Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #1201
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
[quote=mom2zeke;15930656]This is one of the lowest ketone readings that I've had. I'm not sure what happened. Dinner was a lean meat (flank steak) without much added fat (and a few vodka cocktails). I also guesstimated the amounts. I'm not going to worry unless I go below .5.
Quote:

My guess would be the alcohol. My non-scientific understanding is that the body sees alcohol as a toxin (which it is) and metabolises alcohol first which disrupts the other metabolic processes. Despite "zero carbs" in many forms of alcohol, it really is a different animal than the other macronutrients. That said, with you being at goal weight and not dropping below .5, I wouldn't worry about it. Just throwing it out there as a possible reason since the rest of your menu looks fine to my newbie eyeballs LOL!
[quote=pooticus;15930719]Ha! Kristn,

I plugged all my information into that calculator last night and almost screamed with elation. It said I only had 27.44% BF!!! I was elated! It mean't I was only "overweight" and no obese any longer. LOL!

I'm thinking on me something is wrong. No way am I that %BF. I don't have 159lbs of LBM. No way.[quote]

Mine said 27% on that calculator and I think that's low - I think I am in the low 30's. But each of these calculators measures different things so would depend on where we tend to carry our fat I think. Kristn that was a great idea to plug your numbers into the various calculators to see what was closest to reality right after the dunk test!

Quote:
Just to be clear, what book should I order from Kindle? I know it's the P/V book but which one?

Thanks!
I have both. If I were only going to order one, I think it would be the performance one. For me, that book was much more specific and clear about NK. The other book has a lot more historic information, etc. More pages per dollar I suppose, but not as clear cut IMO.

DG

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #1202
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Flavia
Stats: lose 50lbs
Good Morning

Yay Port for getting read of some fat!!!! woot woot!!! Proud of you, Keep at it
Old 09-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #1203
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Is it 60g of good proteins (i.e. meat, dairy, eggs protein)

Or is it 60g of TOTAL protein from all sources (i.e. meat, dairy, eggs, nuts, veggies, fruits)

That's a big difference! Cuz the veggies and fruits don't have "complete" proteins in them, are they still counted toward the daily protein rec?
I would count all proteins. I believe that the "complete protein" thing is only an issue for vegetarians who may not get all the amino acids in their diets. Any incomplete protein can mix with the other complete proteins that you are eating and become "complete." So meat-eaters don't have to worry about this or need to discount "incomplete protein."

Quote:
And the other question is regarding carbs. Do we calculate the percentage of calories carbs equate to AFTER subtracting for fiber? In other words, if we take it as non-netted carbs, then per ******, the menu above has 10% of cals from carbs.
I have been counting total carbs but not sweating if I go over my limit slightly with fiber. Carbs are very individual so I would do whatever keeps you in ketosis.

Quote:
I could live and do just fine on this type of menu above. It's pretty close to what I mostly do on the alternating UDs now, except I don't have quite as much fat usually. But I'm thinking it is still too much protein?

I'm 5' 4.5" tall and my goal has been 150lbs. I'm 50. Female. Post Meno. (If I really do have 126lbs of LBM per Livestrong and About(website) then that 150lbs is too low.)

Per Livestrong here are my stats:
220 lbs and 64.5" tall female:
42.34% Body Fat (93.15lbs of Body Fat + 126.85lbs of LBM)
BMI = 37.2

So if my goal is to have 25% Body Fat then my goal weight should acually be 170 and not 150 as I've presently set my goal?

And so based on having 126lbs of LBM, per P/V, I should have 126 x .6 = 75.6g -126g protein daily? Or by WHO 126 x .56 = 70.56g protein?

By JKs calculations my due weight would be 170 (goal weight ) - 100 = 70 x 1g = 70g of protein daily?

Am I making these calculations correctly?
You will likely lose LBM when you lose weight, but preserving as much LBM as possible is a good goal. Based on your calculations I think 70 grams is a good protein goal for you. And as I said above, I would count all protein in this equation.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #1204
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl
My guess would be the alcohol. My non-scientific understanding is that the body sees alcohol as a toxin (which it is) and metabolises alcohol first which disrupts the other metabolic processes. Despite "zero carbs" in many forms of alcohol, it really is a different animal than the other macronutrients. That said, with you being at goal weight and not dropping below .5, I wouldn't worry about it. Just throwing it out there as a possible reason since the rest of your menu looks fine to my newbie eyeballs LOL!
I think you're right about the alcohol. That combined with the lean meat and very little fat on my salad. It's so interesting to be able to step back and look at this as an experiment. I am really excited to think that tracking the results will help me get the right balance of macronutrients for maintenance. It all feels very scientific. Even weighing every day has been a change for me. The results used to unnerve me, but now it's just another interesting piece of information in the NK puzzle.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #1205
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
where did the cals 'from goal weight,' come from?
was it in the book and I missed it??
Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #1206
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I would count all proteins. I believe that the "complete protein" thing is only an issue for vegetarians who may not get all the amino acids in their diets. Any incomplete protein can mix with the other complete proteins that you are eating and become "complete." So meat-eaters don't have to worry about this or need to discount "incomplete protein."
Thank you for easing my mind on this point!

DG
Old 09-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #1207
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Wow...everyone has been busy! Kristn, thanks for the link to the "new" bodyfat calculator. It says I'm 26.9% and my Tanita last night before bed said 26.8%. Interesting.

For information....I use ****** and refer to total protein and total carbs...I don't deduct for fiber (net), but, like Kristin, if I am over a bit then I do look at fiber to assure myself I'm not way over.

Today was measuring day and also the first day of using the NovaMax glucose/ketone meter. First test strip was an error. Took a while to figure out the lancet and that you need to sort of 'push' in the strips hard! Then the tests ran right. So, I did my tests. I was so happy!!! (happy dance here!!!) Glucose on last physical was 107 and today it was 94. My first ketone reading was .7!!! Woo hoo!!!! I was so hoping it would be in the NK zone.

Last nights dinner was a NY steak...I weighed it (small one) and then came and did the protein calculations on ****** and was only able to have 1/4 of the thing to stay within my "limits". Boo hoo.

Yesterday:

calories 1639
protein 64.8 (goal 60) 16%
fat 150.1 (goal 150) 81%
carb 14.2 (goal <30) 3%

I do my usual 10,000 steps/day (wear a pedometer) which is about 5 miles. Yesterday was 11,500. For those that exercise, I used to do 2 days a week of a very hard Pilates class and 3 days a week of heavy weight lifting at the gym.....and HIIT cardio. I gained weight and was not happy. Giving up ALL my exercise for the last 2 months with the exception of easy paced (not fast/not slow) walking and trying NK and lowcarb has made my body change. Measurements were all a tiny bit smaller other than bust and abdomen. I'll take the tape measurer being smaller any day over the scale numbers...which were down .4# for the week (but I'll take it!!!) that's my update.

Last edited by shelley; 09-09-2012 at 08:15 AM..
Old 09-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #1208
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
Hey, I found the thing on the american diabetes wholesale site..

Is it the $30.99 that comes with ketone strips PLUS the free meter with all the extra doodads?

sounds like a deal to me!!
Yes, that's the one. There's also a bundle for $39.99 that comes with the ketone strips and 50 glucose strips if you think you'll be using those. I bought this after I sent away for the free meter and decided that I wanted to test glucose also. It doesn't hurt to also send away for the free meter because you can get the free strips along with it. When you register your meter(s) you get 2 more free ketone strips.

Quote:
where did the cals 'from goal weight,' come from?
was it in the book and I missed it??
I don't understand this question.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #1209
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
Thank you for easing my mind on this point!

DG
LOL--I read Diet for a Small Planet too many times when I was in college. Frances Moore Lappé was the queen of protein combining back in the day.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #1210
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Pooticus, using 2.54 cm per inch, I get 163.83cm for 64.5 inches. Per Dr. JK, that would give one a protein amount of 63.83 grams, plus or minus 10%.

Here is a post with Dr. JK's calculation method:

Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet

Last edited by Auntie Em; 09-09-2012 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: corrected typing
Old 09-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #1211
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Day 7 of this challenge for me. It really hasn't been hard and I am enjoying how I feel being back to low carb. Weigh in day tomorrow so will post my loss for the first week. Going out for crab legs tonight, I think and they have a lot of sodium so hope they don't mess with my weight too much.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #1212
Major LCF Poster!

Thoughts on Protein requirements

Just a few thoughts about protein.

Protein requirements are going to be different for everyone based on many factors. The link in my signature has a link to a post about trying to figure out a starting point using several different methods. I know that many people are afraid of going too low on protein, but I am also reading that some people are having trouble getting into NK. Moderating your protein intake (along with carbs) is really the key to making this work. I started with a lower amount of protein and then once I was firmly in NK experimented with going a bit higher.

It may be that once your body is in ketosis for a while you are much less likely to use your protein for gluconeogenesis. But until you get there (especially if you're already LC) your body is primed for gluconeogenesis and will use that pathway preferentially hindering your efforts to get into NK.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #1213
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Just a few thoughts about protein.

Protein requirements are going to be different for everyone based on many factors. The link in my signature has a link to a post about trying to figure out a starting point using several different methods. I know that many people are afraid of going too low on protein, but I am also reading that some people are having trouble getting into NK. Moderating your protein intake (along with carbs) is really the key to making this work. I started with a lower amount of protein and then once I was firmly in NK experimented with going a bit higher.

It may be that once your body is in ketosis for a while you are much less likely to use your protein for gluconeogenesis. But until you get there (especially if you're already LC) your body is primed for gluconeogenesis and will use that pathway preferentially hindering your efforts to get into NK.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #1214
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
MONTH 2 RESULTS

Hi, All!

I have been working insane hours and have not even started my computer in a few days! I'll try to catch up on the posts since I was here last.

Last edited by Dottie; 09-13-2012 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: removed blog link
Old 09-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #1215
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Rebecca,
I made your fat bombs but without the almond butter, they are delish!
I'm glad you liked them!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #1216
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I was away from the computer for the long weekend (which felt great) and just got caught up on reading this thread. It's good to hear how everyone is doing, and the NK FAQ sounds like a great idea!

I finally made myself read through the information about my testing meter, lancets, etc. and tried to test yesterday, but I couldn't get a valid reading. (I used up one test strip on testing the meter--it worked fine, one on getting a message of error in testing [maybe not enough blood on the strip?], and one strip on another blood test where the meter didn't seem to register anything.) I guess I have to try again--maybe next weekend, since it's hard to fit that in before work. I'll try re-reading the "Blood Sugar 101" sections on doing blood testing with a meter, to see if that helps me figure out how to do this right.

Some questions about the blood testing: Did you order a bunch of extra lancets to go with your meter? I have just a few of them, which were sent along with the meter. The directions say to replace your lancet every time you test. Do you do that, or just clean the needle with alcohol? Will the meter work right if you re-use a cleaned lancet (i.e., don't replace it between tests)? Do you need to order lancets that go with that particular meter, or are lancet needle sizes standard and other brands (available from a drugstore, say) a workable alternative to the Nova Max ones?

Also, did you find that you needed quite a lot of blood for the NK testing to work? I might need to do blood glucose testing to learn how to do this better, to avoid wasting those expensive ketosis strips, but I am worried about running out of lancet needles.

Thanks for your advice/help on doing the test right. It was a struggle to make myself go through the directions and screw up my courage to prick myself (not a fan of needles), and it's disappointing to feel like I'm still not doing it right and wasting the strips.
I never change my lancet unless it gets dull, which it rarely does. I also do not clean it in between. A friend of mine is diabetic, and she uses the same one over and over, for months and months.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #1217
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Wow I just checked my body fat..yuk......50.5% not good so that means I need to lose half of body fat...why did I let my self get like this
Old 09-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #1218
Major LCF Poster!

Glad to see you Rebecca! And thanks for updating us on how things are going--you've had amazing success. Congratulations!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #1219
Blabbermouth!!!

Port, no worries....that is past, gone, done.....
Now to look for the future
We got the tools to get better now
Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #1220
Senior LCF Member

I meant how people are recommending figuring protein totals based on GOAL lbm. In the book it says to figure out protein based on your(what I'm assuming) current lbm. I didn't see any specifications about GOAL lbm.

I'm feeling under the weather. All I've had today is some broth. My appetite is blunted as well.

The family went off to a baseball game and I opted to stay home with the dog and get some rest. I have a thyroid apt tomorrow and the drive is almost 2 hours long, blech.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #1221
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
gotcha, makes sense.

I'm not sure what I will do. My thinking is that 1 free meal every couple weeks isn't going to do a lot of damage in the grand scheme of things.

And all the yummy delicious food in Hawaii...mmmmmm
Phinney/Volek say that it can take two weeks or more to get back into ketosis once you are out of it. YIKES! Makes me want to stick to the plan!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #1222
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Wow I just checked my body fat..yuk......50.5% not good so that means I need to lose half of body fat...why did I let my self get like this
Did you base this on one of the calculators? Don't take it as gospel, it may not be totally accurate! The only way to know for sure is DXA, Bod Pod, or hydrostatic testing.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #1223
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlyjo View Post
Okay. I have the Phinney book (not the performance one) coming from the library soon, I hope. I went to the link Rebecca had posted, and you did also above, and figured out that for my goal weight of 171lbs (I'm 5'10") with I guess 25% BF, I would have a goal of no more than 77.8g protein, 38.9 carbs, and 194.5g fat.

Does that mean I should not go LOWER on the carbs or protein? I think I can eat the protein - I have been averaging closer to 60, but it won't take much to up it a little. Both my carbs and protein average lower than those numbers and I am still stalled. Just trying to figure it out.
You should not go lower on the protein, but it is okay to go lower on the carbs. I eat less carbs than Dr. Jan suggests. I just can't take as many as I "should" have on his plan.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #1224
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Phinney/Volek say that it can take two weeks or more to get back into ketosis once you are out of it. YIKES! Makes me want to stick to the plan!
I know..I think I wrote that when I was craving carbs
Old 09-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #1225
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Thanks mom...yes I did one off comp.....
Old 09-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #1226
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Thanks mom...yes I did one off comp.....
awww, don't feel bad
I did mine and it was 43.4% and I already lost almost 15lbs....oh well, what can you do
Old 09-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #1227
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Rebecca, thanks so much for posting your 2 month update, you are really an inspiration to us just starting this challenge!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #1228
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I meant how people are recommending figuring protein totals based on GOAL lbm. In the book it says to figure out protein based on your(what I'm assuming) current lbm. I didn't see any specifications about GOAL lbm.
Is that the performance book? It isn't a weight loss book, so it's directed towards people who are already at their goals. A lot of what we learned and interpreted on this thread is how to use the performance book for weight loss goals. We are hoping that Phinney/Volek release a weight-loss book based on NK that has more specifics.

Quote:
I'm feeling under the weather. All I've had today is some broth. My appetite is blunted as well.

The family went off to a baseball game and I opted to stay home with the dog and get some rest. I have a thyroid apt tomorrow and the drive is almost 2 hours long, blech.
I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. Hopefully you'll feel better soon.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #1229
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekaboolie View Post
For those of you who have been doing this for awhile, how long did it take before ketosis kicked in?
I started NK on July 9, 2012, but I did not get my meter for about ten days after I started, so I have no idea how long it took me to get there. Somewhere in between one and ten days, I'm guessing.

Last edited by RebeccaLatham; 09-09-2012 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #1230
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
This if for Rebecca!!! Thanks for the Fat Bomb recipe!!!! Got it on your blog and just made them. Got some bitty little cupcake liners that are for candies and they only hold a TBSP of the mixture, so I got 38 little "candies". Also, I start "craving" more sweets/foods when I use almond, so I used sunflower seed butter instead of the almond butter (had never tried that before and it's yummy!!!). I just had one and can't believe how decadently delicious they are, and I'm not even a chocolate lover!

Thank you for the recipe! Absolutely wonderful and now I will no doubt finally be able to get in those "required" fat grams I have been lacking! Yum!!!!
You're welcome! Glad you liked them and were able to adapt them to your taste.
Closed Thread