Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: asosanko
Stats: 260/233/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct 2009
Awesome muscle workouts!?

I am in need of some good muscle workouts to tone and strengthen all over and any advice to building muscle endurance anything would be helpful and appreciated
asosanko is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Well I don't know what your fitness level is or what kind of equipment you have. But assuming you have no equipment, I would recommend bodyweight exercises such as pushups, crunches, planks, chair dips, leg raises, squats, and so forth. You can't go wrong with those. You could start with 3 sets of each, however many reps you can do. If you do more reps and less resistance, that's more for toning. If you do more weight and fewer reps, that will build strength.

If you had some dumbbells, I would add in some curls and shoulder presses for good measure. Chinups are wonderful, but that's probably a bit advanced for you at this stage.

So that's weight training, as far as cardio, you could start with walking. Uphill sprints are one of my go-to exercises, but start slow. The main thing is to challenge yourself without killing yourself. If you wake up the next day and feel like you've been hit by a truck, you overdid it. Also, expect soreness and lots of it. Sorry, but it goes with the territory. If you don't experience any soreness, you didn't do enough.

Those are just my tips, I'm not a personal trainer, but I have been working out for a long time and what I say comes from personal experience and trial and error. Good luck and let me know how it goes! If you tell me what kind of equipment you have access to, I can give more specific ideas.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I have a gym membership! I'm working on my cardio endurance I play ddr and use cardio equipment at the gym such as the treadmill and bike.. when it comes to my muscles I would just love to strengthen and tone.. I would really like to have my flat tummy back but I know that comes with time
Old 04-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
BFL is a good basic starter program. Its what i started with about 8yrs ago.

Flat tummy is a function of diet and fat loss. Dont get too hooked on cardio, more is not better unless you are looking to run races.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by asosanko View Post
I have a gym membership! I'm working on my cardio endurance I play ddr and use cardio equipment at the gym such as the treadmill and bike.. when it comes to my muscles I would just love to strengthen and tone.. I would really like to have my flat tummy back but I know that comes with time
If you have a gym membership pay for a training session. ($75.00 or so) Money well spent! The trainer will assess your ability and give you a list of exercises. If you don't have much stability then they start you out on Nautalus type equipment. If you have a little more stability then you can start with cable-type machines. Then you progress to free weights. They'll show you the proper form, timing, reps, etc. for every exercise. I see a lot of people doing alot of "wild" things at the gym. I ask my trainer, "why is that guy doing that?" and he just shakes his head sometimes. Not all the exercises he has me doing are with weights. A lot of it is based on my own body weight and other items like fit balls, bosu balls, etc. Many of these are way harder than just lifting!!

They should give you a sheet to keep track of reps / weight for every exercise & workout. Then you can track your progress, make yourself notes like "increase weight by 10 next time.", etc. I see my trainer once per month. He changes up the routine every 4 weeks to keep the muscles confused and keep the routine from getting monotonous.

Also, if you have any physical limitations they can recommend exercises that will not aggravate these areas and perhaps improve problems...

If you're going to go through the effort of working out and paying for a monthly gym membership, you might as well make sure you're doing it right and not wasting your time / money!!!!

Last edited by CTH; 04-09-2013 at 01:14 PM..
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #6

muscle dont need to be 'confused' it does help with boredom.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Consulting a personal trainer is a great idea. At my gym they include one free session with the membership.
I always encourage people here to exercise even though it probably wont help you lose weight. It feels so great to be a 'hardbody' with increased strength and endurance.
I would caution you to progress slowly though. It's easy to get caught up in moving along too fast. Right now my shoulder has some deep pain that is more than soreness.
I'll know for sure in another day or two, but I suspect I may have an injury that will require some medical intervention. I'm usually pretty careful about knowing when enough is enough, but like I said it's easy to get carried away.
Be safe, and best of luck to you.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Consulting a personal trainer is a great idea. At my gym they include one free session with the membership.
I always encourage people here to exercise even though it probably wont help you lose weight. It feels so great to be a 'hardbody' with increased strength and endurance.
I would caution you to progress slowly though. It's easy to get caught up in moving along too fast. Right now my shoulder has some deep pain that is more than soreness.
I'll know for sure in another day or two, but I suspect I may have an injury that will require some medical intervention. I'm usually pretty careful about knowing when enough is enough, but like I said it's easy to get carried away.
Be safe, and best of luck to you.
I have a shoulder problem too. My trainer gives me shoulder exercises that don't aggravate it but I have to be careful. I've never had it looked it because it never bothered me when I wasn't exercising. I suspect it's bursitus. Sometimes I ice it down after the gym or even take some Advil.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym and his new book, geared towards women, Body By You. I just started Body By You and it. The author puts together the fitness programs for Navy Seals and Green Berets and his plan is only three days a week/30 minutes a time. You also need no extra equipment-you use your own body for strength training BBY was $16 at barnes and noble and that was it- the total cost of the program
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I'm finally back in the gym but being very careful.
I've been doing some core work and started doing shoulder rehab stretches
and exercises. I tried using the rower with very little weight, thought I detected a
slight 'twinge' so stopped and went home.
I've had one shoulder operated on for bursar removal and torn rotator cuff.
I do not want to go through either of those procedures again.
I"m sitting at the puter with an ice pack bulging out of my shoulder.
Easy does it.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym and his new book, geared towards women, Body By You. I just started Body By You and it. The author puts together the fitness programs for Navy Seals and Green Berets and his plan is only three days a week/30 minutes a time. You also need no extra equipment-you use your own body for strength training BBY was $16 at barnes and noble and that was it- the total cost of the program
That's awesome, Sara! I was honestly wondering how YAYOG worked out for you. But I couldn't remember which thread it was in so that I could go back and ask if you like it.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

I really admire people who have the ability to work out effectively at home.
Over the years I bought, used for a little while, and gotten rid of several home fitness devices including a rower (actually used this one for more than a couple of months) two separate exercise bikes, bench w/weigts, dumbell set, spring type resistance trainers, and probably one or two others that slip my mind at the moment.
It never worked for me. I would use the equipment for a month or so, then it just became something to hang clothes on before selling or giving away.
No, for me, it's the gym or nothing. And even here I have had 3 gym memberships. One is a lifetime membership at Bally's...that I used for less than 3 months. I now go to a Golds gym that is literally around the corner from my house. There isn't a Bally's for over 50 miles. The Gold's is great. Has all the equipment you could want and plenty of trainers who will answer questions.
I've been doing it faithfully for about 10 months which is a huge accomplishment for me.
Shoulder continues to slowly improve. The challenge now is not to rush it.
Once again.
Easy does it.
Have a great workout everyone!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
That's awesome, Sara! I was honestly wondering how YAYOG worked out for you. But I couldn't remember which thread it was in so that I could go back and ask if you like it.
Thanks again for recommending it-it's exactly what I was looking for
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
Thanks again for recommending it-it's exactly what I was looking for
I'm so super glad! Because you are awesome and I'm so glad you can get what you need without having any family friction about joining a gym. You've worked your way to maintenance and now you absolutely deserve the best.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

asosanko, have you found a workout routine your happy with?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #16

Quote:
I really admire people who have the ability to work out effectively at home.
Over the years I bought, used for a little while, and gotten rid of several home fitness devices including a rower (actually used this one for more than a couple of months) two separate exercise bikes, bench w/weigts, dumbell set, spring type resistance trainers, and probably one or two others that slip my mind at the moment.
It never worked for me. I would use the equipment for a month or so, then it just became something to hang clothes on before selling or giving away.
No, for me, it's the gym or nothing. And even here I have had 3 gym memberships. One is a lifetime membership at Bally's...that I used for less than 3 months. I now go to a Golds gym that is literally around the corner from my house. There isn't a Bally's for over 50 miles. The Gold's is great. Has all the equipment you could want and plenty of trainers who will answer questions.
I've been doing it faithfully for about 10 months which is a huge accomplishment for me.
Shoulder continues to slowly improve. The challenge now is not to rush it.
Once again.
Easy does it.
Have a great workout everyone!
i have a full gym (including cage ) and also have a commercial membership. have consistently used both for almost 10yrs.
Some people just do better in a commercial setting. Im fine either way. Time contraints, i'm ever thankful for the home gym but meet up with gf etc often in the commercial ones too.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
asosanko, have you found a workout routine your happy with?
Sorry I haven't been on here in a very long time.. a lot of issues going on.. haven't even had time to workout. I am kinda homeless right now and my mental illness is declining.. and my dad was just in the hospital for a month because he tried to kill himself.. a lot of stress going on its so intense too much to handle.. I know this thread was about workouts and such and I thank everyone for replying with great advice! Just so much going on.. atleast im sticking to low carb though when I do get a chance to eat
Old 05-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Oh, that is so much to deal with! I wish you the best.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Prayers for the well being of you and your family
Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, my goodness! Take care of yourself! It sounds like your family really needs you at your best right now.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Thank you everyone for your love and support it means the world plus more<3 Things are more stable now my boyfriend and I found an apartment and my dad is doing soo much better I am so happy he survived that.. thank you all again!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I'm really glad to hear things are looking up!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

I'm so happy to hear that things are better for you and your family! HUGS!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Thank you guys so much your kindness and caring thoughts mean the world <3