Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Muscle Matters! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/muscle-matters/)
-   -   Working out on VLC (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/muscle-matters/801170-working-out-vlc.html)

SchoolPsych1979 04-03-2013 09:12 AM

Working out on VLC

I am down 11 pounds since last Mon, the 25th! And I started to consistently lose 1 pound a day when I cut out the bars. Which I am happy and sad about bc I loved them but will maybe eat them when I am closer to maintenance.

I am not on Atkins, per se. I follow the general principles. But I basically just eat low carb without regard to calories, really. I eat a lot of cheese, HWC, protein, fat, mayo, etc. I drink about 2 diet cokes a day, one will be caffeine free. I'll have about a cup of sugar free jello at night mixed with heavy cream to make a mousse. I want to start working out next week and I will be doing Turbofire, which is cardio kickboxing. It is an hour a day/6 days a week. I know some of you may be thinking it's a lot but I will actually be doing a modified, less intense version of the program for the first month. As of today, I have energy. I get my withdrawal symptoms in the afternoon, but maybe it's just because I am tired from work. So basically my question is, Do you think I need to change anything in my diet so that I last on my workouts? Any recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

raindroproses 04-03-2013 09:43 AM

I think you should be fine! Just make sure you keep your sodium intake up and are replacing those electrolytes you'll be losing when you sweat... many people drink broth before and/or after working out to help with the sodium replacement, so that's a thought to consider! Also, if you're not eating potassium rich foods you may want to begin taking a potassium supplement as well if you don't already. Women lose more potassium than men when they sweat, but everyone loses a bit of it. Definitely check with a pharmacist first if you're taking anything that may interact with vitamins/supplements... but I myself take a multivitamin, magnesium, and potassium every day and I've found that it's helped me :) Rule of thumb too, is if you start noticing any headaches or muscle cramps? Your electrolytes probably need some looking at! Do be careful with not giving yourself many "off" days as well, because our muscles generally need some time to heal in between working out... you'll probably be a bit sore for a while, and be prepared for a possible bounce in the scale as well, because when we work out hard our muscles tend to retain water while they're in that healing process!

Also be sure you're getting enough protein in :) I'm not sure what else you eat during the day, but obviously cheese has some protein in it... for your goal weight of 145 you should be getting around 99g of protein daily. At your current weight your allowance is obviously slightly higher, so I'd aim for somewhere between 100g-120g per day if you can. This will ensure that your body is getting enough protein and you don't start burning lean muscle instead of fat!

SchoolPsych1979 04-03-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16352501)
I think you should be fine! Just make sure you keep your sodium intake up and are replacing those electrolytes you'll be losing when you sweat... many people drink broth before and/or after working out to help with the sodium replacement, so that's a thought to consider! Also, if you're not eating potassium rich foods you may want to begin taking a potassium supplement as well if you don't already. Women lose more potassium than men when they sweat, but everyone loses a bit of it. Definitely check with a pharmacist first if you're taking anything that may interact with vitamins/supplements... but I myself take a multivitamin, magnesium, and potassium every day and I've found that it's helped me :) Rule of thumb too, is if you start noticing any headaches or muscle cramps? Your electrolytes probably need some looking at! Do be careful with not giving yourself many "off" days as well, because our muscles generally need some time to heal in between working out... you'll probably be a bit sore for a while, and be prepared for a possible bounce in the scale as well, because when we work out hard our muscles tend to retain water while they're in that healing process!

Also be sure you're getting enough protein in :) I'm not sure what else you eat during the day, but obviously cheese has some protein in it... for your goal weight of 145 you should be getting around 99g of protein daily. At your current weight your allowance is obviously slightly higher, so I'd aim for somewhere between 100g-120g per day if you can. This will ensure that your body is getting enough protein and you don't start burning lean muscle instead of fat!

Thanks for that! Right now I am on Iron and a prental vitamin because I am anemic. But since I've been on Iron and the prenatal, I have felt 110% better. I started taking those in Oct.

Going to try not to weight during the first week of working out so I won't freak out!
Yes, I eat a ton of protein. Almost every meal. Ground beef, steak, eggs, chicken, salmon, etc.
Thanks for advice

Ntombi 04-03-2013 11:34 AM

When I was able to exercise, I didn't modify my food intake at all. I did high intensity weight training while on an extended induction with no issues. Yes, monitor your electrolytes.

Knittering 04-03-2013 11:41 AM

The only change I made when I started exercising was adding more water. :)

SchoolPsych1979 04-03-2013 11:48 AM

Thank you!

avid 04-03-2013 11:55 AM

I eat <50g of carb pretty consistantly day in, day out.
I have been exercising using weights and some cardio for the past 7 months being low carb the whole time.
I have never had any problems. I am consistantly gaining strength and muscle mass without "protein shakes" or any body building type supplements what so ever.
I feel great...am still losing weight even though I'm gaining muscle.
I'm 63 years old, so weight loss and muscle gains take a little longer for me now,
but I'm in no hurry. There is really no specific outcome I'm looking for I just want to be as strong and fit and healthy as possible.
The journey is the joy. Sexy seniors rock :sing:

SchoolPsych1979 04-03-2013 12:23 PM

So no issues with energy, huh? That is good to know!

Punkin 04-03-2013 01:43 PM

Try to keep your workouts in the fat burning zone, that is at a conversational pace. 6hrs/week should be ok. Its usually above the 7hr a week mark when exercise can start working against you. I personally don't find the same things as everyone else with respect to energy on LC. I had a lot more energy and better recovery time on high carb, so it probably depends on the type of exercise and individual metabolism. You might have to space out your workouts if you aren't doing any higher carb days.

avid 04-03-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16352834)
So no issues with energy, huh? That is good to know!

None. I've said it other posts on this subject, that I find my energy level and my ability to engage in intense workouts is more related to rest/sleep than to my diet.
Like I said, I've been on less than 50 carbs a day the whole time i've been working out. If I am rested, I'm good to go for an intense workout. If not, I'll do a light workout. I absolutely listen to my body. I push myself, but not to excess.
It's been said by others and I agree that when it comes to metabolism YMMV is the rule. What may work for me may not work for you. I am glad to say however that LC has no effect on my workout routines.
P.S. I also don't notice any connection between exercise and weight loss. I will or will not lose on any given day. Whether it's following a workout day or not seems to have absolutely no bearing.
good luck to you. I think that a lc woe combined with a healthy fitness routine is the key to health and happiness.

Ntombi 04-03-2013 09:16 PM

No energy issues for me either, and I was at or under 20g of carbs daily.