Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: natepickle
41 year old male, wants to start workingout and eating right.....help

Ok here is the low down on my situation. I am a 41 year old male with two kids 13 and 9, married 18 years. I (my body) have gained alot of weight in the past 18 years. I had been on low carb until we went on vacation and my wife and kids asked me to go to the restaurants (lost 23 pounds). well since then (6 months) i have gained it all back. I weigh 295 pounds 6'3, very large frame.

Here is what i would like to do; I want to start workingout so i become healthy again,can see my muscles like i did years ago,to show my son that it is fun, to lose weight so i can look good in clothes again. I have recently found that I have a "mild fatty liver" so I am not sure if LC is good for dealing with this or if carb cycling is. I also have a family history of heart disease so Im not sure if LC is good or bad for this. I have a freakin doctor that only tells people to eat lower fat lower calories, he doesnt like any thing other than the old diet recommendations of 50 years ago.

Here s what i dont want to do; lose weight only to gain it back in a few months, not become active again, keep gaining weight, look like someone that has a watermelon in his stomach.

any thoughts?

jim
natepickle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
have you looked at the body for life program? Are you 'stuck' on just using LC. It can be tweaked to moderate carb or more of targeted carb approach.

Docs need to take their heads out of the clouds. There are numerous ways to diet.. but one of the main factors should be is this sustainable for life. Does the diet fit you and your needs.. Instead of looking at the quick fix way/s of getting the wt off, loose it and KEEP IT OFF, just once.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Marshall
Quote:
Originally Posted by natepickle View Post
any thoughts?
First of all, you can accomplish exactly what you describe as your goals. Plus, you have the added motivation of setting an example for your kids of how to lead a healthy lifestyle.

I can only offer thoughts based on what worked (and is working) for me. I'm down 40lbs with 10lbs to go. Here is basically what I do:

(1) Morning Workouts:
I do cardio and lift weights first thing in the morning 6 days a week. This is usually 4 miles on the treadmill and weight lifting focused on one muscle group (chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs, and core).

(2) Plan & Schedule Meals:
I plan meals at least a day ahead and then eat on a schedule as opposed to eating when I'm hungry. Regardless of how I feel, I eat at 9a, Noon, 3p, 6p, and 9p. I do not eat bread, sugar, flour, pasta, potatoes, or anything processed. Two of my meals are shakes out of the blender. I believe eating on a schedule like this keeps my blood sugar steady because I don't have any carb or sugar cravings like I used to when I went longer without eating.

(3) Sleep:
I follow a pretty structured sleep schedule. In fact, I haven't used an alarm clock for a very longtime because I wake up naturally and feeling great after 8 1/2 to 9 hours.

Dropping the weight was a challenge but it feels even better than I imagined it would. I fell off the wagon a number of times but always got back on.

Let me know if you have questions or if I can help. All the best!
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Catrapoin
Stats: 214/184/118 (highest is pregnancy weight)
WOE: Low carb plus exercise
Start Date: 01/27/2010... Restart 01/11/2014
I use P90X, and I know there are others using the Power 90 on here. I like the programs because they are KISS- in other words, they sit there and tell you exactly what to do, and how to do it. I've seen good results so far and I enjoy what I'm doing. Especially since I can do it at home. I'll be sending my DVDs to my dad so he can try them out; he's a few years older than you, but basically the same scenario. If you google these programs, you'll see what they're about, and whether they are right for you.

Also, I find the meal plan for P90X pretty good, but I now use the one from Insanity (same company). It's easier to follow and doesn't have a bunch of complicated recipes.

Good luck with whatever you try!

GOAL: LOSE FIFTY BEFORE I'M THIRTY

Catrapoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Over40
Stats: 200 to 170/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Every other day
I like the part about the clothes Jim. About a year ago the dress code at work got changed on all of us. So, imagine how I felt being Walmart chic. (T-shirts and 501s. Although they don't sell 501's at Walmart...)

So this is what I did on purpose. I took my credit card (which I never use, no really), logged onto Macy's.com and ordered a lot of Izod and Lacoste clothes. (I hand't worn Lacoste since 1985 I think...) Instead of ordering my usual large I ordered mediums. A risky investment. But slowly, the shirts and pants, are fitting better. The Greg Norman brand polos are a big medium, but nothing near the "mediums" Walmart sells. I even bought a pair of Sperry Top Siders. (No, I am not listening to Duran Duran, yet...)

So, buy some clothes a size to small and work on fitting into them.

As far as Low Carb and your health, my experience has been (my experience), better blood work. Get that done, low carb for what might be considered an appropriate amount of time, and then get the blood work done again. I had a doc get p!$$ed at me once because after he read my labs and asked me how I did it, I told him LC. You'll be eating the paint off the walls with low calorie.

The resistance training is your business; I like high intensity weight workouts. (Right now I am partial to Super Slow) But that is personal preference. If you want to give P90X a swing, or the Extreme 90 Day workout (which is a P90X rip off, but less expensive) that would be great.

Go get it.

Richard Dawkins

Weighed 09.07.13: 200 pounds

Last edited by Over40; 09-18-2011 at 11:09 PM..
Over40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Over40
Stats: 200 to 170/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Every other day
That should be Supreme 90 Day Challenge, not Extreme. Sorry.
Over40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chmiel
Marshall How many carbs do you limit yourself to on a daily basis.
I have a treadmill and 4 miles would take me over an hour with fast walking, did you build up to this. How many exercises do you do per body part and number of sets
I am 6'2" at 260lbs with a 48" gut. What did your waist measure when you started and what is it now
Thanks,
Larry
Chmiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmiel View Post
Marshall How many carbs do you limit yourself to on a daily basis.
I have a treadmill and 4 miles would take me over an hour with fast walking, did you build up to this. How many exercises do you do per body part and number of sets
I am 6'2" at 260lbs with a 48" gut. What did your waist measure when you started and what is it now
Thanks,
Larry

Welcome Larry. This is a really old thread, so I'm not sure if the posters in it are still around. You might want to start a new thread or post in one of the more recent ones on this forum.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote