Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/12W/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
How does one become motivated to exercise??!

I feel good when I exercise, I really do!
I will be gung-ho for months; then the old pattern of laziness returns.
I've been cleared medically for commencing a program...I own a Bowflex and a treadmill.
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to start? It's been 4 yrs since I did anything formally....and am now post menopausal....I've gotta do this for my bones!!
Is it better to do a little bit every day? Or 3x weekly for a longer period of time?
What's normal for muscle soreness? Last time out, I hurt someplace for 3 weeks straight before the endorphins kicked in!
Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I know the problem with working out, at least in my case, is in between my ears!!!
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipshemom
Stats: 131/110 (5'0)
WOE: VLC/Maintenance
Start Date: Jan., 2011
Well, they say to find an exercise you enjoy, then you'll be motivated to stick w/ it. What if you don't have very many exercises you enjoy. Sometimes I have to make myself do it & keep reminding myself how good it is for my bones & muscles. Whenever I start up, I always over-do it & am so sore that I have to take a break. My hubby reminded me of this last time, so I only did half as much as I thought I could for the 1st wk & gradually added more every 1-2 wks. I enjoy daily walking my dog for now. But for more vigorous exercise like our home gym or running, I burn out if I don't rest in between days, so about 3-4x/wk. I find it hard to keep interested in working out indoors by myself. Getting outside gets me away from the distractions that I use not to do it. Log or Journal your progress, set goals.
shipshemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Crud. It's your birthday; here I thought you had been given a magic wand!
Are ya telling me you just got a present of a magic jack??!
LOL
Old 10-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipshemom
Stats: 131/110 (5'0)
WOE: VLC/Maintenance
Start Date: Jan., 2011
I'm VERY confused about the Magic Jack. Didn't think I said anything about that. Maybe in a different post & it was misunderstood? lol.
shipshemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
What worked for me finally after years of exercise tapes and machines collecting dust was taking up running and running races. Having a race on the calendar and a training plan to follow keeps me on track.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

My attempt at humor!
I Meant that I thought you could fix my problem with a magic wand, but you didn't get a wand For your birthday 8)
Old 10-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
I got a Fitbit pedometer and my goal is 10,000 steps a day and I usually make it! My two dogs help keep me motivated to get out and go but I'm dreading the upcoming cold months...are the winters getting more brutal or is it the aging process that keeps me inside???
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mizzlizz
Stats: 214/207/180
Start Date: 11/10/2013
I feel better when I exercise and since I have a bad back and am disabled I have to try and keep some level of fitness and muscle strength. It was severe back pain that got me started in theraputic aquatics about six years ago. I was in so much pain from my back and fibromyalgia that I was desperate. I started water walking in an outdoor pool at the rec center. After a couple of weeks I could notice that I was getting some relief. Believe me it took me every bit of strength I had to go the first time and to keep going. I have always loved being in water but had avoided it because of my weight. In this class people were all older like me and overweight too. Then I went to water aerobics classes which are a lot of fun, I stay in deep water. I do what I can, sometimes I don't go for a few months especially in the winter but I always go back again because the water feels so good and you don't have gravity to fight. I feel like I have accomplished something good when I go and it lets my Drs know that I am trying to take care of myself.
Mizzlizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jillo
Stats: 247/197/175 5'7"
WOE: MEDI on my own
Start Date: March 2013
For me, motivation is more about getting the 100 little things that prevent me from exercising out of the way. If I keep what I need to exercise (sports bra, socks, running shoes, fancy pants, jacket, hat, and headphones) in one place, then when I feel the urge to get out and move, I can throw it all on and head out the door. But having to find each piece just saps my motivation.
Jillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
I have a fit bit monitor as well and it kind of challenges me with my activity. You can even have fit bit "buddies" that you "compete" against. I actually posted about looking for buddies in the exercise forum. Like GME I have taken up running....it does really help to plan a race...just what I need to do!
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:41 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
I have a fit bit monitor as well and it kind of challenges me with my activity. You can even have fit bit "buddies" that you "compete" against. I actually posted about looking for buddies in the exercise forum. Like GME I have taken up running....it does really help to plan a race...just what I need to do!
I just did my first 5K (walk)run and I'm hooked! I private messaged you my info so we can be fitbit buddies
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote