Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Muscle Matters! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/muscle-matters/)
-   -   Ok i need help... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/muscle-matters/806110-ok-i-need-help.html)

ss1 06-14-2013 09:57 PM

Ok i need help...

I think i read too much and now im just confused. I want to build muscle to look better and increase my metabolism to lose the last 15 pounds or so of fat. But i read that you cant gain muscle and lose fat at the same time so do I just stay low carb and start a weight training program when im closer to goal or do I start a program now? And if I do, will I not lose weight/fat? :dunno: Im trying to read up on how to lower my body fat % but clearly have no idea what im doing lol.

Avy 06-15-2013 10:31 AM

Of course you can build muscle while you lose fat! You might see slower losses on the scale as your muscles hold onto water while you're still losing fat, but you're still losing fat, and still gaining muscle as you work out, as long as you're continuing healthy eating choices.

Exercise is great for your health and well being, and will definitely help you look leaner, feel strong, and more confident, as you continue to lose the fat through proper nutrition.

I've lost 54 lbs the last year, mostly before I started working out, but I'm still losing weight, and getting stronger and leaner at the same time. the scale loses are slower, but I'm not losing lean body mass anymore (well, it's minimal now that I'm concentrating on the whole health and wellness package, and not the scale movement).

I hope my rambling helps. :)

ss1 06-15-2013 12:06 PM

@avy Ah thanks so much! Thats helps a lot! Should I add a few complex carbs after working out? Right now im trying to keep my carbs really low but everything I read about gaining muscle is all about complex carbs and protein shakes.

Avy 06-15-2013 02:07 PM

I personally don't use protein shakes and have never added carbs before or after a workout. Eating good protein is essential to building muscle, but you can get that from chicken, beef, fish, etc. My fitness trainer tried to talk me into using protein powders once, but bleh, not only are they heavily processed, I just don't like protein shakes at all, never have. I'd rather eat good food I like!

As long as you feel good, there's no reason to adjust your diet for the work out, except to make sure you're always getting plenty of water and protein in general, and good food, to support your lifestyle. It's a lot more complicated than that, but, and people have written lots of books on the subject, but basically, no one "needs" carbs, working out or not. I stick to the veggies, proteins and healthy fats/dairy, and I have plenty of energy before and after a workout, and in general.

Phinney and Volek's the Art and Science of Low Carb Living is a good book if you can find it, as well you can find articles and youtube videos if you just google their names and the subject. :) They also wrote The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance, directed at athletes.

ss1 06-16-2013 03:01 PM

Thanks so much for all the advice @avy!! REALLY APPRECIATED!

avid 06-17-2013 03:20 PM

No doubt about it. You absolutely can lose weight and build muscle at the same time.
I started going to the gym about the same time I started LC.
I have found that working out and losing weight have nothing to do with each other.
By that I mean, if I worked out hard one day, the next day might show some weight loss or not. If I didn't work out one day, the next day might show some weight loss or not.
The weight loss was all about my woe and the strength building was all about my workouts.
So go for it. At age 63 I look and feel better than I have in years.
Just take it easy. Injuries happen.

inatic 06-18-2013 07:36 PM

if you are new to training or detrained you will recomp fat and muscle. after that honeymoon phase you're chasing two rabbits. If it were that easy that every could gain muscle we'd all be jacked ;)

I personally feel like crap on low carb and can not train that way.

ss1 06-19-2013 07:38 PM

Thanks everyone! I think im going to get into the habit of working out again first and then if eating low carb makes me feel like crap adjust my woe a little and focus on one or the other. Thanks again for the advice, im a newb to this whole changing my body thing and just trying to figure things out. Really appreciated!