Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyCMC
Stats: 88kg/88kg/65kg
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 26 Jan 2004
Low carb eating and weights for women

Hi all,

I have been working out with my personal trainer twice a week for the past 7 weeks or so. She is anti low carb, so has had me on carbs until lunch time all this time. (I had fallen off the wagon anyway) She insists that there is no way I'd have enough energy to lift weights on low carb. My strength is improving weekly.

I want to get back on low carb eating, (also counting calories) as I have about 60 pounds to lose, and this way of eating (Clean eating) is time consuming and the weight loss very slow (1 pound a week on average). I never had that problem on low carb. Is it possible to build muscle and strength while low carbing? Can someone please give me some guidence.

I would like to at some stage down the think about a figure comp.

I'm 39 in July, have type II diabetes (have been off my meds), weigh 87kg (sorry not sure what that is in pounds) and am 167 cm tall. In case that helps with anything.
Sugar levels on the way down
KathyCMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Hi Kathy. I can't really speak about the science of muscle-building, but I can tell you about my own experience. I lost 60 lbs from July 2010 to July 2011 with LC eating and weight lifting. I've since put on 20 of those lbs due to my own lack of diligence, but I'm recommitted. Anyway, I never had a problem with energy on LC. In fact, it was quite the opposite. I've had more energy than I've ever had in my life.

You might consider eating carbs at your comfort level and seeing what happens. You don't need to be explicit with your trainer about what you're doing; just make the adjustments on your own and see how you feel.

Personally, I could never lose weight by eating more carbs. It just doesn't work that way for me.

I think everyone's needs are different, so consider some trial and error. I'm sorry to hear that your trainer isn't supportive of LC, but I guess everyone has his or her own perspective on such matters.

Additionally, here in the US, trainers aren't often nutritionists, so bear in mind personal bias. S/he might be speaking out of personal belief instead of evidence-based practice.

Good luck to you!

"When I run, it's me against myself, which means that I always lose." ~Christine

Weight loss journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ney-maker.html
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:30 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Well first she is my cousin, and they do Nutrition over here too. She said she did a lot of research after my first initial visit (pre training) with her. Its just that her training is probably old school kwim? She is an excellent inspiration for me to keep going, and is always very encouraging, pushing me just enough to get my heart rate up and to the point where I just cant quite do anything else. My two sessions a week have been the only exercise I've been doing apart from trying to get 5000 plus steps a day in at work.

I want to keep building my strength up, and lose weight a little faster than a pound a week. So frustrating.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lharris0702
Stats: 114/114/109
WOE: WW SFT
Start Date: restarted 2-14-14
Hey Kathy, I have to agree with Christine that a low carb diet such as South Beach not only is a diet but a very healthier way of eating. You still are allowed carbs but the right carbs the good carbs such as sweet potatoes. I can only speak what has worked for me.

I am 50 soon to be 51 and run 4 miles just about everyday and workout in the evening at home with Kettlebells which I love love love. The results are amazing as I actually have some abs that show and my arms are no longer flabby.

My running, workout and following the South Beach diet just works for me but at the same time I am eating much healthier.
lharris0702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TheGreatJustino
Stats: 300/270/209
Start Date: March 16 2012
What you want to do is continue on the low carb plan like normal, however on lifting days eat about 20g of slow digesting carbs about 30 mins before lifting, and 20-60 grams of fast acting carbs coupled with the approx. same amount of protein as soon as you're done lifting.
TheGreatJustino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thanks everyone. Today I had a low carb breakfast of steak, and then an hour and a half before my workout I had some rice paper rolls, afterwards a zucchini ball (probably too many carbs there). It was a good 45 minute workout, but I did 835 meters on the rowing machine in 5 minutes and then the rest was constant weights, all upper body. I feel great afterwards, but I will be sore tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
protein and a carb pre workout and again pwo, then go back to LC if you want.
The carbs you takin during training will get quickly burnt and help reduce cortisol.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Ileen, my trainer could tell today that my breakfast was low carb. I wasn't as strong today and wore out sooner. She is insisting on some complex carbs in the morning and then I can low carb the rest of the day.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:56 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyCMC View Post
Thanks Ileen, my trainer could tell today that my breakfast was low carb. I wasn't as strong today and wore out sooner. She is insisting on some complex carbs in the morning and then I can low carb the rest of the day.
My body responds best in the long run when I include
complex carbs early in the day, vs. when I don't include them.
It doesn't have to be a lot, but even a little goes a long way.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote