Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Abdul1993
Stats: 165/150/150
WOE: 25-30 grams of carbs a day
Start Date: 1/24/12
Carbing up

What type of carbs do people usually carb up with before working out or exercising, does it matter? Also how much and how long before working out should I be taking the carbs? Thank you
Abdul1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Who says you need to? Lots of people do very well doing strenuous exercise without "carbing up."
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Not to be rude, but I guess I am in the minority then. My endurance has suffered greatly since I started a low carb diet. So, I'd be one of the few who does need to carb up. Also, since I'm not in ketosis, I don't have ketones to give me energy either. (if that's how it works)
Old 03-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RileyWorm
I eat brown rice mostly. Oatmeal too. Rarely potato or sweet potato. I think berries and bananas are good for people who work out alot too. Though I am no way an expert or very experienced. Maybe some others will pipe in.
I had energy when doing low carb, and I could work out well enough, but find it's much much better now that I've incorporated carbs again.
RileyWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul1993 View Post
Not to be rude, but I guess I am in the minority then. My endurance has suffered greatly since I started a low carb diet. So, I'd be one of the few who does need to carb up. Also, since I'm not in ketosis, I don't have ketones to give me energy either. (if that's how it works)
Many here are avid exercisers and even marathon runners who are LC. I alas, am not one of them. I never felt well on LC, even after trying for 6 months so I am in the same boat as you. I usually work out between breakfast and lunch. My breakfast is very commonly 2 eggs and 2 slices of gluten free bread an 1 1/2 tablespoons of homemade, full sugar jelly. That will carry me thru a workout. Lunch is frequently a chicken and avocado wrap so a good amount of protein after the workout. I find this works for me. It was a trial and error thing. In the summer, or at least when it is warmer than this, I like a protein shake made with casien/whey protein powder, unsweetened almond breeze and 2 cups of frozen berries.

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Not everybody benefits from being LC. Many bodybuilders do what is called carb cycling. But that is for fat loss AND muscle growth. I can't do carb cycling because diabetes and metabolic syndrome run in my family. But if I could, I would. The insulin response from carb addition helps build muscle mass, and if you aren't highly carb sensitive, you can benefit from it.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
Not everybody benefits from being LC. Many bodybuilders do what is called carb cycling. But that is for fat loss AND muscle growth. I can't do carb cycling because diabetes and metabolic syndrome run in my family. But if I could, I would. The insulin response from carb addition helps build muscle mass, and if you aren't highly carb sensitive, you can benefit from it.
What is carb cycling? I will research into it. And my parents have diabetes, so would I be unable to do it also? Lastly, how do I know if I'm carb sensitive or not?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What is carb cycling? I will research into it. And my parents have diabetes, so would I be unable to do it also? Lastly, how do I know if I'm carb sensitive or not?
Carb cycling is basically a ketogenic diet. Ie. LC for most of the week, then for 1 to 2 days you switch to a HC, LF diet to restock your muscle glycogen. Weight training is fueled almost 100% from muscle glycogen. So that is why bodybuilders do it. It is to maximize muscle growth will losing bodyfat. Google Lyle McDonald. He is basically the father of those type of diets.

The problem with carb cycling for people who have issues with blood sugar and insulin, is that it might be hard on the body because you have to eat a lot of carbs, although, I think it might be possible if the carbs were spread evenly through the day, over several small meals. I don't think it takes a lot of carbs to load up on enough muscle glycogen.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
There are LOTS of methods of carb cycling. If you scroll down a few links on the Muscle Matters page, you will find a post that addresses carb cycling.

Another way that I find helpful (which I currently practice), is eating very little carbs (50 or under) 2-3 days a week, and 100-150 on lifting days. So it's a carb cycle, carb rotation, call it what you will. It helps to keep my energy up while lifting/building, and it helps to keep fat loss consistent as well. I find I feel better and more balanced, have more energy, etc., when I have low and high days throughout the week.

There are low, med and high carb days. You have to play with it, experiment, and see what works for you. You don't necessarily have to go with the CKD method (as described in the link below) if that seems daunting to you.

Carb cycling works best for people who lift progressively, intensely, and regularly -- 3-4 x a week. The more intense your workout, the more you may find that cycling carbs will be of benefit to you.

Try it on for size.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
Google Lyle McDonald. He is basically the father of those type of diets.
I have a tremendous amount of respect for Lyle McDonald but cycling is not his innovation. Mauro di Pasquale, Michael Zumpano, and especially Dan Duchaine are the fathers of contemporary bodybuilding carb cycling. McDonald credits Di Pasquale, Duchaine, and Zumpano in his books, The Ketogenic Diet and Ultimate Diet 2.0 (UD2). Duchaine died and so McDonald, who had been Duchaine's most obsessed student, stepped in and took over Duchaine's role as bodybuilding's detail nerd and stubborn visionary. McDonald's UD2 basically builds on Duchaine's BodyOpus program. McDonald's original research and experimentation journals with BodyOpus are still available online. That research and those experiments are the background for much of McDonald's later work on nutrition.

Duchaine was an extraordinarily gifted visionary who voraciously read all sorts of different medical research and who could see connections between things that other people couldn't see. Duchaine figured out the optimal timing windows for depletion and re-feeds. He figured out a way to move from liquid sugar re-feeds to starches, to preferentially and efficiently super-compensate muscle glycogen. Duchaine trained champions so he knew the training gaps that drugs couldn't fill and he figured out ways to use tweaks with nutrition to elevate cutting potential beyond the historic limits.

I know Duchaine isn't an important detail. But I want Duchaine to be remembered (for something besides his felony record for trafficking bodybuilding drugs) because he's one of history's stone-cold flyest characters.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/174/168; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD 100+ g protein
Start Date: 6/7/12
I occasionally carb up. The trick to not gaining a ton of water weight after doing it is to keep your fats low. I try to keep under 50 g of fat. I do allow myself to eat no-nos during this time, but I find that I'm typically just plain super excited about having healthy things like oatmeal.

I admit I'm no expert. lol

Last edited by jenericstewart; 03-29-2013 at 07:03 AM..
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I have a tremendous amount of respect for Lyle McDonald but cycling is not his innovation. Mauro di Pasquale, Michael Zumpano, and especially Dan Duchaine are the fathers of contemporary bodybuilding carb cycling. McDonald credits Di Pasquale, Duchaine, and Zumpano in his books, The Ketogenic Diet and Ultimate Diet 2.0 (UD2). Duchaine died and so McDonald, who had been Duchaine's most obsessed student, stepped in and took over Duchaine's role as bodybuilding's detail nerd and stubborn visionary. McDonald's UD2 basically builds on Duchaine's BodyOpus program. McDonald's original research and experimentation journals with BodyOpus are still available online. That research and those experiments are the background for much of McDonald's later work on nutrition.

Duchaine was an extraordinarily gifted visionary who voraciously read all sorts of different medical research and who could see connections between things that other people couldn't see. Duchaine figured out the optimal timing windows for depletion and re-feeds. He figured out a way to move from liquid sugar re-feeds to starches, to preferentially and efficiently super-compensate muscle glycogen. Duchaine trained champions so he knew the training gaps that drugs couldn't fill and he figured out ways to use tweaks with nutrition to elevate cutting potential beyond the historic limits.

I know Duchaine isn't an important detail. But I want Duchaine to be remembered (for something besides his felony record for trafficking bodybuilding drugs) because he's one of history's stone-cold flyest characters.
Sorry, I am pretty new to it myself, I have just spent a lot of time on Lyle's site and you're right. People don't know the other's as well, it is good to point that out for the newbies, like myself
Old 03-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

My goal is to stay lean year round, because I have two competitive seasons, winter and summer. I need to build some lean body mass, so I am actually going to try refilling my glycogen stores without having to do carb ups. Who knows if it is going to work, but it is worth a try. I am not quite at goal yet, but I'm going to start probably in a month or so.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:03 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I'm one who doesn't add carbs for work outs.
I find that my endurance and energy levels are more connected to sleep/rest than to diet.
I stay in ketosis pretty much all the time.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote