Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Stressing out over getting biceps??

Everybody says that women don't bulk up, but I think that I am. I am 4'11" and considered large boned via the wrist test. I do a power class at golds gym 2 -3 times a week, my question....could this be happening, and if so, what can I do to stop it? I do want to tone. And, I'm not lifting excessive amounts of weight.
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Your stated goal is what you say you fear. "Tone" is what happens when you gain muscle & lose fat. It shows & gives a nice shape. Don't worry about bulking up. That is not what you are seeing.

Biceps are wonderful & beautiful! You're just not used to looking good! Embrace them & the healthier you that is emerging.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I am NOT an expert on anything like this, but you might consider doing pilates as your form of exercise. That is supposed to build long, lean muscles, like a dancer's body, and might fit your goals.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb
I love my Bow-flex..tone tone tone
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alligatorpie
Stats: 6'4" 304/189/<195
WOE: One high carb meal a day
Start Date: July 15 2010
Lighter weight more reps to "lean it out"
alligatorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TigerlilyCA
WOE: Primal-esque
Did you just start your exercise program? It could be that yes, you have added some muscle, but since you haven't yet lost the fat, you're getting a "bulky" look. Do not be afraid of the muscles. After the initial newbie golden period, it's very difficult to put on muscle BUT it's going to be what makes your body look awesome once you lean out and have lost the fat.

Another possibility is that your muscles are simply retaining water, which could also give you a bulky look.

Bottom line, don't worry about it right now if this is a new program. Give it about 6-8 weeks and THEN see where you are.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
What's wrong with biceps????? I DON'T want to be one of those skinny girls with skinny arms. Just look at the shoulders and arms of the US Female Swim Team members..........those women look GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
It is not that you are bulking up, it more that you are not leaning out...so you just look "big" because you have the muscle and the fat. Forgive me for saying that, I am 5'2 I went through that phase...unfortunately the only way around it for me was a lean out diet...yet (virtually low everything...including fat!!!) If you don't want to look bulky but strong you got to lean out... I guarantee the bulk is because of excess fat not excess muscle.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: twilight
Stats: 225/186.5/130
WOE: VLC/Atkins
I agree with lighter weights, more reps and pilates. Now - what is the "wrist test"?
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Remykins
Stats: 139/132/128
Start Date: May 6th 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerlilyCA View Post
Did you just start your exercise program? It could be that yes, you have added some muscle, but since you haven't yet lost the fat, you're getting a "bulky" look. Do not be afraid of the muscles. After the initial newbie golden period, it's very difficult to put on muscle BUT it's going to be what makes your body look awesome once you lean out and have lost the fat.

Another possibility is that your muscles are simply retaining water, which could also give you a bulky look.

Bottom line, don't worry about it right now if this is a new program. Give it about 6-8 weeks and THEN see where you are.
THIS. Fat over the muscle- you will want the muscle when you lose more fat. Try also drinking more water 90oz a day or so because your muscles are storing water- and take up yoga/Pilates- Good stretching is key.

I 'bulk' quickly- i had to basically go on stillmans for a few days after goal- to actually go below what i thought was my goal, and then I saw the beauty in the muscle.

Last edited by Remykins; 07-17-2012 at 07:50 AM..
Remykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Well, I'm in the middle of reading the article noted above "Lies in the gym" - very interesting. I will definitely have to look more into it. Just like "diet", there are so many differing ways/opinions/ideas of getting the results you would like. Boy, I sure wish that it were easier to know automatically which diet and which workout routine would be best for me.

Anyway...Tiger, I have been doing my weight class since sometime in May, apprx 2 - 3 times per week - and I don't lift heavy.

Abby - nothing is wrong with biceps, but my arms are already big (thick) with the flab underneath, so when I was drying my hair and saw the little bump, I kinda panicked thinking that my arms looked huge. However, I would like long, willowy arm, but it ain't gonna happen!

"so you just look "big" because you have the muscle and the fat - yep, I think that this is pretty much it. Scary!

Twilight, I think that the link was somewhere on this forum, but couldn't tell you where - sorry. If I remember, you enter your height, weight, other things ??, wrist size, etc. and it pretty much declares you small/normal/large boned. If I happen across it, I'll pm you.

Thank you all for your responses. I so wish this were easier. Why oh why did I ever let myself get so out of shape. geeezzzz
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote