Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bradeep
Powerlifting and low-carb dieting

I've gotten conflicting information from various sites I read, so decided to ask here as you guys have much more experience with low-carb diets. First off, I like powerlifting and stick to a regular routine, usually lifting 5-6x a week in some form or another. I am also gluten intolerant, moderate Celiac's, thus I've pretty much eliminated bread and other stuff from my diet. I'd like to lose some fat (who wouldn't) and was interested in trying a low-carb diet as I believe my insulin levels react similar to a diabetic's, probably from the Celiac's.

Has anyone powerlifted on a low-carb diet? I've heard a diet such as Atkin's is not conducive to strength gains due to the lack of glycogen in muscles.

Thanks for any info.
Bradeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
fat loss is contingient on a caloric deficit. As long as you have one, how you dispense your macros is up to you. i personally perform better with moderate carbs. You can tweak any diet to give you that. Have you tried training that way?

My choice is to also avoid gluten, with the ocassional 'cheat' but i do eat oats, tators (all), cream or rice, br rice/brown rice couscous and lots of root veggies are also starchie.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Natural Healthcare Chiropractor

Gallery: KajunDC
Stats: Lost 115lbs 2004. Maintaining ever since.
WOE: Lower Carb Mediterranean-Style Organic Diet
Start Date: Low Carb-Mar04, BFFM-Jul05, P90-X-Dec24,08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradeep View Post
I've gotten conflicting information from various sites I read, so decided to ask here as you guys have much more experience with low-carb diets. First off, I like powerlifting and stick to a regular routine, usually lifting 5-6x a week in some form or another. I am also gluten intolerant, moderate Celiac's, thus I've pretty much eliminated bread and other stuff from my diet. I'd like to lose some fat (who wouldn't) and was interested in trying a low-carb diet as I believe my insulin levels react similar to a diabetic's, probably from the Celiac's.

Has anyone powerlifted on a low-carb diet? I've heard a diet such as Atkin's is not conducive to strength gains due to the lack of glycogen in muscles.

Thanks for any info.
You powerlift 5-6 days a week? How often are you working the same body parts?

Remember that lifting weights does NOT build muscle. It is the recovery from lifting weights that builds muscle. If you don't give your muscles ample recovery time, gains will be severely retarded.
KajunDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: terror
Stats: 200lb(17%bf)\goal<10%bf 5'11"
WOE: Anabolic Diet
Start Date: April 2011
i'm training for powerlifting too, i'm on the Anabolic diet, what really helped me are creatine preworkout for strength, and 25-30g of BCAA during the day(best to be taken around your workout). are you doing westside?whats your lifts?
terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
I'm not supposed to lift over 40 lbs., yet I can bench press 225 lbs, if I have to do so (and I do so without injury my bad back and bad knees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote