize you'd joined LCF forums! I've been here ever since I left the other forum. Can you tell I don't stop in the Challenge forums here too often? LOL A belated welcome to you! And I see you've got a hotly followed discussion going here. And just why am I not surprised? And it looks like your new approach is working for you! Heartfelt CONGRATS on your recent losses!

Like I mentioned on your blog, I'm transitioning to Paleo, but this topic intrigues me and I'll certainly pop in to see how this progresses for everyone. I remember how hard it was to pull my protein down below 70 on the A-forums, so I don't know if I could do 55g or so. That would be very tough.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #1361
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
I see some of you using coconut milk, coconut oil and Heavy whipping cream in coffee to help meet the fat requirements. Can someone explain the benefits/pros/cons of each? Can half and half be used since a serving (2 Tablespoons) is 1 carb similar fat as one Tablespoon of HWC?
Does the coconut milk lighten? I imagine the oil does not.

Any input on this beloved Coffee subject is appreciated
Old 09-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #1362
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Hi Zay! I use hwc because it is lower in carbs and higher infant than half and half. Some people use coconut milk because it's high in fat and dairy free. I frequently add CO tO my coffee to increase fat, get some medium chain fatty acids in, and to relieve constipation. CO also seems to rev me up and since I'm prone to tachycardia I sometimes find this unpleasant. I hope this answers your question!!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #1363
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Julie!

Do you know why CO might rev you up?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #1364
Major LCF Poster!

Idk why but have heard I'm not alone in this. I just try to eat it with caution.... Not too much at one time.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #1365
Blabbermouth!!!

CO gives me the fat I need and the energy. Bodybuilders use MCT oil a lot because it gives them the extra energy they need. Its made from CO. I don't know the chemics behind it either, but I do know it works....lolol
Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #1366
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/22/11
Hi all,

I had my appointment with Dr. Ellis today. She was great and very informative. It is refreshing to have an hour long discussion with a doctor!

Dr. Ellis definitely suspects thyroid problems and has ordered the more detailed work up. She also suspects food allergies so she is ordering that up too. As such I have to wait a few days to get the blood work and won't have results until next week. Ugh!

Dr. Ellis was heavy on the Paleo regimen and suggested I drop the ketogenic HFLC/Atkins in favor of that. She felt strongly it was a much better long term, sustainable solution. She felt the saturated fat of Atkins was a long term problem. Not sure I agree with that given everything I've read of late but I'll have to investigate more.

I haven't read too much on Paleo yet as I seemed to think that it had higher carbs than Atkins. Has anyone had experience with Paleo and how would you compare it to the ketogenic diet?

This AM my keytones were up to 1.3 and waist was down another smidge so I'm sticking with this until something needs to change. But Paleo does strike me as more sustainable over time, particularly if my allergies come back with a dairy issue (and I am fairly confident they will).

Mike
Old 09-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #1367
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Mike,
ur doc sounds just like mine lolol
I got paleo from doc and nutritionist. Its healthy veggies some fruit some seeds/nuts and meat and fat....no grains, legumes, dairy....though some ppl do use some dairy ie Ghee and such.....
After I lose the weight I will slowly work back into paleo again....good books and blogs out there from Mark Sisson, Dane Sanfilippo ( Practical Paleo) If u got fb u can go through my "like" and friends list and look...if u would like
I am also hypothyroid and have a ton of food allergies....and totally depleted adrenals etc.....loads of tests....
Old 09-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #1368
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker295 View Post
Hi all,

I had my appointment with Dr. Ellis today. She was great and very informative. It is refreshing to have an hour long discussion with a doctor!

Dr. Ellis definitely suspects thyroid problems and has ordered the more detailed work up. She also suspects food allergies so she is ordering that up too. As such I have to wait a few days to get the blood work and won't have results until next week. Ugh!

Dr. Ellis was heavy on the Paleo regimen and suggested I drop the ketogenic HFLC/Atkins in favor of that. She felt strongly it was a much better long term, sustainable solution. She felt the saturated fat of Atkins was a long term problem. Not sure I agree with that given everything I've read of late but I'll have to investigate more.

I haven't read too much on Paleo yet as I seemed to think that it had higher carbs than Atkins. Has anyone had experience with Paleo and how would you compare it to the ketogenic diet?

This AM my keytones were up to 1.3 and waist was down another smidge so I'm sticking with this until something needs to change. But Paleo does strike me as more sustainable over time, particularly if my allergies come back with a dairy issue (and I am fairly confident they will).

Mike
I've read a fair amount of the Paleo literature and paleo cookbooks. My sense is that there is a different rationale for paleo than for low carb--i.e., eating foods that humans ate through most of their evolutionary time on earth versus limiting insulin resistence. I don't see a reason why one couldn't do a combination of Paleo and Atkins; I'm doing a combination of Primal (paleo plus milk products) and Atkins.

Things that you might eat on paleo and not on Atkins induction: Honey, root vegetables (e.g., sweet potatoes), fruit
Things you might eat on Atkins and not paleo: Dairy products, artificial sweeteners, processed foods that don't contain grains or regular sweeteners

Atkins per se doesn't specify how much fat versus protein you eat. Achieving nutritional ketosis does require making a very high percentage of your diet be fats, but that doesn't have to be saturated fats (though it is easier). Paleo would encourage eating grassfed rather than grainfed animals, but there's saturated fat in a grainfed beefsteak, for example, too.

I think a fair number of people doing this nutritional ketosis approach are doing it because they could NOT lose additional weight, despite long-term compliance with an Atkins approach, unless they cut back on protein and increased fats (and also wouldn't lose on a paleo diet with a lower proportion of fat and higher amount of protein). My personal view is that my life, meal planning, and cooking would be a lot easier if I could just follow the rules for paleo or primal and forget about trying to make my protein low enough and my fats high enough to be in nutritional ketosis. But I also would lose weight at a glacial rate, or not at all, if I did that, and I have a lot of weight to lose. That may not be true for you, which would give you lots more options.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #1369
Big Yapper!!!!

Are any of you following this WOE having things like the One Minute Muffin? Also, what about Greek yogurt, in small reasonable quantities of course? I read where a lady had thinned the Greek yougurt with HWC, almost cup to cup and used that in this type of diet.

Your thoughts are welcome on this, I am doing so good I don't want to screw up over something that isn't that important to me.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #1370
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
How do you make the egg creams????

Had my thyroid appt, she bumped up some meds and I have a feeling this should be it! But it's all subject to change..levels go up and down alot if you have the autoimmune variety.

But I'm so much more improved than I was this time last year!! I will ask about taking REGULAR cytomel next appt. It can't be that much more.

I stayed on plan today although all my calories mostly came from this evening when I finally got home!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #1371
Major LCF Poster!

Well another successful day!!but i did not get my cal or protein up enough.i ll work hard on that tommorrow . Going on the boat tommorrow for the day..if its not to cold!

My # for the day
Cal-1119
Fat-100.8=78%
Carbs-11.3=4%
Prot.-48.5=18%

I need more protein and cals.....
Old 09-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #1372
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
How do you make the egg creams????
Here is a thread a closet egg creamer made:

I have a confession

There are several different recipes in that thread.

...and here is a post from there for the basic recipe:

Quote:
I have a confession

It can be confusing, especially when you research it and find that an actual egg cream does not contain any eggs. It's just a low carb concoction that has been given the name "egg cream".

Here is a simple recipe:

2 eggs
packet splenda or Da Vinci Syrup
2 oz HWC
handful of ice cubes
unsweeted cocoa (optional)

Put in a blender and blend. They do taste very good!

Last edited by reddarin; 09-10-2012 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: put quotes around the post I quoted
Old 09-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #1373
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Zay--I use coconut cream (thicker coconut milk) in my coffee. It took me a few days to get used to, but now I love it!

Mike--I'm glad things went well with Dr. Ellis. I hate waiting for test results, but hopefully you'll get to the bottom of what's going on with you. I was able to maintain on Paleo (always LC), but using paleo principals with NK has been the only way that I've been able to lose. Like svenskamae I think you can do LC Paleo. I mostly try to do that although I do now eat cheese and some artificial sweeteners. My favorite Paleo author, blogger, and podcaster is Robb Wolf. And great to hear that your waist is shrinking and you're getting ketones!

Buffy-no one minute muffins or greek yogurt here. I've tried these things in the past and they are stallers for me.

Betty--so great to hear that you're much improved from last year. I feel the same way! And definitely try the brand name cytomel. I am so glad I asked for that change.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!

Last edited by mom2zeke; 09-10-2012 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #1374
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Are any of you following this WOE having things like the One Minute Muffin? Also, what about Greek yogurt, in small reasonable quantities of course? I read where a lady had thinned the Greek yougurt with HWC, almost cup to cup and used that in this type of diet.

Your thoughts are welcome on this, I am doing so good I don't want to screw up over something that isn't that important to me.
I've never made One Minute Muffins. I don't see any reason not to use plain Greek yogurt in small quantities, especially thinned with HWC to increase the ratio of fat to protein, so long as you track what you are eating and don't exceed your desired protein and carb allotment.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #1375
Blabbermouth!!!

too much flax i.e. MIM's stall me also....Greek yogurt I can do if I add a ton of whip cream to make a mouse consistancy
Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #1376
Major LCF Poster!

Buffy: OMM's stall me so I haven't wen doing them. I also don't tolerate full-fat plain yogurt but haven't tried Greek or Turkish yogurt. I'm curious about what others say on this.

Today was strange! I started out weak, headaches and some heart palpable only to have those symptoms go away after eating?? What the heck! Here is how my day ended up:

Calories: 1756
Net carbs: 29
Fat : 149
Protein: 68

I stayed pretty close to my goals. I decided to keep my net carb at 30 for now as I have a heart condition and was noticing some racing heart symptoms despite being on a bea blocker. I'm going to try and ease down to 20g and eventually count total rather than net. My protein was at the low end of my goal right where I wanted it fat was good, too. My goal for calories has been to stick as close as I can to 1700 but not to sweat going over right now. I ate spaghetti squash with trader joes basil marinara sauce and grass fed beef but didn't notice until I was getting ready to clean up the kitchen after dinner that the sauce has freaking soybean oil and sugar in it!! Argh!!! So even tho I stayed within my grams on everything I hope this won't throw my weight loss off. Lame. I just need to make my own sauce. Lesson learned. I hope you all had great days! I'm heading to bed early!

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
Old 09-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #1377
Big Yapper!!!!

I had a good day too, 8 down so into week 2. I did try some Greek yogurt and added half as much HWC, kept track of it all and fitted it into my day. Will be careful not to overdo it.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #1378
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/22/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I've read a fair amount of the Paleo literature and paleo cookbooks. My sense is that there is a different rationale for paleo than for low carb--i.e., eating foods that humans ate through most of their evolutionary time on earth versus limiting insulin resistence. I don't see a reason why one couldn't do a combination of Paleo and Atkins; I'm doing a combination of Primal (paleo plus milk products) and Atkins.

Things that you might eat on paleo and not on Atkins induction: Honey, root vegetables (e.g., sweet potatoes), fruit
Things you might eat on Atkins and not paleo: Dairy products, artificial sweeteners, processed foods that don't contain grains or regular sweeteners

Atkins per se doesn't specify how much fat versus protein you eat. Achieving nutritional ketosis does require making a very high percentage of your diet be fats, but that doesn't have to be saturated fats (though it is easier). Paleo would encourage eating grassfed rather than grainfed animals, but there's saturated fat in a grainfed beefsteak, for example, too.

I think a fair number of people doing this nutritional ketosis approach are doing it because they could NOT lose additional weight, despite long-term compliance with an Atkins approach, unless they cut back on protein and increased fats (and also wouldn't lose on a paleo diet with a lower proportion of fat and higher amount of protein). My personal view is that my life, meal planning, and cooking would be a lot easier if I could just follow the rules for paleo or primal and forget about trying to make my protein low enough and my fats high enough to be in nutritional ketosis. But I also would lose weight at a glacial rate, or not at all, if I did that, and I have a lot of weight to lose. That may not be true for you, which would give you lots more options.
Hugely helpful. Many thanks!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:48 AM   #1379
Major LCF Poster!

Had a great day to.down another lb.since I started lower my prot.i have lost 3 lbs in 3 days..yes I love it just being able to put cream in my coffee is a treat for me....I love Rebecca fat bombs, ILove coming here reading all of your post it really helps me a lot.going boating and fishing today maybe I'll catch some fish for supper...bass would be great.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #1380
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Anyone?

What are the differences, if any, between Nutritional Ketosis (LC/HF/MP) and
Atkins Induction?
Closed Thread