Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Muscle Matters! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/muscle-matters/)
-   -   Awesome muscle workouts!? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/muscle-matters/801500-awesome-muscle-workouts.html)

asosanko 04-07-2013 10:37 AM

Awesome muscle workouts!?
 
I am in need of some good muscle workouts to tone and strengthen all over and any advice to building muscle endurance anything would be helpful and appreciated :)

jmc305 04-07-2013 11:01 AM

Well I don't know what your fitness level is or what kind of equipment you have. But assuming you have no equipment, I would recommend bodyweight exercises such as pushups, crunches, planks, chair dips, leg raises, squats, and so forth. You can't go wrong with those. You could start with 3 sets of each, however many reps you can do. If you do more reps and less resistance, that's more for toning. If you do more weight and fewer reps, that will build strength.

If you had some dumbbells, I would add in some curls and shoulder presses for good measure. Chinups are wonderful, but that's probably a bit advanced for you at this stage.

So that's weight training, as far as cardio, you could start with walking. Uphill sprints are one of my go-to exercises, but start slow. The main thing is to challenge yourself without killing yourself. If you wake up the next day and feel like you've been hit by a truck, you overdid it. Also, expect soreness and lots of it. Sorry, but it goes with the territory. If you don't experience any soreness, you didn't do enough.

Those are just my tips, I'm not a personal trainer, but I have been working out for a long time and what I say comes from personal experience and trial and error. Good luck and let me know how it goes! If you tell me what kind of equipment you have access to, I can give more specific ideas. ;)

asosanko 04-07-2013 11:29 AM

I have a gym membership! I'm working on my cardio endurance I play ddr and use cardio equipment at the gym such as the treadmill and bike.. when it comes to my muscles I would just love to strengthen and tone.. I would really like to have my flat tummy back but I know that comes with time

inatic 04-09-2013 04:33 AM

BFL is a good basic starter program. Its what i started with about 8yrs ago.

Flat tummy is a function of diet and fat loss. Dont get too hooked on cardio, more is not better unless you are looking to run races.

CTH 04-09-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asosanko (Post 16359725)
I have a gym membership! I'm working on my cardio endurance I play ddr and use cardio equipment at the gym such as the treadmill and bike.. when it comes to my muscles I would just love to strengthen and tone.. I would really like to have my flat tummy back but I know that comes with time

If you have a gym membership pay for a training session. ($75.00 or so) Money well spent! The trainer will assess your ability and give you a list of exercises. If you don't have much stability then they start you out on Nautalus type equipment. If you have a little more stability then you can start with cable-type machines. Then you progress to free weights. They'll show you the proper form, timing, reps, etc. for every exercise. I see a lot of people doing alot of "wild" things at the gym. I ask my trainer, "why is that guy doing that?" and he just shakes his head sometimes. Not all the exercises he has me doing are with weights. A lot of it is based on my own body weight and other items like fit balls, bosu balls, etc. Many of these are way harder than just lifting!!

They should give you a sheet to keep track of reps / weight for every exercise & workout. Then you can track your progress, make yourself notes like "increase weight by 10 next time.", etc. I see my trainer once per month. He changes up the routine every 4 weeks to keep the muscles confused and keep the routine from getting monotonous.

Also, if you have any physical limitations they can recommend exercises that will not aggravate these areas and perhaps improve problems...

If you're going to go through the effort of working out and paying for a monthly gym membership, you might as well make sure you're doing it right and not wasting your time / money!!!!

inatic 04-09-2013 01:23 PM

muscle dont need to be 'confused' it does help with boredom.

avid 04-11-2013 09:45 PM

Consulting a personal trainer is a great idea. At my gym they include one free session with the membership.
I always encourage people here to exercise even though it probably wont help you lose weight. It feels so great to be a 'hardbody' with increased strength and endurance.
I would caution you to progress slowly though. It's easy to get caught up in moving along too fast. Right now my shoulder has some deep pain that is more than soreness.
I'll know for sure in another day or two, but I suspect I may have an injury that will require some medical intervention. I'm usually pretty careful about knowing when enough is enough, but like I said it's easy to get carried away.
Be safe, and best of luck to you.

CTH 04-12-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16368406)
Consulting a personal trainer is a great idea. At my gym they include one free session with the membership.
I always encourage people here to exercise even though it probably wont help you lose weight. It feels so great to be a 'hardbody' with increased strength and endurance.
I would caution you to progress slowly though. It's easy to get caught up in moving along too fast. Right now my shoulder has some deep pain that is more than soreness.
I'll know for sure in another day or two, but I suspect I may have an injury that will require some medical intervention. I'm usually pretty careful about knowing when enough is enough, but like I said it's easy to get carried away.
Be safe, and best of luck to you.

I have a shoulder problem too. My trainer gives me shoulder exercises that don't aggravate it but I have to be careful. I've never had it looked it because it never bothered me when I wasn't exercising. I suspect it's bursitus. Sometimes I ice it down after the gym or even take some Advil.

mom23kids 04-16-2013 01:01 PM

Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym and his new book, geared towards women, Body By You. I just started Body By You and :love: it. The author puts together the fitness programs for Navy Seals and Green Berets and his plan is only three days a week/30 minutes a time. You also need no extra equipment-you use your own body for strength training :) BBY was $16 at barnes and noble and that was it- the total cost of the program :D

avid 04-16-2013 01:05 PM

I'm finally back in the gym but being very careful.
I've been doing some core work and started doing shoulder rehab stretches
and exercises. I tried using the rower with very little weight, thought I detected a
slight 'twinge' so stopped and went home.
I've had one shoulder operated on for bursar removal and torn rotator cuff.
I do not want to go through either of those procedures again.
I"m sitting at the puter with an ice pack bulging out of my shoulder.
Easy does it.

Trillex 04-17-2013 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16377014)
Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym and his new book, geared towards women, Body By You. I just started Body By You and :love: it. The author puts together the fitness programs for Navy Seals and Green Berets and his plan is only three days a week/30 minutes a time. You also need no extra equipment-you use your own body for strength training :) BBY was $16 at barnes and noble and that was it- the total cost of the program :D

That's awesome, Sara! I was honestly wondering how YAYOG worked out for you. But I couldn't remember which thread it was in so that I could go back and ask if you like it.

avid 04-17-2013 06:04 AM

I really admire people who have the ability to work out effectively at home.
Over the years I bought, used for a little while, and gotten rid of several home fitness devices including a rower (actually used this one for more than a couple of months) two separate exercise bikes, bench w/weigts, dumbell set, spring type resistance trainers, and probably one or two others that slip my mind at the moment.
It never worked for me. I would use the equipment for a month or so, then it just became something to hang clothes on before selling or giving away.
No, for me, it's the gym or nothing. And even here I have had 3 gym memberships. One is a lifetime membership at Bally's...that I used for less than 3 months. I now go to a Golds gym that is literally around the corner from my house. There isn't a Bally's for over 50 miles. The Gold's is great. Has all the equipment you could want and plenty of trainers who will answer questions.
I've been doing it faithfully for about 10 months which is a huge accomplishment for me.
Shoulder continues to slowly improve. The challenge now is not to rush it.
Once again.
Easy does it.
Have a great workout everyone!

mom23kids 04-17-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trillex (Post 16378114)
That's awesome, Sara! I was honestly wondering how YAYOG worked out for you. But I couldn't remember which thread it was in so that I could go back and ask if you like it.

Thanks again for recommending it-it's exactly what I was looking for :)

Trillex 04-17-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16378868)
Thanks again for recommending it-it's exactly what I was looking for :)

I'm so super glad! Because you are awesome and I'm so glad you can get what you need without having any family friction about joining a gym. You've worked your way to maintenance and now you absolutely deserve the best.

avid 04-17-2013 02:19 PM

asosanko, have you found a workout routine your happy with?

inatic 04-22-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16378237)
I really admire people who have the ability to work out effectively at home.
Over the years I bought, used for a little while, and gotten rid of several home fitness devices including a rower (actually used this one for more than a couple of months) two separate exercise bikes, bench w/weigts, dumbell set, spring type resistance trainers, and probably one or two others that slip my mind at the moment.
It never worked for me. I would use the equipment for a month or so, then it just became something to hang clothes on before selling or giving away.
No, for me, it's the gym or nothing. And even here I have had 3 gym memberships. One is a lifetime membership at Bally's...that I used for less than 3 months. I now go to a Golds gym that is literally around the corner from my house. There isn't a Bally's for over 50 miles. The Gold's is great. Has all the equipment you could want and plenty of trainers who will answer questions.
I've been doing it faithfully for about 10 months which is a huge accomplishment for me.
Shoulder continues to slowly improve. The challenge now is not to rush it.
Once again.
Easy does it.
Have a great workout everyone!

i have a full gym (including cage ) and also have a commercial membership. have consistently used both for almost 10yrs.
Some people just do better in a commercial setting. Im fine either way. Time contraints, i'm ever thankful for the home gym but meet up with gf etc often in the commercial ones too.

asosanko 05-11-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16379342)
asosanko, have you found a workout routine your happy with?

Sorry I haven't been on here in a very long time.. a lot of issues going on.. haven't even had time to workout. I am kinda homeless right now and my mental illness is declining.. and my dad was just in the hospital for a month because he tried to kill himself.. a lot of stress going on its so intense too much to handle.. I know this thread was about workouts and such and I thank everyone for replying with great advice! Just so much going on.. atleast im sticking to low carb though when I do get a chance to eat :)

Ntombi 05-11-2013 08:32 PM

Oh, that is so much to deal with! I wish you the best. :hugs:

avid 05-12-2013 06:29 AM

Prayers for the well being of you and your family

Trillex 05-15-2013 09:01 AM

Oh, my goodness! Take care of yourself! It sounds like your family really needs you at your best right now.

asosanko 05-27-2013 02:13 PM

Thank you everyone for your love and support it means the world plus more<3 :) Things are more stable now my boyfriend and I found an apartment and my dad is doing soo much better I am so happy he survived that.. thank you all again!

Ntombi 05-27-2013 02:34 PM

I'm really glad to hear things are looking up! :hugs:

Trillex 05-29-2013 10:30 AM

I'm so happy to hear that things are better for you and your family! HUGS!

asosanko 05-31-2013 06:10 PM

Thank you guys so much your kindness and caring thoughts mean the world <3


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:27 PM.