Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #1321
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Paula!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #1322
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Julie...you're really getting the hang of it. I can't remember what you "should be" getting in the way of protein and fat, but since you asked for thoughts, I would say the lunch with the cashews and cranberries alone will keep you out of ketosis (in my opinion) and that your protein is a little low.....maybe have some protein with each meal and drop some of those carbs...cashews and cranberries are 2 of the ones I used to have so I am most amused! :-) But they are no longer welcome in this house as I will eat them! Keep on doing what you are doing. That nausea feeling will go away. Are you taking in salt first thing in the AM...before eating? That's how I conquered that feeling. Broth at lunch is "too late" in the day for the sodium....it should be first thing.

And are you counting your 8 oz glasses of water? How many. Goal should be 8-10 at the least.....just trying to give you "ideas" to fine tune this before you start doing the ketone meter testing (we want you to have a good result!)
Thanks, Shelley!!! Consider the trail mix DROPPED! LOL! I'm still not being as careful as I should with water, so I will continue to make that my absolute GOAL to get 8-10c per day!!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #1323
Major LCF Poster!

PAULA!!! I hope you have a wonderful day!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #1324
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAULA!!!

Buffy - congrats on AWESOME week 1 progress!

Huge hello to all on the thread too! I love reading everyone's posts.

DG
Old 09-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #1325
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
With Nutritional Ketosis, the ratios do not matter. You are supposed to eat a static amount of carbs and protein and enough fat to satiate.
I know this wasn't meant for me, Rebecca, but this is a helpful reminder. Thanks. Really simplifies it for me!! Not sure why I keep getting confused on this plan! LOL!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #1326
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Wowza! Congrats to the losers! I saw losses from Betty, Buffy, Porto, Doggy is at a great keto #, g3rm is doing great. I hope I didn't miss anyone!Happy birthday paulabob!

I am down ANOTHER .6 this morning. I felt "fat" last night too, and am positively delighted this morning! And this after a day when I thought I really overdid it on the fat.

Do any of you follow dietdoctor? He is a big advocate of LCHF and has a post today where he is reporting his nutritional ketosis experiment. Should be interesting as he started at a normal weight.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

My plans:
B: coffee w/HWC, bacon and avocado
L: salad with veggies, 2 eggs, lots of caesar dressing
D: carnitas with mashed cauli on the side (lots of butter and cheese)
Sn: 2 fat bombs and another coffee w/HWC this afternoon
totals: 1,578 cal 20 net carb 138 fat 69 protein

I plan to try to get another Tbsp of either MCT oil or Co oil in there too, just not sure where yet.

6/22/13 restart of NK
Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #1327
Major LCF Poster!

I am a daily weigher and today's weight was 196.7 so up .5 from 2 days ago. Maybe I should count total carbs instead of net?? Is this recommended in the book? I can't remember reading anything on it. Also, my protein was under my low end yesterday. My bottom range is 65 and I had 53 g of protein yesterday. Probably too little protein and too many net carbs! I'm so sensitive! LOL! I'm waiting to get paid on Friday to buy my meter. Can't wait to start testing!!

Congratulations to all the losers out there today! WOw! SOOO inspiring to me!!!!

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #1328
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekaboolie View Post
I am a daily weigher and today's weight was 196.7 so up .5 from 2 days ago. Maybe I should count total carbs instead of net?? Is this recommended in the book? I can't remember reading anything on it. Also, my protein was under my low end yesterday. My bottom range is 65 and I had 53 g of protein yesterday. Probably too little protein and too many net carbs! I'm so sensitive! LOL! I'm waiting to get paid on Friday to buy my meter. Can't wait to start testing!!

Congratulations to all the losers out there today! WOw! SOOO inspiring to me!!!!
I wouldn't get caught up in one day's weight fluctuation! There are a multitude of reasons besides actual fat gain that can account for it. If you trend up for over a week or are up over 2 pounds then I would get concerned and start tweaking.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #1329
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3rmanchik View Post
I had the blood tests, but I don't like taking it...at the same time I also got my thyroid pills and I don't like taking them either....still taking my thyroid pills but haven't taken the cream in almost a year. Now I am getting spotting constantly (which doesn't bother me as I see it as a natural process) but I do mind the weight gain that comes with the spotting every time....not sure what to do!!!
I guess I see it all differently. Finally getting my thyroid hormone dosage correct has completely changed my life for the better! I also got all my hormones checked because if something was off I wanted it fixed. I spent some of the prime years of my life fat and miserable. I am no longer fat and I didn't want to continue to be miserable. If my body isn't producing hormones in the correct amounts I am grateful to live in the 21st century where this problem can be fixed!!

As I move into menopause I intend to continue to get my hormones checked regularly and supplement and adjust if necessary.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #1330
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlyjo View Post
I am down ANOTHER .6 this morning. I felt "fat" last night too, and am positively delighted this morning! And this after a day when I thought I really overdid it on the fat.
Congratulations!!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #1331
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flavia
Stats: lose 50lbs
Kristn, do u get ur hormone stuff paid by insurance??? mine is all natural and is made by a pharmacist by hand just for me....its 50bucks a month...my H almost had a heart attack
Old 09-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #1332
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Kristn, do u get ur hormone stuff paid by insurance??? mine is all natural and is made by a pharmacist by hand just for me....its 50bucks a month...my H almost had a heart attack
I am currently only on thyroid hormone and supplements to lower cortisol and estrogen. The thyroid is covered by insurance but still $52/month. Once my deductible resets in January (I have a high deductible plan) I will be paying ~$260/month for the thyroid until I hit my deductible. Insurance doesn't cover the supplements. Luckily we have lots of $$ socked away in my our HSA. We put in the max ever since I had to have surgery and we realized we weren't putting in enough to cover us if something actually went wrong.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #1333
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hear ya....glad ur taking care....my thyroid gets paid because they give me the generic and I swear it doesn't work half the time because it feels like an elephant sitting on my throat...
Old 09-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #1334
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I hear ya....glad ur taking care....my thyroid gets paid because they give me the generic and I swear it doesn't work half the time because it feels like an elephant sitting on my throat...
Maybe you need to get tested again if you don't feel like the thyroid is working?

I take brand name Levoxyl and Cytomel which is why it's so much. I've heard bad things about the generics. I was on generic T3 and when I changed to Cytomel it did make a difference--I won't go back. Unfortunately it's much more expensive.

Have you thought about taking Armour or another dessicated brand? They are actually super cheap and I was hoping that it would work for me, but I ended up on the synthetic T3/T4 combo.

My insurance probably won't cover bio-identical hormones if I'm ever prescribed them. But I can pay with my HSA so technically it's at a discount because the money is pre-tax.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #1335
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry, what's dessicated mean????
Old 09-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #1336
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Natural thyroid hormone like Armour or Naturethroid (there are others). It's made from dessicated pig thyroid and used to be the treatment for hypo before synthetic T4 was available. It contains both T4 and T3 and many people find it works better than just T4--especially if you're body doesn't convert T4 to T3 very well.

It's still available (although it can be difficult to get a Dr. to prescribe) and is not very expensive.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #1337
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Dessicated thyroid hormone is made from pig thyroid. It's more of a natural vs synthetic version of thyroid med, but I know it doesn't work for all people. I don't have insurance and was on Nature-Throid for a while, and now am on Armour since that's what Costco has in stock. I am going to see at my next appt if I can go back to Nature-Throid. I only pay $15/mo for my meds. It's quite cheap. Getting it optimized is the key. An elephant on your throat is not good. Have you poked around here at LCF on the Thyroid support pages? That's actually where I found Kristn and her link to this thread! But there are tons of knowledgeable ladies of there with lots and lots of info.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #1338
Big Yapper!!!!

Have a question about macadamia nut butter. Is it the very lowest in carbs of the nut butters and is roasted ok, or should you get raw? Sounds so good.

Amy, congrats to you on your loss and your plan for today sounds perfect to me.

Julie, don't let one days weight get to you, I seem to recall in the book it said daily weight can easily vary by 2 lbs. My weight was up .4 from yesterday but since this is the day I am going to record it, I went by the higher weight. Remember, we are looking for a downward trend, not day to day flucuations. And, I wouldn't try to tweak on a daily basis either, I am going for a weekly trend to do that as well.

Now, listen to me, an expert at 1 week in, hahahahahaaa!! Don't listen to me, I may have no idea what I am talking about here, just want to encourage you.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #1339
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlyjo View Post
Have you poked around here at LCF on the Thyroid support pages? That's actually where I found Kristn and her link to this thread! But there are tons of knowledgeable ladies of there with lots and lots of info.
The thyroid board here is awesome!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #1340
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TY all for your help.....I thought that is what it meant...just couldn't put "dead" stuff together with thyroid lololol ok, for some reason I am totally grossed out..lolololol I will make apt and talk it over with my natural doc lady!!!! TY again
Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #1341
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have not gone there....thank you for the thread....that is awesome
Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #1342
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Julie, don't let one days weight get to you, I seem to recall in the book it said daily weight can easily vary by 2 lbs. My weight was up .4 from yesterday but since this is the day I am going to record it, I went by the higher weight. Remember, we are looking for a downward trend, not day to day flucuations. And, I wouldn't try to tweak on a daily basis either, I am going for a weekly trend to do that as well.

Now, listen to me, an expert at 1 week in, hahahahahaaa!! Don't listen to me, I may have no idea what I am talking about here, just want to encourage you.
LOL! I hear you and AGREE!!!! Hoping to see a drop again. I think I'm a little excited that I've lost at all because it has been so long since I've seen the scale move in a downward direction!! I feel a little 'hollow' this morning, so maybe that's a good sign.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #1343
Big Yapper!!!!

Love having a flat tummy again, or as flat as it can be at my weight

My totals for today, as I have it planned out now, are:

Calories - 1495
Prot - 77
Fat - 124
Carbs - 11

I usually vary it some as the day progresses but it will be close to this. I wish there were a way we could copy from our logs and print our menu here without having to retype it all. I would love seeing each other's menus.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #1344
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Have a question about macadamia nut butter. Is it the very lowest in carbs of the nut butters and is roasted ok, or should you get raw? Sounds so good.

Amy, congrats to you on your loss and your plan for today sounds perfect to me.

Buffy I make my own macadamia butter. Just throw some nuts into the food processor and voila...done
Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #1345
Big Yapper!!!!

My word, my blood glucose monitor is LOVING this challenge. 2 hours after breakfast and I get a reading of 96!!! Amazing!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #1346
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My word, my blood glucose monitor is LOVING this challenge. 2 hours after breakfast and I get a reading of 96!!! Amazing!
That is AWESOME!!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #1347
Big Yapper!!!!

Christina, do you use raw or roasted mac nuts?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #1348
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Christina, do you use raw or roasted mac nuts?
Buffy--I also make my own and I use the roasted. Raw is probably healthier.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #1349
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Paula.hope it's a great day for you!!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #1350
Major LCF Poster!

What has been your experience with egg creams? I just made one using 1 tblsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 tblsp almond butter, 2 oz hwc, 1.5 tbsp erythritol, 2 egg yolks and ice. It tasted like a chocolate peanut butter milkshake and was high in fat and moderate in protein and extremely delish!!
Closed Thread