Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Targeted fat loss?

Hello group,
I'm losing weight with JUDDD, and I'm happy with my progress. I've never really listed or toned specifically before as I'd pretty much depended on my active lifestyle to keep me tone & in shape. (And it worked...pre-baby!)
I'm researching methods of strength training and toning. I'm wondering, though, if there is a way to target fat loss through strength training.
For example, my tummy pooch? If I work harder on core strength, will that help burn belly fat faster or will I just have stronger abs under the slowly melting flab?
I've also got some lovely saddle bags and a less-than-ideal bum. As I lose, I realize things will shrink but if I target those areas with strength training, will that help lose fat in those areas faster or will it just help lose overall fat faster as I'm increasing my lean muscle & metabolism?
I hope what I'm asking makes sense!
Thanks

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it's big business trying to convince people they can "spot reduce" like that, but the fact is, exercise shapes your muscles but does not burn fat in a particular area. reading the science is clear on this. that's why liposuction and stuff like that are popular.

but you can look much better and probably be happy with your body without that, and good luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I'm researching methods of strength training and toning. I'm wondering, though, if there is a way to target fat loss through strength training.
For example, my tummy pooch? If I work harder on core strength, will that help burn belly fat faster or will I just have stronger abs under the slowly melting flab?
When bodyfat is released from fat cells it goes into general circulation through the bloodstream. Unfortunately, there is no direct conduit between the fat cells in a specific area and the adjacent muscle tissue. The subcutaneous fat tissue that is stored under the skin on your abdomen, for example, is served by a different set of capillaries than the veins that serve the muscles of your abdomen. So, when fat is released from your tummy area, it goes into the bloodstream and is burned by whatever tissues need that energy. Those released fatty acids might be burned by your thighs or your biceps or possibly your tummy, depending on which tissues get it and use it first.

There was an interesting Danish study a few years ago in which researchers tried to establish whether or not more fat would be released from a particular area when that area was being "spot" exercised.
Are blood flow and lipolysis in subcutaneous adipose tissue influenced by contractions in adjacent muscles in humans?
http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/292/2/E394.long
The study subjects exercised one leg while the other leg rested and the researchers measured the level of blood flow and the level of fat release in the area that was being exercised. Then they compared the level of blood flow and fat release in the exercised leg to the non-exercised leg. The study *did* find that both blood flow and fat release were increased in the leg that was being exercised, *but* that the amount of additional fat that was released from the exercised leg was TINY. Over the course of 30 minutes of exercise, less than 1/10 of 1 gram of extra fat was released from the exercised leg. The leg that was being exercised was burning more fat than the leg that was not being exercised but the fat it burned came from all over the body, including fat that was released from the non-exercised leg. When exercise stimulates the body to release fat, it is a systemic hormonal response that sends fat release signals throughout the entire body.

In the study report, the researchers also note that the tiny amount of additional fat that was released from the exercised leg could possibly be replaced when the exercise is over, when the fat that wasn't burned during the workout is "re-esterified" and restored to fat cells.
Based on the present results, it cannot be foreseen if specific exercises can induce spot reduction, since triacylglycerol (TG) stores could be fully replenished or even supercompensated between exercise sessions.
Releasing fat from storage doesn't actually remove the fat from the body until it is burned, so any fat that isn't burned will be put back into storage and the body seems to favor re-balancing fat storage across the body following exercise. This study report cited another study of the fat level on the arms of professional tennis players, as measured by skinfold measurements. Tennis players generally work one arm more than the other but the fat level on both arms was essentially equal in the tennis players they studied, so there was no perceptible long-term fat-reducing advantage to working one arm harder than the other.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Wow, Trillex, thanks for posting that. I think a lot of people who have gained a significant amount of body fat over the years, find that it goes on evenly relatively speaking but seems to come off unevenly. This leaves particular problem areas such as the saddlebags and tummy. I know for me, 45lbs ago, I seemed to have a better shaped body believe it or not. At about the 25lb loss mark, I didn't like my body, I had cellulite and saddlebags, and a very lean upper body. Now I am down to the last 2-5lbs and the two large fat deposits I have left, most of the cellulite is gone and my body has a better shape. But it is the uneven fat loss that has caused the most unhappiness. I probably would have stayed at the 25lb mark if it weren't for that.

Anyways, OP, what you are talking about is body recomposition. Your weight is in the healthy range, but you have a couple of problem areas you don't like. That requires reducing your overall body fat percentage. The best way is combining a lot of low intensity exercise (ie. just being physically active) with some weight training or strength training. The strength training doesn't really do much for fat loss but it will help give you shapely muscles that once you have reduced your body fat will give you a nice look. You can also carry more body fat if you have muscle. In some cases, it also helps preserve lean body mass as you lose weight, but that is more of a diet issue, for when the calories are too low. People who lose at a slow rate, don't need to worry about that as much.

Last edited by Punkin; 04-05-2013 at 04:59 AM..
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Trillex,
Thank you! This is exactly the answer I was looking for. Guess I'll keep on keeping on!
Best wishes!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote