Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #811
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
Wow what a busy thread today!!!! Hello fellow NKers. Well, I use the term "fellow" loosely as I made some very poor food choices yesterday. I am back in the saddle today but did not waste a strip this morning and probably won't for a few more days. I know what I have to do.

My temptation is to beat myself up and/or disappear but that won't help me get back on track. I hope you don't mind that I am making myself post here with you despite my slip. I know NK just won't happen if I slip slide around. I hope I'm not the only one who struggles a bit to get the train firmly on the tracks.

I am so inspired by you guys that have been so successful with this transforming your bodies. I have to just believe that I can do it too and keep trying!

Thanks for listening.

DG

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184 10/31/14
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #812
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
I've done Atkins induction for what seems like years, but no weightloss. But I feel healthy, and FAT! How do you determine the calories for your body? I was told 1600 for me at my height/age, but I think that is why I just never lost anything. I have dropped down to 1200 and am finally seeing minute losses....2# in a few weeks which is fine....but 1# of that was 4 days on the Fat Fast (which was fun for me).
I would say to forget about the calories thing. It's not how many calories you eat, it's what your personal body does with them, and that is different for everyone.

Figure out how many grams of protein you need for your lean body mass goal, then add as many carbs as you can (keep it really low at first), and then add enough fat so that you are between 70% and 85% of your total calories, based on your level of activity.

Do you want us to help you figure out your goal lean body mass?
Old 09-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #813
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
Wow what a busy thread today!!!! Hello fellow NKers. Well, I use the term "fellow" loosely as I made some very poor food choices yesterday. I am back in the saddle today but did not waste a strip this morning and probably won't for a few more days. I know what I have to do.

My temptation is to beat myself up and/or disappear but that won't help me get back on track. I hope you don't mind that I am making myself post here with you despite my slip. I know NK just won't happen if I slip slide around. I hope I'm not the only one who struggles a bit to get the train firmly on the tracks.
Being accountable and posting your successes and failures is part of why we're here. No one is perfect, but it's how we respond to our failures and what we learn so that we don't repeat them that leads to success.

What do you think is leading to poor food choices?

Quote:
I am so inspired by you guys that have been so successful with this transforming your bodies. I have to just believe that I can do it too and keep trying!
You can do it DoggyGirl!! You need to get a week or two of on-plan eating under your belt and it will be so much easier. Going in and out of ketosis is working against you staying on plan. Even though it's hard, I know that you can do it. Nothing worth achieving is ever easy.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #814
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
I would say to forget about the calories thing. It's not how many calories you eat, it's what your personal body does with them, and that is different for everyone.

Figure out how many grams of protein you need for your lean body mass goal, then add as many carbs as you can (keep it really low at first), and then add enough fat so that you are between 70% and 85% of your total calories, based on your level of activity.

If there's one thing to learn from this thread it is that each individual needs to find the correct number of grams of protein and carbs for them to get into nutritional ketosis. Once you have these correct you can adjust the fat grams for satiety and weight loss.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #815
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pantograph
Stats: 222/178.8/170
Start Date: Feb 2010 (Paleo)
This is a great thread.

I've been paleo with carbs at ~75 g/day and protein 150-200 g/d for about 2.5 years, but after losing 50 pounds in about 1.5 years, my weight has crept back up about 10 pounds, leaving me at 181+/-2 pounds on my 6'2" frame for the last couple of months. No question I'm immensely healthier than when I started (when I had 4 out of 5 signs of metabolic syndrome). However, I still don't like the fat left on my belly.

I've read the Volek/Phinney books, which are refreshingly science-based. I've pared my total carbs back to under 50 g/d, and am trying to keep my protein closer to 100 g/d, while trying to keep protein at >30 g per meal. Topped off with plenty of coconut oil, Trader Joe's Organic Heavy Cream, and Kerrygold! I just ordered a Precision Xtra meter and 10 strips to start. It will be interesting to see what I have to tweak for ketosis. Wish me luck!

Terry

Last edited by pantograph; 09-01-2012 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #816
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantograph View Post
This is a great thread.

I've been paleo with carbs at ~75 g/day and protein 150-200 g/d for about 2.5 years, but after losing 50 pounds in about 1.5 year, my weight has crept back up about 10 pounds, leaving me at 181+/-2 pounds on my 6'2" frame for the last couple of months. No question I'm immensely healthier than when I started (when I had 4 out of 5 signs of metabolic syndrome). However, I still don't like the fat left on my belly.

I've read the Volek/Phinney books, which are refreshingly science-based. I've pared my total carbs back to under 50 g/d, and am trying to keep my protein closer to 100 g/d, while trying to keep protein at >30 g per meal. Topped off with plenty of coconut oil, Trader Joe's Organic Heavy Cream, and Kerrygold! I just ordered a Precision Xtra meter and 10 strips to start. It will be interesting to see what I have to tweak for ketosis. Wish me luck!

Terry
Terry! Glad to have you here.

It sounds like you've had great success so far and you're already on the right track to NK. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #817
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
September is here and the no-sweetener challenge has begun. I hope I make it to October!

Here were my numbers from today:
Calories 1,468
Carbs 10g
Fat 120g
Protein 88g
Blood Glucose 2 hrs after dinner: 86

Got in a good circuit body weight workout this morning followed by a mile of intervals. I think I may need a cup of broth before bed.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #818
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Kids4me View Post
September is here and the no-sweetener challenge has begun. I hope I make it to October!
You can definitely do this!!
Old 09-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #819
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:

Yes, Please, and Thank you!!!

My carbs are very low. Under 20 easily (and that's total, not net), and usually around 10. I have lowered my protein quite a bit in the last month, but wanted to tell Mike that I also just got a 5# tub of protein powder! But what I do is take a shaker jar filled with ice, water, and about 1/4 cup of 40% HWC. Then I have about 2/3 of a scoop of protein powder in a separate container for when I'm ready to "eat"...(this is when I am in a class and don't have time to go out to eat). It fills me up and it has basically maybe 2 carbs and 18-20 grams of protein and the rest is fat. Breakfast and dinner are real food.

I don't know how to figure out my grams of protein and fat? My math days are way way way behind me! I have tried fit day and plugging in foods and seeing the percentages, etc., but after reading more of this thread I realize that Atkins Induction (what I've been doing forever it seems) is very different. I have read the Phinney/Volek book, so know that protein levels stay consistent as you change calories/fat grams and carbs. But that's where I get sort of "lost".

What do you need to know to help me figure this out! Many thanks. I ordered my meter and strips today. Thanks Kristn for the American Diabetes site and the code to get 10% of!!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #820
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes, Please, and Thank you!!!

My carbs are very low. Under 20 easily (and that's total, not net), and usually around 10. I have lowered my protein quite a bit in the last month, but wanted to tell Mike that I also just got a 5# tub of protein powder! But what I do is take a shaker jar filled with ice, water, and about 1/4 cup of 40% HWC. Then I have about 2/3 of a scoop of protein powder in a separate container for when I'm ready to "eat"...(this is when I am in a class and don't have time to go out to eat). It fills me up and it has basically maybe 2 carbs and 18-20 grams of protein and the rest is fat. Breakfast and dinner are real food.

I don't know how to figure out my grams of protein and fat? My math days are way way way behind me! I have tried fit day and plugging in foods and seeing the percentages, etc., but after reading more of this thread I realize that Atkins Induction (what I've been doing forever it seems) is very different. I have read the Phinney/Volek book, so know that protein levels stay consistent as you change calories/fat grams and carbs. But that's where I get sort of "lost".

What do you need to know to help me figure this out! Many thanks. I ordered my meter and strips today. Thanks Kristn for the American Diabetes site and the code to get 10% of!!!!
Tell us your height and your goal body fat. Then we can figure out how many pounds of lean body mass you desire when you reach goal. Then we take that number and multiply it by between 0.6 and 1.0 to tell you how many grams of protein to eat each day.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #821
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
What do you think is leading to poor food choices?
Addiction. And the solution to sugarcarby addiction is abstinence. The solution is simple, just not easy. But ketosis will be the ultimate abstinence so I know I'm in the right place.
Quote:
You need to get a week or two of on-plan eating under your belt and it will be so much easier. Going in and out of ketosis is working against you staying on plan. Even though it's hard, I know that you can do it. Nothing worth achieving is ever easy.
I'm really glad you just put the simple truth out there. It's so easy for inaccurate thoughts to swirl around my head such as "this isn't working / won't ever work for me....I can't do this..." etc. That is the addiction talking. I need to just keep saying to myself that in two weeks this all gets easier, because I know you are right. Keep reminding me if needed please!

Quote:
I've been paleo with carbs at ~75 g/day and protein 150-200 g/d for about 2.5 years, but after losing 50 pounds in about 1.5 years, my weight has crept back up about 10 pounds, leaving me at 181+/-2 pounds on my 6'2" frame for the last couple of months. No question I'm immensely healthier than when I started (when I had 4 out of 5 signs of metabolic syndrome). However, I still don't like the fat left on my belly.
Terry! Congrats on your weight loss and very special congrats on reversing your metabolic syndrome markers. I have a few of those I am workin on myself. It seems like you will do very well migrating from what you have been doing into NK, especially since it seems you already have your eating under control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Kids4me View Post
You can do it!

Hi Shelley, Mike, Rebecca and everyone else!

Yesterday on plan. I decided to measuer ketones today so I can document EXACTLY how long the damage lasts to ketones as well as FBG for a fall off the wagon.

Yesterday AM: FBG 121, ketones 0 (I didn't measure, but I KNOW they were 0)
Today AM: FBG 113, ketones .1

I'm going to have my usual breakfast today (1 egg, cooked bacon 1 ounce, coconut oil). Lunch is a bit up in the air as I am supposed to go to a picnic but there is rain in the forecast all day. So not sure what my friend will want to do. (I'm hoping for "stay home" LOL!) Anyway, will make the best possible choice whatever that brings, and then dinner will be decided after that. I am making pork chops and zucchini for Mr. Doggy. I will be having fat, and will see what carbs/pro are appropriate after lunch.

Have a good NK day one and all. Thank you so much for the support. I appreciate it more than you could know.

DG
Old 09-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #822
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
Addiction. And the solution to sugarcarby addiction is abstinence. The solution is simple, just not easy. But ketosis will be the ultimate abstinence so I know I'm in the right place.

I'm really glad you just put the simple truth out there. It's so easy for inaccurate thoughts to swirl around my head such as "this isn't working / won't ever work for me....I can't do this..." etc. That is the addiction talking. I need to just keep saying to myself that in two weeks this all gets easier, because I know you are right. Keep reminding me if needed please!
I am really rooting for you DG! I still vividly remember those first weeks of LC and how I didn't think I was going to make it. But remember how fast two weeks flies by. If you can white knuckle it and stick to your plan you will be beyond those two weeks before you know it.
Quote:
Yesterday on plan. I decided to measuer ketones today so I can document EXACTLY how long the damage lasts to ketones as well as FBG for a fall off the wagon.
Yeah for staying on plan yesterday!!!

Quote:
Yesterday AM: FBG 121, ketones 0 (I didn't measure, but I KNOW they were 0)
Today AM: FBG 113, ketones .1

I'm going to have my usual breakfast today (1 egg, cooked bacon 1 ounce, coconut oil). Lunch is a bit up in the air as I am supposed to go to a picnic but there is rain in the forecast all day. So not sure what my friend will want to do. (I'm hoping for "stay home" LOL!) Anyway, will make the best possible choice whatever that brings, and then dinner will be decided after that. I am making pork chops and zucchini for Mr. Doggy. I will be having fat, and will see what carbs/pro are appropriate after lunch.
Darn those truthful meters. Is your friend bringing all of the food for the picnic? Have you talked to your friend about what foods you can eat? Those unknown situations totally stress me out. Hopefully there will be good choices to be made.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #823
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Are you also having trouble putting your food into ******? Do you have a food scale?

I have come to really like ****** once I learned a few tricks. I love that it figures out grams of macronutrients and percentages without too much effort. If you eat a lot of the same things it is easy to copy them from one day to the next.

I know that some people use other sites that they find more user friendly. And there are apps for smartphones that track this information (I don't have a smartphone).

Quote:
Many thanks. I ordered my meter and strips today. Thanks Kristn for the American Diabetes site and the code to get 10% of!!!!
You're welcome! We need as much help as we can get affording these meters and strips!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #824
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning Everyone! How are you all doing?

Yesterday my (maintenance) intake was:
Protein: 89.1 (20%)
Carbs: 20 (5%)
Fat: 149.5 (77%)
Alcohol: 0 (0%)
Calories: 1755
This morning:
Weight: 149.2 (down 1.2)
Ketones: 1.5

So pretty much on track for my maintenance goals. Slightly higher in protein than my plan, but I'm still in ketosis. Today will probably be another higher protein day. We're smoking ribs for dinner and I'm not exactly sure how to measure the serving. I really don't want to cut the meat off of the ribs but I'm unsure how to measure meat vs. bone.

I broke down and downloaded The TNT diet for my Kindle. While the book is really geared towards men who want to pack on the muscle and lose fat, there is some interesting information. The diet is basically LC but then broken into subsets depending on your goals (maximum fat loss to maximum muscle gain and everything in between). For muscle building and fat loss at the same time TNT recommends a strict LC diet except for the 1 hour before and after exercise window where they recommend consuming protein and carbs. There are way too many protein and carbs in this window for us NKers. But I think I may use the idea of nutrient timing within my maintenance macronutrient allotment . For instance, on my kettlebell days I usually come home from work and try to eat 2 hours before class. From now on I may go to class without eating and then eat a slightly higher protein and carb meal within an hour of class. I would eat lower carbs and protein during the day and use them for this meal. If eating after class doesn't work, I may move the meal into the 1 hour window before class. I hesitate to eat a meal right before class and I don't want to do protein drinks so this wouldn't be my first choice.

Now, this nutrient timing thing isn't new--but I am seeing it with new eyes in an NK LC context. I am also happy to have the meter so that I can see if doing this knocks me out of NK.

I got a nice surprise in my package of ketone strips from American Diabetes Warehouse. I had already pulled out the boxes of strips and was taking out all of the papers that were in the packing box and noticed that they had included one of those little Nova Max folders with two ketone strips! So I got 32 for the price of 30.

Have a great day everyone!!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #825
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Is your friend bringing all of the food for the picnic? Have you talked to your friend about what foods you can eat? Those unknown situations totally stress me out. Hopefully there will be good choices to be made.
It is a LAARGE picnic with burgers/brats being grilled, and the many people coming bringing all the rest "pot luck" style. So if I WERE going, which I am not, (got my wish on that one!) a cheeseburger would be an option. Maybe not a perfect option, but an LC option anyway.

As it is, I am staying home and will can tomatoes, do homework, laundry, etc. today. Perfect for a rainy day!

Interesting stuff about the "meal timing." Back when I was at goal weight and had been maintaining that weight for over a year (I was about 148 then) I thought I wanted to push my (meager) strength training to a new level. I decided to work with a trainer "long distance." After a lot of communication and exchange of info, he sets up the weight training and food plan. The food plan was pretty much LC with the exception of the post workout meal. For that meal, he wanted carbs and insisted basically that it be a junk food thing. "this is the time to have that ice cream sandwich!!" A banana was not good enough.

When he propsed this, I went back and forth with him expressing my concerns about adding sugar back into my plan, etc. He suggested I trust him on this one so I did. WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE!!! That was the moment I can point to where sugar came back in, and my slide down this slippery slope began.

I am not blaming him. I take fully responsibility for my decisions. I blame myself for 1) thinking that a long distance relationship such as a training relationship was a good idea (for me, knowing myself as I do) and 2) taking nutritional advice that I knew in my heart was faulty (for me).

What I learned. I will NEVER EVER eat sugar again because someone else tells me it will be OK.

When I stopped drinking in 2008 I followed a program that offered diet and supplementation advice very similar to Julia Ross (The Diet Cure/The Mood Cure). I never cared much about sweets before I stopped drinking. ALcohol was my "sugar." This program warned about that - warned that anything other than a low carb, sugar free diet could lead to problems with "addiction switching" basically. I followed that advice from May 2008 until I hooked up with this trainer in early 2010. So really had no idea what that sugar thing was going to be like. Holy moly. I sure know now. It has been such a struggle - first denying the real nature of the sugar problem and trying to find a way to make peace with it (Weight Watchers). Then the long bumpy road to acceptance that for my body and mind, I simply have to get rid of it for good - with complete abstinence, I believe.

Anyway...not sure why I felt compelled to write that novel, but there you have it. Julia Ross knows what she's talking about. (and I am currently supplementing in her direction)

Kristn thanks for sharing your detailed daily information for maintenance. I am following that with interest! WOO HOO on 2 unexpected free strips!

DG
Old 09-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #826
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pantograph
Stats: 222/178.8/170
Start Date: Feb 2010 (Paleo)
Quote:

We're smoking ribs for dinner and I'm not exactly sure how to measure the serving. I really don't want to cut the meat off of the ribs but I'm unsure how to measure meat vs. bone.
Kristn, you might try weighing your ribs after cooking, then weigh the bones after you've eaten the meat off them and take the difference. Messy, but a little wax paper or plastic wrap will solve that.

Keep clam,
Terry
Old 09-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #827
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Kristn, you might try weighing your ribs after cooking, then weigh the bones after you've eaten the meat off them and take the difference. Messy, but a little wax paper or plastic wrap will solve that.

Keep clam,
Terry
that's a good idea!

DG
Old 09-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #828
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Keep clam,
Terry
Fabulous idea!!! That is part of my problem with ******/Kristn. My husband smokes ribs and they are fabulous, but there are zillions of items on ****** of what type..same for steaks, and so I don't know how to input such items. Otherwise, I do enjoy ******. We had ribs last night and I had 4, but gave up even trying to record them. Terry...I adore that idea of eating and then weighing the bones!

I am absolutely in love with this thread!!! Thanks everyone involved in helping us "newbies" to this way of life.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #829
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Tell us your height and your goal body fat. Then we can figure out how many pounds of lean body mass you desire when you reach goal. Then we take that number and multiply it by between 0.6 and 1.0 to tell you how many grams of protein to eat each day.
OK...I'm 5' 5-3/4" tall. I am 64 years of age and weigh 157.4 as of this morning. I have no idea what a good bodyfat is for me...I think they say women should be under 25%??? I was 130# for years and years and years and loved being that weight, but I also had no muscle whatsoever then, and muscle weighs more than fat. However, I was also a size 6-8 and now I'm just getting back into my 10 jeans, and have a closetful of size 8's that I would dearly love to wear this fall/winter (yummy stretch cord jeans...all size 8's!)

I was eating about 100 grams of protein, and then cut back to about 60, and recently have been closer to 50.

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #830
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Keep clam,
Terry
Thank you so much!! I am going to do this. This might sound obsessive but I think I'll weigh each rib as I'm eating them so that I don't go over on my protein (or if I do I'll go into it with my eyes wide open).
Old 09-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #831
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
OK...I'm 5' 5-3/4" tall. I am 64 years of age and weigh 157.4 as of this morning. I have no idea what a good bodyfat is for me...I think they say women should be under 25%???
There is so much conflicting information about what is ideal for a woman! I think probably anywhere from 20-30% is great! It's also really hard to get an accurate measurement. I am sticking with 25% as my "ideal" for now (at 49) until I get dunked next week. I will adjust my goal at that time.

Quote:
I was 130# for years and years and years and loved being that weight, but I also had no muscle whatsoever then, and muscle weighs more than fat. However, I was also a size 6-8 and now I'm just getting back into my 10 jeans, and have a closetful of size 8's that I would dearly love to wear this fall/winter (yummy stretch cord jeans...all size 8's!)

I was eating about 100 grams of protein, and then cut back to about 60, and recently have been closer to 50.

Thanks for your help!
Do you have a goal weight? At 130 and 25% fat your protein requirement is:

130*.75=97.5 (goal lbm)
97.5*.6=58.5 (low end of protein requirement)
97.5*1=97.5 (high end of protein requirement)

So for a goal weight of 130@25%BF your range is 58.5-97.5. Most of us have felt that we needed to start at the lower end of the range. So 60is is probably right for you if this is your goal.

If your goal weight is higher than 130 you can substitute that number for 130 in the above calculation
Old 09-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #832
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/22/11
Thanks all for the FAQ suggestions. I will try drafting up a section or two and will post here for feedback. If anyone wants to pick out a few questions and pitch in, feel free! There are a few that I don't know the answers to myself yet.

The last 24 hours have been a roller coaster from a NK perspective! Started yesterday AM with a 0.3 reading. I decided to go without my usual protein shake and had the CO in tea instead. We only had one egg left so I had one egg instead of two. Long story short I was starving most of the AM.

Lunch was a small chicken breast with a heap of guac on top, some mac nuts and some veggies dipped in cream cheese. Around 3pm I decided to check my keytones again because folks have said AM is when they are lowest. So at 3pm I tested and they had gone DOWN to 0.2!

After that, I went on a 3mi run and had a date night with the wife. We went to a brazillian steakhouse so I thought for sure I was blowing my protein for the day. I had people handing me meat left and right! I loved their casesar dressing so I did ease up on the meat and have two helpings of that.

After dinner we went out for drinks and I had two glasses of wine. So I was sure that I'd totally blown any chance of NK - a huge protein fest followed by wine.

Then this AM I tested twice because the first strip told me 4.6 which I knew had to be a bad reading. I immediately tested again and got 0.9.

(Has anyone else had inconsistent readings like that? I've also had two strips error out on me entirely.)

From my tracking online I consumed very slightly less protein than I had been last week - 92g vs an avg around 100. Maybe this was enough to do it? I would have thought the alcohol would have screwed everything up.

In any case, I am slightly encouraged but eager to see if the trend holds. I will say that the one big change yesterday was no protein shakes, so maybe that was the change I needed. We shall see!

Mike
Old 09-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #833
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That is part of my problem with ******/Kristn. My husband smokes ribs and they are fabulous, but there are zillions of items on ****** of what type..same for steaks, and so I don't know how to input such items. Otherwise, I do enjoy ******.
I just find the closest I can and call it good. What I find frustrating is that their steaks, chops, etc. all seem to be "trimmed to 0 fat." I'm sure that those counts are off, because I don't usually eat meat that's trimmed that way. But I do the best that I can.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #834
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker295 View Post
Thanks all for the FAQ suggestions. I will try drafting up a section or two and will post here for feedback. If anyone wants to pick out a few questions and pitch in, feel free! There are a few that I don't know the answers to myself yet.
Thanks for doing this Mike! I will take a look. I think a lot of it can be copy-pasted from posts on this thread, but it's a heck of a job to sort through.

Quote:
The last 24 hours have been a roller coaster from a NK perspective! Started yesterday AM with a 0.3 reading. I decided to go without my usual protein shake and had the CO in tea instead. We only had one egg left so I had one egg instead of two. Long story short I was starving most of the AM.

Lunch was a small chicken breast with a heap of guac on top, some mac nuts and some veggies dipped in cream cheese. Around 3pm I decided to check my keytones again because folks have said AM is when they are lowest. So at 3pm I tested and they had gone DOWN to 0.2!

After that, I went on a 3mi run and had a date night with the wife. We went to a brazillian steakhouse so I thought for sure I was blowing my protein for the day. I had people handing me meat left and right! I loved their casesar dressing so I did ease up on the meat and have two helpings of that.

After dinner we went out for drinks and I had two glasses of wine. So I was sure that I'd totally blown any chance of NK - a huge protein fest followed by wine.

Then this AM I tested twice because the first strip told me 4.6 which I knew had to be a bad reading. I immediately tested again and got 0.9.

(Has anyone else had inconsistent readings like that? I've also had two strips error out on me entirely.)

From my tracking online I consumed very slightly less protein than I had been last week - 92g vs an avg around 100. Maybe this was enough to do it? I would have thought the alcohol would have screwed everything up.

In any case, I am slightly encouraged but eager to see if the trend holds. I will say that the one big change yesterday was no protein shakes, so maybe that was the change I needed. We shall see!

Mike
I think that ditching the protein shake combined with the run helped the ketosis. I am surprised about the .2 reading, but maybe the combo of the chicken breast and the carbs was enough to keep you out of ketosis at that time. My thought is that the 3 mile run was enough to jump-start ketosis as you were probably already almost there.

I have stayed in ketosis while consuming alcohol, but am now wary of the carbs in wine so stick to Vokda.

I have only had one error with my strips when I didn't have enough blood. You could call the manufacturer and ask for replacement strips.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #835
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the calculations for me Kristn....and 130 is my goal weight since I liked that and was there for so many years (in my 50's) and 25% bodyfat is where I remember being too! Thank you.

Mike, you are doing great, but I"m sad about the protein shake being "the change" that you feel got you into the right ketone levels. When I get my strips, I'll have to run that same test...with and without the shake.

Thanks for all the time you are investing in doing a FAQ for all of us!
Old 09-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #836
Senior LCF Member

Rebecca....I just checked out your blogspot....sorry about the spammers. I'm glad you are continuing the site. I have been wandering around in it and have really enjoyed it all. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #837
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Hi Mike! I lurk but don't post here often...struggling with a few issues.

I think a recipe section (in the menu section) would be a great addition to your FAQ idea. There is always a problem with "WHAT THE HECK DO I EAT TO UP THE FAT?".
Old 09-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #838
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Rebecca....I just checked out your blogspot....sorry about the spammers. I'm glad you are continuing the site. I have been wandering around in it and have really enjoyed it all. Thanks!
Thanks for reading, Shelley!
Old 09-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #839
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
This is a great thread.

Terry
Well, I wrote a reply to you, Terry, but I just looked and it's not there. Hmmm.. What I said was...

Also, I asked if your name pantograph shows that you are a quilter.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #840
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Rebecca you found a chart showing acceptable body fat percentages correlated to age groups, didn't you?
I am 54 and was happily thinking 30% was acceptable.
But now I don't remember how/where the chart was deduced.
Closed Thread