Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
shoulder press

Can't do them because I can't get full arm extension due to a shoulder impingement. Anyone have any alternative exercises that work the shoulder? Thanks!
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RDeschain927
Stats: (185/160/145)
WOE: SBD
Start Date: July 2012
1) Are you sure your form is correct?

2) An alternative is dumbell lateral raises

3) Or you can also do Upright Rows with either Barbell or Dumbell

with dumbell:

If you do it bent over you target the rear delt.

If you do a front raise you target more of the front delt.

depending on goals...all three movements (side, lateral and rear) are recommended.
RDeschain927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Jeanie-
I have had shoulder impingement, and I'd advise you to do NO shoulder exercise unless directed by a certified physical therapist.

You are better off doing no exercise for that shoulder than risking more injury. The exercises that the PTs gave me were very mild and helped reduce pain and inflammation. However, I still have 'problems' with the shoulders and must be very, very careful with any exercise. I usually just do the ones I learned in PT.

I once tried a shoulder machine in the club where I do my strength training, and I immediately felt pain--and stopped. My PT later told me to avoid the 'typical' shoulder exercises. They are not therapeutic, and that's what's needed when you have impingement.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDeschain927 View Post
1) Are you sure your form is correct?
Mark Rippetoe: Press Instruction 1 - YouTube

2) An alternative is dumbell lateral raises
How to Do Side Dumbbell Lateral Raises - YouTube

3) Or you can also do Upright Rows with either Barbell or Dumbell
The Upright Row - YouTube

with dumbell:
Weight Lifting Exercises : Weight Lifting Exercises: Dumbbell Upright Rows - YouTube

If you do it bent over you target the rear delt.
Rear Deltoids Bent Over Dumbbell Row Revenge Gym - YouTube

If you do a front raise you target more of the front delt.
Instructional Fitness - Dumbbell Front Raises - YouTube

depending on goals...all three movements (side, lateral and rear) are recommended.
I can not raise my right arm completely, so the overhead press is out. PT said doing upright rows was what probably caused my impingement?? Which of these youtube's exercises you posted would be the best replacement for the overhead press? Thank you.

Last edited by jeaniem; 10-03-2012 at 01:25 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Jeanie-
I have had shoulder impingement, and I'd advise you to do NO shoulder exercise unless directed by a certified physical therapist.

You are better off doing no exercise for that shoulder than risking more injury. The exercises that the PTs gave me were very mild and helped reduce pain and inflammation. However, I still have 'problems' with the shoulders and must be very, very careful with any exercise. I usually just do the ones I learned in PT.

I once tried a shoulder machine in the club where I do my strength training, and I immediately felt pain--and stopped. My PT later told me to avoid the 'typical' shoulder exercises. They are not therapeutic, and that's what's needed when you have impingement.
Leo-
I am fed up with Pt and trying to fix the problem on my own. I went twice a week on average for almost three months with a copay of 30 each visit and have experienced little improvement. I feel that as long as I can do an exercise without pain that it okay to do so. I also don't want to neglect the shoulders as part of a total body workout. Pt wants me to have cortisone injections and continue seeing him, but I am not comfortable with the idea of the injections.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Jeanie- I don't know why you had to go to therapy for so long. I went to PT for my shoulder for only two weeks. During that time, the therapist showed me all the exercises and supervised to see that I was doing them properly. I also practiced them at home. THEN I continued to do the exercises regularly at thome for several months. It was almost a year before my shoulder felt 'normal' again. Both the doctor and the therapist had told me that it might take even longer.

I should have continued those exercises, but I tend to only do them if I begin to feel 'twinges' in the shoulder.

My point is that some of the shoulder work in your total body workout may not be good for your condition, and if you want to 'exercise' the shoulder, you would do better to do the PT exercises.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
up right rows are terrible for you. My coaches doesnt even assign those. I've worked with an ART doc for yrs now. They completely resolved my impingements and 've trained through all my therapies without eliminating any O/H movements.
Active Release Techniques: A.R.T.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

I now know the upright rows are bad news.

Ileen
I can not understand how you can do o/h press with an impingement? I can not lift my right arm (impingement side) completely, so really would not even be lifting the weight on that side?? Thanks for the link about A.R.T.

Interesting after reading about the A.R.T. it seems very much like what my PT was doing. He is a manual therapist and spent the bulk of his time doing stretching/massage type treatment from the neck down. He didn't have a lot of faith in meds, band work or heat/ice type treatments. He believes that the whole body is generally out of balance when the shoulder is involved. He did suggest cortisone but only after I complained about the lack of progress.

Last edited by jeaniem; 10-06-2012 at 06:08 AM..
Old 10-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #9

i was able to lift my arm, it just had numbness. It stemmed from my neck area.

They usually believe all of it comes off the hips. Mine is (to a lesser degree now )rotated anterior and posterior.

My orthopedist, actually recommended and sent me to ART doesnt like cortisone either its only a bandaid, for agrees for some, short term, it can help.

Hope you get to feeling better. One of my boys (the 18yo) has been dealing with a shoulder injury (we think a ligament.. he lifts and its driving him insane! His P.T is actually a lot like what they do in ART as well.They even do dry needling.. different facility.

Last edited by inatic; 10-06-2012 at 08:04 AM..
Old 10-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
up right rows are terrible for you. My coaches doesnt even assign those. I've worked with an ART doc for yrs now. They completely resolved my impingements and 've trained through all my therapies without eliminating any O/H movements.
Active Release Techniques: A.R.T.
Ilene, are the bent over rows okay? I was using the lightest weights I had for the upright rows and I really don't like them. The bent over rows look interesting, especially since they engage back muscles.
terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:20 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
How about shoulder shrugs? So she doesn't need to raise her arms at all.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #12

bent rows, one arm rows are good but they dont hit that area the same. think body position of ea exercise and the direction of the pull....

We really dont do shoulder shrugs as so many other lifts can hit that area.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post

We really dont do shoulder shrugs as so many other lifts can hit that area.
agreed. Shrugs are unnecessary if you're doing compound movements and shrugs actually target traps and not really delts (shoulders).

Quote:
Originally Posted by terez View Post
Ilene, are the bent over rows okay? I was using the lightest weights I had for the upright rows and I really don't like them. The bent over rows look interesting, especially since they engage back muscles.
Terez, Bent over rows are more for rear delts or lats depending on how you do them. They don't truly focus on the part of the delt that you see when facing a mirror. If you don't have impingement issues the overhead press is the best workout for shoulders.

To the OP, I'm not a PT or a doctor or a certified anything (although potentially certifiable depending on who you ask) so please keep that in mind.

Can you do a lateral raise?

Last edited by RDeschain927; 10-08-2012 at 11:52 AM..
Old 10-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

I can do lateral raises but my right arm (impingement side) becomes fatigued quickly to the point of shaking with very light dumbbells, 3's and 5's.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
I can do lateral raises but my right arm (impingement side) becomes fatigued quickly to the point of shaking with very light dumbbells, 3's and 5's.
I wish I could help you jeaniem but (I realize I'm being captain obvious here) that shoulder needs to be rehabbed if you want to do any significant resistance work for the upper body.

I mght consider a different PT as the amount of time you've put in with him indicates either:

1) Your current PT is not that good OR
2) You may need more than just physical therapy to fix the issue

but like I said earlier...I'm just some guy that likes to workout and definitely not a doctor.

I hope you get things figured out though and sorry I wasn't very helpful.

I can stand behind this statement though and experts will agree: The standing overhead press is the absolute best bang for your buck shoulder workout out there. It's a compound movement that hits your shoulders as well as stabilizers that come into play in order for you to perform the lift. It's the most efficient and most impactful workout your shoulders can benefit from. So I do hope you can get the shoulder issue resolved.

Last edited by RDeschain927; 10-08-2012 at 01:37 PM..
Old 03-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pcola Girl
Stats: Start-325 Today-225 Goal 160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sarted Nov. 2000---Restarted New January 2008
I have some arm pullies on my wall that I use for my shoulders.
I broke my arm bad a couple of years ago and had to have a rod put in it so my extension of that arm is not good, but the pullies you can go up as far as you can ,up and down. They have helped mine alot.
I used them when I was in rehab with my arm.
Pcola Girl is offline   Reply With Quote