Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ncgirl37
Stats: 192/175.2/140 5'7
Start Date: 3/19/14
Dizziness and passing out when weight lifting (my son)

Hi, my son is 15 and plays high school football and track. At the end of track season last year, he was also working out with football and started complaining of headaches and dizziness when straining. I took him to the doctor b/c he is prone to migraines but the doctor said she thought it was related to a sinus headache. Jump to the summer and he hasn't complained of this since until last week when he was working out and passed out while weight lifting during football practice. Luckily someone was there spotting him but he still hit the floor and strained his neck. The trainer said it was common among athletes to not breath properly during exercise and this created a blood pressure issue resulting in fainting. He is still complaining of having a headache this week though he was on vacation and said he felt light headed when doing a push up and then had a a headache. Dylan is very big for his size, 6-2 and 240 pounds. Not big but in shape. Do you think him being prone to migraines has anything to do with this? Oh, he just had his sports physical the same day that he passed out at practice and everything was fine. I am making an appointment to take him to the doctor but wanted to see if anyone may have heard if this is common among athletes.
ncgirl37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I have been getting migraines since I was 15 and have never passed out exercising. I would take him to a neurologist-you need to find out what's going on and get to the root cause of his migraines if you can. I sure hope he's doing better.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks I am making his appointment sometime next week. Even though he is the size of the jolly green giant, he's still my little boy LOL and I worry.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:08 AM   #4

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
is he properly hydrated and eating for these workouts.. summer football practice is brutal! it's hot and the kids bust their bums.

Hope you get some answers.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MortNuke
Stats: 5"10" 213/190/190;
WOE: Clean Eating / P90X
Start Date: 2009
Continue to follow up, Mom. You have legitimate concerns. I don't think you be able to convince Dylan of that, but someone needs to keep an eye out...for the record, it sounds like he is just giving his best effort - what a great quality!

Mort
MortNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

He is feeling better, not having the headaches except when he is straining at practice so I really feel it is exertion related just want him to have a check up. And yes he keeps hydrated but on the day he passed out when I got to the school he was sweating up a storm and yes it was very hot so he may have needed extra fluids on that day. Thanks!Will post back when he goes to the doctor next week. I know he is healthy since he just had his physical and all but may need to work on the breathing or even load up on extra fluids on practice days...but the mom in me will feel TONS better after speaking with the dr.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
is he properly hydrated and eating for these workouts.. summer football practice is brutal! it's hot and the kids bust their bums.

Hope you get some answers.
ITA with Ileen and wonder if your son's getting enough fluids in and is eating enough to fuel his workouts. How soon before he works out is he eating? How much water is he drinking?

And yes, breathing properly when lifting is important. I can see how someone could easily pass out if they were holding their breath!
Firm Hottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
What kind of exercise was he doing? Squats, bench press, or something else?

Breathing could be an issue. But, breathing is a fairly contested topic too. Some people do the simple in and out while lifting, and others use a Valsalva maneuver to increase intra-abdominal pressure.

This is a pretty decent article about breathing:

Breathing During Weight Training | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #9

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
The thing that concerns me is the OP stated her son is "prone" to migraines. That raises a red flag especially with them occuring during exercise and passing out-he needs a neurological exam IMHO. I have suffered from migraines since I was 15 and this is one red flag issue that I have been warned about and advised to see a doc as soon as possible.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I took Dylan to the doctor today and the doctor scheduled him for a CT scan for this Thursday and referred him to a neurologist. She also wrote him out of football and told him not to do anything that required exertion until the CT scan. She said b/c he has been getting light headed and dizzy w/severe headache more than once including passing out with increased migraines she wanted the CT scan and possible MRI. I am hoping its just something as simple as giving him more fluids before practice but I want to make sure he is totally healthy especially since he is such an aggressive football player and its so freaking hot.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

She also asked me if he had any type of head injury recently and I told her had not. She asked me if I was sure but the only head injury he has had (which I told her) is when he was 10 and his dad accidentally hit him in the forehead with a baseball and she said that did not have any bearing on it b/c it has been five years...sooo, I honestly feel he is Ok, just might need to change up his eating or extra fluid before practices. But rather be safe and get the tests done.

Last edited by ncgirl37; 07-26-2010 at 12:28 PM..
Old 07-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #12

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
sounds like doc is covering all the bases..
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susique333
Stats: started at 230+ Type2 Diabetes Insulin
WOE: LOW CARB, higher fat
Start Date: summer 2007 RESTART May 2012
I am glad the dr ordered testing.
susique333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Talked to the nurse today and the CT was normal however the doctor thinks something is going on with him blacking out. She ordered a MRI and a echocardiogram. After these tests, hopefully I will get to hear everything is normal. Meanwhile, she has him written out of football still so I have one unhappy child. His health is the most important thing in my book but I understand his impatience since they have tryouts this week and he is worried he will lose his positions. I am not sure what she is looking for though to order these type of tests and left a message for her to personally call me back.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl37 View Post
Talked to the nurse today and the CT was normal however the doctor thinks something is going on with him blacking out. She ordered a MRI and a echocardiogram. After these tests, hopefully I will get to hear everything is normal. Meanwhile, she has him written out of football still so I have one unhappy child. His health is the most important thing in my book but I understand his impatience since they have tryouts this week and he is worried he will lose his positions. I am not sure what she is looking for though to order these type of tests and left a message for her to personally call me back.
Will keep you guys in my thoughts
livinlarge is offline   Reply With Quote