Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #1291
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Hey Joe,
10% body fat is pretty low. Are you really young?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #1292
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Julie it might be the coconut oil making your stomach upset. It does that if you're not used to it yet. I've been told you need to build up to higher doses.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #1293
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/22/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
How old is your little one? My before picture was taken at my now 16 y.o.'s 4th or 5th birthday party. I definitely couldn't say no to cake at that time.
I have a 1 year old and an about-to-be 5 year old. Between August and October we have at least 10 birthday parties to go to for the kiddies. In October it can be two a day - crazy!!! Luckily today's was hosted by someone who is low carb friendly so I had plenty of choices including chicken with curried mayo - super yummy! I hid on the playground with my son while the rest of the clan devoured the cake.

I think I'm done for the day and came in at 77g of protein today - right where I want to be. We will see how tomorrow goes!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #1294
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Julie...you're really getting the hang of it. I can't remember what you "should be" getting in the way of protein and fat, but since you asked for thoughts, I would say the lunch with the cashews and cranberries alone will keep you out of ketosis (in my opinion) and that your protein is a little low.....maybe have some protein with each meal and drop some of those carbs...cashews and cranberries are 2 of the ones I used to have so I am most amused! :-) But they are no longer welcome in this house as I will eat them! Keep on doing what you are doing. That nausea feeling will go away. Are you taking in salt first thing in the AM...before eating? That's how I conquered that feeling. Broth at lunch is "too late" in the day for the sodium....it should be first thing.

And are you counting your 8 oz glasses of water? How many. Goal should be 8-10 at the least.....just trying to give you "ideas" to fine tune this before you start doing the ketone meter testing (we want you to have a good result!)
Old 09-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #1295
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
I started a little graph that is hand done (don't have a PC or fancy programs) and across it I have date weight, bodyfat of previous night, calories, fat grams/%, protein grams/%, carb grams/%. Then I have the weekly average of weight, bodyfat and then average LBM and fat for the week as well.

So, today I was (in parenthesis is the "goal" number)

Calories 1636 (1600)
Fat 140.6/79% (150)
Protein 60/15% (60)
Carb 16.5/4% (under 5%)

So...now I am wondering if you are all testing the ketones on a daily basis, every few days, once a week??? I only got 10 with my meter and don't want to use them all up in a week, so is testing maybe 2 times a week, or once a week okay? Or I am guessing that will not help determine the "average" number in order to determine how to tweak the protein/fat/carbs??? This could get pretty expensive!

Mike...you're doing great with your protein grams and resisting all the food out there with all the parties. It will be interesting to see how things work for you on the scales, tape measurer and if you get a ketone meter, where you fall on it. This is all such an incredible journey!

And now I get to go have a fat bomb (it's included in the above numbers)
Old 09-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #1296
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeEO View Post
I apologize for not being exact in my math. The protein specified in PhinneyVolek book is a range of 1. to .6 of LBM. I pretty sure that I am somewhere between 20 and 30 % BF and I know my weight...so I am estimating my protein requirement.
I guess my goal weight to be 196 at 10% body fat. Losing around another 40 lbs of fat.
I guess that's where I'm confused about the lean body mass. Your goal lbm is 176.4 (196 @ 10% BF). Basing your protein on 200 lb lbm may be why you're not getting into and staying in ketosis.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #1297
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker295 View Post
I have a 1 year old and an about-to-be 5 year old. Between August and October we have at least 10 birthday parties to go to for the kiddies. In October it can be two a day - crazy!!! Luckily today's was hosted by someone who is low carb friendly so I had plenty of choices including chicken with curried mayo - super yummy! I hid on the playground with my son while the rest of the clan devoured the cake.
I remember those birthday party days! My two are also ~4 years apart.

Quote:
I think I'm done for the day and came in at 77g of protein today - right where I want to be. We will see how tomorrow goes!
Great job! Hopefully you will see continued success.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #1298
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flavia
Stats: lose 50lbs
Is anybody on here taking progesterone cream??? And how does it affect ur ability to lose weight????
Old 09-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #1299
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3rmanchik View Post
Is anybody on here taking progesterone cream??? And how does it affect ur ability to lose weight????
No but my Dr. just put me on a small dose of estrogen cream and I am worried about the same thing
Old 09-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #1300
Big Yapper!!!!

Just finished day 7 of the challenge. I will post my weight loss in the morning. My goal is to stay on this for another complete week as I feel like it will really be a true test of how it is working and by then, I should have my meter and will make adjustments as needed.

It really hasn't been hard, I have been totally satisfied with what I am eating and not hungry. Amazing how much fat my body tolerates well, seems to love it btw. And funny how quickly your taste adjusts. I have grown to like dark chocolate but picked up a bar of the Green and Black's 85% chocolate and had one teeny little square as a snack, it was divine. I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much a week ago.

Hope the high sodium from my crab legs tonight doesn't mess with my weigh in tomorrow but if it does, then I will just have a better loss next week

Loving this thread and everyone who is joining in.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #1301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantograph View Post
Lots of amazing posts this weekend. Especially nice to see Rebecca's long term results. (As an engineer, I love plots!) Her lean mass is holding very steady, so it's clear you don't have to lose muscle along with fat on NK. Volek & Phinney, in "Performance", on page 27, cite several of their test subjects who gained several pounds of muscle, while losing lots of fat, on NK plus resistance exercise. (I was re-reading their book late last night instead of sleeping!)
It is my intention to start weight lifting again, but I need to get my testosterone implant again. No testosterone = no muscle gain, at least in my case.

In 2009, on low carb, I gained around 5.5 pounds of muscle in just a few months, so I know it can be done.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #1302
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Went to store to get stuff for fat bomb! The almond butter they had was with add sugar.so I come home made my own.not bad but I'll find some without sugar..so I made them there in freezer now.cant wai to have one??

Rebecca,thanks for all your post..my name is rebecca too...I very new to this so I'm learning as I go. Did you eat the fat bombs ever day?
Hi there, Rebecca! I usually have at least one fat bomb per day, but sometimes two. If I am fat fasting, I have several in a day.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #1303
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
I was thinking, do you all think there would be an accelerated benefit of weight loss with calorie cycling, such as JUDDD with this woe? I'd imagine there wouldn't be much to eat on a DD though, lol
Maybe not going that low though? like one day I have 2,000 then next 1500, then 1200, then back up..Sort of like carb cycling, but it's fat cycling, lol. And of course if you eat less fat on those days you are eating less of protein/carbs so the ratios are still the same.
With Nutritional Ketosis, the ratios do not matter. You are supposed to eat a static amount of carbs and protein and enough fat to satiate.

If calorie cycling means that you are eating more protein and carbs than you "should" on some of the days, I would imagine it would keep you out of ketosis. Just a thought.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #1304
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
Rebecca - congrats again on your results! Every time I look at your graphs and measurements I am just astounded how the losses have been so targeted to the "apple" areas.

OK - so you can keep a FEW loose clothes for work. But girl. GO. SHOPPING! (you've earned it!)

DG
Thanks for the congrats! As far as the clothes go, I still have slacks hanging in the closet that I can "grow down" to before I have to go shopping!

The slacks I wear at work are size 10 and are pretty baggy. I went out to dinner tonight and wore my size 8 slacks, which were a little loose. My size 6 slacks fit, but are a little snug for my taste.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #1305
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have been on bio-identical progesterone cream for a few years. It had no impact on my weight, as far as I could tell.

I just stopped taking it a month ago, so we will see if it makes any difference.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #1306
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
I do know that if you use the pro-cream and your body doesn't actually need it, you'll know it!

So I'm down to 190.4..darn, so close!! Still that is 8lbs down in one week That's more than I lost in two weeks on induction.
And I would hope that it's not ALL water. That's a lot of water!!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #1307
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
**WARNING** Sandwich post ahead. Well, let's make that "Fat Bomb post ahead." You might pass out from hunger if you attempt to read the whole thing without a snack. Unless of course you are in NK in which case you will burn belly fat by the end of this post!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
No but my Dr. just put me on a small dose of estrogen cream and I am worried about the same thing
I was first put on prog. and est. creams (bioidentical) based on saliva testing, and thyroid replacement (natural - Armour at that time) based on TSH, Free T3 and Free T4. With everything done by the labs, I lost weight beautifully and consistently. (and of course stayed LC OP beautifully and consistently!) Kristn and I were just *talking* about this issue. We've made adjustments to my doses of est. and prog. over the last 4 years but only based on symptoms. I'm thinking about springing the $$ for another saliva panel for my next doc appt. in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Thanks for the congrats! As far as the clothes go, I still have slacks hanging in the closet that I can "grow down" to before I have to go shopping!

Well, you at least need to treat yourself to a fancy new dress or something for the holiday season this year, right??? Size 8 pants - WOO HOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
I have been on bio-identical progesterone cream for a few years. It had no impact on my weight, as far as I could tell.

I just stopped taking it a month ago, so we will see if it makes any difference.
I will be interested to see what happens. Do you mind sharing why you stopped taking it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
So I'm down to 190.4..darn, so close!! Still that is 8lbs down in one week That's more than I lost in two weeks on induction.
Congrats!!!

I am back up to .8 on the ketone meter. As the "slip slidey" for the last few weeks of this journey, here is what I've learned based on the data - BG readings, ketone readings, scale readings:

* A journey to carb land carries a high price. One day totally off plan takes me many days (more than 3) to recover. Today I'm finally back "in the zone" (per Phinney/Volek) at .8 (I was 1.7 before my last venture to carb land) and it's been 7 days.

* FBG seems to track with that pretty closely. FBG today was 100 - hasn't been that low since before I kicked myself out of NK. (my post prandial numbers later in the day come back down more quickly - takes a couple of days for those to come back down based on "where I am" with BG.)

* My goals right now are to get properly and consistently transitions back to LC from a low fat high carb plan. So the transition to NK has been a little rocky - I've dealt with hunger, cravings, etc. that I think are more problematic than if I had already been consistently LC before taking it up a notch to NK. So....my calories have been very much on the high side. Despite a couple of complete falls back to carb land, I'm still a couple pounds down over the last few weeks which is AMAZING. That many calories a day on high carb would have meant absolute weight gains. Just knowing I can eat this way and not worry about calories, and stay basically weight stable is a huge load off my mind! I'm used to the continual stress of balancing hunger and weight gain - oy what a life! (not)

* I wish I had been taking my BGs before but I sure am glad I came across this NK thread, and got the meter, and tested them now. I had no idea I had such a problem developing - especially with my FBG. So I'm grateful to be eating differently with BG control being my #1 issue. It's clear from the data collected over the last few weeks that keeping fat high, protein truly moderate (68g is the low end of my target range and I try to not go over 75), and carbs low WORKS for this goal.

What I hope to accomplish in the next few weeks:

* More consistency staying on plan every day no matter what, and eating more fat if I feel I *have* to eat more for whatever reason. (which may or may not be actual hunger)

* Paying more attention to actual hunger v. desires to stress eat, etc. and keep focusing on the fat!

BG control and days where I forget about food would be a wonderful thing, and I think NK is what will get me there.

Just wanted to throw my current thoughts down in righting while I'm thinking about it!

DG

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154

Last edited by Doggygirl; 09-10-2012 at 04:43 AM..
Old 09-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #1308
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Sounds like all of you are doing great.

Thanks Rebecca for the answer...your fat bomb were great,my husband like them also,and he not on any diet.

Now I on my second day of true LC,HFCs,mp.i lost another lb.wowo.i had been watching carbs for 2 months now I'm down from 201 to181.4 a true 20 lbs going for ever

Last night I don't no why I felt fat,but this morning I felt that way too,but got on scales and lost.i just think it is in my head cause I'm eating good things,like the cream in coffee ( decafe) yumm...

Going to gym this morning to do water aerobic and little weight lifting?.

Hope all y'all have a great day!!!thank you all for your advice ,,,y'all rock!,!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #1309
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
Congrats on your progress portcop!! Sounds like you are feeling good about yourself this morning and that is one of the most important things, I think. We are all gorgeous men and women working to get healthier, right? (we need a :glamour: smilie!)

DG
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #1310
Big Yapper!!!!

Week 1 Progress report:
Starting weight 1 week ago 208.8
Today's weight 202.4
firmly in ketosis according to the pee sticks and still waiting for my ketone strips to arrive
BG in the mid-70's to mid-80's in the AM, have reduced my diabetes meds a little
Didn't write down body fat last week but I don't think there is much change, it is 49.9 according to my tanita scale this am. So, I am starting out really high on BF like some of you were talking but hey, just gives us more room to track our progress downward, right?

I am waking up earlier and have a little more energy. My stomach has definitely flattened out this week. I like what I am eating and enjoying this, now the hard part comes along for me, STICKING to it. I have always loved starting new diet plans, but have not been good about sticking to them. As I have gotten older though, it is more about health and I have just let the diabetes meds do the work for me, now we will see if I can do part of that work myself to help avoid some of the side effects of the meds.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #1311
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Last night I don't no why I felt fat,but this morning I felt that way too,but got on scales and lost.i just think it is in my head cause I'm eating good things,like the cream in coffee ( decafe) yumm...

Going to gym this morning to do water aerobic and little weight lifting?.

Hope all y'all have a great day!!!thank you all for your advice ,,,y'all rock!,!
Port, where are you at in your monthly cycle? I have times each month when I feel way fatter and it is related to my cycle, perhaps that is why you were feeling this way?
Old 09-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #1312
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
yep, I hear ya doggygirl!
I had a few fun weekends in August and I'm just now getting back to where I started
Old 09-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #1313
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Buffy don't have any had a hystrotomy at 24 now 55. .i think it's in my head cause I ate all so much more cals and fat than I usely do! Cause I did lose 2 lbs.i sure I will get over that...plus I get upset with my self knowing I had done this before and gained all my weight back plus some.but I will never do this again LAST TIME GONE FOR EVER!!!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #1314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Paulabob
Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #1315
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

CONGRATS TO ALL THE LOSERS!!!!!!WOOT WOOT!!! I AM SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #1316
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone! It's back-to-work Monday.

Yesterday my (maintenance) intake was:
Protein: 71.3 (16%)
Carbs: 27.7 (5%)
Fat: 161.7 (80%)
Alcohol: 0 (0%)
Calories: 1818
This morning:
Weight: 150.6 (down .4)
Ketones: 1.3
Blood Glucose: 74

Still in ketosis and the ketones are slightly up from yesterday. I had run out of fat bombs Friday, so yesterday I made a batch and had two after dinner. I love these and still can't totally believe that they're 100% on plan.

TOM arrived yesterday so I should hopefully be feeling my normal self by the end of the week.

How is everyone else doing?
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #1317
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
If you are tested and you need it then it should be helpful. If you don't need it then it can actually be detrimental. I was using it based on symptoms and it turned out to be a disaster for me. YMMV.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #1318
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations on your losses portcop, Betty, and Buffy!!!

I hope I didn't miss anyone. You guys are losing so fast and furiously it's hard to keep track.

And happy birthday Paulabob!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #1319
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Thanks for the birthday wishes! Everyone is doing so well!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #1320
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had the blood tests, but I don't like taking it...at the same time I also got my thyroid pills and I don't like taking them either....still taking my thyroid pills but haven't taken the cream in almost a year. Now I am getting spotting constantly (which doesn't bother me as I see it as a natural process) but I do mind the weight gain that comes with the spotting every time....not sure what to do!!!
Closed Thread