Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
BCAA, timing question and how much.

I am doing some mild lifting but trying to ramp it up a bit. Not competition but am increasing my weights and looking adding muscle to my upper body and lower body strengthening and overall fat loss . I am a small framed female, 5'7", 124 pounds. I keep seeing BCAA supplements popping up on all of the body building websites. Without doing much research, I grabbed a bottle of GNC's Amino Burst 3000. I tried to figure how much I would need to take. A 200 pound man, I read, needs 18 grams so I figured I would need 9 grams but when reading the label, what are they measuring? The protein content is 3 grams (L-Carantine 15mg) . Is that what they are referring to? Is there something special in the supplement that isn't in a whey protein drink?

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 03:34 AM   #2
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I take bcaa in the morning either with breakfast or in a hot drink.. (I drinkhot lemon water or ginger tea) with l glutamine .. mine are just in powder form and I take a teaspoon in both... I'm not small like you but I'm 5'8 154 s, and trying to build muscle and lose fat... I don't see a huge advantage yet but I think it helps with craving, and believe it or not I'm in a better mood!
I do turbo jam in the morning andI chalean extreme at night...
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eoin
I use BCAAs too, but only during training instead of water. Sorry I can't be any more help.
Eoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I am doing some mild lifting but trying to ramp it up a bit. Not competition but am increasing my weights and looking adding muscle to my upper body and lower body strengthening and overall fat loss . I am a small framed female, 5'7", 124 pounds. I keep seeing BCAA supplements popping up on all of the body building websites. Without doing much research, I grabbed a bottle of GNC's Amino Burst 3000. I tried to figure how much I would need to take. A 200 pound man, I read, needs 18 grams so I figured I would need 9 grams but when reading the label, what are they measuring? The protein content is 3 grams (L-Carantine 15mg) . Is that what they are referring to? Is there something special in the supplement that isn't in a whey protein drink?
Cindy, BCAA's are helpful for preserving balance and optimal recovery in your body particularly when strength training and dieting. BCAA's help to provide extra energy intraworkout, preserve and build muscle, and assist in recovery.

I use 1-2 scoops on my training days. For fasted morning cardio, I sip on 1-1.5 scoops in ice water.

I use Scivation's Xtend (grape) -- my favorite. It is both sugar free and carb free.

Highly recommend taking BCAA's.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Cindy, BCAA's are helpful for preserving balance and optimal recovery in your body particularly when strength training and dieting. BCAA's help to provide extra energy intraworkout, preserve and build muscle, and assist in recovery.

I use 1-2 scoops on my training days. For fasted morning cardio, I sip on 1-1.5 scoops in ice water.

I use Scivation's Xtend (grape) -- my favorite. It is both sugar free and carb free.

Highly recommend taking BCAA's.
I will check out that brand. Thanks.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
if you're eating meals, no need for BCAA's. Some might use it if training fasted.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote