Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Body For Life 2010 v2.0 (BFL!)

I'm getting ready to officially start the Body for Life Challenge this weekend. I've been "practicing" for about a week now. Anyone else want in? This will be my first BFL Challenge EVER so excited!

I've recorded my starting stats and will be getting my before pic taken by my sister on Saturday. I plan to enter the contest. What the heck I plan to win LOL. I'm heavier than most BFL champions but I did find one or two on their website that started as out of shape/heavy as I am so I just KNOW it can be done.

I'm also new to exercising recovering from a horrible 18 months of improperly treated Hypothyroidism. Felling super good/healthy now and ready to tackle this.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DreamWarrior
Stats: 161/161/145
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: 23 Oct 09
Sure! Why not!!

Okay - I'll do it!!

How do I start?
DreamWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Okay - I'll do it!!

How do I start?
Start by ordering the book and reading it. I got my on amazon pretty cheap or its usually at used bookstores and regular bookstores. Then check out the body for life website they have spreadsheets of all the workouts. Its three weightlifting sessions per week and three High Intensity Interval Training Cardio sessions (20 minutes). I've done a couple of the HIITs but am waiting to pick a gym and do my first weights routine this weekend.

I've also downloaded the packet for entering the contest and plan to officially compete in the BFL challenge.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #4

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I followed BFL last year when I started with my metabolism repair. The eating of smaller meals throughout the day really helped control my appetite so I wouldn't overeat. My fav snack from the BFL book is the half yogurt/half cottage cheese one. I take 1/2 cup cottage cheese and mix it with about 3-4 oz Fage then sweeten it and I now add sliced strawberries. I'm not following BFL right now but I'd like to tag along with the thread if you don't mind.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
I followed BFL last year when I started with my metabolism repair. The eating of smaller meals throughout the day really helped control my appetite so I wouldn't overeat. My fav snack from the BFL book is the half yogurt/half cottage cheese one. I take 1/2 cup cottage cheese and mix it with about 3-4 oz Fage then sweeten it and I now add sliced strawberries. I'm not following BFL right now but I'd like to tag along with the thread if you don't mind.

YAY! Yes please be in this thread
I do yogurt/cottage/canned pumpkin and spices mixture now and it is NOM NOM NOM!

I'm still boning up on the nutrition. I will be adjusting to BFL eating slowly not just diving into the higher carbs all at once. I'll be starting adding more carbs pre/post workout and gradually increasing them.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
I'm in!! I started my 2nd challene on May 17th!!

I love the BFL WOE!! So perfect! I got pretty creative with recipes through out my first challenge. You can do so much with cottage cheese its rediculous!
Ice cream
pudding
pancakes
jamistar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Those carbs around lifting days are so beneficial! Your muscles will just eat them right up! Just keep the fat lower than 5g for each of those meals. You dont want to slow down the carb intake.
If you were still wanting to enjoy your low carb ways, you can always do low carb on your cardio days and days off from the gym.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Those carbs around lifting days are so beneficial! Your muscles will just eat them right up! Just keep the fat lower than 5g for each of those meals. You dont want to slow down the carb intake.
If you were still wanting to enjoy your low carb ways, you can always do low carb on your cardio days and days off from the gym.

I think I've accepted this transition into higher carb lower fat. I just want to sort of *ease* into it over a period of weeks rather than diving in headfirst! And I'll be starting with less scary carbs like pumpkin, sweet potato and fruit. SO NOT ready for oatmeal! LOL

Thanks for the cheerleading... its a big transition but I feel well now and am ready for something new
Old 05-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kisha~ Thats what I did too! When I first started BFl. I went from 5-10 total carbs a day.. My first day of BFL I ate oats. I measured my oatmeal dry first, so I would have 1/3 cup (26g) dry oats with whey protein shake, pre workout, and post workout I'd have the same. Then after my first week I graduated to 1/2 cup (40). I would mix in my Protein powder in with my oatmeal after it was cooked, and cooled for a few minutes. I have the best peanut butter choco flavored PP.. It tasted so good in the oatmeal. I really didn't gain any weight from adding oatmeal in, espcially if you are doing low fat. Then for my meals 3-6 I would eat the CC, lots of salads with veggies, and I'd use a yogurt based salad dressing, Bolthouse farms ranch dressing has only 2 carbs and 70 calories per 31grams. I would put my bowl of salad on the scale and measure out my dressing that way.
Anyways. I am excited to have a group of people on here to do this with! How fun! I had a week or so of "practice" too. LOL You'll get it! Easing into a new program is good, but make sure you ease ALL the way.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #10

I'm gonna do it! I bought some new items at WF yesterday. I think my carb I'm comfortable starting with is YAMs so I'll be baking those and using those with my pre and post workout protein to start upping my carbs slowly first week on BFL I'll be going up to 70g of carbs a day and yes will be lowering my fat also. Just picking my EXACT start date now since I've got a week vacation in new york at the end of this challenge.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Make sure you weigh your yams pre cooked I love sweet potatoes! They are YUMMY. I put a little spenda and cinnamon on mine. I usually cut mine up according to what I can have for that meal, weigh them, add a little water to the bowl, cover and micro for 4 minutes. So easy to make.
How exciting to go to New York! I have bever been there... yet Soon I hope. WOW, you'll be a long ways from home! I smack dab in the middle of the two! I live by Kansas city Mo.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Make sure you weigh your yams pre cooked I love sweet potatoes! They are YUMMY. I put a little spenda and cinnamon on mine. I usually cut mine up according to what I can have for that meal, weigh them, add a little water to the bowl, cover and micro for 4 minutes. So easy to make.
How exciting to go to New York! I have bever been there... yet Soon I hope. WOW, you'll be a long ways from home! I smack dab in the middle of the two! I live by Kansas city Mo.
O goodness girl! thats the midwest isn't it? I've been to Oklahoma City Okalahoma... it was hot flat and HUMID AS HECK!! Half of my family is originally from Missouri... Grandma came out from Marshall as a little girl during the depression.

SO I did HIIT again today and realized I'd been doing my intervals a little bit wrong. Think I got it right today. Tomorrow is D DAY On the gym! I've got my free one week at 24 hour fitness. Its the closest to my house. I'll also do a week at Bally and a week at Gold's before I make my final decision. I'm all ready to go on my first LBWO. So it'll be LBWO W1D1 tomorrow! With my official Start date as June 1, 2010. Took my before pictures today and lord! OMG! wow LOL I could barely stop laughing long wenough to plaster an "i'm so fat and depressed" look on my face LOL. Me and my sister had fun with that.

I'll finish taking my measurements tonight... oh and starting increasing carbs lowering fat tomorrow too! I'm stoked.

OH YEAH, And I counted out twelve weeks from June1 and my last day will actually be the day BEFORE I GO TO NEW YORK! So its perfect can't wait. Is it weird to be more excited about my BFL challenge than I am about my vacation?

Last edited by Ilpirata; 05-29-2010 at 07:50 PM..
Old 05-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AKmama08
Stats: 210/124.4/120-125; 5'4"
WOE: BFL
Start Date: June 7th, 2010
I'm going to start the next official round that starts at the end of June according to the website. I know it works! I read the book about 9 years ago and trained my Dad, made his meals, etc., on the program. Why didn't I do it myself? At the time I looked like I already did the program...was a gym rat & health freak. Anyhow, Dad got amazing results...lost the pot belly, gained tons of muscle & felt great. So now that I'm older, a Mom, married to a junk food freak...well, I've put on a few! Plus look at Jami's results! My goal: her arms! In the meantime, just sticking to good ol' LC WOE. Boy am I going to miss my HWC lattes! Will be lurking around... =)
AKmama08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmama08 View Post
I'm going to start the next official round that starts at the end of June according to the website. I know it works! I read the book about 9 years ago and trained my Dad, made his meals, etc., on the program. Why didn't I do it myself? At the time I looked like I already did the program...was a gym rat & health freak. Anyhow, Dad got amazing results...lost the pot belly, gained tons of muscle & felt great. So now that I'm older, a Mom, married to a junk food freak...well, I've put on a few! Plus look at Jami's results! My goal: her arms! In the meantime, just sticking to good ol' LC WOE. Boy am I going to miss my HWC lattes! Will be lurking around... =)
Right on! FYI from what I gather from the BFL site you can start the challenge NOW and enter for the next round:

start no later than finish no later than
3 June 30, 2010 September 22, 2010

So start date of June 1 falls within the parameters of entering that round.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
Right on! FYI from what I gather from the BFL site you can start the challenge NOW and enter for the next round:

start no later than finish no later than
3 June 30, 2010 September 22, 2010

So start date of June 1 falls within the parameters of entering that round.
Ohhh, is that how it works?! DOH! I was thinking it was rough to have to wait so long to start (or make others wait).
Cool!
Ok, I'm going to go to the used bookstore tomorrow and pick up a copy. My parents are in the middle of a huge remodel and said they know sort of where their copy is, but there are mounts of things in the way of getting to it. Hopefully I can find it locally! Otherwise I can just wait on one from Amazon. And to think I was going to postpone seeing the in-laws for our annual 4th of July trip until Sept when I "would be done" w/ the challenge...lol. I still kind of want to because I'm in a weird inbetween sizes right now, and I got rid of a ton of clothes along the way, so can't go up a size. Squeezing isn't too flattering either! Would be a great reward to have a shopping spree (we don't have malls or any shopping here where I live, or roads out to drive to another city to shop for that matter). That's neat that you will go to NYC at the end of yours! I <3 NYC.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmama08 View Post
Ohhh, is that how it works?! DOH! I was thinking it was rough to have to wait so long to start (or make others wait).
Cool!
Ok, I'm going to go to the used bookstore tomorrow and pick up a copy. My parents are in the middle of a huge remodel and said they know sort of where their copy is, but there are mounts of things in the way of getting to it. Hopefully I can find it locally! Otherwise I can just wait on one from Amazon. And to think I was going to postpone seeing the in-laws for our annual 4th of July trip until Sept when I "would be done" w/ the challenge...lol. I still kind of want to because I'm in a weird inbetween sizes right now, and I got rid of a ton of clothes along the way, so can't go up a size. Squeezing isn't too flattering either! Would be a great reward to have a shopping spree (we don't have malls or any shopping here where I live, or roads out to drive to another city to shop for that matter). That's neat that you will go to NYC at the end of yours! I <3 NYC.
I'm so excited you'll be joining us! I've been "practicing" slash "gearing up" to officially start for about a week and a half.

I'm *sort of* excited about NY and I'll get *some* shopping in. but I'm WAY MORE Stoked about this cruise I'm going on at the end of January 2011. Its a HEAVY METAL CRUISE called 70000 Tons of Metal. Forty metal bands and two thousand fans on a four night cruise! OMG. I'm hella hella stoked and that will be after my SECOND BFL challenge
Old 05-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
I'm so excited you'll be joining us! I've been "practicing" slash "gearing up" to officially start for about a week and a half.

I'm *sort of* excited about NY and I'll get *some* shopping in. but I'm WAY MORE Stoked about this cruise I'm going on at the end of January 2011. Its a HEAVY METAL CRUISE called 70000 Tons of Metal. Forty metal bands and two thousand fans on a four night cruise! OMG. I'm hella hella stoked and that will be after my SECOND BFL challenge
Girl, you'll be lookin' sooo good by Jan!! That sounds like my DH's kinda cruise. We have been wanting to take one. Maybe THAT will be a reward for finishing BFL instead of a visit to the in-laws.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mica!! YEA!! Im glad you are joining in!! I was getting in a slump after I finished my first challenge, I'm so happy to have some partners in this next challenge. I do have some great support with other people, but, its just the fact that its body for life, ya know! Thank you by the way about the compliment on my arms.. LOL Now, if I can get my legs to do the same.

Kisha, You picked a perfect date to start! Are you going to get you pics professionally taken when you are done? I got my pics taken in a studio, but she did a crappy job, the next day I actully looked better, so, I took them myself and had everything sent off with in a few days. I had to write my essay.. LOL That was funny. Luckily a very good friend of mine proof read it for me, several times... You are going to be rockin' on that cruise! BFL is so easy to keep up with during and after. Its the whole, "getting in the groove of it" for the first couple weeks that is tough. After that its a no brainer! I love the HIITs!! There are many variations of it too! I change my hiits up all the time. Just make sure you try to increase you intensity up bits by bits so you body doesn't get a chance to get accustomed to the workout. I started with my highest speed (10) at 8mph, now its 9.5 mph.. You really gain endurance with this workout.. its great!

Have you all considered joining bodyforlife-tracker.com? On there you can join teams, where we all compete against eachother.. Its fun and motivating, everyone shares there meals and has great advice. Im on the "Team BadA$$" and yes it is dollar signs.. hehe

I am so happy!! This next challenge is going to be great! Too bad the gym is going to be closed tomorrow for Memorial day. I really wish that we had some better gyms here in town. a 24 hour fitness would be great! All of our gyms close early, and hours really suck on the weekends!
Old 05-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #19

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Jami, does erik have you weighing pre cooked?

I only weigh yams PRE cooked if making fries with them.. the same with rutabagas (as fries) because they dehydrate so much..
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ileen, Yes, he says to weigh oats, and potatoes dry/uncooked. Rice and meats are measured cooked..
Funny to see you here right now. I just read your "Gotta Wanna" article that Erik posted some time ago Great progress pic BTW! I cant wait until my thighs look even half way as good!
Old 05-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #21

Getting ready to go to the gym. I feel sort of nervous. What a dork.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shelby7851
Stats: 246/230/199(mini)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 06/26/13
I dont know about joining the contest, but I have been reading the Body for Life for Women book that I have, and am getting ready to start the program. I have to read the nutrition part again, and I am not excited about protein powder, I have used it in the past, and didn't like the taste of it at all. I also have the Eating for Life book thatI bought years ago and never used.

I hope you dont mind me following this thread, and hoping to pick up some pointers
shelby7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby7851 View Post
I dont know about joining the contest, but I have been reading the Body for Life for Women book that I have, and am getting ready to start the program. I have to read the nutrition part again, and I am not excited about protein powder, I have used it in the past, and didn't like the taste of it at all. I also have the Eating for Life book thatI bought years ago and never used.

I hope you dont mind me following this thread, and hoping to pick up some pointers
YAY Shelby! the more the merrier... From what I've read its perfectly acceptable to use whole foods only... just may be a major PITA eating little meals six times a day. Totally doable though especially if you use the cottage cheese/yogurt combo for several meals.
Okay thats it no more procrastinating I'm seriously going to the gym (for the first time in over a decade)
Old 05-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #24

W1 D1 UBWO1 (I did it... sort of!)

Well I did it! (sort of) My only real problem was I absolutely could NOT DO some of the second exercises. Here's how it went down:

DUMBELL BENCH PRESS
8LB x12
10LBS x10
12.5LBS x8
15LBS x6
12.5LBS x12
Second Exercise DUMBELL FLIES 12.5LBS x3! (could NOT do more reps of this)

So My notes are that I need to pick a better second exercise, like one I can actually do I'm thinking incline press

WIDE GRIP LAT PULLDOWN
30LBS x12
40LBS x10
50LBS x8
60LBS x6
50LBS x12
Second Exercise REVERSE GRIP PULL DOWN 50LBS x12

My Notes on this are that I only hit a level 8 or 9 def not a ten maybe go higher on weight next time

SEATED DUMBELL PRESS
5LBS x12
10LBS x10
12.5LBS x8
15LBS x 6
10LBS x12
Second Exercise SIDE RAISES 10LBS x4 and I only went half way up! Literally could NOT do the side raises with this weight.

My notes on this are to pick a different second exercise that I can acgtually do not sure WHAT exercise maybe cable rows.
OR AM I SUPPOSED TO USE A LOWER WEIGHT for the Second exercise? I'm a little confused on that part.????/

DUMBELL CURLS
5LBS x12
8LBS x10
10LBS x8
12LBS x6
8LBS x12
Second Exercise HAMMER CURLS 8LBS x12 (could barely do them but I did them surely hit a 12 but close to losing my form)

DUMBELL EXTENSIONS
5LBS x12
8LBS x10
10LBS x8
12LBS x6
10LBS x12
Second Exercise LYING DUMBELL EXTENSIONS 10LBS x12

My notes on this are that I hit a 9

I also did my HIIT on a treadmill. I know I prolly shouldn't do cardio same day but I really felt like it.

I am extremely out of shape and extremely overweight. My body fat percent is around 38% (OMG) and I just quit smoking a few months ago. All that said here's how my levels are hitting:

5 3.0
6 3.2
7 3.5
8 3.8
9 4.4 (jogging)
10 4.8 (jogging)

I can maybe push a tad on the nines and tens but I'm very close on the nines and tens at those levels. The good news is these will just continue to go up and up and faster and faster. Dude, my whole body shakes when I am jogging! ALL my fat just bounce bounce bounces LOL.

Last edited by Ilpirata; 05-30-2010 at 08:13 PM..
Old 05-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #25

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Try a lighter weight-generally less weight for upper body and more for lower.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Try a lighter weight-generally less weight for upper body and more for lower.
I'm just not clear on the instructions for BFL. Because he says to try to hit a nine on the last set of twelve reps and then move on to the next DIFFERENT exercise immediately and without rest to hit that nine ten again. I hit the nine with the weight I used on the first exercise... but when I do the second exercise I can't do any reps. I think the answer may be in the book I'm going to dig through it again.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Mica!! YEA!! Im glad you are joining in!! I was getting in a slump after I finished my first challenge, I'm so happy to have some partners in this next challenge. I do have some great support with other people, but, its just the fact that its body for life, ya know! Thank you by the way about the compliment on my arms.. LOL Now, if I can get my legs to do the same.

Kisha, You picked a perfect date to start! Are you going to get you pics professionally taken when you are done? I got my pics taken in a studio, but she did a crappy job, the next day I actully looked better, so, I took them myself and had everything sent off with in a few days. I had to write my essay.. LOL That was funny. Luckily a very good friend of mine proof read it for me, several times... You are going to be rockin' on that cruise! BFL is so easy to keep up with during and after. Its the whole, "getting in the groove of it" for the first couple weeks that is tough. After that its a no brainer! I love the HIITs!! There are many variations of it too! I change my hiits up all the time. Just make sure you try to increase you intensity up bits by bits so you body doesn't get a chance to get accustomed to the workout. I started with my highest speed (10) at 8mph, now its 9.5 mph.. You really gain endurance with this workout.. its great!

Have you all considered joining bodyforlife-tracker.com? On there you can join teams, where we all compete against eachother.. Its fun and motivating, everyone shares there meals and has great advice. Im on the "Team BadA$$" and yes it is dollar signs.. hehe

I am so happy!! This next challenge is going to be great! Too bad the gym is going to be closed tomorrow for Memorial day. I really wish that we had some better gyms here in town. a 24 hour fitness would be great! All of our gyms close early, and hours really suck on the weekends!
O wow how did I miss this post? NO I don't think I'll get my pics professionally taken my sister is a good photographer (and makeup artist) so she'll do my hair and makeup and we'll take them outside in the good morning light. Also I'll do all the tricks to dump water for a few days before (found a website with a plan for three days prior to pic taking).

Dude I am SO out of shape but i guess we've already covered that my nines are 4.4 jogging and ten is 4.8 jogging.

I'm sure this will be increasing rapidly.

I'm not on the BFL tracker site (yet) but do post on the BFL forums a little bit. I'm so spoiled by LCF!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:13 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitKat
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3-4-10
Hi, ladies!

I'd like to join you if I can! I got the book last week but haven't finished it yet. My goal is to start June 1st!

I've been eating LC and once I lost some weight, I started doing P90X. I'm such a weakling!!! But I notice that I'm definitely stronger. Since starting back up with my workouts I've added in carbs because I used to get dizzy if I did too much while eating VLC. I still try to have stuff that's fairly LC so I may need to stretch my thinking on some of that. I used to always eat low cal/low fat so this may not be too difficult. I am on medication for hypothyroidism so I am hungry a lot. I grew up as one of those really skinny kids (great metabolism) then kinda forced myself into being super skinny with terrible eating habits as a teenager (starving myself). Then gained and lost weight like crazy after the whole "thyroid thing" when I was 21. Now I'm 37 and want people to look at me and think, "Wow - she had 3 kids?!"

So my goals always used to be to be "skinny." Now I want to be healthy, strong, and muscular! I think nothing is more beautiful!

I would LOVE to have the support of all of you as I try to figure out what the heck I'm doing! I cannot wait to see the results when the challenge is done!

Thanks in advance to you all!!
FitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #29

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 8
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Hi everyone!

I'm reading along and just wanted to say HI and cheer you all along. BFL is a really good program!

Rachel
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #30

Hi FitKat, welcome. That thyroid is a ***** isn't it! Man like Pam says the thyroid is nothing to mess with. I'm hoping that in addition to getting fit this WOE and exercise will help heal my metabolism and body especially after the last horrible eighteen months of improper treatment (I've got a great doctor now).

Hey Rachel! Look at you cutie good to "see" you