Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Muscle Matters! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/muscle-matters/)
-   -   BCAA, timing question and how much. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/muscle-matters/797505-bcaa-timing-question-how-much.html)

CindyCRNA 02-20-2013 06:25 AM

BCAA, timing question and how much.

I am doing some mild lifting but trying to ramp it up a bit. Not competition but am increasing my weights and looking adding muscle to my upper body and lower body strengthening and overall fat loss . I am a small framed female, 5'7", 124 pounds. I keep seeing BCAA supplements popping up on all of the body building websites. Without doing much research, I grabbed a bottle of GNC's Amino Burst 3000. I tried to figure how much I would need to take. A 200 pound man, I read, needs 18 grams so I figured I would need 9 grams but when reading the label, what are they measuring? The protein content is 3 grams (L-Carantine 15mg) . Is that what they are referring to? Is there something special in the supplement that isn't in a whey protein drink?

QueenBacon 02-21-2013 03:34 AM

I take bcaa in the morning either with breakfast or in a hot drink.. (I drinkhot lemon water or ginger tea) with l glutamine .. mine are just in powder form and I take a teaspoon in both... I'm not small like you but I'm 5'8 154 s, and trying to build muscle and lose fat... I don't see a huge advantage yet but I think it helps with craving, and believe it or not I'm in a better mood!
I do turbo jam in the morning andI chalean extreme at night...

Eoin 02-21-2013 07:08 AM

I use BCAAs too, but only during training instead of water. Sorry I can't be any more help.

WATCH-ME-SHRINK 02-21-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CindyCRNA (Post 16269316)
I am doing some mild lifting but trying to ramp it up a bit. Not competition but am increasing my weights and looking adding muscle to my upper body and lower body strengthening and overall fat loss . I am a small framed female, 5'7", 124 pounds. I keep seeing BCAA supplements popping up on all of the body building websites. Without doing much research, I grabbed a bottle of GNC's Amino Burst 3000. I tried to figure how much I would need to take. A 200 pound man, I read, needs 18 grams so I figured I would need 9 grams but when reading the label, what are they measuring? The protein content is 3 grams (L-Carantine 15mg) . Is that what they are referring to? Is there something special in the supplement that isn't in a whey protein drink?

Cindy, BCAA's are helpful for preserving balance and optimal recovery in your body particularly when strength training and dieting. BCAA's help to provide extra energy intraworkout, preserve and build muscle, and assist in recovery.

I use 1-2 scoops on my training days. For fasted morning cardio, I sip on 1-1.5 scoops in ice water.

I use Scivation's Xtend (grape) -- my favorite. It is both sugar free and carb free.

Highly recommend taking BCAA's.

CindyCRNA 02-21-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK (Post 16272055)
Cindy, BCAA's are helpful for preserving balance and optimal recovery in your body particularly when strength training and dieting. BCAA's help to provide extra energy intraworkout, preserve and build muscle, and assist in recovery.

I use 1-2 scoops on my training days. For fasted morning cardio, I sip on 1-1.5 scoops in ice water.

I use Scivation's Xtend (grape) -- my favorite. It is both sugar free and carb free.

Highly recommend taking BCAA's.

I will check out that brand. Thanks.

inatic 03-03-2013 07:11 PM

if you're eating meals, no need for BCAA's. Some might use it if training fasted.