Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #901
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/125/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Hi Kristn, I know you're a fan of macadamia nuts.

Do you find that they satisfy your appetite for decent period of time?

I had 1/4 cup of them at 4pm yesterday and I was very hungry an hour later. I thought they would have more staying power. Just wondering what your experience has been.

That was really my only hungry period yesterday.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #902
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargD View Post
Hi Kristn, I know you're a fan of macadamia nuts.

Do you find that they satisfy your appetite for decent period of time?

I had 1/4 cup of them at 4pm yesterday and I was very hungry an hour later. I thought they would have more staying power. Just wondering what your experience has been.

That was really my only hungry period yesterday.
I actually don't really eat them for snacks, but use mac nut butter in my fat bombs instead of almonds. So I'm not sure about their staying power.

I'm not a huge fan of snacking in general. But I have gotten in the habit of having some coffee with coconut cream in the afternoon around 4. Other than that I try to stick to 3 meals/day.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #903
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone! How are you all doing?

Yesterday my (maintenance) intake was:
Protein: 79.9 (18%)
Carbs: 19.9 (5%)
Fat: 153.1 (78%)
Alcohol: 0 (0%)
Calories: 1758
This morning:
Weight: 150 (up 1.8)
Ketones: 1.1
Blood Glucose: 88

Interestingly I had almost a perfect day for my currently maintenance goals and my weight is up and ketones are down. I am still in ketosis and I know that this is just natural fluctuations (quite possibly related to TOM).

I had a seriously stressful evening yesterday and I'm not sure what today will bring. I will probably be talking to my lawyer this morning regarding my ex and my 16 year old son. My plan is to stay on plan, whatever it takes!

Have a great day everyone!!!
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #904
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Kids4me View Post
Okay, here are today's numbers. Though I forgot to test BG 2 hours after dinner. I assume it was just fine. I'll test tomorrow evening.

Calories: 1,495
Carbs: 10
Fat: 118
Protein: 89

Edit: Went ahead and did my BG, 76

Also did a bodyweight circuit workout and a fast 20 minute walk after that for a 45 minute workout. Still holding water for some reason and feeling a little frustrated about it. I feel like I should be sub 190 lbs by now, there must be a whoosh coming. I did just start up intense exercise again and I always hold water around ovulation, but still! I've been so stinkin' on plan I want to see those numbers drop!

Oh and I had a little trouble with ketosis-induced insomnia last night. Any recommendations for dealing with that? I'm going to take my magnesium before bed, hopefully that will help chill my body out a bit so I can sleep better tonight than last night.
Great job sticking to plan!! Here's hoping the whoosh fairy visits you very soon!

I take magnesium, melatonin, and Seriphos in the evening. This was recommended to me when I was diagnosed with high cortisol and it seems to do the trick. YMMV.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #905
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flavia
Stats: lose 50lbs
Kristn, if u don't mind me asking what exactly did u eat yesterday????
Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #906
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Kids4me View Post
Oh and I had a little trouble with ketosis-induced insomnia last night. Any recommendations for dealing with that? I'm going to take my magnesium before bed, hopefully that will help chill my body out a bit so I can sleep better tonight than last night.
Great blood sugar!

Also, you might need to avoid coconut oil products after 3 pm...they can jazz your thyroid up and make sleeping more difficult, if you are sensitive to that sort of thing.

Also agree on the melatonin rec too...that really helps me out when I need it.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #907
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Paula, Just wanted to say ur pic looks great.....U look excatly like me in the before pic so that gave me hope to look like u in the after .....(does that even make sense?)

Did u exercise at all???? Did your skin "shrink" with you while u lost?????
Old 09-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #908
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3rmanchik View Post
Kristn, if u don't mind me asking what exactly did u eat yesterday????
No problem!

B: Coffee w/ 2 ounces of coconut cream, 3 eggs, 1 ounce cheddar cheese, 1 ounce salsa, 1 ounce sour cream.
L: 3 ounces of cream cheese, 1 fat bomb (made with mac nut butter & splenda)
4PM: Coffee w/2 ounces of coconut cream
D: Large salad with lots of veggies, 2 TBS Olive oil & vinegar, 1 whole chicken leg (drumstick & thigh), 1 chicken wing. Chicken was roasted with only added salt.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #909
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

sounds great and ty Kristn....
ehhhhmmmm, what is coconut cream????? the stuff out of the can ?????
Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #910
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Hi Paula, Just wanted to say ur pic looks great.....U look excatly like me in the before pic so that gave me hope to look like u in the after .....(does that even make sense?)

Did u exercise at all???? Did your skin "shrink" with you while u lost?????
Most of my weight loss was with hcg, low carb style in 2010 (though it didn't take me to goal, still working on that). I'd say shrinking has been slow, but definite improvements along the way. Skin only has so much snap to it. I could definitely use some surgery but it's not like it interferes with me...so...no, I won't. I did some exercise but not really for weight loss, more for the health benefits (swimming, trampoline, some resistance and isometric type routines). I have to say, it's better to look cute in clothes than have tight fat skin that looks good but not good in clothes. Got to choose your vanity.
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #911
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
sounds great and ty Kristn....
ehhhhmmmm, what is coconut cream????? the stuff out of the can ?????
We get the Aroy-D Coconut cream that comes in a box at our local Asian market. It's more concentrated than coconut milk, but the ingredients are just coconut and water.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #912
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I had a seriously stressful evening yesterday and I'm not sure what today will bring. I will probably be talking to my lawyer this morning regarding my ex and my 16 year old son. My plan is to stay on plan, whatever it takes!
I wonder if stress affects weight/ketones? I hope all goes well with your ex & son issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
Also, you might need to avoid coconut oil products after 3 pm...they can jazz your thyroid up and make sleeping more difficult, if you are sensitive to that sort of thing.

That is a good point I hadn't thought of! I've been battling sleep issues for a long time off and on, and I'm sure fat bombs with dinner don't help. I'll stop that!

Melatonin doesn't agree with me. (gives me bad dreams) Valerian Root is an alternative for the poster who isn't sleeping, if Melatonin doesn't agree.

OP day for me yesterday (and the day before) and again today.

DG
Old 09-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #913
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
Skin only has so much snap to it. I could definitely use some surgery but it's not like it interferes with me...so...no, I won't. I did some exercise but not really for weight loss, more for the health benefits (swimming, trampoline, some resistance and isometric type routines). I have to say, it's better to look cute in clothes than have tight fat skin that looks good but not good in clothes. Got to choose your vanity.
This is true for me, although I'm thinking about cosmetic surgery. I'm going to give it some time, but after this last loss it's way more noticeable. Possibly as a gift to myself for my 50th birthday. I am happy with how I look in clothes though.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #914
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
OP day for me yesterday (and the day before) and again today.

DG
Great job staying on plan!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #915
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
I wonder if stress affects weight/ketones? I hope all goes well with your ex & son issues.
Thanks Doggygirl. I'm thinking that it might. Since I'm tracking I should have an answer.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #916
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
OK...here goes...I'll start posting my previous days food and, until I get my ketone meter, my ketostix readings.

Yesterday, Sept. 4th

1710 calories
155 fat (80%)
13.6 carb (3%) this is total and not subtracting fiber
70.3 protein (17%).
Ketostix: small (ranges from trace to moderate)

Usually I'm closer to 1200 calories. I gained 1# on this eating. And I wanted to say that I'm strange (I guess since I consume lots of magnesium), but I do not crave or even like chocolate, so my "fat bombs" are in a little pyrex bowl made like this.

Microwave 1 TBPS coconut oil..add a splash of DaVinci SF cookie dough syrup, and 3 TBSP of unsweetened organic coconut oil. Mix and eat by the spoonfuls. I have been doing this after 1/2 tsp of salt followed by water, and then my "coconut balls" before walking 3 miles with the neighbor women and their dogs. Works great.

I return home to have breakfast of coffee with HWC, 2 scrambled eggs in more coconut oil and 2 strips of bacon. I'm set until about 2 pm!

Kristn...sure hope things go well with your ex and son issues. I'll keep good thought for you/them!

Last edited by shelley; 09-05-2012 at 08:19 AM..
Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #917
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ty for your answers.... I will keep peeping in
Old 09-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #918
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

There are a lot of pages to read. Are there any vegetarians in here doing this?????? ty
Old 09-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #919
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pantograph
Stats: 222/178.8/170
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Feb 2010 (Paleo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Some questions about the blood testing: Did you order a bunch of extra lancets to go with your meter? I have just a few of them, which were sent along with the meter. The directions say to replace your lancet every time you test. Do you do that, or just clean the needle with alcohol? Will the meter work right if you re-use a cleaned lancet (i.e., don't replace it between tests)? Do you need to order lancets that go with that particular meter, or are lancet needle sizes standard and other brands (available from a drugstore, say) a workable alternative to the Nova Max ones?
In Dr. Richard K. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, he has a section on techniques for measuring blood sugar. He says to re-use the same lancet for up to a month (or until it becomes dull). He doesn't mention a need to sterilize them with alcohol after use (but does warn not to share between people). He shows the preferred sites to prick on page 79 as along the sides of the first joint including the tip of the fingers, not in the center of the pads. He also suggests pricking the backs of the fingers, between the nail and first joint or between the first and second joints. These sites cause less pain and less development of calluses that make getting enough blood more difficult.

I usually use the sides of the first joint for pricking. I have been re-using the same lancet repeatedly with no infections or other issues.

I've tried both the One-Touch Delica Lancing Device with Ultra-Soft Lancets (J&J) and the Accu-Chek Multiclix (Roche). The One-Touch uses a single lancet, which is OK (and I get them really cheap through my HMO). I really prefer the Multiclix, which has a small cylinder holding 6 lancets that are hidden from sight and touch when loading or unloading. There's a knob on the end of the lancing device that allows you to change lancet points when one becomes dull. It seems to me that the Accu-Chek lancets are less painful, but YMMV.

Keep clam,
Terry
Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #920
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
There are a lot of pages to read. Are there any vegetarians in here doing this?????? ty
I agree--the thread has grown quite a bit!! MargD is doing this as a vegetarian, try searching for her posts.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #921
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Thanks Doggygirl. I'm thinking that it might. Since I'm tracking I should have an answer.
Stress normally increases cortisol, which increases hunger, encourages fat storage, and can increase insulin release/resistence. So, yes, stress does affect weight loss, though maybe the effect is blunted if one is in nutritional ketosis. If you can do other calming things to offset it, such as progressive relaxation or meditation or yoga-style breathing, that would be a good thing from a number of perspectives. Good luck, Kristn.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #922
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantograph View Post
In Dr. Richard K. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, he has a section on techniques for measuring blood sugar. He says to re-use the same lancet for up to a month (or until it becomes dull). He doesn't mention a need to sterilize them with alcohol after use (but does warn not to share between people). He shows the preferred sites to prick on page 79 as along the sides of the first joint including the tip of the fingers, not in the center of the pads. He also suggests pricking the backs of the fingers, between the nail and first joint or between the first and second joints. These sites cause less pain and less development of calluses that make getting enough blood more difficult.

I usually use the sides of the first joint for pricking. I have been re-using the same lancet repeatedly with no infections or other issues.

I've tried both the One-Touch Delica Lancing Device with Ultra-Soft Lancets (J&J) and the Accu-Chek Multiclix (Roche). The One-Touch uses a single lancet, which is OK (and I get them really cheap through my HMO). I really prefer the Multiclix, which has a small cylinder holding 6 lancets that are hidden from sight and touch when loading or unloading. There's a knob on the end of the lancing device that allows you to change lancet points when one becomes dull. It seems to me that the Accu-Chek lancets are less painful, but YMMV.

Keep clam,
Terry
Thanks very much, Terry. I appreciate your good advice, and I have the Bernstein book, so I'll check that, too. I'll try another round of testing this weekend and see if I can get it right.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #923
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I agree--the thread has grown quite a bit!! MargD is doing this as a vegetarian, try searching for her posts.
Thank you I sure will
Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #924
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pantograph
Stats: 222/178.8/170
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Feb 2010 (Paleo)
Yesterday my food consumption was:
Protein: 107.1 (24%)
Carbs: 29.5 (6%) (7.3 g of this was fiber)
Fat: 151.9 (71%)
Calories: 1,893 (Est. burn rate 2,885)

This morning:
Weight: 179.4 (down 0.4) (down 3.6 since starting NK Aug 30)
Ketones (urine): 15 mg/dl (40 at 4:30 pm yesterday)
Blood Glucose (fasting): 92

I'm liking this!

The only problem is that ****** says I took in 1,569 mg of potassium from food vs. an RDA of 4,700 mg. I also took six of the standard 99 mg potassium gluconate tablets, but that only gets me to about 2,163 mg, still less than half of the RDA. It would take another 26 tablets to get there! Does anyone has a suggestion on how to get more potassium?

Keep clam,
Terry
Old 09-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #925
Major LCF Poster!

Isn't salt substitute like Morton's Light Salt basically potassium? Can you use that to season your meat and veggies?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #926
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/125/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:
Hi Christina. See post #934 to see what I ate yesterday.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #927
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

oh thank you
Old 09-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #928
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
OK...here goes...I'll start posting my previous days food and, until I get my ketone meter, my ketostix readings.

Yesterday, Sept. 4th

1710 calories
155 fat (80%)
13.6 carb (3%) this is total and not subtracting fiber
70.3 protein (17%).
Ketostix: small (ranges from trace to moderate)

Usually I'm closer to 1200 calories. I gained 1# on this eating. And I wanted to say that I'm strange (I guess since I consume lots of magnesium), but I do not crave or even like chocolate, so my "fat bombs" are in a little pyrex bowl made like this.

Microwave 1 TBPS coconut oil..add a splash of DaVinci SF cookie dough syrup, and 3 TBSP of unsweetened organic coconut oil. Mix and eat by the spoonfuls. I have been doing this after 1/2 tsp of salt followed by water, and then my "coconut balls" before walking 3 miles with the neighbor women and their dogs. Works great.

I return home to have breakfast of coffee with HWC, 2 scrambled eggs in more coconut oil and 2 strips of bacon. I'm set until about 2 pm!
Looks good Shelley! I almost forgot about that SF cookie dough syrup. I used to be hooked on it in my coffee. Once you are strongly in ketosis you can experiment with the right amount of fat to start losing.

Quote:
Kristn...sure hope things go well with your ex and son issues. I'll keep good thought for you/them!
Thank you for your kind words. I have a call in to my lawyer but may not hear back today. I did talk to my mom and (as always) she gave me a practical solution to solve the problem short-term.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #929
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
What do you all think of these no..

Fat=112.7==72%
Protein =81.2==25%
Carbs=11.1==3%
My fasting BG was117 this morning I fasted 15 hours.

I sure want to do this right..thanks for any advice.im new at this but not new to LC .
Old 09-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #930
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
What do you all think of these no..

Fat=112.7==72%
Protein =81.2==25%
Carbs=11.1==3%
My fasting BG was117 this morning I fasted 15 hours.

I sure want to do this right..thanks for any advice.im new at this but not new to LC .
Remind me what your protein goal is based on your goal weight and LBM?
Closed Thread