Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
building muscle at age 63?

I have been going to the gym pretty regularly for the past 5 months.
I am 63 and in decent shape for my age.
It seems to me that I have gained a little bit of muscle mass over the past few months. My friends say it's all in my head because at my age, the best I can hope for is to slow down the loss of muscle. Gaining new muscle mass is out of the question for someone my age.
Anyone have knowledge about this?
avid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I am 71 and have been strength training for the past year. I don't claim to be building 'new' muscle (because I'm eating at a caloric deficit to lose weight), but I definitely have developed my existing muscle quite significantly. It's obvious visually--and in the way my clothes fit.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
This is interesting. I just googled building muscle in your 60,s and alot of info came up.
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Heck there is a 93 year old body builder who started at 87!

93 year old bodybuilder - Bing Videos
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RDeschain927
Stats: (185/160/145)
WOE: SBD
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Gaining new muscle mass is out of the question for someone my age.
That is a fallacy.

It's NOT impossible to add lean muscle to your physique at 63. It's very doable in fact but several pre-requisites must be met and they are:

1) proper training regiment (with a barbell) that includes mostly if not ONLY compound movements. Isolations are a waste of time for a beginner looking to add size and strength.

2) proper nutrition

An excellent book I'd recommend is called "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. It's for beginners (of all ages) who want to add size and strength.

You've been working out for the last five months with regularity? Can you describe your training regiment? Also Do you keep a log?
RDeschain927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RDeschain927
Stats: (185/160/145)
WOE: SBD
Start Date: July 2012
Sorry I misread your post. I see that you actually HAVE gained some mass since you started lifting. Nice work!!

It is DEFINITELY possible to gain mass at your age (especially if your nutrition is on point, meaning your protein and caloric intake is very high at least on lift days).....so keep at it!
RDeschain927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
thanks for the encouragement!
I too did some research and yes, absolutely, without a doubt seniors can add muscle mass.
I go to the local Golds gym and most of workout is on the machines. I work every muscle group with particular attention to my core muscles. I've never felt better.
I know that my strength is increasing because I'm able to do sets with heavier weights.
My pace is "easy does it" because injury is the last thing I want.
I no longer have backaches. I get out of chairs effortlessly, I can stoop, bend, and lift things around the house with ease.
It's wonderful.
Thanks again for the support.
P.s. That 93 year old is amazing!!!
Old 11-10-2012, 03:34 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
you can definitely gain muscle... congrats. My uncle is near 70 and he did it too.

a detrained state, a newbie or a change to effective training will have you gaining muscle. Over time, you might not develope as much without specifically feeding your growth.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pcola Girl
Stats: Start-325 Today-225 Goal 160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sarted Nov. 2000---Restarted New January 2008
Hi everyone. I am 67 yrs. old and have been trying to work on building my muscle to and strength also. I am just getting over having both my knees replace this last year and my legs was left with hardly no strength in them at all. because I went for yrs. with my knees hurting me so bad that I hardly did much walking at all, but now that they are feeling better I am trying to get out and walk some in our neighborhood. I know it will take time to build it up but i got the time. I was in theraphy with them for over six months and they made me walk and do all sorts of leg and knee exercises so I am trying to keep that up to.
Three yrs ago I fell and broke my left arm and did alot of nerve damage in it to so the muscle tone in my shoulder area is not what it should be either so after alot of rehab on it I also work on my shoulder area when I exercise.
I made one of my extra bedrooms into a gym with all my exercise equipment so I do not go to the gym. I just do the exercises they showed me to do in rehab when I went.
I have a treadmill, arm pullies on the wall for my arms, exercise bike, arm weight rack. I have all I need here right now to work with. I am doing my outside walking to...

What are you all doing to help build your muscle tone?
Don't let anyone tell you that you cannot rebuild muscle when you are older, mine is already beginning to build some, it may take us longer to rebuild it but it will happen if we stay with it.

Last edited by Pcola Girl; 03-21-2013 at 12:52 PM..
Pcola Girl is offline   Reply With Quote