Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 02:49 AM   #2101
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Matt. do you take vit D? Ever have those levels tested.zinc really helps cut down the cold/infection, once you get it..

plowin along here. Having my 18yo high school grad party today.. and free day for me..

well onestepcloser

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2010, 03:34 AM   #2102
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
Matt. do you take vit D? Ever have those levels tested.zinc really helps cut down the cold/infection, once you get it..

plowin along here. Having my 18yo high school grad party today.. and free day for me..

well onestepcloser
I take Vitamin D3 sporadically. Probably an average of twice a week. I get a decent amount of sun, but I've never had my levels checked.

I also take Zinc to help keep Testosterone as elevated as naturally possible. Maybe it has helped me reduce the severity of some of my colds, but unfortunately I've still had a few this year.

I'm going to try to place a higher emphasis on getting more and better sleep. I think that is one of the areas that I can most drastically improve to help my health.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:56 AM   #2103

sleep is definite a factor in recovery, especially when dieting so often. Everyone should test their d levels as most dont get the right amt of sun even if they are IN the sun because we are not on the right plane(near the equator)
Old 08-07-2010, 04:08 AM   #2104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MortNuke
Stats: 5"10" 213/190/190;
WOE: Clean Eating / P90X
Start Date: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcloser View Post
Hey everyone! I just started lifting. I'd done some lifting in the past, but not much. I am very much a beginner when it comes to weights, but am looking forward to learning more! My main goal right now is fat loss, and I know gaining muscle while in a caloric deficit is pretty difficult, but I'm hoping to at least gain strength and preserve the muscle I do have right now.
Hi onestepcloser,

Your goal to "gain strength and preserve the muscle you have" is a great reason to do regular weight lifting, and perhaps a bit of cardio sprinkled in as well. Also, the improvements you'll see in the mirror after just a few weeks of shaping and toning are a great motivator!

While learning more about weightlifting, keep in mind your present fitness level...find a balance between challenging your muscles but avoiding injury. A good warm-up and cooldown can really help with this. You'll see a lot of great advice in this area of the forum, on-line, as well as on FitTV if you have that at home.

A good start is 2 - 3 weightlifting workouts per week that last about 45 minutes including warmup and cooldown. Consider a cardio workout on an off day (non-weightlifting day). Adding some whey protein can be very beneficial to you as well.

Check in and let us know what you are doing!

Mort
Old 08-07-2010, 06:59 AM   #2105

Gallery: Ilpirata
Hi onestepcloser....

For someone like you just starting out with lifting you'll have a honeymoon period where you will indeed be able to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Have fun!
Old 08-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #2106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SophieM
Stats: 5'1
WOE: Varies
Just checking in. Still struggling with depression and have consequently lost about 7 lbs in the last week - week and a half. Took progress pictures and everything today and things aren't looking as bad as it could, especially since I have no physique goals, just strength gains LOL

Here are the numbers:

and here are the pictures: Definitely leaner, no doubt about that.

August 7, 2010

I don't know when I'll be back to stay. I'm still planning on lifting and everything, even if I really don't want to. I know I NEED to, especially when things get like this.

~~~Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal;
nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.~~~
Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #2107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: onestepcloser
WOE: LC/Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortNuke View Post
Hi onestepcloser,

Your goal to "gain strength and preserve the muscle you have" is a great reason to do regular weight lifting, and perhaps a bit of cardio sprinkled in as well. Also, the improvements you'll see in the mirror after just a few weeks of shaping and toning are a great motivator!

While learning more about weightlifting, keep in mind your present fitness level...find a balance between challenging your muscles but avoiding injury. A good warm-up and cooldown can really help with this. You'll see a lot of great advice in this area of the forum, on-line, as well as on FitTV if you have that at home.

A good start is 2 - 3 weightlifting workouts per week that last about 45 minutes including warmup and cooldown. Consider a cardio workout on an off day (non-weightlifting day). Adding some whey protein can be very beneficial to you as well.

Check in and let us know what you are doing!

Mort
Hey Mort! Thanks so much for the advice. There is such a great community on this forum. I will check in and let you all know how I'm doing. I'll be lifting tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
Hi onestepcloser....

For someone like you just starting out with lifting you'll have a honeymoon period where you will indeed be able to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Have fun!
Thank you! Gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time sounds nice to me, even if it's only during the honeymoon period

I'm so glad to be finally getting back into the gym after not working out regularly for a long time.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #2108
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Everyone seems to be doing so good! It has been a while huh? This summer has been so busy but fun. I went to my first competition. It was the USA Bodybuilding Competition (NPC). I loved it.

Soooooo...........I will be competing in November in the Las Vegas Classic. I will be doing the Bikini competition. There is Bikini, Figure, and Women's bodybuilding. Bikini needs muscle but not as much as Figure and you do a walk instead of the posing in Figure. I am truly excited and nervous. I will keep this board posted.

Ileen and Jami and others - I hope you are doing well.

I love weight lifting (fountain of youth) and enjoy a low carb lifestyle.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #2109

Very exciting Ayana!! Do keep us up to date on your progress.

All well with me..
Old 08-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #2110
Senior LCF Member

Hello all! I've lifted 3x a week for the last two weeks, doing fullbody weights workouts. I'm very new to lifting, so what I consider challenging weights would be ridiculously light to you guys LOVE IT so far!

Just a quick question for you lifters... do you guys carb up ever (either planned carb up meals or carb up days)? I know some lifters will follow a cyclical ketogenic diet instead of a straight ketogenic diet so I was wondering what you guys do (if you eat a ketogenic diet, that is).
Old 08-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #2111

i eat starchy carbs daily and never do a keto diet (my coach doesnt believe in LC..

When my cals are low (tail end of dieting) we also add in a refeed of increased carbs all day long, weekly.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #2112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
i eat starchy carbs daily and never do a keto diet (my coach doesnt believe in LC..

When my cals are low (tail end of dieting) we also add in a refeed of increased carbs all day long, weekly.
Thanks for the input! I still have about 40lbs. to lose (a little under) and I find I lose and feel best when eating low carb (~30g/day). I'm not sure if I'm carb sensitive. Now that I'm lifting, I don't know if I will need to incorporate the occasional carby meal to replenish glycogen, etc.?
Old 08-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #2113

some people do TKD (targeted carbs around training)
Old 08-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #2114
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
some people do TKD (targeted carbs around training)
I've read about this but I don't know if I would be able to plan well enough to do this (I dont know if I know my body well enough yet to get the timing and amounts right). I will look into this more. Thank you! You look amazing btw!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #2115

thank you!

I saved this out of the keto book
(lyle mcdonald
)
Quote:

For this reason, individuals who wish to use a ketogenic
diet and perform high-intensity exercise must integrate carbohydrates without disrupting the
effects of ketosis.

Two modified ketogenic diets are described in this book which approach this issue from
different directions. The targeted ketogenic diet (TKD) allows carbohydrates to be consumed
immediately around exercise, to sustain performance without affecting ketosis.

The cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD) alternates periods of ketogenic dieting with periods of high-carbohydrate
consumption. The period of high-carbohydrate eating refills muscle glycogen to sustain exercise
performance.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #2116
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
thank you!

I saved this out of the keto book
(lyle mcdonald
)
Thank you!!! That's very helpful
Old 01-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #2117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Bump.

I know this is a REALLY old thread but I needed the information found here because in a few months I am planning to start a program of rigorous weight training and I was unsure how best to do that and still remain low-carb.

After looking at this thread and reading about TKD on several bodybuilding web sites, I have decided that when the time comes, I will have one banana 30-60 minutes before my workouts and I will have a protein shake afterwards. It's perfect! And I'll be getting extra potassium, too.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #2118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
Yay! So glad there are more lifters here. Today was my cardio day, so I did a cardio/light weight/step combo aerobics class in the AM, used heavy weights for the rows and bicep curls. snuck in half a spin class with yoga stretches after, had my turkey lettuce wrap snacks, then walked home (1/3 of it was uphill). Awesome.

Last Saturday I was very motivated because of being snowed in - attempted to use the home treadmill to warm up but it is upstairs and I really cannot go more than 3.5 MPH on it. ):

So, instead I broke out my yoga mat, did some fast squats and alternating leg kicks for my warmup, and did countless sets of bicep curls, open/shuts, bridges with a weight on my abs, chest presses, and tricep dips. Finished out with another round of low-impact cardio and some pushups followed by bicycles, situps, and planks with alternating leg lifts, elbow-to-hands, and pikes. About 100 minutes total.

I haven't found an LC diet to be a big problem in my workouts, but I get very hungry afterwards and can't seem to follow cardio with weights. However for carb burning it's always advantageous to do muscles before cardio, anyway.

In fact, I found my waist has slimmed more, I haven't loss muscle mass, and my abs and shoulders are way more defined on an LC diet than a calorie-restricted one. I also sleep much better and don't crave caffeine (hm.)

I do get far, far, far thirstier though and have begun to stock NUUN electrolyte tablets to kick my fluids up a notch. 1g carbs per tablet but no sugar.

I've tripled my lifting and dropped 10 lbs since I began my current diet and exercise regime about a year ago.

I'm petite, and "maintaining" via an LC diet for psychological reasons. I've got OCD and went through some severe eating disorder issues where I followed unhealthy eating and exercising habits. LC and weight lifting have gone hand in hand in giving me a body I love and rules I can follow without guilt!

Since others have been posting their stats, I'll say I'm barely 100 lbs at 5'1 and have gone from lifting 1lb forearms and 5lb biceps to 20-40 lb machine rows, 15lb dumbell rows, 12-15 lb bicep curls (similar chest/shoulder) and 3 minute planks. I swear my quickest progress was after going LC.

One thing I was completely unaware of at induction was the b1 deficiency. I had always had low blood pressure until going low carb, so at first I ignored the symptoms of cold extremities and sore muscles but it got very severe until a light clicked on in my head: thiamine. I'm not eating bread or rice. no added thiamine! After a week of sore muscles from a single spin class and blue toes and fingers that fell asleep often, I started taking a b1 supplement with breakfast daily. Cured! Has anyone else figured that out the hard way? My multivitamin did not have any B1 in it.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #2119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LocoPollo
Stats: 143.5/139.5/120
WOE: HCG P2 VLCD6
Start Date: Monday
Wow! I need to look into that low B1. I have had blue fingers but never linked it to if I'm low carbine or not. That's interesting.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #2120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Bump.

I know this is a REALLY old thread but I needed the information found here because in a few months I am planning to start a program of rigorous weight training and I was unsure how best to do that and still remain low-carb.

After looking at this thread and reading about TKD on several bodybuilding web sites, I have decided that when the time comes, I will have one banana 30-60 minutes before my workouts and I will have a protein shake afterwards. It's perfect! And I'll be getting extra potassium, too.
If the banana could possibly knock you out of ketosis, I wouldn't bother.
Drink broth an hour before if you think you need the energy.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #2121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
Broth or nut butter before is a good idea. I tend to get the empty stomach feeling quickly, so if I am going to lift in the evening I have a small serving (2 oz) of a starchy snack along with a carb blocker and cinnamon, plus some fat (butter, cinnamon + sweet potato or winter squash is a good one). or if I don't have any starchy veg available, some avocado and cheese or low carb crackers and nut butter.

BPC is a great option in the morning!

I bring EAS carb control shakes and MET-RX or lifelift protein bars if I'm doing a super intense workout or walking home afterwards.

I can't get results on my ketostix so I have no idea if this strategy is working, but don't care too much as it's only pre/post workout and I'm in maintenance.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #2122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84k View Post
If the banana could possibly knock you out of ketosis, I wouldn't bother.
Drink broth an hour before if you think you need the energy.
I am not embarking on my weight training journey until I am already at my goal weight, so I will not be concerned with weight loss, only maintenance. Ketosis is a concern only insofar as it contributes to maintenance. That said, I am committed to low-carb as a permanent WOE and that includes my maintenance plan. Therefore, I do agree that bananas are not a good choice because they are a no-no even in maintenance. But I will not be eating only broth before a heavy lifting session. Something in between, perhaps?

Maybe a nice Greek yogurt & berry shake. It will have enough carbs to fuel the workout without being excessive.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #2123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: werkn'it
Stats: 187/129/125
WOE: Atkins'ish
Start Date: 8/13 (this time around)
Hi Nikki. Your stats and mine are similar... I want to get 50 lbs down and then start weight training. Silly, I know, but I want to be able to say I've lost 50 lbs before I perhaps start gaining muscle weight. My weight loss has been very slow lately, though my clothes fit better. I'm pre-planning though on the work-outs and for some reason, is motivating.

I'm with you on bananas - I'd be leery of them until I had maintenance under my belt for several years.
Closed Thread