Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mcchimento
Stats: 261.8/238.0/140.0
WOE: Atkins '72 mostly with a sprinkle of DANDR
Start Date: NOW!!! Restart date: 1/12/2014
I need to order the meter NOW. I get at least 2 free strips so that it will at least tell me where I am and when I hit a plateau if it is real.

Today's menu:

B- 2 eggs, 2T heavy cream, 1 T. butter
L- 4 oz. hamburger (73%); slice of cheese; 1 T. mayo'
D- Linda Sue's Chicken Parmesan (1 breast); salad greens; 2 T. Ranch dressing
S- pickle
Drinking tea instead of soft drinks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #32
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Recently, there was an interesting story or blog entry about a person who thought that they were one of those that didn't do well in ketosis and the same person was also an athlete. On further examination, this person discovered that their consumption of protein was too high and actually keeping him from becoming keto-adapated and consequently leaving him feeling unwell and fatigued. Anyone remember who this was?

Anyway, the moral of the story is that even if you are well versed in the' methodology' of low carb eating, it may not be as accurate as it needs to be and too much protein can have you bouncing in and out of ketosis even if carbs are low enough.

I bought 5 avocados today along with a huge chunk of hard cheese. I got my order of 20lbs. of grass fed ground beef last week and have stocked up on my free-range eggs and organic butter and have a big supply of almond butter/coconut oil cups. I think I am good to go!!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 07-16-2012 at 03:17 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
clackley--we buy a grass fed steer every fall and have a freezer stocked full of beef! We've been doing it for 6 years and love having all that meat in the freezer. We also get pastured eggs from our neighbors and belong to a CSA.

I've been having a busy day at work and then have to rush home and eat before my kettlebell class.

I pretty much eat the same thing every day for breakfast/lunch during the week. Eggs & avocado for breakfast and chicken or salmon salad for lunch. Tonight's dinner will be leftover hamburger and salad.

I am excited to get my new strips and to start using them to direct my diet. Does anyone know what time of day is best to test? I couldn't find it in the book, it's just really vague. I wonder if it matters? I guess one would want to test at the same time every day.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

svenskamae--that sounds frustrating. What is your typical menu like?

You should definitely be losing! I have overtrained in the past and it stopped my losses. It's hard because you think that the more you exercise the faster you'll lose, but sometimes it does the opposite.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Carli
Start Date: March 7 2011
So today I went for the gym...for the SECOND day in a row! ha. This is a big deal for me....I drive past the building no less than 6 times per day, and I haven't stepped foot in the building for about a year and a half.

B- 2 eggs, fried in butter and 4 slices of bacon, coffee with HWC
L- 2T coconut butter
S- 1/2 ounce almonds, 1 baby bell cheese
D- 3 ounces chicken, 1 link of sausage

That puts me at:
1218 calories
98g fat
70.5. protein

I may have something more later, Im working late tonight.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carli View Post
So today I went for the gym...for the SECOND day in a row! ha. This is a big deal for me....I drive past the building no less than 6 times per day, and I haven't stepped foot in the building for about a year and a half.
Woo hoo Carli! What is your new workout routine?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Kids4me View Post
Be at goal of 165 lbs by November 26th when dh and I go on a cruise for our 15th Anniversary (which is in August, but we're going with friends in November). I hope to be a size 8 at that weight. We'll see how things work out. I'm 5'6.5" and carry a lot of muscle.
3Kids4me--I love your vacation goal. My DH and I are going to Hawaii in October and I also want to be at goal before our trip. We're renting a house on the beach with great friends and I want a new bathing suit and to not feel self conscious wearing it! I'm an inch shorter than you and should be in a 10 at 150. My 12s are starting to feel loose right now so I know that I'm almost there! I don't know if I've ever fit into an 8--I also carry a lot of muscle.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
svenskamae--that sounds frustrating. What is your typical menu like?

You should definitely be losing! I have overtrained in the past and it stopped my losses. It's hard because you think that the more you exercise the faster you'll lose, but sometimes it does the opposite.
Thanks for your encouragement, Kristen. I'm going to try upping my calorie limit to 1500, stopping the intense workouts on the elliptical machine for a while, and doing just moderate walking (5 miles a day is easy, since I walk to and from work) and toning exercises for a while. I'm also going to try upping the percentage of fat in my diet, and cutting back the protein. And I'll try to be guided by advice here and by what those expensive ketosis strips show!

Here are my results from my online tracking program for a few days--but bear in mind that this is reporting total carbs, not net carbs. I eat no grains, no sweeteners, no starchy vegetables, and eat only full-fat dairy.

Day 1: 1325 calories, 42 grams carbs (but this counted half an avocado as 9 carbs), 90 grams fat, and 94 grams protein; 1675 calories burned with exercise.

Day 2: 1361 calories, 36 total carbs, 79 grams fat, 116 grams protein. 500 calories burned through exercise.

Day 3: 1212 calories, 38 total carbs, 87 grams fat, 67 grams protein; 909 calories burned through exercise.

Day 4: 1516 calories, 21 total carbs, 112 grams fat, 96 grams protein; 650 calories burned through exercise.

Those are pretty characteristic of my diet and exercise. I need to find an alternative to or modify my online tracker, so that I'm getting net carbs rather than total carbs. Does this sound like overtraining and/or too low calorie goals to you?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Woo hoo Carli! What is your new workout routine?
I have problem feet, so Im starting slow. I do 10 minute intervals of the treadmill and two different elliptical machines. So 30 minutes of cardio total. I was going to go to a weight training class tonight but worked late.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Those are pretty characteristic of my diet and exercise. I need to find an alternative to or modify my online tracker, so that I'm getting net carbs rather than total carbs. Does this sound like overtraining and/or too low calorie goals to you?
I think that lowering protein and upping fat is a good strategy. I personally wouldn't be afraid of holding my calories low (1200ish) if I wasn't working out as hard. I think it's the combo of low calories and intense workouts that lead to trouble.

Can you estimate your lean body mass? There are all sorts of calculators on the 'net to figure out protein requirement. Phinney & Volek say to us .6 to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, but there are other calculations based on goal weight, etc.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Can you estimate your lean body mass? There are all sorts of calculators on the 'net to figure out protein requirement. Phinney & Volek say to us .6 to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, but there are other calculations based on goal weight, etc.
At my last biometric assessment (required for insurance), I learned my weight and my percent body fat, so I'm assuming that everything that wasn't fat counts as my lean body mass. According to that calculation, I have 116 pounds of lean body mass. That would leave me at 70 to 116 grams of protein required. I haven't been exceeding that, though I've been more on the high side more often than on the low side of that calculation.

Thoughts? Thanks a lot for any advice; I've been getting very frustrated.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hippyatheart
Stats: 187/176/137
WOE: Induction
Start Date: June 8, 2012
This is what I had to eat today:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled, coffee with 2T coconut oil 2T SF creamer
Lunch: 1 hamburger patty with 1 slice Kraft deluxe pepper jack cheese, 2 slices bacon, 1/4 avocado
Dinner: 4 oz of steak, 2 oz chicken w/ skin, 1/2 cup of broccoli, coffee with SF creamer

Does this sound about right? I am fairly new to LC eating, so I am still figuring this all out. I lost 6 pounds the first week and haven't really lost anything since and I have been a month on induction. I am trying to up my fat intake and lower my protein. I have also hired a personal trainer 3 times a week and this is my second week into the year long program. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, hippyatheart! I just reporting not losing anything for a month, so I may lack credibility, but I wanted to congratulate you on staying on course and trying new approaches (the personal trainer, joining this challenge) when many people would have gotten frustrated and quit. Your menu sounds good to me, though perhaps a little low on non-starchy vegetables.

You might try using an online tracker, if you are uncertain about your food choices. I just started using one, which lets you choose to show net carbs (along with grams of fat and protein) and to pick a diet (such as Atkins). I just ented my food for the day and learned that the program thinks I did "reasonably well" for "Atkins induction phase."
Old 07-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
At my last biometric assessment (required for insurance), I learned my weight and my percent body fat, so I'm assuming that everything that wasn't fat counts as my lean body mass. According to that calculation, I have 116 pounds of lean body mass. That would leave me at 70 to 116 grams of protein required. I haven't been exceeding that, though I've been more on the high side more often than on the low side of that calculation.

Thoughts? Thanks a lot for any advice; I've been getting very frustrated.
Perhaps sticking to the low end of the protein calculation might help? Every one is going to have their own threshold for protein. You could stick to the low end and see if that works. If it does work you could slowly up your protein until you hit the sweet spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyatheart
Does this sound about right? I am fairly new to LC eating, so I am still figuring this all out. I lost 6 pounds the first week and haven't really lost anything since and I have been a month on induction. I am trying to up my fat intake and lower my protein. I have also hired a personal trainer 3 times a week and this is my second week into the year long program. Any help would be much appreciated!
Congrats on hiring the personal trainer! I am with svenskamae--your diet looks pretty good but perhaps you could add a few more non-starchy vegetables. Also how many grams of protein are you eating? You may need to lower your protein slightly.

Also, there is the dreaded post-induction stall where you body catches up with the initial weight loss. Don't get discouraged!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hippyatheart
Stats: 187/176/137
WOE: Induction
Start Date: June 8, 2012
Quote:

Congrats on hiring the personal trainer! I am with svenskamae--your diet looks pretty good but perhaps you could add a few more non-starchy vegetables. Also how many grams of protein are you eating? You may need to lower your protein slightly.

Also, there is the dreaded post-induction stall where you body catches up with the initial weight loss. Don't get discouraged!

My calculations today are:
Fat 75% Carb: 4% and Protein 21% @1387 calories

I ate 74 grams of protein, 115 grams of fat, and 16 carbs.

How does this look?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyatheart View Post

How does this look?
That looks very good to me!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyatheart View Post

How does this look?
Looks good to me too!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Im still trying to navigate the boards, is there an easy way to *bookmark* this thread so I can continue to come back to it?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:12 AM   #49
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Yes, just bookmark it on your computer when you are on this thread!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Im still trying to navigate the boards, is there an easy way to *bookmark* this thread so I can continue to come back to it?
Also, if you are subscribed to the thread you can always find it on your user control panel.

I seem to always be subscribed to threads when I post. This is probably a setting somewhere.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
See up top where it says "welcome, carli"? Click on "quick links" in the blue bar under that. Scroll down to "subscribed threads". That will give you a list of all threads where you have posted.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/145.6/?
WOE: lc
I have only done 1 day of the higher fat/lower protein, didn't count just upped the fat and lowered the protein amounts from what I had been eating. My urine ketosticks went from trace to dark purple by the end of the day. I know the urine sticks are not as accurate, but am not working right now and can't afford to do the blood testing. I have a headache and felt hungry earlier today than normal, but didn't eat because nothing sounded good. I did have some heartburn last night from the fat though. I am going to keep trying this strategy and hope that it works.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Well today I set up my ketone meter and did my first reading. Drumroll please.....I scored a 2.1! From what I understand on Jimmys blog, that's just about perfect right?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mcchimento
Stats: 261.8/238.0/140.0
WOE: Atkins '72 mostly with a sprinkle of DANDR
Start Date: NOW!!! Restart date: 1/12/2014
Bouncing around the same two pounds for a week. I think I am going to back off some of the vegetables and go back to the way I was eating the first two weeks. I am only shooting for a 2 lb. loss so hopefully this will start the losing back up again.

B/L - 3 eggs; 1 cup broccoli; 2 T. butter; 1 slice cheese
D - 4 oz. hamburger (73%); 2 eggs with 1 T. heavy cream; romaine salad (30g) with 1 T. buttermilk ranch dressing

Hope this works!

Cathy

75% calories from fat = 125 total grams of fat
20% calories from protein = 75 total grams of protein
No more than 5% calories from carbohydrates= 19 total grams of carbohydrates
(average:1200 calories)

Week 1/2: Follow Induction (DANDR) - no more than 100 g. of salad lettuce and 50 g. of vegetable
Week 3: Follow Induction (DANDR) - no more than 100 g. of salad lettuce and 100 g. of vegetable
Week 4/5: Follow Induction (DANDR) - no more than 150 g. of salad lettuce and 100 g. of vegetable

July 1: 233.4 lbs. (-8.4)
July 8: 230.8 lbs. (-11.0)
July 15: 228.0 lbs. (- 13.8)

Start weight: 261.8
Goal #1: 251.8 (-10 lbs.) met 1/21/2014
Goal #2: 241.8 (-10 lbs.) met 2/19/2014
Goal #3: 231.8 (-10 lbs.)
Goal #4: 221.8 (-10 lbs.)
Goal #5: 211.8 (-10 lbs.)
Goal #6: 201.8 (-10 lbs.)
Mini goal: 199.8 (-2 lbs.)
Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you, everyone, for posting as we try/figure this out. I ordered the low carb performance book from Amazon, and it should arrive on Wednesday; I'll try to order the testing thingy this week.

I'm ever so happy to report that after trying to lower my cortisol level and get rid of some of my water retention for 3 days (drinking a glass of water every 30-60 minutes, catching up on sleep, NOT working overtime and just relaxing this weekend, cutting back my exercise to some moderate-paced walking, and upping my calories to around 1500), I broke my monthlong stall! My waist measurement was down an inch this morning; my hip measurement was down a half-inch; and I can fit into some more of my old clothes. I also feel lots more rested after taking a break from pushing so hard in every way.

I appreciate all the support I've gotten from this board, and especially thank Kristen for her support here. I'm looking forward to moving ahead in nutritional ketosis, with more emphasis on fats and less protein.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem
I have only done 1 day of the higher fat/lower protein, didn't count just upped the fat and lowered the protein amounts from what I had been eating. My urine ketosticks went from trace to dark purple by the end of the day. I know the urine sticks are not as accurate, but am not working right now and can't afford to do the blood testing. I have a headache and felt hungry earlier today than normal, but didn't eat because nothing sounded good. I did have some heartburn last night from the fat though. I am going to keep trying this strategy and hope that it works.
Perhaps the adjustment into deep ketosis is causing your symptoms. I hope that you see some results soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carli
Well today I set up my ketone meter and did my first reading. Drumroll please.....I scored a 2.1! From what I understand on Jimmys blog, that's just about perfect right?
Yeah Carli!! The range should be from .5 to 3.0 so you are right on target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchimento
Bouncing around the same two pounds for a week. I think I am going to back off some of the vegetables and go back to the way I was eating the first two weeks. I am only shooting for a 2 lb. loss so hopefully this will start the losing back up again.
We are all so individual. Tweaking your diet to see what works is the best way to find the right ratio of fat/protein/carbs for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae
Thank you, everyone, for posting as we try/figure this out. I ordered the low carb performance book from Amazon, and it should arrive on Wednesday; I'll try to order the testing thingy this week.

I'm ever so happy to report that after trying to lower my cortisol level and get rid of some of my water retention for 3 days (drinking a glass of water every 30-60 minutes, catching up on sleep, NOT working overtime and just relaxing this weekend, cutting back my exercise to some moderate-paced walking, and upping my calories to around 1500), I broke my monthlong stall! My waist measurement was down an inch this morning; my hip measurement was down a half-inch; and I can fit into some more of my old clothes. I also feel lots more rested after taking a break from pushing so hard in every way.
That's great news svenskamae! Congratuations on breaking your stall.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

I am tired today. I think I might be overdoing it with working out so I've decided that today is a rest day.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BajaBreeze
Stats: 315/246/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 2012
I'd like to join you in this challenge. I lost about 70 lb. since Christmas following the traditional LC, then I hit a stretch where it was almost stalled for a couple months. Somehow in all my reading I missed the part about excess protein converting to carbs. I am positive I was eating too much protein.

I read on these boards where a few others increased their fat and cut back on protein. I started doing that about 10 days ago. The scale has started moving again.

I am probably eating more calories than most of you, but at this point I am just going to focus on the fat/protein aspect and deal with calories if the scale stops moving again.

I just got the book The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living and will start reading it. I'm looking forward to learning more about this with all of you!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome BajaBreeze!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #60
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/145.6/?
WOE: lc
Oh my just read Jimmy's blog and Rebecca's as well. Their protein is way low!!!
Closed Thread