Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Gained 5 pounds in 10 days after starting the gym

Should I be worried I'm gaining fat again?

I waited until reaching my goal before joining the gym, and now so shortly after reaching that point I'm gaining.

Although I'm mostly just lifting weights there is just no way I'm gaining muscle this fast.

I am eating slightly more the days I workout. The carbs are still about the same (under 30), the fat the same and eating a little more of proteins.

Could it be a temporary adjustment, perhaps some of it water weight?

I'm kinda freaking out about this

I thought the line between fat loss stopping and fat gain would not be so thin.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 07-26-2014 at 11:04 AM..
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
lol... No. don't worry about gaining fat unless you are eating horribly - and I know you are not. It is water retention.

I suggest taking measurements and tracking them. The scale becomes even more useless when one works out.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
It's just water retention from the new workout.

But, be careful about eating more when you work out - a lot of people get no results because they think they need to eat more since they are working out when really we burn so few calories during workouts that there is no need for extra food unless you're exercising for hours a day.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I'm thinking about having my fat percentage measured at the gym and then going again in few months. It might help me relax.

I just had a little shock because I don't weigh myself daily anymore and I see this noticeable difference after these changes.

I still fit better in my clothes than when I was last time this weight about a month ago so I'm trying to seek comfort in that.

Does the body want to hold on to water more when you work out regularly? I go about 4x a week.

Nolcjunk: It's really just 2 meals + a small protein shake after workouts instead of just 2 meals. So it's a small difference and I get most of the extra energy from proteins. I doubt it's more than what I'm spending at the gym.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 07-26-2014 at 11:17 AM..
Old 07-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
You retain water when the torn muscle fibers are being repaired.

That's good. One of my friends likes to justify whole pizzas and 20 ounce steaks by saying "I worked out". I eat the same whether I workout or not, it just affects when I have my meals.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I used to reward myself with beer . . . you can imagine how well that worked.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I just read an article about the muscle soreness (which I've felt quite well) and that it's normal to gain 4-5 pounds which then decreases after the first 2 weeks.

So I guess I'm a typical example.

Stopped freaking out

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 07-26-2014 at 11:26 AM..
Old 07-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Glad you stopped freaking out! lol...

It can be a surprise when the scale does that kind of thing & it is always reassuring to realize it is normal.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Congrats on getting back to the gym! I love working out!

It is most likely water retention as others said, and as you gain muscle/body composition improves you may gain weight but lose inches. I have had this happen a lot recently.

A pound of fat takes up much more space than a pound of muscle!

EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Yup it is.

I kinda want to throw away the scale but I just bought a new one just couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking of maybe giving it a vacation in the storage room and just focus on keeping the diet and gym on track. Like you said it's even more useless now that I'm at the gym... and I'm trying to add muscle weight.

Thanx Erica they actually had this same setup at my old gym. Thanx for the reminder.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You mention working out 4x a week. I hope you're not working the same muscles on consecutive days. All the exercise physiologists I know warn to give muscles 24hrs to 'repair' when they're stressed from workouts.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Upper body - Lower body - Upper Body - Lower body...

So there are at least 48 hours between the same muscles being worked again.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pepperanne
I freak out about weight gain every time I go back to lifting, even though I know better.

If your eating is consistently clean, retire the scale and rely on measurements only. Definitely get a bodyfat % scan done, if you can. I got a DEXA scan done and got to see how much fat I have in each thigh. Horrifyingly helpful.

If this is the first time you're lifting, you will gain muscle at a faster rate than someone who has been working out for a longer period of time.

If you haven't heard of it already, the book "The New Rules of Lifting" is always highly recommended. I have the version for women and it's very good.
pepperanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipshemom
Stats: 131/110 (5'0)
WOE: VLC/Maintenance
Start Date: Jan., 2011
I started working out again on our little home gym about 3 wks ago. I have never lost weight working out over the years, even w/ cardio. Even before LC. I always quit when I don't see much difference & my old injuries flare up. Since I have been maintaining my loss for 3 yrs now, I thought I should try to tone up now that the fat is gone. I have been a bit discouraged again because my weight is up a little even though I haven't changed my eating much. I do notice my clothes are a little bit looser though, so I'll try to stick w/ it. Honestly, I can maintain my weight easier without lifting any weights, but I have to remind myself that I'm doing it for my health (bones, arthritis, etc), not for weight loss.
shipshemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

It's so easy for me to tell others here that the weight is irrelevant but then the scale can still freak me out at times.

I guess because a part of the success has been to see the weight go down so it feels weird it has stopped, and for a moment went a little back up. I should know better but it still gets me somehow.

I have lifted before but just for few months many years ago. I have pretty much a minimum muscle size for someone my built so yes I can imagine being able to gain relatively quickly to begin with. I'm gonna try to be realistic about the whole thing though and not have any specific expectations.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 07-26-2014 at 11:29 PM..
Old 07-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBigKahuna
Stats: 290/233/220
WOE: reduced carb
Start Date: January 2014
I haven't lifted weights in about 7 years, and recently started lifting again. My weight hasn't been dropping, but I'm trying to be patient and let the way my clothes fit, be my "scale".
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I find when my body is fit that I don't have to worry about maintaining my weight as much. I am small. My hard body 108 right now is much for forgiving of my overindulgent weekend than my flabby body at 102 a couple years ago. I am still wearing the same size. I find that it is MUCH easier to lose and maintain weight with exercise.

I did go up in weight a little at first too (like a few pounds) when I starting weight training. Though I also had gained about five pounds because I had been high fat low carb (which was good-I had lost more weight than I liked).

I found that I needed to add carbs when weight trained (not A LOT of carbs just more than VLC---over 50 but under 80) or I would retain water. I would bloat and feel really sore. I had been on HFLC for about 6 months but had to eat more than 50 when weight training or I would stay sore for days or really retain water.

Everyone
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Isn't it difficult energy wise? I mean it's high enough to get you out of ketosis but at the same time you don't have enough carbs to have it as your main energy source.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:08 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geiri View Post
Isn't it difficult energy wise? I mean it's high enough to get you out of ketosis but at the same time you don't have enough carbs to have it as your main energy source.
If you are talking to me, I guess I should be clear--I do NOT lift weights like a body builder. Though I suppose there are some principles of weightlifting that I follow. As far as energy is concerned. I am very small. My energy levels differ AND I time my carbs and eat them after my work-out. I do not follow a specific plan for weight loss anymore. I am not trying to lose and build at the same time. When I don't hhave enough energy, I eat. Sometimes more carbs and sometimes more protein depending on the day. if I am doing a harder cardio workout (CARBS). I am pretty sure I move back into ketosis easily.

I think that is the difference. I already lost the weight I needed to lose. I was 102 pd when I started HFLC then gained about 4. THen I started working out with weights. When I say I am hard bodied, I am not speaking fitness model but definately firm without jiggle anymore!

Last edited by Spanilingo; 07-30-2014 at 05:09 AM..
Old 07-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Yeah I'm thinking of heavy lifting.

I think it would be more difficult if I wasn't in ketosis. If I went above the 50 grams threshold I think my body would just call out for even more carbs for the workouts. Just my feeling though I haven't really done low-moderate carb levels (all or nothing type of guy).
Old 08-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bobbyt
If you are eating clean, you shouldn't worry. You're body may be gaining more muscle, increasing your weight. Even if you are eating more on your workout days, but again, still eating clean, then you are just giving your body the nutrients that it needs. Measure yourself and even take pictures to track your progress. You can weight yourself every now and then just to see, but don't rely on it.
bobbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Was thinking of you when listening to a podcast about carb cycling for bodybuilders who eat primarily ketogenic ally . Something to the effect of eating high starch low fat days once per week ??
Old 08-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I do have a weekly high carb evening but I haven't thought of it as a beneficial type of thing I just do it as a reward and to make the low-carb lifestyle for for me in the long run. If it helps me at the gym then that's a good bonus but at this time I'm not sure there is enough science behind the claims.

The 5 pounds are still there but I'm still gonna stay calm. Maybe I'm adding muscle now replacing the water weight. My waist is about the same it was a month ago.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 08-15-2014 at 11:52 AM..
Old 08-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 40 pounds down, 108 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
I have to ask OT did you serve in the IDF?

about weight good luck
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/12W/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I used to reward myself with beer . . . you can imagine how well that worked.
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
I have to ask OT did you serve in the IDF?
no

(I can't believe my other post was considered to be political, ohhh well)
Old 08-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LinCO
Stats: 168/154.6/152--5'9"
WOE: Back to SB!!
Start Date: Aug 2014
(It's the flag-I was wondering the same thing.)

Mr. Geiri, I have had this same weight gain so many times! I love lifting weights and greatly prefer having strength going about my business. But then I'll get busy, whatever, and when I get back to hitting the weights, I gain. The most frustrating thing about it is my mind needs almost nothing to start running itself in circles, playing mind games on me. I *know* I'd rather hit my body fat target than any weight target. I spent years only using a tape measure, never stepping on a scale.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
I also gain a couple of pounds every time that I lift weights. If you're lifting 4X per week you may never shed the water you retain while your body is repairing and building muscle tissue. By never, I mean because your body will be in a constant state of repair until you take a few days off. It will go away at that time.

Don't be surprised if you do, however, gain quite a few pounds of muscle in the first 3 months or so. A professional athlete or bodybuilder cannot put on muscle weight nearly as fast as someone who is new to lifting. After a certain point, though, your gains will halt and become much more difficult. Your muscles, however, might not appear bigger, as the intramuscular fat gets used and is replaced by muscle fiber -- it kind of evens out.

Just some thoughts.
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetstuff68
Stats: 245/148/145
Try to step out of the habit of scale reading. I know it's hard. You tear up your muscle when you work out and you retain water while the muscle rebuilds. Just drink a lot of water and it will come off. Take body measurements. (waist, thigh, chest and so forth)
sweetstuff68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

I ordered a digital caliper (to measure fat percentage) so I'm gonna focus on that from now on.