Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #451
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Interesting. But you changed doctors, were you not happy with the first one?
I was not getting results with the first one (who I found in a Suzanne Somers book), so I switched to the new one, who is also so Suzanne Somer's advocate. But after all the testing she did, she told me that the first doc was not doing anything wrong, and she did not change my treatment. I decided to stay with her because she was closer and less expensive. The first doc could only be reached by driving through horrible traffic (both ways) into downtown Chicago.

When I go back, I will go back to the new one again. She, by the way, is the one that convinced me to try homeopathic hCG, which I did, lost a bunch of weight, gained it all back again, and developed gall stones. So I think she is off base on that one!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #452
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Carli
Start Date: March 7 2011
Metformin

I posted this in the lobby too..but does anyone here take Metformin? Im taking it for PCOS and trying to determine why some days my stomach is fine, others I spend most of the day in the bathroom

Today I started off with two eggs fried in butter and 4 strips of bacon. So a decent ammt of fat. I took 1000mg of metformin extended release then, and my stomach was ok.

6 hours later I had a serving of coconut butter..and within 15 minutes my stomach was churning.

Is it the fat in the coconut butter? (but I had lots of fat with breakfast) maybe it takes several hours for the metformin to enter your system? Im just wondering how metformin is going to work with HF/MP/LC eating!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #453
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Hi [B]Carli[B] - I don't usually post in this thread, but I do read along. I follow Dr. Bernstein and he really doesn't talk about ketosis much but I would imagine most of the time I am in ketosis. Since I've been stalled for a year, I am also trying to do HF/MP/LC. Most days fat is about 70% - 80% of my diet.

I've been on metformix extended release for many years and think the initial adjustment might take longer than a week. However, since the distress started 15 minutes after the coconut butter I'm betting it was the coconut that caused the problem. I use coconut oil made into candy and sometimes fry with it or put a little in my homemade mayo with no trouble. Fat in cream cheese, HWC, etc. don't cause me any problems.

Maybe try a smaller amount of the coconut butter for a little while and then gradually increase.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #454
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Marking this thread to make it easier to find in the coming days. I find this a very interesting subject and want to read every post here from the first one onward. Wishing you all great good luck!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #455
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Marking this thread to make it easier to find in the coming days. I find this a very interesting subject and want to read every post here from the first one onward. Wishing you all great good luck!
Thanks, Pat!

Dumb question: Your WOE is JUDDD? What does that stand for?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #456
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
I am going to buy Volek/Phinney's book tomorrow and want to join the thread. I am interested in losing some vanity pounds. I hope this higher fat approach works. Never done it and I am interested. I want to drop 10lbs.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #457
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
I am going to buy Volek/Phinney's book tomorrow and want to join the thread. I am interested in losing some vanity pounds. I hope this higher fat approach works. Never done it and I am interested. I want to drop 10lbs.
I think nearly everything relevant from the Volek/Phinney "Performance" book has been posted by me or Kristn on this thread. You won't get much more useful information buying the book. Just FYI, obviously it's your decision.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #458
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Thanks, Pat!

Dumb question: Your WOE is JUDDD? What does that stand for?
Hi Rebecca - I'm not Pat but I know JUDDD stands for Dr. Johnson's Up Day Down Day diet - also called Alternate Day Diet. Basically it is a calorie cycling plan of low calorie/high calorie days. Some of the JUDDD folks also combine LC into the plan and others just do the calories

Here is a link (hope it works) JUDDD - Low Carb Friends
Old 08-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #459
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
afuentes, I think the Phinney/Volek book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" is jammed packed with great info. I can't comment on the performance book as I haven't read it.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #460
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Welcome afuentes!!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #461
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone! I got on the scale this morning after a week's hiatus for TOM and I didn't lose or gain. Still 155. Hopefully now that TOM has left I'll see some movement this coming week.

The good news is I passed Rebecca's "mirror test." this morning. Got in front of the mirror and I actually felt good about how I looked. I haven't been tracking inches closely, but I have years of old measurements so I may measure tomorrow.

How is everyone else doing? Looking forward to the weekend?

We are heading over to some friends' house tomorrow for a few days so meals will be less structured. We plan on bringing food with us to share so I will focus on high-fat. They are usually LC, but higher protein. I won't have to worry about carbs, but will be cautious in the protein department and generally not eating (and drinking) too much. It's going to be warm here so there will be bathing suit wearing. It feels great to not be worried about putting on a bathing suit. I may even break out a two-piece suit!
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #462
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: loop4yah
Hi everyone!!=)

Hope you have a great time Kristn!!

So I bought and read Phinney/Volek book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" but hopefully someone can help me out b/c i'm a little confused! =/

I understand that the authors were promoting how effective nutritional ketosis can be for endurance type of sport training but how about for "high intensity interval" training... Like sprints and such things....

I did come across a small section that mentioned high intensity training but my interpretation was that low carb may not be the best route for high intensity training?!

Any feedback or personal views and experiences with this type of training would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 08-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #463
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vita oldie
Stats: 160 want to be below 140
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2012
This is all news to me as I thought once menopausal that was it FOR EVER,
This is info that ought o be known, by all, as at time in one's life it could cause a "surprise" !
Old 08-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #464
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I think nearly everything relevant from the Volek/Phinney "Performance" book has been posted by me or Kristn on this thread. You won't get much more useful information buying the book. Just FYI, obviously it's your decision.

I bought the Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living not Performance but thanks!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #465
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Welcome afuentes!!
Thank you!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #466
Blabbermouth!!!

I am not weighing myself until I am done with my TOM so next week. I am always heavier and I can't psychologically take it. LOL.

Today's menu so far: (note - I haven't read the book yet)
I woke up and had iced coffee with cinnamon/toasted almond sugar free Da Vinci syrup for flavor and 3 tbsp of heavy cream - 9:30am

2:30am - I had a big salad: 2 cups of romaine lettuce, pepperocinis, olives, tomato, bacon, chopped egg, ranch dressing tossed in and a 3oz. pork chop on the side.

Then.....macadamia nuts (2oz), a tbsp of almond butter, 1oz. of cream cheese, cinnamon, and splenda all mixed together for something fattening and sweet.

It is 6:40pm and not hungry but if I get hungry, I have some nitrate free andouille sausage that has my eye.

I love weight lifting (fountain of youth) and enjoy a low carb lifestyle.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #467
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tatsnook
Stats: 131.4/131.4/119
WOE: Atkins, Paleo
Start Date: 11/01/12
Quote:
Congratulations on the loss!

Have a great trip. Have you been there before? What an adventure!

Thank you! Originally I am from Russia; so, I go to visit my relatives every other year. My laggage with coconut oil got lost:-( Hopefully, it will arrive tomorrow:-)

I have not been in Turkey yet. we are going to all (food and alcohol) inclusive resort (that's bad!!!) there. I have heard there are a lot of great desserts there too! My goal for this trip will be just keep my weight! I don't think it would be realistic at this sitution to try to lose any weight.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #468
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
I am not weighing myself until I am done with my TOM so next week. I am always heavier and I can't psychologically take it. LOL.
I do the same thing! I am back on the scale after a week off and holding steady.

Quote:
Today's menu so far: (note - I haven't read the book yet)
I woke up and had iced coffee with cinnamon/toasted almond sugar free Da Vinci syrup for flavor and 3 tbsp of heavy cream - 9:30am

2:30am - I had a big salad: 2 cups of romaine lettuce, pepperocinis, olives, tomato, bacon, chopped egg, ranch dressing tossed in and a 3oz. pork chop on the side.

Then.....macadamia nuts (2oz), a tbsp of almond butter, 1oz. of cream cheese, cinnamon, and splenda all mixed together for something fattening and sweet.

It is 6:40pm and not hungry but if I get hungry, I have some nitrate free andouille sausage that has my eye.
Do you enter your food in any sort of tracking system? On this thread we've found it helpful to track grams of macronutrients. Do you have a protein and carb goal for each day? With your workouts you probably have a higher protein requirement than some of us.

Once you have your correct protein and carb amounts (ones that keep you in nutritional ketosis without losing muscle) they shouldn't change. You can then adjust the fat amount for weight-loss or maintenance.

Have you thought about ordering a meter? There is a free one that you can get (Nova Max Plus). I can't post a commercial link, but you can google "Free Nova Max Plus Glucose and Ketone Meter." It comes with two ketone strips and when you register the meter they send you two more free strips. It can be helpful to guide you on your protein/carb amounts to make sure that you're in nutritional ketosis.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #469
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsnook View Post
Thank you! Originally I am from Russia; so, I go to visit my relatives every other year. My laggage with coconut oil got lost:-( Hopefully, it will arrive tomorrow:-)

I have not been in Turkey yet. we are going to all (food and alcohol) inclusive resort (that's bad!!!) there. I have heard there are a lot of great desserts there too! My goal for this trip will be just keep my weight! I don't think it would be realistic at this sitution to try to lose any weight.
How nice that you get to visit home every other year. I have never been to that part of the world, but have always wanted to go. My mother's side of the family is Ukranian and my I've always wanted to tour Eastern Europe. Perhaps once my sons are out of college.

I'm sorry to hear about your lost luggage. Hopefully the coconut oil will survive.

I would have a hard time with the all inclusive resort, but how lucky that you get to go! Just have a fabulous time and make the best possible choices.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #470
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all! Nothing has changed so nothing to report.

I'm getting my hair done this morning and then it's off to our friends' house for the rest of the weekend (taking Monday off).

I'm planning to stick to plan as much as possible and also have a fabulously relaxing time.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 08-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #471
Major LCF Poster!

One more thing. The friends that we're spending the weekend with are the same friends that we're going to Hawaii with in 8 weeks! I would love to lose those last 5 pounds before we leave and then practice maintenance in Hawaii.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #472
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hippyatheart
Stats: 187/176/137
WOE: Induction
Start Date: June 8, 2012
Grumble grumble....

I think I am the only person on the face of this planet that can work out with a personal trainer three times a week, eat 1200-1400 calories each day, not go over 20 carbs each day, not touch bread pasta or sugar for two months, and NOT lose weight. At least it feels like it anyways. Trying not to be discouraged by the numbers on the scale is tough. I am feeling stronger and more empowered each day though!

</grumble>
Old 08-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #473
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyatheart View Post
Grumble grumble....

I think I am the only person on the face of this planet that can work out with a personal trainer three times a week, eat 1200-1400 calories each day, not go over 20 carbs each day, not touch bread pasta or sugar for two months, and NOT lose weight. At least it feels like it anyways. Trying not to be discouraged by the numbers on the scale is tough. I am feeling stronger and more empowered each day though!

</grumble>
No, you're not alone.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #474
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone! We got back from our friends' house last night. Had a great weekend and I stuck to plan. I probably did eat a bit more than normal, (I didn't weight or measure) but not much. This morning I got on the scale and I am down one pound! Only 4 more to get to goal!

Today I'm back to my normal eating routine. DH and I have the day off so will probably go out and do something fun. Tonight is kettlebell class.

Over the weekend my friend commented on how my muscles were really popping in my shoulders and back. She attributed it to my kettlebell work, but I think it's a combo of the exercise and weight loss. The muscles are finally showing with less fat sitting on top of them. I also wore a two-piece bathing suit and felt totally comfortable which never happens.

How is everyone else doing? Any more testing?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #475
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Grumble grumble....

</grumble>
I am so sorry that the scale is not moving for you (although I think I remember that it's moved a little bit). It is terribly discouraging not to get the results that you're hoping for. Have you had a chance to get back on that scale at your gym that weighs fat and muscle? Also, have you been measuring? I'm terrible at this but when the scale isn't moving and you're building muscle you may be replacing the pounds of fat with pounds of muscle and since pound for pound muscle takes up less space you may be shrinking in size without shrinking in weight.

What kind of workout is your trainer doing with you? Maybe a change to your routine would get things moving? I know that when I do heavy lifting the scale does not move for me. And I love doing it! Once I hit goal I may start up again, but I avoid it during weight-loss mode.

Also, are you only working out the three days a week with the trainer, or are you doing more? Before my wedding 4 years ago I really under ate and over trained and it stopped my losses dead in their tracks. Over training can increase cortisol and that can stall weight-loss. Now I do low level movement all the time, but only workout hard 2-3 times per week.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #476
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The good news is I passed Rebecca's "mirror test." this morning. Got in front of the mirror and I actually felt good about how I looked.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #477
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita oldie View Post
This is all news to me as I thought once menopausal that was it FOR EVER,
This is info that ought o be known, by all, as at time in one's life it could cause a "surprise" !
I have heard that you are not officially "paused" until you have had no period or spotting for one year. Within that time frame, it is common to have several months of nothing and then have another period or spotting. Even if it's been over a year, everyone is different, and anything can happen...

Have you ever heard of a "menopause baby"? That's when a woman thinks she is in menopause and no longer fertile, and then gets pregnant.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #478
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Have you thought about ordering a meter? There is a free one that you can get (Nova Max Plus). I can't post a commercial link, but you can google "Free Nova Max Plus Glucose and Ketone Meter." It comes with two ketone strips and when you register the meter they send you two more free strips. It can be helpful to guide you on your protein/carb amounts to make sure that you're in nutritional ketosis.
On FB, there is a thread where a bunch of people have purchased the Nova Max meter, and they are all having trouble with it - the calibration fluid does not work and needs to be replaced, the strips keep showing an error message and have to be thrown away (wasted) and other stuff.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #479
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Grumble grumble....

</grumble>
Is it possible that you are overtraining?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #480
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
On FB, there is a thread where a bunch of people have purchased the Nova Max meter, and they are all having trouble with it - the calibration fluid does not work and needs to be replaced, the strips keep showing an error message and have to be thrown away (wasted) and other stuff.
Hmmm...I've never had a problem with mine. It's worth a try if you don't have the $$ for the other meter.
Closed Thread