Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Muscle Matters! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/muscle-matters/)
-   -   Is there anyway to avoid muscle pain if you think you "overdid it" at the gym? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/muscle-matters/800451-there-anyway-avoid-muscle-pain-if-you-think-you-overdid-gym.html)

spaceace 03-27-2013 08:46 AM

Is there anyway to avoid muscle pain if you think you "overdid it" at the gym?

I started today, after about 4 months off, and that included working out. I think I overdid it ,and I want to feel good enough to work out tomorrow.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to try to avoid muscle pains tomorrow? Supplements, massage, anything? Warm bath, cold bath? Spin in a circle three times? Ouiji Board?

Thanks!

anglgrl 03-27-2013 10:21 AM

Cold bath. Ice. Compression.

ravenrose 03-27-2013 10:43 AM

hydrocodone? I suppose that's not what you meant! LOL

biancasteeplechase 03-27-2013 10:45 AM

You can get that delayed-onset muscle soreness without overdoing anything. Sometimes it's best just to keep working through it.

Sharp "I injured something" pains shouldn't be worked through, but those aches in the muscles that start later, and make you grown when you move, aren't going to be that kind of problem.

CTH 03-27-2013 10:02 PM

I swear by Epsom salt. Put a few cups in the bath and soak for 20-30 minutes before bed.

Advil works well for me too.... My trainer also recommended for me to hit the sauna for 10 minutes after each work out.

spaceace 03-28-2013 11:46 AM

Thanks - I just fought through it. I am only sore in my chest, I just went back to the gym and just took it light in that area - thanks!

nick 04-01-2013 12:34 PM

have you ever heard of DOMS look it up it gets better with time training ive always used ibuprofin and cold bath as the 1st couple of times back at gym kills next day or two.

inatic 04-01-2013 08:38 PM

epson salt bath and more movement to keep the blood flowing.

avid 04-02-2013 05:00 AM

better yet,
don't over do it.
Seriously. I love the gym. I go between 3 and 5 times a week.
But the gym is a place where serious injuries can happen.
Listen to your body. Pain is message that says "stop doing this"
better to back off the training a little than to get really hurt, suffer with the pain,
and be forced to stay away for weeks instead of days.

TerriMM 04-15-2013 10:17 PM

Potassium! I keep a bottle in my cupboard at all times. But the key is to take it right after, before you get sore. And second on the Epson salt bath ;)

avid 04-16-2013 07:22 AM

Even being careful is sometimes not enough.
I have had some bad shoulder pain this past week.
I believe it was due to muscle imbalance in my shoulders aggravated by
overhead lifting (military press) with the barbell.
I have stayed away from the gym all week, which is very frustrating for me.
I went back yesterday to do some core work, but it's hard to resist the weight machines.
I was good though, I only did some rotator cuff exercises (as per various youtube channels) with the bands that my gym supplies.
I'll go back today to do more of the same.
There is a difference between the soreness one feels from a good workout and the pain that comes with an injury.
Good luck for safe, effective workouts.

CTH 04-16-2013 08:48 AM

I just recently increased my potassium intake. I was hesitant to take 1potassium capsule per day (99mg) but after I read that a banana has 420mg, the human body needs 2000-2500mg per day and a low-carb diet with exercise seriously depletes potassium and other electrolytes, I have no problem taking the equivalent of a banana per day, including cal/mag supplements.