Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lancer1977
Stats: 297/More healthy/Very healthy
WOE: Atkins 72ish
Start Date: 9/23/2011
Creatine Safe?

I was thinking about taking this supplement. My friend claims it causes death and blood clots. Can't seem to find much supporting evidence of this. Kre-Alakyn was the pills I was admiring. Anyone heard anything substantial to this degree?
lancer1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
creatine is very safe.. likely the most researched supplement.

Google will brinks. he has a lot of good stuff on it.

Plain ole monohydrate is the best.. nothing fancy and very cheap
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Spartan76
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 8, 2010
Yep, Creatine is a compound that is found occurring naturally within the human body, and in a lot of the red meat that we eat.

As Ileen said, it is widely researched, and has been proven safe and effective many times over. Many High School Football coaches give it to their teams for a legal strength boost.

I used regular Creatine Monohydrate for over a year consistently. It definitely gives awesome strength and muscle endurance gain, almost immediately after starting to take it......usually within 2-3 days. However, I found that Monohydrate caused me to retain some additional water, gave me a "puffy" look, and caused persistent bloating. When I recently switched to Sci Fit's Kre-Alkalyn product, I instantly dropped all the water, and the bloating went away too. The type of Creatine in Kre-Alkalyn is said to more easily absorbed and utilized than regular Monohydrate, and I'm now inclined to agree. I'm noticeably stronger on the bench after the switch too........but as always, it's each to his/her own. :-)
Spartan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I had purchased the sci fit as well. My friend saw it and started going nuts about how I was killing myself .Kinda freaked me out. Havent had any issues personally. He didnt know anyone.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NtlLifting
You should also know that although studies have said it to be safe, there are also studies that have proven that the gains you get from it, are lost when you stop taking it.

Also, it is a naturally occurring substance in your body. The more muscle you build, the more your body naturally makes. When you supplement your body with the substance, over time, it begins to not make as much on its own. Therefore, when you stop taking it, it takes your body time to "remember" how to make it on its own.

One other point is that there are rumors going around that the big sports leagues have talked of banning the substance (especially colleges).

Just a thought to consider. It's always best to do your own research and decide for yourself.
NtlLifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Oh, I thought you normally got creatine from eatting meats. Somewhat like CLA?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NtlLifting
Creatine is a substance that is made by your kidneys and liver from arginine, glycine and methionine. You do get about half of the creatine your body stores from food (mainly meats), but the rest of it, your body makes itself. A typical guy will store about 120g of phospho-creatine (creatine with a phosphate group attached) in the skeletal muscles. There is a little that goes to the heart and brain, but most of it is stored in the muscles.

What happens is, when you work out you use ATP (adenoside tri-phosphate). This is the body’s main energy source. When this is broken down to make energy, it looses a phosphate group and becomes adenoside di-phosphate (ADP). In an attempt to make more energy faster for your muscles, the ADP steals a phosphate group from the phospho-creatine to make ATP again. Then the cycle repeats.

They say to take creatine right before your workouts because if you have more in your system, you can turn more ADP into ATP. The only thing is that your muscles can only store so much phospho-creatine.

Creatine also induces your muscles to take up water and swell. This is the initial ‘gain’ that you see in muscle size. The theory is that more water in your cells makes it easier to get nutrients and amino acids in and out, which promotes recovery. This is also why, when you stop taking it, the 'gain' in size you saw, goes away. I have seen the 'gains' come and go with friends who have taken it. The recovery theory I have not researched enough to say whether or not I buy it.
NtlLifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
Creatine is a naturally occurring substance and key to building powerful skeletal muscle—huge biceps, defined “diamond” triceps, big pecs and more. Creatine is one of the most widely used sports supplements on the market today. Primary use is in strength and bulk-building exercises that improve performance for high-intensity sports, maximize your workouts, and give you an edge in anaerobic athletic competitions.

Creatine Supplements - Safest & Most Effective Creatine
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:14 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer1977 View Post
Oh, I thought you normally got creatine from eatting meats. Somewhat like CLA?
you do. and some people are non responders to creatine.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:55 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
As others have summarized, Creatine is safe (mostly). I've seen anecdotal stories where people have said they were able to work too hard in the gym from Creatine, causing muscle tears or other injuries.

For me, Creatine works well and seems to help me get some extra reps. I was able to get more muscle soreness after working out within the first week of taking it again. I know muscle soreness in itself isn't always the goal, nor the only indicator that muscles will grow, but for me it usually means my muscles will be getting bigger and stronger.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, I'm really bursting out of my shirts lately lol. Even if its a temporary while on the pill thing its fun times. I can't say I've had any issue with it. A lot of its benefits seem to be psychosomatic. I feel stronger because I think I am. I've gained weight since popping these guys which was a little shocking but I've come to grips with it.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
For me as what i have known the human body itself will produce around 2 grams of creatine daily. So, the additional 2-400 mgs on top of what your body naturally produces gives you a 10-20% increase in the pool of available creatine. The problem is with the 4.6 grams of toxic creatinine you'd also be ingesting. You just have to start looking at it differently. Most of the creatine is lost when added to liquid, and even more is converted to creatinine when passing through the acidic stomach. In contrast, Kre-Alkalyn gives you a full, stable uptake of pure creatine with zero toxic conversion. All the good, none of the bad.

For more info read this site : Kre-Alkalyn Creatine FACTS
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Anyone notice weight gain more so then what you normally would from lifting on Creatine? I've gained about 7 lbs in 3 weeks still eatting 2k cal 150-180g protein. I have been using the kre-alkalyn. Was going to try stopping it for a bit and see if my weight got under control again incase it was water.