Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #841
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pantograph
Stats: 222/178.8/170
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Feb 2010 (Paleo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Well, I wrote a reply to you, Terry, but I just looked and it's not there. Hmmm.. What I said was...

Also, I asked if your name pantograph shows that you are a quilter.
Rebecca,

Thanks to you (and Kristn) for the welcome to the group.

No, I've never quilted. A pantograph is also used on electric rail systems to contact the overhead wire for high voltage traction power. After I retired from engineering cellular systems, I worked for a while as a train operator for the San Diego Trolley and am a fan of 40+ ton, 600 volt DC electric trains! http://www.sdmts.com/Trolley/documents/SDTLRV.pdf

Keep clam,
Terry

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #842
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Ok, I have been lurking here for a while now. I think I've read the whole thread at some point. I ordered my meter a couple of weeks ago, and I'm starting to think it's never going to come!
I have went back and re-read the Voleck/Phinney book. I have been trying to tweak things here and there in my meal plans. I am trying, but I am SO confused right now. I was never a math whiz, and I can't figure all of this out. I just want to know how much protein I need to be eating?
I am 5'4, 41 years old, 231 pounds, medium build(I think!) PLEASE somebody rescue me!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #843
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Ok, I have been lurking here for a while now. I think I've read the whole thread at some point. I ordered my meter a couple of weeks ago, and I'm starting to think it's never going to come!
I have went back and re-read the Voleck/Phinney book. I have been trying to tweak things here and there in my meal plans. I am trying, but I am SO confused right now. I was never a math whiz, and I can't figure all of this out. I just want to know how much protein I need to be eating?
I am 5'4, 41 years old, 231 pounds, medium build(I think!) PLEASE somebody rescue me!
Hi cfine! Do you know your goal weight and goal body fat%? I'm going to go through a few calculations based on your height. Please don't take these as gospel--but just a place to start.

Rebecca had a great post about figuring out your ideal body weight and how much protein to eat here.

She uses Dr. Kwasniewski's method to figure out ideal weight. You are 5'4" tall, which is the same as 163 cm. To arrive at your "due body weight", you subtract 100 cm from your 163 cm, and you get 63 cm. The number 63 is now the amount of kilograms you should weigh. 63 kilograms is 139 pounds.

He says that you should eat that same number of grams of protein each day, give or take 10%. So 57-69 grams of protein would be your range. On this thread we usually err on the lower end of these ranges--at least when we're starting out.

IF 139 at 25%BF is your goal then to figure out the Phinney/Volek protein requirements:

139*.75=104.25 (Goal LBM)
104.25*.6=62.55 (low end of range for protein)
104.25*1=(high end of the range for protein)

So your Phinney/Volek range would be 63-104.

As you can see, they're not so far off of each other. Of course these numbers will change if your goal weight and body fat % are different than my assumptions.

Dr. Kwasniewski's method puts me at 145 ideal which is a bit lower than I chose for my goal weight. You should find a number that you're comfortable with as a goal. You can always change it later.

As far as body fat%--JMCM1 just posted a link to a chart. Have you ever had your BF tested? I think BF% is so individual it's impossible to figure out for someone else. What do you think is a good BF% for you?
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #844
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantograph View Post
Rebecca,

Thanks to you (and Kristn) for the welcome to the group.

No, I've never quilted. A pantograph is also used on electric rail systems to contact the overhead wire for high voltage traction power. After I retired from engineering cellular systems, I worked for a while as a train operator for the San Diego Trolley and am a fan of 40+ ton, 600 volt DC electric trains! http://www.sdmts.com/Trolley/documents/SDTLRV.pdf

Keep clam,
Terry
Well, that is interesting! Does "keeping clam" have something to do with trains, too?

Old 09-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #845
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
Thanks for this link! I find it interesting that the "healthy ranges of BF%" for a middle aged oops I mean prime time woman such as myself are higher than I thought. (but in most ways my own BF% is a mystery to me as I have never really had it accurately measured!!
Yes, thanks JMCM1 for the link!

I know these ranges are probably accurate, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around the lower % (20%) that I always worked towards as being "underfat" for my age. I did change my goal to 25% based on this chart when Rebecca first posted it.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #846
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the update Rebecca! I love how you track things so closely. I am trying to measure every Sunday, but my record keeping pales in comparison to yours. I have lots of notes scribbled on post-its and old notebooks. I started a new spreadsheet last week and I hope to keep it up at least for my first 30 days of maintenance.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #847
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
Yes - echoing Kristn's thanks for making all this awesome detail available to us. Reading about your experiences and seeing your specific progress is really helpful and motivating. I am HOPING to reach that zone of no hunger! (although I can fully appreciate that you have concerns about under nourishment!) Your measurement progress is so awesome. NK appears to really attack the "apple" in us, eh? (at least for me, the "apple" part is the problem! I'm a beachball on sticks!)

DG

Last edited by Doggygirl; 09-02-2012 at 06:16 PM..
Old 09-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #848
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Wow...that was very interesting! (Kristn/Rebecca) I did the conversions per Dr. K's calculations and did the conversions for centimeters and kilograms and it seems that the "high end" of what I should weigh is 6# more than I am right now...so I'm "in range" so to speak. But I'm with Rebecca on wanting to be at the low end or at least the middle of the scale, so I guess I need to "up" my desired weight by a whopping 2# up. Pretty darned close to where I want to be. This is really amazing! Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #849
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
Here are my food numbers for today, I still need to go check my post-dinner blood glucose. Waiting till 8:15 or so, that should be about 2 hours post-prandial. I'm too low on a few things, I worry about protein going to low while in a caloric deficit. Losing LBM is something I've consistently tried to avoid while dieting.

Calories: 1,235
Carbs:10
Fat: 102
Protein: 71

My LBM is probably around 120, my goal weight is 150-160. So protein can be between 84-120 g, I'm trying to stay under 100 g. Which is higher than some of you, but I am working out 5-6 days a week, three of those are resistance workouts.

There just wasn't much I felt like eating today.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #850
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
I saw this nutritional ketosis thread when it started, and I had also been following Rebecca's blog. I was thrilled when she started posting here too. The questions people ask and the answers given are really helpful.

From Rebecca's blog: "I am experiencing NO HUNGER when I am at work, and I spend a lot of time there speed walking. If I have a meal break there, I just eat my tiny meal and I am set for the rest of the day. Sometimes when I get home, I look at my numbers for the day, see that I have not eaten enough, but do not want to eat any more. I'm just not hungry."

That has been my experience, too. and I don't think I'm in DEEP ketosis. I have taken my ketones (is that how we say it?) or ketone readings with my meter 3 times this past week. I take it in the morning right after I weigh and I've been .8 each of 3 times. I guess that's good enough. But adding food at the end of the day has never in my life been a problem for me -- until now.
This is an interesting experiment!

Last edited by JMCM1; 09-02-2012 at 08:11 PM..
Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #851
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Thanks for the update Rebecca! I love how you track things so closely. I am trying to measure every Sunday, but my record keeping pales in comparison to yours. I have lots of notes scribbled on post-its and old notebooks. I started a new spreadsheet last week and I hope to keep it up at least for my first 30 days of maintenance.
I'm just a geek. What can I say? I loves me some charts and graphs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
Yes - echoing Kristn's thanks for making all this awesome detail available to us. Reading about your experiences and seeing your specific progress is really helpful and motivating. I am HOPING to reach that zone of no hunger! (although I can fully appreciate that you have concerns about under nourishment!) Your measurement progress is so awesome. NK appears to really attack the "apple" in us, eh? (at least for me, the "apple" part is the problem! I'm a beachball on sticks!)

DG
I love seeing the lines go down. I am now only a couple of pounds above the lowest I have been since going low carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I saw this nutritional ketosis thread when it started, and I had also been following Rebecca's blog. I was thrilled when she started posting here too. The questions people ask and the answers given are really helpful.

From Rebecca's blog: "I am experiencing NO HUNGER when I am at work, and I spend a lot of time there speed walking. If I have a meal break there, I just eat my tiny meal and I am set for the rest of the day. Sometimes when I get home, I look at my numbers for the day, see that I have not eaten enough, but do not want to eat any more. I'm just not hungry."

That has been my experience, too. and I don't think I'm in DEEP ketosis. I have taken my ketones (is that how we say it?) or ketone readings with my meter 3 times this past week. I take it in the morning right after I weigh and I've been .8 each of 3 times. I guess that's good enough. But adding food at the end of the day has never in my life been a problem for me -- until now.
This is an interesting experiment!
Very interesting, indeed! Although I wonder what I will do with all my chart keeping when I hit goal. Such a big hole in my life - not tracking!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #852
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Very interesting, indeed! Although I wonder what I will do with all my chart keeping when I hit goal. Such a big hole in my life - not tracking!
LOL--I am tracking more now that I am at goal. I think that once I got in the NK groove I was eating roughly the same every day, my ketones were good, and I was losing. With all of that I didn't feel I needed to be so strict about tracking. Maintenance is a whole other ball game.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #853
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Kids4me View Post
There just wasn't much I felt like eating today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1

That has been my experience, too. and I don't think I'm in DEEP ketosis.
I'm so glad that you all are experiencing this diminishing hunger! Even though it may seem a chore to get sufficient nutrition, it is so much better than constant hunger.

I wish this was me. While I don't experience the gnawing hunger I used to feel before LC, even in ketosis I still get hungry. I feel satisfied with my meals, but not always 100% full (if that makes any sense). And I don't think I could ever miss a meal without consequences. I have tried in the past and it was not a good thing for me.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #854
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning Everyone! How are you all doing?

I am one week into maintenance with NK and struggling a bit. It may be because I love routine and I am trying to create a new one.

Yesterday my (maintenance) intake was:
Protein: 129.9 (20%)
Carbs: 19.4 (5%)
Fat: 216.8 (77%)
Alcohol: 9.3 (0%)
Calories: 2601
This morning:
Weight: 149.4 (up .2)
Ketones: 1.5
Blood Glucose: 93

As you can see, I went to town on those ribs last night! I used Terry's method for measuring the meat vs. bone. Even though I knew I was eating too much protein for my plan I just kept on going. I haven't had ribs in a few years and I really love them. And while I take complete responsibility for my actions, TOM is due mid-week and my past experience is that it really ramps up my appetite. It was 90 grams of protein in one sitting. I am not beating myself up, just learning from this and moving on.

But, like others on this thread, I am committed to be truthful to myself and accurately reporting my intake and how it effects my numbers.

I actually measured ketones and BG 2 hours after my feast. Ketones were 2.1 and BG was 78. Perhaps I should have tested hourly after that to see the effect of gluconeogenesis on these numbers.

I was surprised to get 1.5 ketones this am (I tested twice with different meters to confirm the numbers). I also had the highest am BG reading I've ever had at 93. I suspect that the protein turned into glucose overnight, but maybe not enough to totally kick me out of ketosis? Perhaps I was only out of ketosis transiently? Yesterday DH and I did a kettlebell routine in the morning and yard work in the afternoon. The exercise component may be part of the answer also.

Anyway, back to my normal plan today.

I'm so happy to have an extra day off! How is everyone else doing??
Old 09-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #855
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
I can also see you who are losing on this method are exercising and I have not been exercising. So my reduced hunger and reduced calories are probably fine with where I am physically right now.

My excuse for not exercising is over, though, so back to the pool I shall go and see how that affects things.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #856
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you ladies, for the help!! I am now going to try and sort it all out I will be back!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #857
Major LCF Poster!

I have been searching for this very succinct outline by svenskamae of the factors affecting NK. It was on another thread.

If you're having trouble getting into NK, check this list to see what you can tweak:

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
The factors that Phinney and Volek specify as affecting one's showing up as being in ketosis (via the blood meter) are:
1) limiting carbs
2) limiting protein
3) time of day of testing (lowest results are early in the morning)
4) exercise
5) Type of fat eaten--with ketosis encouraged by fats that the body doesn't store, such as coconut oil
Thanks svenskamae!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #858
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you ladies, for the help!! I am now going to try and sort it all out I will be back!
I'm glad it was useful. Can't wait to hear about your discoveries and progress!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #859
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/22/11
Kristen those ribs sound delish! 2600 calories and only .2 on the scale - that is a pretty good result if you ask me!

I was 0.6 this AM after another dinner out last night. I went to an Indian restaurant and avoided the Nan while watching the rest of my family fight each other for it. I thought I was doing great by ordering the Coconut Chicken but when I looked online later it seems like it was much higher in carbs than I expected. Are there carbs in coconut milk? I didn't see any ingredients that I thought would trigger that high of carbs.

Below is the first version of the FAQ! Sorry for the length, but I thought we could do one round of edits here and clean it up a bit before I start another thread specifically on that topic. There are a few spots where I need help filling things in, so look out for those!

Introduction to Nutritional Ketosis
What is Nutritional Ketosis?

Nutritional Ketosis (NK) is the process of using food choices to train your body to burn fat as a primary energy source. For people trying to lose weight, this can allow for a reduction in body fat without the starvation symptoms of most modern diets.

How is NK different from other low carb programs?
Most low carb diets attempt to put people into a state of NK. Over time, many of these diets encourage adding more carbs slowly back into the program. This can cause stalls or setbacks in individuals who are very sensitive to carbs. In addition, many of these diets focus on protein as a favored food source rather than dietary fat. Some individuals have found that too much protein will cause one to fall out of NK and begin storing fat again. On this board, we generally consider a NK diet one that is high fat, medium protein and low in carbs. In a NK diet, fat comes first.

Isn’t a diet high in fat supposed to be bad for us?
Low carb programs have demonstrated for years that a high fat diet can be very beneficial when carbs are limited. It can be very difficult for people to take the leap of faith and start eating high amounts of fat when they have been told their entire life it is bad for them. However recent studies suggest and countless evidence on this board indicates that higher fat diets reduce body weight and improve overall health. Most importantly, fat triggers a feeling of fullness in the brain, which reduces the likelihood of overeating and makes the diet easier to maintain than more common "willpower" diets which often restrict calories and fat.

Do doctors ever prescribe NK diets?
For years, doctors have prescribed NK diets to treat epileptic seizures. It is not known why a high fat diet reduces seizures in these patients, however these patients are able to live happy, health productive lives while eating a diet that is almost exclusively fat. Additionally, many in sports medicine prescribe high fat diets to athletes, and many doctors treating diabetes prescribe low carb diets (which often begin with a NK phase) to treat that disease.

What is the difference between ketosis and ketoacidocis?
Ketoacidocis is complication of diabetes which is caused when the body does not have enough insulin to counteract the sugar being ingested into the body. This creates a toxic combination where sugar is being consumed but cannot be converted to energy or stored as fat. For diabetics, this can be life threatening and requires immediate medical attention. Ketosis is the same process of burning fat for fuel but without the complications resulting from too little insulin.

Should I go on a NK diet if I’m diabetic or pre-diabetic?
Always talk to your doctor, preferably one who understands the substantial health benefits of low carb diets to diabetics. A NK diet will produce readings in diabetic testing tools which are similar to those of ketoacidocis. Therefore it is very important to someone with diabetes to know if the readings they are seeing indicative of NK or are a sign of much more serious ketoacidocis.

Eating for NK

What are common food types on NK?
Foods that are high in fat and low in carbohydrates are good foods for achieving a state of NK. Generally speaking, nearly any food in the low carb pyramid (which you can search for online) is a good place to start. In particular, high fat foods with a low to moderate amount of protein are good choices. This includes oils such as coconut oil and palm oil as well as dairy products like heavy cream, butter and sour cream. Higher fat cuts of meat are better choices for NK than lean meats. Fishes high in Omega3 fatty acids are also good choices.

How much protein/fat/carbs/calories should I eat on a NK diet?
[need links to calculators and other tools already posted]

What do typical meal plans look like?
[need some sample meal plans]

Why is*Coconut Oil*so often recommended for NK?
Coconut oil is almost entirely saturated fat. It contains Medium Chain Triglicerides (MCTs) which are thought to jump start metabolism and help someone achieve NK. Many people who have plateaued on a low carb diet have been able to break the plateau by adding CO and similar fats into the diet.

Where do I find CO in my grocery store?
CO can be found where other oils are found in the store. It often comes in a jar form and has a solid white appearance as it is a tropical oil that has a melting point of around 80 degrees. In organic grocery stores, you will often find "virgin" CO as well as "refined" CO. Virgin CO is the purest form available and also has the strongest coconut taste. Refined CO has been more heavily processed by machines and has a more neutral taste.

What are the best ways to consume CO?
The most common is to use it as a source of oil in cooking, as a substitute for olive oil or other oils. It can be mixed in with a cup of coffee or hot tea as well. A few people eat the CO straight from the jar. Finally, there are recipes for "fat bombs" which are designed to provide high amounts of CO.

What are “fat bombs” and how do I make them?
[need links to recipes]

Do supplements help?
As with many low carb diets, people find that sodium and magnesium are good supplements to consider, especially while the body is adapting to a state of NK. These supplements can fight the symptoms of what is commonly referred to as the "Atkins flu" which is a brief period during which the body is learning to burn fat as a primary fuel source. In addition, fish oil or cod liver oil supplements are often recommended, particularly if you are not eating much fish in the diet.

Methods for measuring NK

[I'll work more on this section later]

Good – understanding symptoms of NK

Better – ketosticks

Best – keytone testing

What if I’m struggling to get into NK?

Learning more about NK

What brand name diets are essentially NK diets?
[I assume this is Atkins Induction, JUDDD - right?]

What books focus on NK?

[need a summary of the books most often cited]

What bloggers are on NK?
[Rebecca and Jimmy - what about others?]
Old 09-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #860
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/119/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Hi Marge! I'm not Rebecca--I'm sure she'll point you to the thread. I had that same error once when I didn't quite have enough blood. The blood went into the strip and didn't quite make it all the way, I tried to add more with another prick and got the error.

Did yours just work normally and then give you the error? Have you tried the glucose strips--do they work? Can you call the manufacturer and ask for a replacement (meter and strips) if it doesn't work correctly.

I wonder how long the meter/strips were on the shelf at Walgreens? You might even be able to return it to them if it isn't working.

I've actually got two of the Nova meters and they both seem to work fine. They do have a warranty and I'm sure they'd be happy to replace the meter if it isn't working.

Here's hoping you get this resolved soon!
Thanks for weighing in, Kristn. I thought I read that the unit doesn't start counting down until there is enough blood on the strip? The unit did count down from 10 for me. After it got down to one, is when then E-4 error occurred.

It actually took three sticks before I felt like I had enough blood for the test. I washed my hands in between each stick and didn't try to put any on the strip until the third time. I don't feel like my skin is thick, but by the third attempt, I adjusted the lancet to the setting with the most force.

I don't have any glucose strips to try. I went to Walgreens yesterday to buy some. I don't mind paying a little bit extra for instant gratification, but $19 at American Diabetes Wholesale and $52 at Walgreens is just too much of a difference. I will impatiently await my shipment.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #861
Senior LCF Member

Just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I've read the entire thread and have spent the long weekend putting together some menus that I think will work for me.

I'm planning to start tomorrow.

In 2011, I quickly went from 133 to 122. For the last few months, I've been hovering around 125. I would love to get down to 115. Right now, I'm satisfied with the way I look in clothes, but I see a lot of room for improvement when I'm naked.

I'm looking forward to this experiment.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #862
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargD View Post
Thanks for weighing in, Kristn. I thought I read that the unit doesn't start counting down until there is enough blood on the strip? The unit did count down from 10 for me. After it got down to one, is when then E-4 error occurred.

It actually took three sticks before I felt like I had enough blood for the test. I washed my hands in between each stick and didn't try to put any on the strip until the third time. I don't feel like my skin is thick, but by the third attempt, I adjusted the lancet to the setting with the most force.

I don't have any glucose strips to try. I went to Walgreens yesterday to buy some. I don't mind paying a little bit extra for instant gratification, but $19 at American Diabetes Wholesale and $52 at Walgreens is just too much of a difference. I will impatiently await my shipment.
It looks like you had a different problem than I did. Mine started counting down after I added the second bit of blood. But apparently the meter didn't like that.

That's an amazing difference in cost. Hopefully your strips will arrive soon!

Quote:
I'm planning to start tomorrow.

In 2011, I quickly went from 133 to 122. For the last few months, I've been hovering around 125. I would love to get down to 115. Right now, I'm satisfied with the way I look in clothes, but I see a lot of room for improvement when I'm naked.

I'm looking forward to this experiment.
Glad to have you on board MargD!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #863
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargD View Post
I have quite a bit of trouble getting enough blood (and I mean for my blood sugar meter as I have never gotten the ketone one). I've noticed it's super easy during TOM, but difficult otherwise. I wash my fingers, warm the tips up for 20 seconds or so, keep my fingers low, and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze afterwards. My lancet only has one setting though. Guess I need the thick fingertip sort. I have found like you it's better to take several pokes rather than waste a strip on too little blood. It certainly hurts enough that I think I should be bleeding really well.

My DH, whose fingertips really are thick, has zero issues and doesn't even have to squeeze.
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
Old 09-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #864
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker295 View Post
Kristen those ribs sound delish! 2600 calories and only .2 on the scale - that is a pretty good result if you ask me!
I'm okay with it and happy that I'm still in NK. Not the kind of thing to make a habit of. And ribs were amazing!

Quote:
I was 0.6 this AM after another dinner out last night. I went to an Indian restaurant and avoided the Nan while watching the rest of my family fight each other for it. I thought I was doing great by ordering the Coconut Chicken but when I looked online later it seems like it was much higher in carbs than I expected. Are there carbs in coconut milk? I didn't see any ingredients that I thought would trigger that high of carbs.
It's really hard to tell in certain foods how many added ingredients add carbs. I love Indian food, but the combo of coconut milk, vegetables, onions, and (sometimes) nuts can add quite a few carbs. If I'm really low carbing it I just stick to tandoori meats. Not as much fun, but safer.

Quote:
Below is the first version of the FAQ! Sorry for the length, but I thought we could do one round of edits here and clean it up a bit before I start another thread specifically on that topic. There are a few spots where I need help filling things in, so look out for those!
Thanks for doing this! When I get a block of time I'll take a look.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #865
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Can someone look at my menu to see if it's look right? I'm trying to stay at around 55-60 grams of protein per day.

B-coffee w/5tbsp.HWC and 2tbsp. CO
L-4oz.roast beef(28grams) and 1/2large avocado and 1tbsp. butter
D-5oz.salmon(30grams) cooked in CO and 1tbsp. butter
S-hot cocoa-made w/coconut/almond milk, packet of diet swiss miss cocoa and 1tbsp. CO
S-2 mini SF hershey bars

I got 850 calories from fat, not including the avocado.
1850 calories for the day total
15 net carbs total

Does this look like a good plan? Tweaks needed?
Old 09-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #866
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
I have quite a bit of trouble getting enough blood (and I mean for my blood sugar meter as I have never gotten the ketone one). I've noticed it's super easy during TOM, but difficult otherwise. I wash my fingers, warm the tips up for 20 seconds or so, keep my fingers low, and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze afterwards. My lancet only has one setting though. Guess I need the thick fingertip sort. I have found like you it's better to take several pokes rather than waste a strip on too little blood. It certainly hurts enough that I think I should be bleeding really well.

My DH, whose fingertips really are thick, has zero issues and doesn't even have to squeeze.
I'm sorry to hear that you have the same problem. I'm debating whether to try again tomorrow morning, even though I'll have the stress of trying to get out the door to go to work.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #867
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pantograph
Stats: 222/178.8/170
Start Date: Feb 2010 (Paleo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker295 View Post
What books focus on NK?

[need a summary of the books most often cited]

What bloggers are on NK?
[Rebecca and Jimmy - what about others?]
Mike - Excellent work!

Of course, the two books by Drs. Volek & Phinney, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living and The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, are by far the best references for this way of eating.

Not only does Rebecca have a wonderful blog (which I discovered through this group), but she also has a very nice list of low carb bloggers. I especially enjoy the excellent blog from Dr. Peter Attia, who is a San Diego physician & endurance athlete that performs quite well on NK.

BTW, I could be wrong, but I don't think the JUDDD diet is really a low carb or ketogenic diet. From what I've read, it just alternates low and high calorie days, without any nominal carbohydrate targets. However, I think the EFGT diet is basically a ketogenic approach.

Keep clam,
Terry

PS - Mike and Kristn are from Seattle, so they may recognize "Keep Clam" as the motto of restauranteur Ivar Haglund. It works nicely whether taken literally, or in a dyslexic permutation!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #868
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Can someone look at my menu to see if it's look right? I'm trying to stay at around 55-60 grams of protein per day.

B-coffee w/5tbsp.HWC and 2tbsp. CO
L-4oz.roast beef(28grams) and 1/2large avocado and 1tbsp. butter
D-5oz.salmon(30grams) cooked in CO and 1tbsp. butter
S-hot cocoa-made w/coconut/almond milk, packet of diet swiss miss cocoa and 1tbsp. CO
S-2 mini SF hershey bars

I got 850 calories from fat, not including the avocado.
1850 calories for the day total
15 net carbs total

Does this look like a good plan? Tweaks needed?
Hi cfine,
Remember to count all the protein, even small amounts in non-protein foods (cream, coconut milk, almond milk, diet swiss miss, avocado). This could easily add another 10+ grams of protein to your menu depending on the amounts.

Personally I would avoid SF foods made with maltitol (SF Hershey bars). If you do choose to use them test carefully--not everyone can discount those carbs and they will push you way up over your carb limit. You could sub some fat bombs for the SF chocolates.

Other than those two things it looks like a good plan to me.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #869
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks mom2zeke. I didn't even think about protein in cream and things like that! This is going to be harder than I thought
Old 09-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #870
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantograph View Post
I especially enjoy the excellent blog from Dr. Peter Attia , who is a San Diego physician & endurance athlete that performs quite well on NK.
I am really enjoying Peter Attia's blog. I found it interesting that he limits protein to 125g/day (although his calories are in the 4000+ range). It really made me think about how much protein is necessary.

Quote:
BTW, I could be wrong, but I don't think the JUDDD diet is really a low carb or ketogenic diet. From what I've read, it just alternates low and high calorie days, without any nominal carbohydrate targets. However, I think the EFGT diet is basically a ketogenic approach.
You are right, JUDD isn't ketogenic.
Closed Thread