Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
sjs
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sjs
WOE: cyclical ketogenic diet - 10g carbs mon-fri
staying motivated while getting there

ok so, you look in the mirror and you're not where you want to be yet. you are so aware of all the tiring hard work you're putting in and on some days you think 'this is too hard and for what? still looking fat?'

self perception and patience are two very hard things to overcome - anyone have any advice to keep going when you feel like there's no progress (but you sure ARE NOT going to have progress by stopping working hard!)

sjs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I hear ya'
I definetly need to see progress to stay motivated.
One thing I found is to NOT look at yourself naked every day.
This can be tough especailly if the scale says you lost a couple of pounds.
But I found that really looking carefully at my body only once a week or so helped me see some of the subtle changes. One of the biggest thrills for me was when I noticed a shadow of rib starting to show. Gotta tell ya that was huge...hadn't seen a rib in years, no make that decades!
Another thing that really helped me alot was to not view my LC woe as a diet but rather as a lifestyle change. Looking at sugary, trans fat concoctions like cake no longer has the effect on me it once did. I don't crave it...I'm repulsed by it.
I eat for health and guess what? I'm still losing weight.
Progress can be measured in different ways. The scale weight, the way your clothes fit, how you look, what others are saying, your energy level, your blood pressure or lipid profile, bmi, or body fat percentage changes, endurance and so on and so on.
You stats show a very LC woe for 5 days a week...Is it too restrictive? Meaning are you feeling deprived? That could lead to too many carbs on the weekend reversing any progress you may have made during the week.
I gotta tell you, I would be miserable at 10g carb a day. I'm typically at <50. I'm continuing to lose, albeit slowly, but I still get to indulge in some peanut butter, or berries with cream and walnuts sprinkled in. These are my indulgent pleasures, but they keep me going.
Best of luck to you on your quest for optimum health and happiness.
Oh, one other thing I find motivational.
Post your weight stats the way it's suggested meaning start/current/goal.
It's a huge boost when you get to change your current weight to a lower stat and if not, the support and encouragement you can find here (especially if you ask) is unprecedented. LCF is full of great people who want you to succeed.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Body recomposition seems to take forever and it is difficult to be patient. It is easier when you get closer to goal, as far as being happy with what you see in the mirror, but it is frustrating. I notice almost no changes from day to day. Avid said it all very well in his post.

Some things that motivate me are buying a couple of new clothing items once every six months. I just keep reminding myself that it was 25+ years of a bad diet/exercise regime that got me where I was so it might take me a long time to reverse the process. Turns out it is taking a lot less than 25years, so that is at least a positive!
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
sjs
Junior LCF Member

thanks guys, good input here!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs View Post
ok so, you look in the mirror and you're not where you want to be yet. you are so aware of all the tiring hard work you're putting in and on some days you think 'this is too hard and for what? still looking fat?'

self perception and patience are two very hard things to overcome - anyone have any advice to keep going when you feel like there's no progress (but you sure ARE NOT going to have progress by stopping working hard!)

A coveted jewel I read years ago from Erik, Ileen's coach at Lean Bodies Fitness -- LOVE THIS:

Quote:

The Grind

The Grind is that time in your physique transformation where you just put your head down and grind it out.

It’s often the time between the initial fast “newbie” results and the final results. Changes are occurring in your body, but you may not see them from week to week.
Mentally, The Grind is also where some of that new program and new diet enthusiasm wears off and it all becomes routine, even boring. There’s nothing left to do or say really; you just work the plan, day to day to day.

But toward the end of The Grind, what’ll happen is that you’ll glance back at your “befores” and realize you’ve made some major changes. Other people will begin to notice. And that positive feedback will reignite the enthusiasm. And that will cause you to kick the training up a notch, leading to more results.

I think The Grind applies to life in general too, not just to losing fat and gaining muscle. There are simply times when we have to put aside all distractions (even the good ones), put our heads down, grit our teeth, and grind it out. At the end of The Grind lies an achievement, something great, or some reward or pay-off. But The Grind always comes first.

Thing is, most people won’t make this sacrifice; they won’t even begin The Grind, much less finish it. And that’s why most people don’t succeed. The Grind is often what separates the great from the average. It’s as simple as that sometimes.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
sjs
Junior LCF Member

that's so true. I think whatever new way of wating we take on to make changes, sometimes it's as simple as stopping analysing it and just keeping on going.

I've made sure I am strict to MY plan, hoping the discipline will pay off in the end thanks guys
Old 04-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #7

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
A coveted jewel I read years ago from Erik, Ileen's coach at Lean Bodies Fitness -- LOVE THIS:
:waves:

So right Twyla! (im still with training with Erik just shy of 7yrs now.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #8

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
I also love this one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik's blog
his is a post from Alwyn Cosgrove’s blog that I thought was a really good analogy for the rate of progress and being patient.

Let’s assume you go out and buy two rolls of paper towels, each with 112 paper towels on it. You put one aside, and keep it for future reference (your “before” picture). The other one represents you (I’ll call your paper towel “Ed”).The core represents the lean Ed. The towels represent the fat that is covering the lean Ed.

For sake of argument, let’s say that Ed wants to lose 28 pounds of fat, so (112/28) each sheet represents a quarter-pound of fat lost.

Let’s also assume that Ed loses his fat equally during each day of the program.

Each day during the first week, you tear a sheet off of Ed, representing the fat he has lost for the day. Next, you put Ed next to the full roll (“Big Ed”) for comparison.

No noticeable difference! Even at the end of the week!

“This can’t be working for me! This program sucks! ” But, you continue to follow your fat loss program. At the end of weeks two and three, you continue to compare Ed to Big Ed, and still notice very little difference.

But Ed is determined! He continues to work hard!

Three more weeks go by, the sheets peeling off day after day, before Ed gets up the courage to stand next to Big Ed again.

Now there’s a big difference!

By the end of the program (112 days), Ed is down to his lean dream, or somewhere near it. Big Ed is still – well, big.

The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around, that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area – just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

While the outside sheet may only cover one layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you four times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same – your perception is just different! And you’ll never see the inside, if you aren’t patient while the outside is coming off!
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC

no, make that GREAT POST!!
at first reading about 'Ed, the paper towel' seemed silly, but I have come to respect your posts so I kept reading.
I walk away with a clearer understanding of the whole process. Yes, perception is everything.
great stuff here.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote