Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Oh my just read Jimmy's blog and Rebecca's as well. Their protein is way low!!!
I just read Jimmy's update and this thread was linked!

Who is Rebecca?

I don't know about Rebecca, but Jimmy's % if protein may be low because his calories are higher. It would be great to know how many grams of protein he is eating rather than just percentages.

Hi 3kids!--It sounds like you're doing a great job at the conference!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #62
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
Rebecca is a success story in the NANY book. I wonder why they are not posting what they eat. I can't seem to find anything?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Carli
Start Date: March 7 2011
Quote:
Rebecca is a success story in the NANY book. I wonder why they are not posting what they eat. I can't seem to find anything?
Jimmy said he was holding off on his menus until his experiment was finished. I don't know why...Id love to see some ideas. Its hard to find high fat menu's!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Is her blog "My Low Carb Road to Better Health"? She did link to her menus in the blog post. She also eats something called a "fat bomb." I wonder what that is?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
You can find some ideas about ways to eat fats in the online Carb Smart magazine; search for an article by Di Bauer called "Atkins Fat Fast - Breaking a Low Carb Weight Loss Stall."

I think that Fatbombs are frozen sweets made with butter or other fats and artificial sweeteners. Maybe Clackley has referred to them in her posts and can tell us more?

I am trying to avoid all sweeteners, and that just complicates the task of finding ways to up the fat. Here are some non-sweet suggestions from the article I referred to:
1) Two egg yolks mashed up with lots of mayonnaise, salt, and pepper, and eaten with cucumber slices or a stalk of celery
2) Tuna or chicken salad with triple the regular amount of mayonnaise. I suppose one could use salmon or ground ham or eggs, the same way.
3) Sugar free nut butter on a stalk of celery
4) Sliced cucumbers and dill in sour cream
5) Cream cheese--maybe flavored with salsa--in a celery stalk. Ditto for sour cream.
6) Pork rinds in a dip of 1/4 cup sour cream and 1 T. grated cheese
7) Bacon strips
8) Nut butter mixed with cream cheese
9) 1/4 cup cream in a large mug of coffee
10) 1/4 cup macademia nuts

I just made liver pate with chicken livers pureed with butter and olive oil, which incorporates a lot of fat along with the protein.

Most of these ideas come from Di Bauer and not me. I hope they are helpful.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #66
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
Thanks svenskamae!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I really think this is the path that we ∞ Stalled But Determined Challenge! ∞ need to do.

We have been struggling for more than a year, doing everything right. This all makes sense.

Last edited by drjlocarb; 07-17-2012 at 07:27 PM..
Old 07-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Hi there - I'm watching this thread because there is already a group of high fat, low protein, low carb on this board -EFGT Barry Groves. I was hoping to see what you all came up with! We have determined calories definitely still count, but the fat keeps the hunger and cravings away.

I read Jimmy's blog, too, and was glad he figured out he was eating too much protein and too many carbs.

Somebody up there asked about Fat Bombs. I copied these awhile ago on this site and I'm sorry I did not keep the attribution. But here are a couple of recipes.
- - -
Abi Fae's Fat Bombs
• 8 oz unsweetened almond butter (or natural sugar-free peanut butter or other nut butter)

• 8 oz raw coconut butter (Artisana brand is excellent) OR virgin coconut oil
• 1 stick butter
• 2 Tbsp butter
• 1 bar of 85% cocoa chocolate (Black and Greens, Dagoba, Lindt, etc...) or high cocoa chocolate chips
• Sweetener of choice to taste (I use a small amount of eryritol, but you can also use Splenda or raw, local honey if you are not super carb sensitive. Abi does not use any sweetener in hers.)

Optional add-ins
Roasted nuts
Dried unsweetened fruit like cherries or cranberries
Cocoa nibs
Unsweetened coconut flakes

In a microwave-safe bowl, soften the stick of butter, the coconut butter and the almond butter for 1-3 minutes until they are easy to stir together. Once the butters are blended, add in any extras making sure there is still enough butter blend to coat all the goodies. Taste and add sweetener if desired make sure to stir well.

The butter mix then needs to be put in some kind of form to cool. Silicone muffin cups, baking pan, chocolate molds, etc... just make sure it is flexible so you can get the fat bombs OUT of the molds. Melt the chocolate bar in the microwave in a glass dish and add the 2 tablespoons of butter to make it smooth and creamy. Dip your chilled fat bombs in to the chocolate and allow to cool on a piece of wax paper or a silicone sheet. You can also drizzle the melted chocolate over each fat bomb. Store in the refrigerator.

Because of the low melt point of the butter and coconut butter, these need to be kept cold once finished. If you plan on sticking these in a lunch box to eat later, simply put your fat bombs in small jelly canning jars and add a few low-sugar, high-cocoa chocolate chips instead of using chocolate molds and coating with melted chocolate. The thing I like about using the chocolate chips is the label shows how many carbs per chip so you can easily decide how carby or carb-free you want to make each jar full.
- - -

I followed the main recipe, using low carb PB from Target (with flax seeds), coconut oil, and butter. I added 2 TBS of cocoa, 4 TBS of chia seeds, and 1/4 cup + 2 TBS of coconut flakes (whirred in Magic Bullet to make smaller). I poured the fat bombs into 1 ounce portion cups (with lids, for transporting them in lunch boxes). The whole recipe was 26 nC, I got 31 1-ounce portions. The taste reminds me of "boiled cookies"--the ones with cocoa powder, PB, and raw oats. (I used truvia, which is 100% erytherol...counts as a sweetener on Atkins, but 0 carbs.)
- - -
1. 1 stick butter
2. 8 oz cocoa butter
3. 8 oz of a mixture of almond butter and dark chocolate almond butter. I had an opened jar of almond butter in the fridge and an unopened jar of dark chocolate almond butter and thought "what a fabulous addition"!!
4. walnuts (no measure--just what I had leftover in the bag in the fridge)
5. a handful of Craisins
6. 6 semi-sweet chocolate chips on each muffin

Waiting now for them to firm up, but they taste yummy melted. Thank you for posting about these!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks a lot for posting the fat bombs recipes, Judy. I particularly appreciate the fact that the recipes look like they would still be delicious if one didn't add any sweetener!

We should check out the EFGT group for other recipes and suggestions, too.

I hope you keep posting here.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

svenskamae, thank you. I am pretty new here so I am learning like the rest.

Kristn I agree with you. I searched these message boards for months looking for recipes to be able to eat this way (mostly with low carb in mind) for life and found the Eat Fat Get Thin and read as much as I could about that.

At the same time my sister read a book by a cardiologist with the last name of Gundry (sorry - I did not read that book) but when we compared notes, they were essentially the same. Gundry had my sister eating a little more fruit than I would allow myself, but also had a 2-week induction like nearly every other low carb plan. At any rate, it was the higher fat, low carb, low to moderate proteins that were the same.

Too much protein will be stored as fat. Eating fat makes you ABLE to eat fewer carbs/calories/protein.

On the EFGT boards, I think there is a belief that too many calories and too much protein will not allow us to lose. Particularly if you are over 50. Particularly if you are close to your goal.

I am so grateful for all the people here, and the docs on other blogs, who are so willing to take their time and give us concrete examples and concrete studies.

Edited to add: If you are using a calculator you will be able to see instantly how your ratios are stacking up. I use ****** (free). There are calorie counts with ratios on the EFGT boards but they are Barry Groves' estimations. He's an interesting guy, not an MD, a PHD, so looks at it more scientifically. It's pretty easy to add fat into your diet. It was more difficult for me to reduce my protein. But I have found it completely satisfying and do-able.

Last edited by JMCM1; 07-18-2012 at 07:17 AM..
Old 07-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am going to try some cheesecake and maybe look into a savory cheesecake?..taco flavor, chives, or maybe bacon??

Cream cheese + sour cream + eggs and flavorings, baked....high fat with little protein??

What do you all think?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hippyatheart
Stats: 187/176/137
WOE: Induction
Start Date: June 8, 2012
Wahooooooooo! I hit my first goal, I am now in the 170's! Yeah! Now to work on being firmly planted in the 170's and not juuuuuust barely there!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, I am reading more about this Nutritional Ketosis.
Seems a little more generous with the protein than Barry Groves.
And more generous with calories....

Tempting.......

Glad I can "listen" to all of you and see how you are doing.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #74
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I am going to try some cheesecake and maybe look into a savory cheesecake?..taco flavor, chives, or maybe bacon??

Cream cheese + sour cream + eggs and flavorings, baked....high fat with little protein??

What do you all think?
Great idea and am going to look for savory ideas. Let us know how it turns out!!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hippyatheart
Stats: 187/176/137
WOE: Induction
Start Date: June 8, 2012
Does anyone know whether you count the calories of Coconut Oil? I read that somewhere but forgot to bookmark it.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #76
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post

What do you all think?
Dr J, go over to Taste of Home website and search "taco cheesecake" to get some ideas. There are several. Also try "salsa cheesecake" and "santa fe cheesecake" and "Mexican cheesecake" and "salsa cheesecake". These are all variations on a theme. Then try searching "bacon cheesecake" for a few more ideas. There's one called "BLT Cheesecake" and one called "herb & Roasted Pepper Cheesecake" that look tempting. Then just search "savory cheesecake" and "herb cheesecake", too. Dear lord, I'm getting inspired to do this. The "ham cheesecake" looks like a winner, and easily make a "bacon cheesecake". I think I will buy some creamcheese in bulk next time I go to Costco.

Last edited by Speck333; 07-18-2012 at 11:49 AM..
Old 07-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Dr J, go over to Taste of Home website and search "taco cheesecake" to get some ideas. There are several. Also try "salsa cheesecake" and "santa fe cheesecake" and "Mexican cheesecake" and "salsa cheesecake". These are all variations on a theme. Then try searching "bacon cheesecake" for a few more ideas. There's one called "BLT Cheesecake" and one called "herb & Roasted Pepper Cheesecake" that look tempting. Then just search "savory cheesecake" and "herb cheesecake", too. Dear lord, I'm getting inspired to do this. The "ham cheesecake" looks like a winner, and easily make a "bacon cheesecake". I think I will buy some creamcheese in bulk next time I go to Costco.
I guess I wasn't out of line.

I made jalapeno and bacon. Popper cheesecake!

I didn't add shredded cheese and am going to eat it hot as a side dish for my beef roast.

Taco cheesecake is next.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

I love fat bombs. I use the natural PB at Trader Joes that has the flax seed added in. It gives them an interesting texture. I also skip the chocolate, just equal parts coconut butter, peanut butter, and salted butter. I chill them in silicone ice cube trays, they are like a sweet/salty peanut butter fudge. VERY good
Old 07-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyatheart
Wahooooooooo! I hit my first goal, I am now in the 170's! Yeah! Now to work on being firmly planted in the 170's and not juuuuuust barely there!
Congratulations!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyatheart
Does anyone know whether you count the calories of Coconut Oil? I read that somewhere but forgot to bookmark it.
I think you should count the calories.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, those savory cheesecakes sound great! I have been mostly off of dairy for several years but occasionally eat cheese.

I got my 10 new blood keto strips in the mail today. I am considering starting to test fasting every morning. There was a thread on this subject on the diabetes forum (I found the link on a reply to Jimmy's blog) where some people were posting their previous days macro breakdown and their morning fasting blood ketones. I may try doing this for a while to see what the effect of different daily intake has on blood ketones. I also read that anything over 5 was a problem, although the people on the board are diabetic and concerned about ketoacidosis. I am now not so worried about the 4 I got with my second test.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Wow..these sticks are awesome. If you remember, yesterday I scored a 2.1 Today I was making a protein/grain salad for my boss (she's vegetarian so its all grains and beans) and I ate 3-4 bites. Today I didn't feel as great...not as crisp and clear, thinking about food a little more than I had been. I decided to sacrifice another strip for the sake of science, and I was down to 0.3!

Tomorrow I am having a scheduled off-plan lunch. Right after lunch I'll be back to LC/HF/MP. I don't want to waste too many strips..but I do want to see how long it takes me to get back into a good range. I was thinking two days? Maybe 3? What do you think?
Old 07-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

drjlocarb, please keep us informed about your savory cheesecakes and what kinds turned out best. I'm going to make one when I put some work deadlines behind me in about a month.

Congratulations on entering the 170s, hippyatheart!

Thanks for posting your recipe for fat bombs, Carli. I want to try it out soon.

I found a recipe in Fran McCullough's Low Carb cookbook for 2 lb. of spinach cooked in one pound of butter. Fran says, "This famous old recipe is so politically incorrect that we're probably the only people in America who'd even consider eating it. But it is amazing." It serves 4 and has 0 grams of protein, 88 grams of fat, and 4 grams of carbs per serving. I think I'll start with something more modest, like creamed spinach, but I'd be happy to post the recipe for "Spinach with a Ton of Butter" if anyone wants it.

As I read the posts about people's nutritional ketosis strips and food experiences, I feel rather like I'm one of the lab rats (and I mean that in the best possible sense) who is taking over the lab and boldly going into a new experiment that actually benefits the rats! Maybe a sequel to "The Mice of NiHM"--"The Zucker Rats of LCF!" As my own small Zucker rat contribution, I'm going to start reading "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" as soon as it arrives (sometime this week).

Last edited by svenskamae; 07-18-2012 at 06:18 PM..
Old 07-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The popper cheesecake was HOT. Those canned jalapenos were a little too spicy for me. Or maybe I used too many. It had a better texture as it cooled and I may put it in my omelet for lunch tomorrow.

I think the next cheesecake will be pizza, some pizza sauce, mushrooms, onions, and pepperoni.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #84
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I did a bacon, onion cheesecake and while it tasted good, it refused to firm up to the degree I wanted so I will tweak it next time with more eggs. But the ratios were great at 13g fat, 4g protein and 4g carbs. That is over 16 servings which are too small for a meal so I had 3 which means 12g carbs which is pretty high but can`t really lower them while using cream cheese.....Total cals for that amount is 450.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

I may buy some cream cheese during this weekend's shopping trip. I have binged on it in the past, so I'm a bit concerned about having it in the house. But it does seem like a great way to get fat without too much protein and carbs. I am really enjoying the My Low Carb Road to Better Health Blog. She has a recipe for something called EGGS AND FAT AND MORE FAT. I think I might try it for Sunday brunch this weekend!

I am going to test my blood ketones for the next 7 days and post along with my weight and previous days calories and %s. Trying to see if there's a pattern or anything I need to be tweaking.

7/18/12
Carbs: 5%
Protein: 23%
Fat: 73%
Calories: 1262

7/19/12
AM fasting blood ketones: 3
Weight: 160
Old 07-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Today for lunch I had skin from a rotisserie chicken (40 grams--I weighed it--has 16 grams fat plus 8 grams protein and 182 calories), and a ripe tomato chopped up and tossed with 2 T. sour cream and 1 T. gourmet olive oil. It was pretty tasty, though it seemed a bit odd to not be eating more protein. I ended up with 36 grams fat, 6 grams carbs, and 10 grams protein (and about 400 calories) for the whole thing. I'm kind of hungry, though, so I'm not finding a high fat meal as satisfying as one with more protein, too. I'd recommend the tomato--or cucumber--tossed with sour cream and olive oil and herbs as an easy high fat side dish.

If I enter everything that I plan to eat today, I get 7 percent carbs (19 grams), 69 percent fat, and 24 percent protein, 1395 calories, and STILL more protein that I want (84 grams). Limiting protein is WAY harder than not eating grains, sweeteners, starchy veg, cutting calories, etc. for me.

BTW, thanks very much for posting info about your food intake and testing results, Kristen and others!

Last edited by svenskamae; 07-19-2012 at 02:52 PM..
Old 07-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #87
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
When I was really trying a few weeks ago, it took a few days before the high fat satisfaction kicked in.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the reassurance about that, Speck. I'll hope that the satisfaction kicks in for me in a few days, and I'll keep trying this approach.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #89
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BajaBreeze
Stats: 315/246/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 2012
I'm not really sure on how to figure out the percentages. Are they based off of the calories or in proportion to each other?

I found some Jimmy Dean pre-cooked sausage patties. 2 patties per serving for 260 cal, 26 g fat, 9 g protein, and 1 carb. I don't have a device to measure my ketone levels so at this point I am just trying to focus on eating more fat, less protein, and low carb.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #90
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BajaBreeze
Stats: 315/246/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I am really enjoying the My Low Carb Road to Better Health Blog. She has a recipe for something called EGGS AND FAT AND MORE FAT. I think I might try it for Sunday brunch this weekend!
Thanks for the blog recommendation. I just printed off the eggs/fat recipe and hope to try it for breakfast tomorrow!
Closed Thread