Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigsaw
Stats: 252/191.5/180(mini goal) sz 24/18/?
WOE: Metabolism/Diabetes Miracle-step2
Start Date: 12/26/2012
Building muscle for increasing metabolism

I'm thinking of starting a weight training regimen at home, I do have a full weight machine. I was curios, has anyone seen really good results with raising their metabolism, and in turn burning more fat (muscles more sensative to insulin.)? I'm very insulin resistant and diabetic, and have been doing just cardio which doesn't seem to be making my muscles more sesative. Would this help in the long run? Any information on this would be appreciated.
Jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
I just looked at some studies about that and it looks like the best way to inprove insulin
resistance is low to moderat cardio being best for insulin resistance. Like walking a total
of 3 hours a week was better than running 1 & 1/2 hour per week. Then weight training
also helps insulin resistance some and it's best to do both of them.

Now here is something interesting large doses of vitamin C & E will block any inprovement in insulin sensitivity from exercise. Also eating before exercise also
keeps your muscles from geting more sensitive to insulin.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Oh, I have! I hate cardio (sorry!) but do like the improvements in my body with weight lifting. I have the worlds simplest, fastest routine: 30 man pushups, 30 reps on rowing machine, 30 incline situps, 30 incline leg presses, 60 calf presses. I have more muscle at 50 than I did at 20! But I do have a huge help from BHRT. There is testosterone in my BHRT and it makes a huge difference. I also take 200mg of Now 7-Keto DHEA. My hormone doc said today he can really see the difference in my levels since the 7-Keto. Possibly if you are not a menopausal woman interested in hormone replacement, the 7-Keto may be a help. My metabolism is most definitely higher now than in my 20's and I am sure it is the muscle mass.

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thank you both so much for posting. I've been doing cardio 3 times a week since july and walking almost daily as well and seem to be just as insulin resistance as ever. It is good to hear that wt. training can help! Adding that in starting tomorrow! thanks guys!

Would love to hear other peoples' experiences as well
Old 03-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
I've been doing cardio 3 times a week
What cardio, exactly? I think you should pick up some weights, definitely, but not ditch the cardio.
I would rather do HIIT if you have been doing long slow cardio so far and just add some strenght training.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

For cardio I do 45 minutes 3x a week, alternating between my exercise videos (firm, slim in 6, or zumba wii). I did that jillian Michael's 30 day shred, but by the 7th day of part 2 my knees just couldn't take it anymore, they got all swollen and sore. She says people who weigh 300 lbs can do jumping jacks, I say not without your knees screaming! Ouch that hurt!

So like I said, I think I should throw in some weight lifting, I hope it will help.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I think cardio is least amount of bang for your buck. 20 minutes of weight lifting, to me, is going to produce more results. And weight lifting will get your heart rate up.
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Oh, I have! I hate cardio (sorry!) but do like the improvements in my body with weight lifting. I have the worlds simplest, fastest routine: 30 man pushups, 30 reps on rowing machine, 30 incline situps, 30 incline leg presses, 60 calf presses. I have more muscle at 50 than I did at 20! But I do have a huge help from BHRT. There is testosterone in my BHRT and it makes a huge difference. I also take 200mg of Now 7-Keto DHEA. My hormone doc said today he can really see the difference in my levels since the 7-Keto. Possibly if you are not a menopausal woman interested in hormone replacement, the 7-Keto may be a help. My metabolism is most definitely higher now than in my 20's and I am sure it is the muscle mass.

Definitely begin a weight lifting program to increase lean (muscle) mass. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism, even while at rest. Cardio does not build appreciable muscle. In fact, if overdone, it can actually eat away at hard-earned muscle. Cardio has its place for fat burning, but to raise your metabolism, not just "burn calories," you really do need to build muscle.

A body that is lean and muscular is not only going to burn more fat/cals on a daily basis, you will be stronger, have more energy, less injury-prone, and because of the changes in your body's composition, you will have far more body confidence. The number on the scale doesn't tell the whole story. The amount of muscle you build does. It's what you SEE in the mirror and in your clothes. You can't get that with cardio alone.

Start small, work your way up progressively, and commit to 2-3 x a week of weight lifting.

Another option is to work a cardio circuit into your weight lifting routine. Working 3-4 different muscle groups at a time, you perform each set for each muscle group in succession with little or no rest between sets; rest for a minte or two, then repeat the circuit again for a total of 3-4 sets, which builds the muscle AND gets your heart rate up, (metabolic fat-burning, calorie-burning torch session), so you're accomplishing both at the same time. For circuits, you'd want to use light to moderate weights initially.

Best of luck to you.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
The best exercise to do is low intensity "fat burning" exercise as well as weight training. High intensity exercise such as interval training or the kind that makes your breathe heavy doesn't have benefits for most people with diabetes and insulin resistance. Just do the physical exercise you enjoy, even if it means going out for a walk on a nice day, and also if you can lift some weights that would be great. You can start weight lifting later though as you get closer to goal. There's no rush to get onto the weight training plan right away, you can get benefits from weight training in as little as 3 months.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post

Definitely begin a weight lifting program to increase lean (muscle) mass. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism, even while at rest. Cardio does not build appreciable muscle. In fact, if overdone, it can actually eat away at hard-earned muscle. Cardio has its place for fat burning, but to raise your metabolism, not just "burn calories," you really do need to build muscle.

A body that is lean and muscular is not only going to burn more fat/cals on a daily basis, you will be stronger, have more energy, less injury-prone, and because of the changes in your body's composition, you will have far more body confidence. The number on the scale doesn't tell the whole story. The amount of muscle you build does. It's what you SEE in the mirror and in your clothes. You can't get that with cardio alone.

Start small, work your way up progressively, and commit to 2-3 x a week of weight lifting.

Another option is to work a cardio circuit into your weight lifting routine. Working 3-4 different muscle groups at a time, you perform each set for each muscle group in succession with little or no rest between sets; rest for a minte or two, then repeat the circuit again for a total of 3-4 sets, which builds the muscle AND gets your heart rate up, (metabolic fat-burning, calorie-burning torch session), so you're accomplishing both at the same time. For circuits, you'd want to use light to moderate weights initially.

Best of luck to you.

avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Sorry I should mention that any exercise will reduce your blood sugar levels if you are struggling with high blood sugar, but I would be careful with higher intensity exercise and make sure you are monitoring you glucose levels on days when you do it. 30-45min weight sessions and low intensity exercise won't drop your blood sugar that much as high intensity exercise. But that also depends on the person. For example I did an hour workout session which I thought was at a moderate level last weekend and it dropped my blood sugar down to 2.4mmol later in the day. It surprised me because in my mind it didn't seem that difficult. I don't know what you're blood sugar is like but I have tendencies towards hypoglycemia, instead of high blood sugar. If you are on medication that lowers your blood sugar you probably need to worry more than someone who isn't.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 99fenix
i do about 30-60 minutes of weight training mon-fri. cardio M/W/F. The type of cardio is like HITT. It requires only 16 minutes of cardio (recumbent bike or elliptical). Each sessions you are to push it to beat the last time/distance. I put the machine on a rolling hill interval and each week I go up 1+ resistance. So for example Monday I did two miles in 15:53, Wednesday two miles in 15:38, and Friday I did it in 15:35. This was on the elliptical and 5+ resistance. The research suggests that doing this for only two days a week with the intensity in better for you then 5 days a week at regular 30 minute stride. I just started this routine this past Monday, so I will happily record it for yall. Results in 3 weeks. High fat burner while it has the ability to build leg muscle at the same time. Again, this is what I have read and putting the theory to the test. You can read up on it. Google MAX-OT Cardio.
99fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JayF
I've been a hardcore lifter for 15 yrs and I can attest to its effectiveness. I have recently dropped 40 lbs after my winter bulk ( and gluttony ... Lol) with weigh training only. Zero cardio. Your diet does however have to be on point. I have followed a <50 carb diet with the majority of my macros coming from healthy fats and protein. Oddly enough, my strength goes up when low carbing
JayF is offline   Reply With Quote