Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
What I learned about exercise since October 2012...

I used to think I needed to work out HARD to lose weight. I was a competitive swimmer for 12 years and trained 6 days per week, double workouts 3 days per week plus weights 3 days per week. This intense schedule meant I spent many, many years lean and hungry. I knew no other way of exercising except to do it hard. I have no major issue with people who workout this way, but I found that for ME it doesn't work at giving me a balanced lifestyle and healthy body.

What I am finding out about myself is that I first and foremost MUST lift weights! MUST! Weight lifting has dropped my insulin level from 19 to 7.1...with 7 being 'normal'. This is HUGE for losing weight. My blood sugar and A1c also dropped. My A1c started out at 5.9 and is now 5.2. The more I read, the more I see that weight lifting sensitizes the body to its own insulin. I didn't really know this. So now when I exercise, I think about what it's doing to the inside of my body rather than the outside and this helps me stay with it. Has anyone else found this to be true for them, too?

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
WTG!

I'd also read somewhere that weight training is even better for blood sugar than cardio. Looks like you're reaping the benefits!

I think about the effect on my body inside when considering what I eat & how I workout. I don't test BS or anything but I definitely notice a difference in how I feel.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: peretroika
Stats: 5'2 140lbs
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekaboolie View Post
I used to think I needed to work out HARD to lose weight. I was a competitive swimmer for 12 years and trained 6 days per week, double workouts 3 days per week plus weights 3 days per week. This intense schedule meant I spent many, many years lean and hungry. I knew no other way of exercising except to do it hard. I have no major issue with people who workout this way, but I found that for ME it doesn't work at giving me a balanced lifestyle and healthy body.

What I am finding out about myself is that I first and foremost MUST lift weights! MUST! Weight lifting has dropped my insulin level from 19 to 7.1...with 7 being 'normal'. This is HUGE for losing weight. My blood sugar and A1c also dropped. My A1c started out at 5.9 and is now 5.2. The more I read, the more I see that weight lifting sensitizes the body to its own insulin. I didn't really know this. So now when I exercise, I think about what it's doing to the inside of my body rather than the outside and this helps me stay with it. Has anyone else found this to be true for them, too?
Way to go! Glad you found something that worked so well!

I love my cardio and all, but know that the benefits of lifting weights is very important...I lift my 8 & 10 lbs weights at home but am so intimated by the weight room! Is that ridiculous? Did you feel that way at all?
peretroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I am an endurance athlete. And I used to do a lot of training, but at my age it was just to reap the benefits not for competitive reasons. Ie. as a weight maintenance tool. Even though I cut out sugar years ago I started to develop problems with reactive hypoglycemia. So I went to LC about three months ago. Things have been much better from a "feeling" standpoint, I have reduced the amount of exercise I was doing to less than 7hrs a week (from roughly 20). For the last week I have been monitoring my BG.

What I have found is that even though the weight training uses almost entirely muscle glycogen, it doesn't have as much of an impact on my blood sugar as does endurance sessions. Endurance sessions, even if at what I perceive to be at a low intensity, they drop my BG into the severe to moderate range for hypoglycemia. That is a bit scary if you aren't in a ketogenic state. So it appears that weight training is much safer for people doing low carb diets. Not to mention the other benefits that you have already talked about. From now on, I plan on doing a lot more weight training sessions for my exercise.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Great post.

Very inspiring.

I too am a firm believer and diehard diciple of weight training.
And I find it even more important at my age than ever before.

Thanks for sharing. Keep spreading the word!

WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I am an endurance athlete. And I used to do a lot of training, but at my age it was just to reap the benefits not for competitive reasons. Ie. as a weight maintenance tool. Even though I cut out sugar years ago I started to develop problems with reactive hypoglycemia. So I went to LC about three months ago. Things have been much better from a "feeling" standpoint, I have reduced the amount of exercise I was doing to less than 7hrs a week (from roughly 20). For the last week I have been monitoring my BG.

What I have found is that even though the weight training uses almost entirely muscle glycogen, it doesn't have as much of an impact on my blood sugar as does endurance sessions. Endurance sessions, even if at what I perceive to be at a low intensity, they drop my BG into the severe to moderate range for hypoglycemia. That is a bit scary if you aren't in a ketogenic state. So it appears that weight training is much safer for people doing low carb diets. Not to mention the other benefits that you have already talked about. From now on, I plan on doing a lot more weight training sessions for my exercise.
if you do a lot of hi reps and depleating work outs, its similar to endurance training. Take longer rests and do work in all rep range, not/just hi reps.
Im with Twyla. Cant imagine life and not training.at just weeks shy of 51, its a passion and important.

Last edited by inatic; 04-22-2013 at 01:42 PM..
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Add me to the list of people who love to use weights for strength and fitness.
I go to the local Gold's gym several times a week.
I'm inspired by the photo's of punkin and watchmeshrink...I'll have to ask dw to take some photo's of me when I get back from my NY visit.
julie, I wish I had the before and after blood workups, but alas I don't so I can't comment on this aspect of lc and weight training. But I'm feeling healthy and fit...no make that robust.
It sounds like what you are doing is working great.
Thanks for posting....I love this forum.