Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #511
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Daytona!
WOE: Ketogenic Paleo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Good morning everyone!! I am still holding steady at 154. I'm happy to have it stick!

Speaking of hormonal issues like menopause, I am having a strange TOM this month. It completely stopped last Friday and then picked up again over the weekend. It's not heavy, but I'm still bleeding 10 days after TOM started. I had this once before about a year ago and my doctor wasn't worried. I'm going to give it 14 days and if it's still happening I'll go see the doc.

Because of this strangeness I tested this morning: Ketones 1.3, Glucose 75. So still on track with ketosis. My eating has also been right on target this week so far.

How is everyone else doing??
Congrats on maintaining! Have you ever checked out the site paleoforwomen? She has some great posts on how nutrition can affect "TOM" and I found it helpful to read the posts from other women who have experienced strange side effects as they changed their diet.

Since I'm hopped on hormones, short of fasting, what I eat doesn't seem to affect my lady time. However many posters have noted that when they fasted or were VLC, their periods went away.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #512
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona! View Post
Congrats on maintaining! Have you ever checked out the site paleoforwomen? She has some great posts on how nutrition can affect "TOM" and I found it helpful to read the posts from other women who have experienced strange side effects as they changed their diet.

Since I'm hopped on hormones, short of fasting, what I eat doesn't seem to affect my lady time. However many posters have noted that when they fasted or were VLC, their periods went away.
Thanks. I'll take a look at the site and see if there are any insights.

I've been consistently LC for 11 years and it actually "fixed" my cycles at 28 days. I think this is probably more to do with perimenopause or thyroid hormones (my endo reduced my T4 slightly at the last visit but kept T3 at the same level). I've had a complete hormone work up 6 months ago and all iof my female hormones were good. But my ND did say that at my age things can change on a dime.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #513
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jimtoslim
Stats: 330/295/???
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: rerere start 6/2012
Dept of holidays

Two weeks are flying by at the lake. I have been sticking to plan, but not tracking what I eat. Started putting butter in the coffee, and I like it! Sneaking in fat where I can. My sister puts balsamic on everything, but it is not much sugar.

I just hide when the famous pie and ice cream come out. Oh, to be a teenager again.

. My blood ketones are staying in the right zone, up to 1.9 at the highest.

I have had a few alcoholic drinks that don't seem to throw me off. Vodka soda, and a it of red wine.

I will be interested to visit the scales when I get home. None around the cottage, and both the home scales are wonky. I have been using the nearby doc's scales as the official weigh in. Keeps me from obsessing about it.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #514
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Lean body mass is anything in your body that is not fat.

I am not shooting for less protein than I need to maintain my muscles. I am shooting for the amount of protein I need to BUILD UP my muscles to the lean body mass I desire to have. Right now, I have LESS muscle than I desire to have.

Where I was when I started in February 2009 at 158 pounds:
44.8% body fat and 55.2% lean body mass
70.8 pounds of body fat and 87.2 pounds of lean body mass

My goal at 132 pounds:
25% body fat and 75% lean body mass
33 pounds of body fat and 99 pounds of lean body mass

Where I am today at 144.8 pounds:
34.4% body fat and 65.6% lean body mass
49.8 pounds of body fat and 95 pounds of lean body mass

So, in other words, so far I have lost 21 pounds of body fat and I have GAINED 7.8 pounds of lean body mass.

I still have another 16.8 pounds of body fat to lose and another 4 pounds of lean body mass to gain.

If I eat the amount of protein I need to maintain 99 pounds of lean body mass, that means I will GAIN muscle eating that amount, not lose muscle.

Does that make sense?
How do you come up with a LBM percentage or how much muscle you have? I've seen various things which say you can figure BMI but even that how do you know it is accurate?

Thanks,
Old 08-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #515
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrielyn View Post
How do you come up with a LBM percentage or how much muscle you have? I've seen various things which say you can figure BMI but even that how do you know it is accurate?

Thanks,
There are other approaches, but I used data from my last biometric exam (for insurance), which came from a scale that measured percent body fat as well as weight. I was told then that I had 44 percent body fat (I hope it's lower now), so I assumed the other 56% of my weight was lean body mass, and multiplied my weight by .56 to estimate my pounds of lean body mass. I don't know how accurate that is, but it gives me a number to start from, anyway.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #516
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
There are other approaches, but I used data from my last biometric exam (for insurance), which came from a scale that measured percent body fat as well as weight. I was told then that I had 44 percent body fat (I hope it's lower now), so I assumed the other 56% of my weight was lean body mass, and multiplied my weight by .56 to estimate my pounds of lean body mass. I don't know how accurate that is, but it gives me a number to start from, anyway.
Yes, I just use my home scale that measures fat percentage. So 100% minus the fat percentage gives me lean body mass percentage, which I multiply by my weight to get lean pounds (and divide by 2.2 for lean kg).

It seems accurate to me. I know I have done the calipers as a young teen/woman by phys ed teachers, and was at 17% at 85 pounds, and 27% at 125 pounds. My home scale says 28% right now at 126.6, so I think my home scale is accurate for me. I've seen some online calculator estimates, but I don't think they are very accurate, especially if you don't have a typical figure (which I don't).
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
Old 08-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #517
Major LCF Poster!

The kettlebell gyn where I train is having one of those fat dunk trucks visit in September. I think I'm going to give it a shot. It might help me refine my goals and protein requirements.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #518
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Carli
Start Date: March 7 2011
I've joined a weight loss challenge. The prize is money...so Im motivated and a little more focused on the scale these days..lol But I haven't been losing. Last week I did lose 4 pounds, but it was all over the weekend. All week long my weight crept up a few ounces at a time.

Well since Monday, the SAME thing has happened...I weigh every morning, and in 4 days Im already up a full pound. Ive been very low carb...not really eating much and thinking I was in ketosis due to the lack of hunger.

Well guess what..I decided to do a blood test this morning...Im at a 0.2! No wonder I havent been losing. Clearly since I haven't been eating much..Ive been grabbing a piece of chicken here or there and my fat percentage has dropped. So starting today Im going to be log my food more, up my fat, and see what I test on Monday.

And really, now that I think about it, I HAVE been hungry. Its not the same sensation as being in ketosis. I have felt hungry, but able to control and delay hunger that because I didn't have that panicked sensation from my insulin being high on carbs. Does that make sense? Its definitely not the same type of hunger.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #519
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!! Nothing new to report today. Today will be a scorcher for Seattle (90 degrees). Thankfully I work in an air conditioned office.

I am wearing size 10 shorts today. My goal size and they fit perfectly!

How are you all doing??
Old 08-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #520
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vita oldie
Stats: 160 want to be below 140
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2012
Paulabob you have lost an amazing amount of weight-well done.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #521
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Woohoo on wearing size 10 shorts, Kristn. Congratulations and admiration to everyone here who has been showing losses, determination, and self-control.

I just got back from being out of town for a week (staying pretty much on plan, though sometimes eating more than usual), and I'll try to take the time this weekend to start doing my blood testing for ketosis. (I have to read through the directions and psych myself up for the needle/lancet stick, since I'm not much of a fan of needles.) Right now, I'm eating lowcarb but not paying a lot of attention to my protein grams versus fat grams; I'll see how I do in my first tests and then start tweaking as needed.

I am doing intermittent fasting without ill effect, so far as I can tell; I eat dinner around 6 and then nothing except water until breakfast around 9. I try to do a filling breakfast (protein and fats), have only a snack (like some nuts or a piece of salami) in place of lunch, and then have dinner. I've been past menopause for a couple of years, so I'm not at risk of having some hormonal effects, so far as I know. If I find that I'm too hungry to sleep or stay asleep, then I eat 1-2 Tablespoons of coconut butter (which is like eating coconut oil but with some of the coconut fiber, making it more palatable to me), plus lots of water.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #522
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome back svenskamae! It sounds like you did great on your trip!

It will be interesting to see your results with the ketone tests. I don't find using the lancet that difficult. It really is just a slight prick. Make sure to squeeze out a good droplet though. The only time I messed up a ketone strip was when I didn't have enough blood. It doesn't take that much, but I was just shy.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #523
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carli View Post
I've joined a weight loss challenge. The prize is money...so Im motivated and a little more focused on the scale these days..lol But I haven't been losing. Last week I did lose 4 pounds, but it was all over the weekend. All week long my weight crept up a few ounces at a time.

Well since Monday, the SAME thing has happened...I weigh every morning, and in 4 days Im already up a full pound. Ive been very low carb...not really eating much and thinking I was in ketosis due to the lack of hunger.

Well guess what..I decided to do a blood test this morning...Im at a 0.2! No wonder I havent been losing. Clearly since I haven't been eating much..Ive been grabbing a piece of chicken here or there and my fat percentage has dropped. So starting today Im going to be log my food more, up my fat, and see what I test on Monday.

And really, now that I think about it, I HAVE been hungry. Its not the same sensation as being in ketosis. I have felt hungry, but able to control and delay hunger that because I didn't have that panicked sensation from my insulin being high on carbs. Does that make sense? Its definitely not the same type of hunger.
Boy, aren't you glad we have the technology to test blood ketones now? I might be in a whole 'nuther place now if I had been able to test three years ago when I started!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #524
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good morning everyone!! Nothing new to report today. Today will be a scorcher for Seattle (90 degrees). Thankfully I work in an air conditioned office.

I am wearing size 10 shorts today. My goal size and they fit perfectly!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #525
Senior LCF Member

We celebrated my husband's birthday on Wednesday, and I gained. I ate the food that I should, but too much of it, and then ate something for dessert that I should not have had at all - strawberries.

I lost a little bit of it this morning. I am hoping that I will get back to where I was by tomorrow or the next day.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #526
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita oldie View Post
Paulabob you have lost an amazing amount of weight-well done.
Thanks - it was a lengthy process. I was actually at my all time high in December 2006 (232 pounds), so am 107 pounds down from there today. I hope I can make it all the way to goal on this plan...little tired of never making it! It's certainly faster and easier for me to gain weight than it is to lose it.

Inched back to a 125 number today. May need to pass the upcoming TOM before rehitting the 124 and below numbers. Trying to be patient...and do okay with lunch out today and dinner tomorrow will be tricky at a party.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #527
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
We celebrated my husband's birthday on Wednesday, and I gained. I ate the food that I should, but too much of it, and then ate something for dessert that I should not have had at all - strawberries.

I lost a little bit of it this morning. I am hoping that I will get back to where I was by tomorrow or the next day.
I'm sure it will slide right off!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #528
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
Thanks - it was a lengthy process. I was actually at my all time high in December 2006 (232 pounds), so am 107 pounds down from there today. I hope I can make it all the way to goal on this plan...little tired of never making it! It's certainly faster and easier for me to gain weight than it is to lose it.
I too hope that I can make it to goal. It can get so discouraging to not quite get there.

Quote:
Inched back to a 125 number today. May need to pass the upcoming TOM before rehitting the 124 and below numbers. Trying to be patient...and do okay with lunch out today and dinner tomorrow will be tricky at a party.
Patience is the key with TOM. My pattern seems to be: bounce around for a while, lose a pound or two, bounce around for a while, lose a pound or two, stop losing for TOM, lose a pound or two...
Old 08-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #529
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone! I'm still hanging on at 154.

This weekend holds a few challenges. We're spending the evening with my son who is leaving for a semester in Prague next Wednesday. It will be dinner and a movie and I have not yet decided whether to go out for dinner or make something at home. It's really hot here and since it's an anomaly we don't have air conditioning. We could grill, but it's going to be hot, hot, hot! I am loath to eat out because of the uncertainty of sticking tightly to my plan.

Tomorrow night we're having our neighbors over for dinner. That should be a bit easier to control. But there will be a few cocktails which always lowers my guard.

How is everyone else doing?
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #530
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carli View Post

I find that tracking is really key to keeping in nutritional ketosis. For me it's so easy to go over on protein (a little bit here and there can really add up I guess). Carbs are actually pretty easy to keep low for me, but can really go overboard with protein.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #531
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Yep, if I want to "cheat" or turn a blind eye, it is to protein. Adds up quickly.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #532
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!!

Usually we eat pretty simple meals but last night I made shrimp curry for my son's going away dinner. I didn't weight and measure, just eyeballed. So I thought I'd test this morning to make sure I was still holding strong in ketosis.

This morning's ketones: 2.1
Blood glucose: 77

My weight was up 1 pound to 155. Bounce around is pretty normal and dinner last night had a lot of salt, so I'm not concerned.

I am worried about dinner tonight so I'm trying to set a mental picture of what I will be eating before we get together with our friends. My menu is grilled ribeye, cauliflower salad, and green salad. We will have some berries for dessert but my plan is not to eat them. There will also be cocktails and wine. I will stick to vodka soda.

Hopefully it won't throw me too far off plan. I'll be checking ketones again tomorrow morning.

How is everyone else doing? Any challenges/triumphs this weekend??
Old 08-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #533
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
How is everyone else doing? Any challenges/triumphs this weekend??
Same as you...will be eating before attending a party. Will bring my own wine...and use that if I want it. Hopefully can avoid the little temptations while there. I know there will be carby treats, so I think better to be full before going over. Sunday will be easy for me at least!

TOM will arrive sometime in the next week and I should start getting scale movement after that! I know I'm at the emotional stage right now.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #534
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jimtoslim
Stats: 330/295/???
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: rerere start 6/2012
I had several books to read up here at the lake, but failed to make much headway on my summer reading list. In the Art and Science of low carb Preformance I just read the part about magnesium and cramps. I have woken up with cramps my leg. It passes quickly, but was a bit alarming at first.

Have any of you found the need for magnesium supplements?
Old 08-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #535
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mcchimento
Stats: 261.8/238.0/140.0
WOE: Atkins '72 mostly with a sprinkle of DANDR
Start Date: NOW!!! Restart date: 1/12/2014
I had leg cramps so bad that I went to the doctor. He did a blood test and of course it was normal; I started eating dill pickles and YES I take a magnesium supplements. I have not had a muscle cramp since then.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #536
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimtoslim View Post
Yes, I've always used magnesium while lowcarbing. I also get leg cramps that they help me with. Some people need salt, others potassium, but magnesium works for me the best.

My favorite form is magnesium malate, and I take one pill before bed. That works for me without being too harsh (I'm fairly sensitive its anti-constipation effects). Hopefully not TMI for you.

I think most forms are good, but avoid magnesium oxide. I understand it's only 2% absorbable.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #537
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimtoslim View Post

I take magnesium and potassium before bed every day. I use magnesium citrate and potassium citrate. I also drink broth with added salt every day. My leg cramps got really bad last year along with horrible sciatica pain which turned out to be a cyst in my lumbar spine (I had surgery in January). Ever since that happened I have to be really proactive about the cramping. I guess the nerve compression exacerbated the problem. But I have had leg cramps at night on and off since I was a kid. This combo seems to be doing the trick so far.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #538
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kilogirl78
Stats: 202/162/135
I am starting this approach but I am having problems getting a high ketosis number. I keep getting .7, .6. I did get one 1.6 so I am going to have to start tracking my ratios to see what I'm doing wrong.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #539
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilogirl78 View Post
I am starting this approach but I am having problems getting a high ketosis number. I keep getting .7, .6. I did get one 1.6 so I am going to have to start tracking my ratios to see what I'm doing wrong.
It is helpful to remember that it is not ratios that matter with NK. Your protein is a quantitative number and so are your carbs. In other words, find out how much protein grams you need and then use that number regardless of what ratio it is to the other macronutrients.

Same with carbs. Pick a number of grams that you are shooting for and stick with that number regardless of the ratio. Most of us are doing very low carb, like below 25g per day.

Your fat percentage will need to be high. 70-85%, depending on your activity level.

How many grams of everything are you currently eating?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #540
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the update Rebecca! It's awesome that you're naval measurement came down this week. Unfortunately I don't think we can expect to see scale movement every week even if we're doing everything right. That's especially true when you're so close to goal!
Closed Thread