Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Let_Me_Atom
Stats: 216.8/196.2/150
WOE: High-fat IF/Bulletproof Protocol
Start Date: January 2014
High-intensity muscle training

Well, not too surprised to see this forum is kinda dead . . . but I'll go ahead and reach out anyway :P

Is anyone focusing on starting up and maintaining a HIT weight lifting regiment this year? I've just began reading 'Body by Science' and while I've done weight training before, I am considering sticking to a twice weekly schedule, alternating between upper and lower body.

I'm going to start up a journal shortly but was interested in sharing ideas and swapping support with other people doing something similar so if you are and happen to be reading this please post!
Let_Me_Atom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
That's what I do when I'm allowed to exercise, and I love it. For medical reasons, I've been restricted from exercise for close to two years now, but when I'm able, I'll get right back to the weights.

And I stick to strict LC while I'm doing it, BTW.

If you're going to post about your progress, I'll be glad to be your cheerleader.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let_Me_Atom View Post
Well, not too surprised to see this forum is kinda dead . . . but I'll go ahead and reach out anyway :P
I was planning to do this later in the year, around June. Serious weightlifting. But not before then. So, I'll see you in six months!
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:49 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I've been looking around for a suitable programme because a number of the recommended lifts for well-regarded programmes don't suit me, for various physical reasons (particular lifts can trigger a migraine and Olympic Lifts seem to be almost wholly inappropriate for me). However, I'm reading through Dr Sara Solomon's site so I may know some more within a couple of days.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:24 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let_Me_Atom View Post

Just curious... why are you not too surprised?

(BTW, good luck on your weight lifting program. HIIT has definite advantages.)
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
Actually I have several questions I was hoping you girls can help me with. I just joined a gym and am beginning to work out. I do Callanetics twice a week, 10/10. I am getting a great toning but I need some help with my upper body because I am top heavy (40DD). I have a trainer, but he doesn't understand what I want to do. I want a little back muscle, arm and upper body strength but more of a smooth and sleek look. Does anyone have any ideas?
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big_Al
Stats: Maintaining at 185ish
WOE: VLC (<15g per day)
Start Date: April 2010
I've been doing P90X while staying low carb and so far so good.

I did have to bump my carbs on cardio days up a tad (say 10g extra one hour or so before) but other than that, no problems. I am running 175 grams protein also to maintain muscle mass. The key for me was finding a whey powder that doesn't have a ton of carbs.

As a side note, if someone is interested in P90X but are not sure if you are in shape for it, do what I did and start with the regular P90 program. It is a gradual fitness program that is designed for taking out of shape folks and getting them into shape. It is balanced between cardio, fitness and flexibility. Once that is no longer a challenge, just into the extreme version of P90 which is the P90X.
Big_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Let_Me_Atom
Stats: 216.8/196.2/150
WOE: High-fat IF/Bulletproof Protocol
Start Date: January 2014
Happy to see there will be others doing some weight training this year I can definitely use some cheerleaders too :P Have been busy these past few days but the journal will be commencing shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Just curious... why are you not too surprised?

(BTW, good luck on your weight lifting program. HIIT has definite advantages.)
By that I mean it seems that many women are afraid of lifting heavy weights for fear of appearing too bulky or looking like a man, which is simply not true! We've been fed this idea through the media that running on a treadmill for an hour is better than doing bicep curls and leg presses. Everytime I go to the gym the women are all slogging it out doing 'cardio' while the men occupy the weights section.

Also I've heard about P90x before but I don't have the dedication to stick to something like that :P
Let_Me_Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
I've been working on strength and using weights for almost a year now, but have just put my program together from reading and listening to various people, plus going by what feels right and safe for me. I am 58 and very injury-averse, so if it takes a little longer for me to get where I'm going, I can accept that. But I'd like to get the most possible out of it and not spend more time on it than it takes, because I also like to do yoga and take long walks. When work presses on my time, I need a plan that helps me maintain through a period of fewer workouts or less time overall. So I am happy to see this thread. Best to all.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I first got into lifting weights in the '80's when I saw an infomercial for "The Firm". I was amazed at the heavy weights their very slim and beautiful exercise instructor (Susan Harris) lifted while doing lunges and squats. The Firm said their program worked towards developing a "swimmer's body", lean and well toned using moderately heavy weights. I started their program and stuck with it. I also got into Cathe Friedrich videos; her approach was different, she separated her cardio and weight workouts and went quite heavy with the weight work. Fast forward thirty years (to age 62), and I'm still doing The Firm workouts and a couple of Cathe tapes. I no longer do Cathe's high impact workouts; I concentrate more on the Firm's integrating weights with low impact cardio which really gives you a great cardio workout while toning your muscles. I'm happy to say that in my 60's, I'm quite toned. I no longer exercise almost everyday like I used to, and I don't lift as heavy as I used to. But lifting 25 pounds is the heaviest I need to go to maintain tone. Unfortunately, I can't do anything about my thinning skin :-( , but I will continue to exercise with weights for as long as I can, even if I have to reduce down to 5 lbs.
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mariad
Stats: 162 goal 140 approx
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: March 2007
HI everyone,I joined this forum years ago,and remember Watch me Shrink transform hrself with callanetics and LC,well aftr a good few years Im back and at the end of the week taking up my weights again,only light ones,but really loved Lift weights to lose weight,I think by Kathy Smith,does anybody still do this ?,Im aiming to tighten the arm area and also work my legs. Thank you Maria x ps and start callanetics up again
mariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan179
Stats: Weight 155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2013
mariad

Mariad, I am doing Callanetics also and am looking for a good weight lifting program to complement it. I tend to be too top heavy and am wanting more definition. I remember long ago Joyce Venderal (Sp) had a good program and books. I think my library even had a cd on her program. I am just starting back on it so will let you know. It might be another option.
Susan179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:26 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mariad
Stats: 162 goal 140 approx
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: March 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan179 View Post
Mariad, I am doing Callanetics also and am looking for a good weight lifting program to complement it. I tend to be too top heavy and am wanting more definition. I remember long ago Joyce Venderal (Sp) had a good program and books. I think my library even had a cd on her program. I am just starting back on it so will let you know. It might be another option.
Thank you Susan,ive looked for Kathy smiths tapes,but,I think h may have renamed them from the origional ones,also looking into Tabata,as tht has some really good reviews also xx
mariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: liverbirdy
Stats: 5'10 239/160
WOE: low carb high protein
Start Date: June 2011
Hi all
I am doing LC but struggling with my weight gain. I work out 5-6 times a week working different muscle groups each day. I guess you could say that I am lifting quite heavy (though some of you may not think so ) weights....from 30lb dumbells to 300lb leg press...I am gaining weight and dont seem to be losing any fat...its driving me insane...any help or tips would be appreciated....Thanks
liverbirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by liverbirdy View Post
Hi all
I am doing LC but struggling with my weight gain. I work out 5-6 times a week working different muscle groups each day. I guess you could say that I am lifting quite heavy (though some of you may not think so ) weights....from 30lb dumbells to 300lb leg press...I am gaining weight and dont seem to be losing any fat...its driving me insane...any help or tips would be appreciated....Thanks
Wow, you do lift heavy. I don't think it's necessary to go so heavy to lose fat and get toned. I've always heard that higher reps with lighter weights work quickly to you get toned and lean while working your heart at the same time. I'm still doing the original THE Firm tapes from the 80's, and I'm happy to say that at age 62, I'm still toned and lean. You can find clips on youtube if you're interested in seeing the workouts. Good luck to you.
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: thirteenthcor
Stats: 6'7" 530/305/275
WOE: Atkins/Ketogenesis
Start Date: October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan179 View Post
Actually I have several questions I was hoping you girls can help me with. I just joined a gym and am beginning to work out. I do Callanetics twice a week, 10/10. I am getting a great toning but I need some help with my upper body because I am top heavy (40DD). I have a trainer, but he doesn't understand what I want to do. I want a little back muscle, arm and upper body strength but more of a smooth and sleek look. Does anyone have any ideas?
Sure Susan I got some recommendations. It sounds like you want more tone and less bulk, so definitely do LESS weight with MORE reps.

For Back you should work Traps, Shoulders, and Lumbar

Do this for traps:

For lumbar do this:

You can also use an inclined bench designed for back extensions as well.

DO NOT DO SUPERMANS they're actually REALLY bad for your spine (Waiting for flame lol)

For Biceps do Hammer Curls, Concentration Curls, and normal dumbbell curls (hammer curls look like your going to use the weight as a "hammer" and regular curls are lifted horizontally)

For Triceps you can do Bench-press and inclined bench-press which will also work your chest. Over the head cable tricep extensions, standing downward tricep extensions, and sitting over-the-head free-weight tricep extensions.

Holding the bar on the inside works your triceps, holding it with a wide stance works your chest.

For chest isolation I prefer to use cables.

At your gym you should have a cable machine with two pulleys on either side facing each other. Attach a single hand grip to both of them and elevate the pulleys to shoulder height. Grab both on either side of you like your arms are being pulled off. Then without bending your elbow bring them together in front of you until the grips or your knuckles touch each other. This will BLAST your chest and keep those ladies up and perky.

You can also do barrel lifts just like this except you need to drop the pulleys to the floor on the post and then lift up on them in the same stance as the exercise above. Make it look like you're lifting a barrel.

Because you want tone not bulk you need to do, like I said, less weight and more reps, but you should still push that muscle to the failure point. IMO.

Hope this helps!

T.
thirteenthcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I've been working on strength and using weights for almost a year now, but have just put my program together from reading and listening to various people, plus going by what feels right and safe for me. I am 58 and very injury-averse, so if it takes a little longer for me to get where I'm going, I can accept that. But I'd like to get the most possible out of it and not spend more time on it than it takes, because I also like to do yoga and take long walks. When work presses on my time, I need a plan that helps me maintain through a period of fewer workouts or less time overall. So I am happy to see this thread. Best to all.
You can ALWAYS lift weights unless something is downright broken, it all comes down to the amount of weight and reps you want to do. Sometimes if you can just make that muscle move and give it a teency bit of resistance it does wonders for ligaments etc.

I've worked out with a few people who do the smallest amounts and still get a nice burn, because it's all about where you are!

T.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hi all
What are you eating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
Wow, you do lift heavy. I don't think it's necessary to go so heavy to lose fat and get toned. I've always heard that higher reps with lighter weights work quickly to you get toned and lean while working your heart at the same time. I'm still doing the original THE Firm tapes from the 80's, and I'm happy to say that at age 62, I'm still toned and lean. You can find clips on youtube if you're interested in seeing the workouts. Good luck to you.
Heavy weights and fewer reps do a better job at building and maintaining LBM than the reverse. That's why we do it.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi all
SAME PROBLEM!

You might need to check into your Glucose Disposal regimen!

I found that eating a HIGH protein/fat/fiber diet helped me get the majority of the weight off, but what I have left is the ULTRA stubborn stuff. The problem you may be facing is one of glycogenesis hyper-efficiency.

Our bodies become VERY good at synthesizing glycogen out of the protein we eat, and as we know, Keto/Atkins/Lo-Carb usually leans very heavily on proteins as a carb replacement. When our bodies do this we store TONS of extra glycogens in our muscles and it can seriously impact keto cycles and fat loss.

I'm a very motivated lifter (I rotate just like you do; two groups a day, 3+ exercises per muscle) and I could NOT figure out what was keeping me out of keto... until I began reading around about the glycogens I talked about above. I was storing so much glycogen and not purging my system of it that I had a constant flow that was keeping me away from keto.

Here's what I did to address it:

Invest heavily into micro-nutrients: vitamins, supplements, etc. Almost all have a direct impact on your metabolism and ketone production over time.

INVEST IN A GLUCOSE MONITOR

This little purchase shed an immense amount of light on how my glucose is tied to my workouts, and directly resulted in my modifications that killed my plateau. I paired the monitor with my keto-stix.

I dropped ten pounds (including some water-weight) in two weeks by modifying my lifting/cardio regimen and adopting my GDAs.

Here's your GDAs (Glucose Disposal Agents) you should look into:

Vanadyl Sulfate
Cinnamon
Chromium (three types: Picolinate, Polynicolinate, Organic Chelate)
Bitter Melon
Gymnema Sylvestre

(ask me more about these if you want or google them yourself)

Do your normal weight-lift regimen (WRECK IT I MEAN) and then IMMEDIATELY go jump on your cardio and do your 10-30 minutes high-intensity/resistance burst training. This is called PWC or "Post Cardio Workout"

I noticed that I would drop 25+ points on my glucose monitor, but IF I did PWC that number would stay depressed for quite a lot longer. You need to run your glucose between 65-85 in order to maintain ketogenesis. Because of the "Dawn Phenomenon" I was waking up with glucose levels 20+ points higher than when I went to bed which kept knocking me out of keto. The suggestion here is a small glass of wine or a light beer RIGHT before bed to stimulate insulin production to combat the glycogen/glucose release from our dumb livers while we sleep.

And... drink LOTS of water. It sounds counter-intuitive I know, but It's very hard to avoid Sodium on our diets when Bacon is a go-to source of enjoyment. Elevated sodium levels WILL cause you to retain water and inflate your weight numbers. I try and drink a gallon a day or more. I'm told we should be drinking out weight in ounces of water per day...

Make sure you're also carb militant. When guys like us are at this stage, every single little deleted carb helps.

And BTW, I don't carb-cycle and It has never been effective for me, but strangely I hear and see it work very well for women...

T.

Last edited by thirteenthcor; 01-28-2014 at 04:19 PM..
Old 01-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
What are you eating?

Heavy weights and fewer reps do a better job at building and maintaining LBM than the reverse. That's why we do it.
I second this^^

Also more muscle mass needs more energy just to function day-to-day so you'll burn more energy just by the virtue of having more muscle mass. It's a curve.

Lifting heavy is hard... But if it was easy we'd all look like Dolph Lundgren.

Nothing worth having is easy to get.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/137.8/135-139
I'm definitely in the heavier weights fewer reps camp.

Been doing it since '09 off and on, and it has served me well.

Being a very senior gal, I need this regimen to avoid osteoporosis!

It definitely is not easy, but sure is effective.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzie View Post
I'm definitely in the heavier weights fewer reps camp.

Been doing it since '09 off and on, and it has served me well.

Being a very senior gal, I need this regimen to avoid osteoporosis!

It definitely is not easy, but sure is effective.
I'm assuming you take calcium/Vitamin D supplements?

You may be aware that Almond Milk has loads more soluble calcium than Dairy Milk does. The lactic Acid in Dairy may also impact calcium leaching from bones.

T.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteenthcor View Post
I'm assuming you take calcium/Vitamin D supplements?

You may be aware that Almond Milk has loads more soluble calcium than Dairy Milk does. The lactic Acid in Dairy may also impact calcium leaching from bones.

T.
Oh yes! I'm a firm believer in my supplements.

My protein shakes are all made with almond milk....have been using nothing else for years now.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzie View Post
Oh yes! I'm a firm believer in my supplements.

My protein shakes are all made with almond milk....have been using nothing else for years now.
I'm looking maybe for a cheap (ish?) shake I can do for breakfast and in-between that is low in carbs (as low as possible) and has amino acids? Lots of stores carry bulkers and gainers which have tons o' carbs...

Any suggestions?

T.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowcarbFan
Netrition sponsors this site and they have a ton of great low carb shake options! They also have a super low flat rate shipping. I have ordered from them a lot. One good one is their Fit Frappe Protein Drink Mix, Mocha . It only has 2 net carbs! There are several flavors there and they don't taste lowcarb. They are really rich and fill me up for a long time. Their link is at the top of the page.
LowcarbFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Netrition has a myriad of protein powders! I have tried many throughout the years and I, too, look for the least amount of carbs, but good taste is important to me.

For the longest time, I used Champion as it suits my taste…….i.e, banana scream; cookies & cream….but there are other flavors as well. With 3.5 grams of carbs, and 20 grams of protein, it is an excellent post-workout drink…

I also use Isopure with 0 grams of carbs and really has become one of my top 3 favorites because of the lack of carbs and good taste. The serving size is 2 scoops giving you a whooping 50 grams of protein, so I use only 1 scoop!

Designer Whey is another favorite but with 6 carbs per serving, I use that when I'm not watching my carbs too closely.

Jay Robb also has an excellent powder, but with the amount and frequency I have my shakes, the price is prohibitive.

There are a couple of threads here on LCF that you may want to peruse, and of course, Netrition has a massive stock and supplies reviews. I always read reviews!!!

My suggestion would be to get a couple of small containers to see how you like them, and then go from there.

Here are the links for the protein powders.

Protein Shakes

Protein Powders

Hope this helps!

Gracie's Journal

Last edited by sazzie; 01-28-2014 at 07:42 PM..
Old 01-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big_Al
Stats: Maintaining at 185ish
WOE: VLC (<15g per day)
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteenthcor View Post

DO NOT DO SUPERMANS they're actually REALLY bad for your spine (Waiting for flame lol)
Hope this helps!

T.
Consider yourself flamed ...

I love my Superman / Banana routine for core work (along with a lot of other stuff).

But all in all, thanks for stepping in for all the great advise.

For protein powders, I am using Cytosport Powder that was on sale at Costco. Great stats and very low carb. Might still be on sale but I stocked up to carry me well into the summer
Big_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
I'm new to the high-intensity exercising side of low-carb living, but I'm excited to try!

I'm going to a Tabata boot camp class next week. It's described as a HIIT program - would that be considered high-intensity muscle training?
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:43 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

No, that would be high intensity interval training, which is cardio.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:57 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Hmm. The exercises are all things like push-ups, squats, burpees, etc., so there's definitely a strength component. It actually seems like it's all strength exercises and that the cardio part comes in because you do the exercises at a high intensity with small rests.

I guess I misunderstood the terminology ? Is HIT only about lifting really heavy?
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote