Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Muscle Matters! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/muscle-matters/)
-   -   I miss cardio (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/muscle-matters/824797-i-miss-cardio.html)

Peace 03-03-2014 09:12 PM

I miss cardio

I think the fact that I cut back on cardio to 3 times a week, but increased my weights is making me utterly miserable. Even the cardio that I do is not that intense.

I am psychologically not programmed to not do cardio, and I am scared of all the reading that say you are not suppose to eat low carb and do cardio.

Is this so accurate? I want to train for a marathon and now I am holding back because of all this information. It is making me not "ok". And.. I think I gained weight from not doing enough cardio but using weights too much.

Any thoughts. I need to lose weight. My stomach is gross every since I cut back on cardio.

Ntombi 03-04-2014 01:49 AM

I don't know of any reading that says not to do cardio while eating low carb and in weight loss mode. I know of plenty of studies that say it doesn't benefit weight loss efforts (of course there are other health benefits).

What kind of weight do you think you're gaining since you started weight training? Water weight isn't unusual, especially as your muscles are repairing. If you think you're gaining fat, what makes you think so?

If you're training for a marathon, train as you need to!

Peace 03-04-2014 07:43 PM

Ntombi=thanks for the inspiration. I went and ran3 miles this am and felt much better. I am going to keep it up as long as I feel good!

gabla13 03-05-2014 12:21 PM

I haven't read anywhere that doing cardio while on low carb is harmful. In fact I know cardio to be one of the only things that burns belly fat, if that is your aim. Strictly running however without doing interval training can in fact slow your metabolism. The most effective way to do cardio would be to do intervals, with several minutes of intense running/biking/elliptical followed by several minutes of a walk or jog pace. That has worked very well for me.

Keep running though!!

Peace 03-05-2014 08:41 PM

Gabla
Thanks:) It is funny because unintentionally, I have been doing sprints and then taking fast walks.. kept thinking I was "failing" because I thought I needed to keep running without break...I do want to run a marathon someday. I guess I just need to focus on staying healthy and taking it slow.

I am not quitting. Perseverance! I think you are right about the belly. I see mine go down when I do this interval training.

off to bed, so I can get up and run.. woohoo

gabla13 03-06-2014 08:52 AM

The harder you push yourself the more your endurance will increase, but take that slow as well. if you use a treadmill try increasing the incline once a week until that seems easy for you, or run a few paces faster than you normally would. if you create a plan and increase the difficulty of your run whether it be by incline, length or speed you will see a BIG difference in your stamina and then by the time of your marathon you will be better prepared!!

Peace 03-06-2014 10:03 PM

G- thanks! I have to take it easy.. My Achilles tenditia will flare up if I push it. Today I did 2.5 miles but I also did a heavy weight class before my run.

So this week: tues wed 3.25 each day, th- 2.5 fri- off... So tired. Sat - 4. Sun-5... What do you think?

Gosh it feels so nice to embrace this. Ty! I will get a book to help me stay focused. My biggest issue is injury. I have orthotics and a boot that I wear at night. Lol.. Real sexy!

gabla13 03-07-2014 07:07 AM

you definitely need a day or two to let your muscles rest, I am a firm believer in working out 5 days a week. I give myself the weekend off just because that's what fits my schedule but any 2 days a week would work as long as you give your muscles time to repair. your running schedule looks good! but I would suggest doing probably 3 days a week straight running and then the other 2 some type of interval training, just to help with the monotony. also what I said before about straight running slowing your metabolism, the intervals will confuse your muscles.

and remember to increase your distance and difficulty whenever you feel comfortable or when your runs get a bit too easy. don't push yourself too hard though, especially with an existing injury!!

Peace 03-10-2014 03:39 PM

Hey Gabla

Thanks for your help on the running. So, how do you feel about marathons? I want to train to run a half by June and then a full in November.... but I keep stopping to walk and not running straight 4 miles yet.

THoughts?

gabla13 03-11-2014 11:51 AM

marathons are very hard on your body so its good you are only planning on running one full one this year. you'll definitely have to work on running longer without stopping just for the sake of keeping a steady pace.

I find training to run a marathon outside in the beginning (before your endurance is increased) to be a bit more difficult because its harder to keep a steady pace outdoors. so I would recommend training on the treadmill first. try to find a good pace for yourself, something that doesn't get you too winded too early on. I usually run at about a 5.0 or a 5.5 when Im doing a 20+ minute run. there are plenty of websites online that offer good training programs for preparing for marathons. you should also look into some good core workouts as well :)

Peace 03-11-2014 02:14 PM

Hi

Yep, I am working indoors right now and I am around 5.5. Thanks! I am trying to keep moving forward and not feel guilty for having a bit more carbs as I run. I feel like I am craving them more? Weird. Carbs. I mean, a few carrots and low starch veggies. I never eat grains or other high carb foods. In fact, carrots are a treat for me.

I am doing more core workouts as well. I like keetllebells and I do body pump ( les mills) about 3 times a week, but not heavy weights anymore..

OFf to CA and then Vegas.. for my vacation. Finally:)

Thanks again.

Just out of curiousity, do you limit yourself to under 20 carbs? I am around 30-40 right now.

gabla13 03-12-2014 05:44 AM

I am pretty strict when it comes to my carb intake. I don't keep track everyday but most days I think I average at just about 15 to 18 grams. most of the time I have to deliberately make myself eat more veggies just because my appetite is so low. I do a lot of cardio but ive gotten used to that level of activity in regards to how many carbs I eat. if im ever feeling low energy before a run I try to eat a little bit of peanut butter or something along those lines.

don't be discouraged if you find the scale to go up a bit as you get further along in your training. consistent running tends to slow the metabolism down (I think I mentioned that before :hiya:) but you'll definitely be much healthier and in much better shape

Peace 03-17-2014 09:59 PM

Hi! THanks for the reply. I am on vacation --ugh! Rough. I am trying to stay focused and keep running, but it is hard when I am not near my gym. Interesting about your carbs... I am not trying to pry, but are you at your ideal weight/height? I am not that big, so I think that I was overeating on carbs.. in fact, I know I was! I think cardio was making me think that I can afford to eat more carbs, but that is not true.

Today-- I kept it under 20 and felt so much better but I did not run. I walked 3 miles though.

Health is number one! however, I think that having this belly weight is not healthy. I cant wait to get back home and do my weight classes again as well as my cardio classes.

Need to stay focused on this plan... thanks for all your encouragement. I believe I can do it!!! Carbs need to be under 20 for me to lose. end of story. :)

gabla13 03-18-2014 05:56 AM

I am not at my ideal weight yet! I still have about 15 more id like to lose. I was at my ideal weight and then went on vacation and fell off the wagon!

the belly fat you're talking about losing is almost completely dependent on the foods that you eat. just keep cutting carbs and doing your cardio and you will get there!

enjoy your vacation!

Peace 03-18-2014 08:43 AM

Thank you! I just saw your numbers... You will get there too!

Let's stay positive together:)

NewestAtkinsFan 03-22-2014 03:03 PM

Weeks that I've had the best losses were weeks that I incorporated cardio (15-20mins of jumping rope 2 or 3x a week). Now that the weather where I am is becoming more tolerable, I plan to incorporate all the jump roping I can to boost my losses. This is just what has worked for me, and more to the point, it is the regimen I'm comfortable keeping up with and doing. I say if it is giving you results, and it is not giving you physical injury or pain, do it.

Keep doing what you're doing, Peace. You will soon reach your goal.

Peace 03-22-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan (Post 16846726)
Weeks that I've had the best losses were weeks that I incorporated cardio (15-20mins of jumping rope 2 or 3x a week). Now that the weather where I am is becoming more tolerable, I plan to incorporate all the jump roping I can to boost my losses. This is just what has worked for me, and more to the point, it is the regimen I'm comfortable keeping up with and doing. I say if it is giving you results, and it is not giving you physical injury or pain, do it.

Keep doing what you're doing, Peace. You will soon reach your goal.

Wow-- jumping rope sounds like fun, so good for you. I tend to need something else.. as mentioned above. Thanks! I am going to keep doing whatever it takes to make me feel good. Last time I checked, I dont think exercise can be a BAD thing. So, I will go with the flow.

Thanks.

NewestAtkinsFan 03-23-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peace (Post 16847048)
Wow-- jumping rope sounds like fun, so good for you. I tend to need something else.. as mentioned above. Thanks! I am going to keep doing whatever it takes to make me feel good. Last time I checked, I dont think exercise can be a BAD thing. So, I will go with the flow.

Thanks.

You are very welcome! Here's wishing you much success. :high5:

Peace 03-23-2014 01:57 PM

Hey Newest

I was in the gym today and we did jump rope for some my class... thought of you!

Have a great day.

Peace

NewestAtkinsFan 03-23-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peace (Post 16847718)
Hey Newest

I was in the gym today and we did jump rope for some my class... thought of you!

Have a great day.

Peace

Cool. How long did you jump rope? What was your jump rope routine today? I'd love to know so I can adapt it to my own workouts.

Peace 03-23-2014 04:12 PM

We did kickboxing and the instructor added 15 minutes of jumping rope!

Do you go to a gym?

NewestAtkinsFan 03-23-2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peace (Post 16847879)
We did kickboxing and the instructor added 15 minutes of jumping rope!

Do you go to a gym?

No, the outdoors is my gym. I get up early before I have to go into work and I just jump (nothing fancy, just the basic 2-footed jump). I do this for 10-20 minutes at a time. Usually I just do a Tabata workout (10 rounds of 40 seconds of jumping with 20 seconds of rest) or jump for 100 and rest, jump for 90 and rest, jump for 80 and rest, etc.

But i'm always looking for ways to 'spice' up the workout.

Oh, and my jump rope is literally just a rope; that's right... doing it old-school style. :) Jumping rope helped contribute to me losing over 50lbs so far my first year of Low Carbing, here's hoping it will help me lose even more this year!

Peace 03-25-2014 08:07 PM

That sounds excellent to me. I think you are on a good path to long term health.

Going to bed so I can get up and try running tomorrow. I feel BLAH lately:( I think I need more cardio.

NewestAtkinsFan 03-26-2014 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peace (Post 16850914)
That sounds excellent to me. I think you are on a good path to long term health.

Going to bed so I can get up and try running tomorrow. I feel BLAH lately:( I think I need more cardio.

I hear ya. I miss the "high" a good cardio workout gives me. I could use a few good doses of cardio rejuvenation right now.

afuentes 04-06-2014 05:54 PM

If you are training for a marathon then you must do cardio. If I was still training for my physique competitions, I wouldn't not lift weights :dunno: Cardio is fine - I do cardio and weight train but I am an endomorph (builds muscle and fat easily) so I need too. Just don't overdo anything - balance, knowing what you're goals are, and knowing your body is key.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peace (Post 16822973)
I think the fact that I cut back on cardio to 3 times a week, but increased my weights is making me utterly miserable. Even the cardio that I do is not that intense.

I am psychologically not programmed to not do cardio, and I am scared of all the reading that say you are not suppose to eat low carb and do cardio.

Is this so accurate? I want to train for a marathon and now I am holding back because of all this information. It is making me not "ok". And.. I think I gained weight from not doing enough cardio but using weights too much.

Any thoughts. I need to lose weight. My stomach is gross every since I cut back on cardio.

Peace 04-07-2014 03:14 PM

Definitely feeling better if I do more cardio. Thanks for the insight.

I love running, but need to make sure I eat enough. Running burns more calories than I thought for heavens sake.

shadrach 05-31-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabla13 (Post 16833553)
consistent running tends to slow the metabolism down (I think I mentioned that before :hiya:) but you'll definitely be much healthier and in much better shape

Can you tell me the logic behind your idea that consistent running slows down metabolism? I've always heard the opposite. The only way i can see that this would be is if you ran so much as to catabolize your existing muscle, is that what you mean?

spaceace 06-09-2014 08:11 PM

Endurance cardio (several kms or miles) is actually best performed on LC, because you are already accessing your fat stores. You never have to shift from burning glycogen to burning fat, so you never "hit the wall." You start with your "second wind" right away.

Short, intense cardio might be better with some sugar, but for endurance, LC is the way to go!

Don't let anyone tell you that what you are doing is bad for you - you obviously know how your body feels - listen to it!

Peace 06-10-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceace (Post 16938537)
Endurance cardio (several kms or miles) is actually best performed on LC, because you are already accessing your fat stores. You never have to shift from burning glycogen to burning fat, so you never "hit the wall." You start with your "second wind" right away.

Short, intense cardio might be better with some sugar, but for endurance, LC is the way to go!

Don't let anyone tell you that what you are doing is bad for you - you obviously know how your body feels - listen to it!

Hi

Thanks so much! Yep.. I love working out and I have seen a HUGE difference in my body composition and my attitude with doing my cardio. I love high impact aerobics ( old school), but I don't care. It makes me happy.

THanks!!!