Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Muscle Matters! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/muscle-matters/)
-   -   Before workout meal.... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/muscle-matters/792646-before-workout-meal.html)

qwertyui 01-02-2013 01:06 PM

Before workout meal....

I work out three days a week with a trainer. I must eat something before I go. I usually eat a little something low carb, like a couple of eggs, or something, but no matter what I eat I end up with awful heartburn.

Any thoughts of what I could eat and not get this pain?

Thanks!

svenskamae 01-02-2013 04:05 PM

I don't have anything specific to suggest, since I stopped having heartburn once I stopped eating many carbs. You might just have to experiment and see what works for you. You've tried high protein/low fat, like hard-boiled eggs, and get heartburn. How about something small and highfat, like a couple of tablespoons of coconut butter or almond butter or a diet soda with a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream added to it? Have you tried highfat/relatively low protein, instead?

wiz 01-02-2013 06:30 PM

I run in the mornings, usually 5 miles or so. I really prefer to go on an empty stomach, I just feel better - not so weighed down. But every once in a while, when my run will be later in the day, I find that yogurt is just the ticket. Not too much food, but enough to tide me over.

Good luck with your workouts!!

qwertyui 01-02-2013 08:36 PM

Maybe I'll try some fatbombs and see if there is a difference. It really hinders my performance. I want to work my butt in there, and when there is acid shooting up your throat, you kinda wanna take it a little easy!

Thank you for your suggestions.

ab1ht 01-03-2013 09:06 AM

What you eat may not be as important as when you eat. Have you tried spacing out the time between eating and working out?

Even thought you're low carb, remember that fruit is not all evil. I suggest something light (strawberries and some nuts) about 45 minutes before.

qwertyui 01-03-2013 10:04 AM

ab1ht - Thanks! I try to eat about 1 hour before working out. Today I had 2 boiled eggs, no coffee. Searing heartburn.

I am thinking of making some fatbombs over the weekend and seeing if that is better. I have tried working out on an empty stomach and I am too weak. I need something in me. This has been going on for quite a while.

Perhaps I'll try a shake with a little protein powder, a couple of strawberries, a shot of whipping cream. See if that is better. Sounds good!

lynnport 01-03-2013 02:42 PM

I almost always get heartburn from eggs, unless they're cooked in a casserole.

jhbyrd 01-03-2013 02:47 PM

I exercize in the morning (5 am weekdays and first thing on Weekend)and I never eat before, it makes me feel sick.:sick:

gladee88er 01-03-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab1ht (Post 16168367)
What you eat may not be as important as when you eat. Have you tried spacing out the time between eating and working out?

Even thought you're low carb, remember that fruit is not all evil. I suggest something light (strawberries and some nuts) about 45 minutes before.

I don't like any protein too close to the workout. When I was training in the evenings, I found eating an apple about an hour before really helped my energy in the gym when going real LC the rest of the day.

tytbody 01-27-2013 07:26 PM

Coffee an give you heart burn. Do a smoothie and still wait. A green smoothie no milk almond milk

Eoin 01-30-2013 07:21 AM

I have had bad heartburn exercising after eggs, even over an hour after. When I exercise in the morning I'll drink water, but won't eat anything. You get used to it. If I'm training later in the day I'll try to eat something light 1.5hrs or more before. Works so far for me.

tytbody 01-30-2013 10:14 AM

eoin, sounds like you could have an allergy to eggs. why not stop eating them and see how you get on?

cfine 02-03-2013 07:00 AM

I love to eat a fat bomb right before heading to the gym.