Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #481
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Still doing good. My insomnia broke and I am so happy! I'm working a lot, on my feet all day some days.

I am finding that my hunger level is way down. By that, I mean that while I am never hungry anyway, I am being satisfied by less and less food. I used to feel deprived by only getting to eat a little bit of protein, and now it is seeming like enough.

Also, when I go to work, I eat before I leave, and a few hours later, I have a small fat snack of some kind (yesterday it was a half an avocado smushed up with some sour cream and spices) and I am not hungry for the whole day. And that's with working hard and hustling the whole time.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #482
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Good morning everyone!! It's back to work today after a wonderful 3 day weekend. Went to the beach yesterday with DH. My new avatar pic is from our relaxing day off.

Still happily at 154. I don't know whether I'll see any more loss this week, but I'm happy with my 1 pound.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #483
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post

Still doing good. My insomnia broke and I am so happy! I'm working a lot, on my feet all day some days.
Thanks for the update. I'm so glad to hear that your insomnia broke!!!

Quote:
I am finding that my hunger level is way down. By that, I mean that while I am never hungry anyway, I am being satisfied by less and less food. I used to feel deprived by only getting to eat a little bit of protein, and now it is seeming like enough.

Also, when I go to work, I eat before I leave, and a few hours later, I have a small fat snack of some kind (yesterday it was a half an avocado smushed up with some sour cream and spices) and I am not hungry for the whole day. And that's with working hard and hustling the whole time.
I have been experiencing the same thing. The food that I'm eating seems satisfying and I'm not usually hungry. At first it really seemed like too little food, but I guess I've gotten used to it. I do think that having easy access to one's fat stores through ketosis is helpful in this regard also.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #484
Senior LCF Member

Kristn, I love your new photo!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #485
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Kristn, I love your new photo!
Thanks Rebecca!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #486
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vita oldie
Stats: 160 want to be below 140
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
I have heard that you are not officially "paused" until you have had no period or spotting for one year. Within that time frame, it is common to have several months of nothing and then have another period or spotting. Even if it's been over a year, everyone is different, and anything can happen...

Have you ever heard of a "menopause baby"? That's when a woman thinks she is in menopause and no longer fertile, and then gets pregnant.
I always assumed they had made a mistake and weren't menopausal!
I think this may be the time frame we call peri-menopausal?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #487
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita oldie View Post
I always assumed they had made a mistake and weren't menopausal!
I think this may be the time frame we call peri-menopausal?
Peri is before you are actually in menopause, which is a year after the last period or spot.

If you have no spot or period for twelve months, then you are officially in menopause. But if you start again after that, it becomes obvious that you are different than most women, and were not actually in menopause yet, but had no way of knowing that you were not.

In other words, you can never know you are in menopause until you look back in time. So you were in menopause for the last year, but can only set the date of when you entered by looking back.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #488
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mcchimento
Stats: 261.8/232.0/150.0
WOE: Atkins with a Mediterranean/Paleo flair
Start Date: Everyday is a new day!
I had gone a whole year without a period or spot. The day my daughter went into labor; she was staying at my house; I had a period. It lasted the two days that she was on labor and it stopped the next day after the baby was born. (Really, really weird)

I have not had one in the last 8 weeks. Can't explain this one.

However, it is not affecting my weight loss though.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #489
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchimento View Post
I had gone a whole year without a period or spot. The day my daughter went into labor; she was staying at my house; I had a period. It lasted the two days that she was on labor and it stopped the next day after the baby was born. (Really, really weird)

I have not had one in the last 8 weeks. Can't explain this one.

However, it is not affecting my weight loss though.
I understand weight loss releases a lot of stored hormones back into your system. Good for you in the longterm, but lousy at the start of weight loss.

That's so funny about your DD! The hormones must have been contagious.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #490
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Daytona!
WOE: Ketogenic Paleo
I started a ketogenic diet after reading Jimmy Moore's blog post as well. After wading through 17 pages of this thread I thought I'd share my not-so-great success. If only to make anyone else who is not doing well on this diet feel better.

I discovered that even though I currently have a LBM of 132 lbs (I'm 5'8", the LBM was measured by my doctor) I can only eat up to 55g of protein before I'm knocked out of ketosis, which is only .4g per lb of LBM... I too find that it's easier mentally to eat that little protein in 2 meals instead of 3. So for lunch I often do a salad.

At first I lost a few lbs but that was all in the first 2 days, so I'm quite sure it was just water. It has been 1.5 months and I am still stalled (and have been for 1 year). I have tried increasing calories to 2,000 (my maintenance) and decreasing to 1,200 without any effect other than hunger. I haven't experienced the magical state of not being hungry, if I'm not eating at least 1,700 calories a day I am constantly thinking about food and starving.

The positive has been that my fasting blood sugar is dropped on this new diet. I used to be around 100 and now I'm about 85. So from that perspective it's worth sticking to, even if I never lose the extra 40 lbs (I've lost 53 so far).

Sorry for the long post... I am jealous of everyone's success with the diet, hopefully it will rub off on me if I lurk long enough.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #491
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona! View Post
I started a ketogenic diet after reading Jimmy Moore's blog post as well. After wading through 17 pages of this thread I thought I'd share my not-so-great success. If only to make anyone else who is not doing well on this diet feel better.

I discovered that even though I currently have a LBM of 132 lbs (I'm 5'8", the LBM was measured by my doctor) I can only eat up to 55g of protein before I'm knocked out of ketosis, which is only .4g per lb of LBM... I too find that it's easier mentally to eat that little protein in 2 meals instead of 3. So for lunch I often do a salad.

At first I lost a few lbs but that was all in the first 2 days, so I'm quite sure it was just water. It has been 1.5 months and I am still stalled (and have been for 1 year). I have tried increasing calories to 2,000 (my maintenance) and decreasing to 1,200 without any effect other than hunger. I haven't experienced the magical state of not being hungry, if I'm not eating at least 1,700 calories a day I am constantly thinking about food and starving.

The positive has been that my fasting blood sugar is dropped on this new diet. I used to be around 100 and now I'm about 85. So from that perspective it's worth sticking to, even if I never lose the extra 40 lbs (I've lost 53 so far).

Sorry for the long post... I am jealous of everyone's success with the diet, hopefully it will rub off on me if I lurk long enough.
Welcome Daytona! I'm sorry that you're not having success with this so far. How much are you eating currently? I know that it took me a few weeks to adjust to lower calories.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #492
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Hi Daytona!
I wonder how many grams of fat you eat/day?
Well, for that matter, how much fat/protein/carbs you eat per day?

Do you eat any coconut oil?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #493
Junior LCF Member

Lately I am eating 1,700 calories a day, 25g total carb, 55 protein and 160+ fat. So breakfast is often bacon, lunch is caesar salad, an afternoon snack of home made whipped cream, and then 2-3oz of buttered pot roast and cauliflower. I weigh and track all my food so I am as sure as one can be that I'm eating what I think I'm eating.

My ketogenic ratio is always above 2 and my fasting ketones range between 1-2. During the day they are always above 2 but I focus on fasting because that's the lowest value for me.

The other week I tried this "intermittent fasting" thing that has helped some friends of mine but had terrible results. It caused hormonal imbalances for me which took a few days to undo. I take progesterone and it's important to get the #'s just right otherwise my endometriosis flares up.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #494
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Do you eat any coconut oil?
Yes, I enjoy making coconut oil chocolates and when I make them will eat 2-3 tbsp a day. My tummy can't handle much more than that without ... protesting.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #495
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yes, I enjoy making coconut oil chocolates and when I make them will eat 2-3 tbsp a day. My tummy can't handle much more than that without ... protesting.
Me too!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #496
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
One more thing. The friends that we're spending the weekend with are the same friends that we're going to Hawaii with in 8 weeks! I would love to lose those last 5 pounds before we leave and then practice maintenance in Hawaii.
You look gorgeous in your new avatar photo, Kristn. Have a fabulous time in Hawaii!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #497
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:

Thanks for sharing your experience, Daytona. I'm sorry that this doesn't seem to be working well for you, beyond lowering your fasting blood sugar. I haven't started testing yet (though I have a meter and strips), and I don't know if this approach will work for me. If it doesn't, it will at least help me to know that I'm not totally alone in getting disappointing results. I hope you hang in there, also, since maybe stalls happen--and eventually break--in ketosis as well as out of it.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #498
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
My blood sugars are also doing great on this WOE although I struggled with a lot of episodes of hypoglycemia at first (I've had that since I was 5). Pretty much a sign that the excess protein was driving up my insulin in my previous diet.

I am also a fairly slow loser. I think those of us who have been stalled/struggling for years aren't going to have the gangbuster results of others. However I'm losing a pound a week, on average, so I am thankful and grateful. For me, calories seem to count. I do about 900-1100 during the week, and maintenance on the weekend (1800 for me). I also shoot for 40-50 grams protein (have 90 pounds LBM), and am doing 25-30 net carbs.

I also am not starving, but do suffer with some pangs and urges. Anyways, I sure hope you find the sweet spot and get some fat loss going!
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #499
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
For me, calories seem to count. I do about 900-1100 during the week, and maintenance on the weekend (1800 for me). I also shoot for 40-50 grams protein (have 90 pounds LBM), and am doing 25-30 net carbs.

I also am not starving, but do suffer with some pangs and urges. Anyways, I sure hope you find the sweet spot and get some fat loss going!
I would love it if calories didn't matter but they sure seem to... How are you able to cut your calories in half without going nuts? Any tricks or is it just willpower?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #500
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I would love it if calories didn't matter but they sure seem to... How are you able to cut your calories in half without going nuts? Any tricks or is it just willpower?
I'm doing what you do and just have lunch/supper. If I can't make it to lunch, I add cream/coconut oil to a drink (and same for post supper hunger). Anyways, I "shoot" for 900, but don't let myself feel a bit guilty going to 1100. That works for me. I think it also feels like so much more food than when I was doing rogue hcg rounds with 800 calories a day. That is, once I got used to the lowered protein. Also, knowing that my weekends are totally deprivation free helps me as well - I definitely need every psychological boost I can get. And I'm smaller than you, so the lowered calories are not going to feel as small for me as they would for you. I'm 5'2" AND petite framed with not much muscle.

I'm studying "Made to Crave" in my Bible study right now, which gives me some additional armor in this fight. I couldn't do this without my LCF friends and real life friends behind me...it is just too much without support, right? Have been there and failed many times.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #501
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
I'm doing what you do and just have lunch/supper. If I can't make it to lunch, I add cream/coconut oil to a drink (and same for post supper hunger). Anyways, I "shoot" for 900, but don't let myself feel a bit guilty going to 1100. That works for me. I think it also feels like so much more food than when I was doing rogue hcg rounds with 800 calories a day. That is, once I got used to the lowered protein. Also, knowing that my weekends are totally deprivation free helps me as well - I definitely need every psychological boost I can get. And I'm smaller than you, so the lowered calories are not going to feel as small for me as they would for you. I'm 5'2" AND petite framed with not much muscle.

I'm studying "Made to Crave" in my Bible study right now, which gives me some additional armor in this fight. I couldn't do this without my LCF friends and real life friends behind me...it is just too much without support, right? Have been there and failed many times.
I don't really have anyone other than my husband cheering me on in real life so I really lean on my internet friends. It's amazing how some of the most accepting, helpful people I know ... I've never really met!

Thanks for the encouragement. It's good to know that I'm not the only one in the "let's lose the same weight we lost last year" camp. Time to give calorie restriction another serious shot. My maintenance calories is theoretically 2,300 but since 1,700 isn't doing anything, maybe I need to camp out at 1,200-1,400 for a while and see if that works some magic.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #502
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
My maintenance calories is theoretically 2,300 but since 1,700 isn't doing anything, maybe I need to camp out at 1,200-1,400 for a while and see if that works some magic.
Many of us find that calories really do count.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #503
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
You look gorgeous in your new avatar photo, Kristn. Have a fabulous time in Hawaii!
Thank you so much. Yesterday was a truly happy day with DH and I think it shows in the photo.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #504
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Many of us find that calories really do count.
Sadly, I think this is true for me--at least the last 25 pounds. But even with calorie restriction I wasn't able to lose the weight without getting my Thyroid and Cortisol issues worked out.

I am so happy that being conscious of ketosis within a calorie range is working right now!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #505
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Lately I am eating 1,700 calories a day, 25g total carb, 55 protein and 160+ fat. So breakfast is often bacon, lunch is caesar salad, an afternoon snack of home made whipped cream, and then 2-3oz of buttered pot roast and cauliflower. I weigh and track all my food so I am as sure as one can be that I'm eating what I think I'm eating.

My ketogenic ratio is always above 2 and my fasting ketones range between 1-2. During the day they are always above 2 but I focus on fasting because that's the lowest value for me.

The other week I tried this "intermittent fasting" thing that has helped some friends of mine but had terrible results. It caused hormonal imbalances for me which took a few days to undo. I take progesterone and it's important to get the #'s just right otherwise my endometriosis flares up.
Intermittent fasting never worked well for me either (I've read that it might be unwise for women). Perhaps the hormone fluctuations halted any loss you may have had. As you know, with hormones it can take a while for things to even out. Hopefully you'll see some movement on the scale soon.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #506
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Intermittent fasting never worked well for me either (I've read that it might be unwise for women). Perhaps the hormone fluctuations halted any loss you may have had. As you know, with hormones it can take a while for things to even out. Hopefully you'll see some movement on the scale soon.
I hadn't thought about that but I think you are right that the hormones may have masked any weight loss. I'm feeling a lot better now about what I'm attempting (mom thinks I'm a wee bit crazy), and for no good reason am feeling confident that I'll see the scale go in the right direction if I keep at it. Sometimes I get impatient and try to tweak things before they have had a chance to work...

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #507
Senior LCF Member

Hi, Daytona!

When I first started NK, I lost a little bit to start and then stalled. I was eating almost the same as you are now, and my blood ketones were high and my blood sugar was normal. What started me losing was cutting my fat somewhat and leaving protein and carbs where they were.

When you say you are hungry on less than 1700 cals, were you keeping protein and carbs constant and just cutting fat, or were you cutting everything equally?

If I were you, I would be tempted to keep protein and carbs were they are and just try cutting back on fat just a little. Like maybe 20 g per day for a little while and see if it makes a difference. If you get used to that without hunger, but don't lose weight, trying easing back just a little more on fat.

Maybe your hunger problem happened because you tried to cut back too much too quickly and your body rebelled.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #508
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!! I am still holding steady at 154. I'm happy to have it stick!

Speaking of hormonal issues like menopause, I am having a strange TOM this month. It completely stopped last Friday and then picked up again over the weekend. It's not heavy, but I'm still bleeding 10 days after TOM started. I had this once before about a year ago and my doctor wasn't worried. I'm going to give it 14 days and if it's still happening I'll go see the doc.

Because of this strangeness I tested this morning: Ketones 1.3, Glucose 75. So still on track with ketosis. My eating has also been right on target this week so far.

How is everyone else doing??
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #509
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi, Daytona!

When I first started NK, I lost a little bit to start and then stalled. I was eating almost the same as you are now, and my blood ketones were high and my blood sugar was normal. What started me losing was cutting my fat somewhat and leaving protein and carbs where they were.

When you say you are hungry on less than 1700 cals, were you keeping protein and carbs constant and just cutting fat, or were you cutting everything equally?

If I were you, I would be tempted to keep protein and carbs were they are and just try cutting back on fat just a little. Like maybe 20 g per day for a little while and see if it makes a difference. If you get used to that without hunger, but don't lose weight, trying easing back just a little more on fat.

Maybe your hunger problem happened because you tried to cut back too much too quickly and your body rebelled.
I had tried cutting back just on fat (eliminating my snacks) but the hunger really got to me.

However after carefully charting the previous days' protein and carbs vs the next days ketones, I've come to the conclusion that I was cutting my protein lower than necessary. It had originally seemed like I had to stay around 55 g to stay in ketosis but after looking at my graph for the past 1.5 months I think I can actually do the recommended amount of 80g (0.6 g / lb LBM).

So I'm trying that out and fingers crossed that a) I stay in ketosis and b) this time I can lower my fat without going bonkers.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #510
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I had tried cutting back just on fat (eliminating my snacks) but the hunger really got to me.

However after carefully charting the previous days' protein and carbs vs the next days ketones, I've come to the conclusion that I was cutting my protein lower than necessary. It had originally seemed like I had to stay around 55 g to stay in ketosis but after looking at my graph for the past 1.5 months I think I can actually do the recommended amount of 80g (0.6 g / lb LBM).

So I'm trying that out and fingers crossed that a) I stay in ketosis and b) this time I can lower my fat without going bonkers.
I'll be interested to see what you find out.
Closed Thread