Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackdiesel View Post
Hi Laura,

Here I thought you had a threadjack boycott going due to all the CKD/Carb-Cycling/Calorie-Cycling discussion.

You have to do what works for you, and you seem to know what that is. Sometimes you have to put blinders on to the information overload and trust your own knowledge and instincts.

-Stack
Nah, Stack. I just haven't been online much the last few days. Personally, I think the carb & calorie cycling makes a lot of sense, and may just try that if "Plan B" doesn't get me where I want. It worked before, so I'm praying it'll work again. It just seems crazy to me to keep doing what's not working, you know?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stackdiesel
Stats: 238/196/Unknown
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
It just seems crazy to me to keep doing what's not working, you know?
I sure do. As a very smart guy named Einstein once said, "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Old 02-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #183
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Great quote from Einstein. I see a who gym full of insanee's lol..

New rules is an awesome book. ExRx (Exercise Prescription) on the Net is a great reference to TONS of exercise selections.

I used to train at 5 am.. the only think i can say is if you want to make it a habit, you will have to force yourself up and out of bed. It became normal for me and I feel better and stronger early. Im traing most often around late afternoon and im tired.

ultimately it's whatever you know you will do at that particular time.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
I workout @ home about 5am 6 days a week. This is the only time I have and I still have days I need to force myself out of bed and the odd day where I just don't get up .

Definitely you have to fake it till you make it (a habit).

Speaking of missing workouts didn't catch up yesterday mornings missed UB weights workout last night. But I was up for a steady state cardio workout with yoga/streching this morning (wasn't feelin' it for HIIT).
Old 02-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mayberryfan
Stats: 22/14/10 or 8 if I can!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 6, 2007
30 minutes rebounding today - a nice fast-paced jog.

Hope everyone had a great Wednesday!
Old 02-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Decided to add in the 20-minute Winsor Pilates w/o.

Just LOVE the energy this WOE gives me!! My 12-yr old neice told me the other day that I have energy like a kid now. Made my day!!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: speedymagee
Stats: highest176/now150/145ish
WOE: CAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackdiesel View Post
However, my experience has been that whatever non-training factors (work, kids, etc., as opposed to being sore and not recovered from your previous workout) cause you to miss the planned session often bleed over into more than one day. Psychologically, the training session becomes an "event" as opposed to something you are supposed to do that day and approach in a workmanlike manner, and you keep putting it off until your rest, nutrition, or whatever create the optimal or perfect set of conditions for the workout. For me, this mindset often resulted in a 2-week hiatus and regression.
This!!
I have a list of things to accomplish this year, goals if you will. While it makes sense to have tangible goals, make 2 extra loan payments, be able to do 10 proper push ups etc. Working out can't be a goal it has to be something that gets done, like showering.

Plodding along with kettlebells, having a blast.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Hey everyone, I'm trying to do a refeed day today - ala Lyle McDonald - and I'm struggling with it a bit. Oh the guilt! Well, I'll be okay. I'm trying to keep my extra carbs to good things like old-fashioned oatmeal, a little pineapple and some sweet potato. However, he says make them starchy carbs so I may (trying to talk myself into) have a regular burger with the bun.

Okay, did my workout because I'm about to go give blood and can't do it later.
Pilates & push-ups (girly-style) for warm-up
20 Squats @ 62 lbs
40 Bird Dogs
20 deadlifts @ 62 lbs
15 planks - 10 count each
Bench press - 8 @ 62 lbs / 15 @ 30 lbs. Gave me trouble today!
10 Flys @ 20 lbs.
30 Toe raises @ 15 lbs
Old 02-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

got my UB weights workout done this morning (not re-posting details as it's the same workout still). Tossing up if I want to sneak a weigh-in tomorrow morning or wait until Monday. It's 50/50 that the Sat morning weigh-in will motivate me for the weekend or give me permission to relax ! Although I have a fairly busy weekend (thankfully not as manic as last weekend), which should make staying on-plan easier with little downtime for relaxing/eating.

I really need to make some time to do my full body measurements. I haven't done them in over 3 months, just been measuring my waist (which hasn't changed much ). I guess I should do relaxed & flexed muscles too so I can measure growth. Not going to have time 1st thing in the am, but that shouldn't matter for anything other than waist right?

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
Old 02-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #190

always do your measurements first thing.. food water extra can change your measurement.

Mayberry you dont have to eat bread for starchies.. there's rice, potato (white and swt) and all kinds of goodies that dont have to include wheat (many are sensitive)

I believe you are supposed to keep the fructose (fruit) on the low end.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Ileen, I have always done that in the past just thinking of my schedule this weekend and not sure I'll have the extra 15min to do that in the morning . Maybe Sunday I'll set the alarm for 5:30 instead of 5:45 (which is a sleep in from during the week = 4:45am).
Old 02-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Terra2721
Stats: 232/164/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: restart 9/17/2012
Gave up my rest day today since a snow storm is coming and I most likely won't get to the gym again until Sunday or Monday. I kinda cheated on waiting a month to measure....looking for a new little black dress for a event and needed to measure to get an idea of if the dress I am interested in will fit....even though I haven't dropped weight, my waist and hip measurements were smaller...very encouraging!
Old 02-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

congrats Terra, gotta love lossing inches even if the scale being a !@($&!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Siggie
Just ordered the New Rules.

M and tomorrow- circuit training with trainer.

M and Today- spin class

Today- Bodyworks and Abs class (A weighted workout set to the rhythm of the music. This class improves overall strength and endurance through the use of dumbbells) I used 7.5 weights. It has high number of reps like 45. SUPER WORKOUT!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:05 AM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lisa46
Stats: 164/117/128 -- 5'4"
WOE: LC with balance
Start Date: Recommitted 4-18-06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggie View Post
Just ordered the New Rules.

M and tomorrow- circuit training with trainer.

M and Today- spin class

Today- Bodyworks and Abs class (A weighted workout set to the rhythm of the music. This class improves overall strength and endurance through the use of dumbbells) I used 7.5 weights. It has high number of reps like 45. SUPER WORKOUT!
Siggie, you spin? Don't you love it? Spinning has really helped me strengthen my low back/core and my legs are getting some awesome definition! What club do you take the classes at? I love the description of your Bodyworks/Abs class...I have to check Lifetime Fitness out to see if they have anything like it!
Old 02-05-2010, 03:50 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

I love spin class. Yes, it strengthens and defines. I spin at 24 Hour Fitness.

I also have taken the 24 lift class (highly efficient, full-body 24 Hour Fitness signature weight training workout that uses barbells and hand weights to strengthen and sculpt all muscle groups.) This class is also set to music.

I took the Bodyworks and Abs class at LA fitness.

Both classes use high reps low weight. (definitions of the classes came from the gyms not me)

When I lift on my own. I lift heavier weights low reps.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Did weights yesterday so today was just rebounding for 30 minutes.

Btw - while giving blood yesterday I saw a lady I used to work with 3-4 years ago and she didn't even recognize me.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:31 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

did LB weights + HIIT + steady-state cardio, yoga & stretching (~2hr) this morning. As recommended in this thread I did the weights first, usually I do HIIT first. Managed 5 HIIT intervals at 60/30, then 10 @ 30/30. So I got the full 15 in even if they weren't all the longer ones .

Rest day tomorrow with dance instructor training in the afternoon. Enjoy your weekends everyone should 'see' you all Monday my time.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:44 AM   #199

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Can I officially join this group? My trainer has me doing carb cycling these days, so I am thinking I fit into the "lifting and low carbing" category now.

I am currently at 25 percent body fat and my first goal is 20 percent, which I should meet sometime in March. I started at 34 percent in November, so I've seen many changes in my body so far. I am so ready to burn off the last 8-9 pounds of fat.

My trainer changes my plan weekly. This week, I'm doing a three day full body workout, with thirty minutes of low intensity walking on the treadmill after the full body workout. I'm getting stronger, which is really cool. Last night, I did chest presses with 20 pound dumbbells, and I couldn't lift those in the beginning.

Today I'm on day 1 of low carb. I'm glad I know how to do low-carb really well.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Weight training equals= Stronger and leaner

example.
8 months ago, I could not even do one push up. I did them either against the wall or on the floor with my stomach on the floor and me just pushing up my chest up- I could not do too many of these. Now I can do a 100 push ups (girlie style) or 50 inclined push ups.

So far no batwings.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Yay for progress!!!

I've seen a great deal of progress since I started lifting weights, but I'm frustrated with not making as much progress in my upper body. I know women tend to have more lower body strength since mother nature knows we need it for birthin' babies. But, I want my upper body to catch up.

I ordered one of Lyle McDonald's books as Ileen suggested and it's interesting reading. I think I've been way under-eating protein and that may be part of my problem. So, the search continues for the right balance of nutrition and exercise!

The really good thing is: I'm more determined now than ever. In the past, I'd just give up. Now, I know I can reach my goals if I just keep working.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #202

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberryfan View Post
Yay for progress!!!

I've seen a great deal of progress since I started lifting weights, but I'm frustrated with not making as much progress in my upper body. I know women tend to have more lower body strength since mother nature knows we need it for birthin' babies. But, I want my upper body to catch up.

I ordered one of Lyle McDonald's books as Ileen suggested and it's interesting reading. I think I've been way under-eating protein and that may be part of my problem. So, the search continues for the right balance of nutrition and exercise!

The really good thing is: I'm more determined now than ever. In the past, I'd just give up. Now, I know I can reach my goals if I just keep working.
Just a few things to keep in mind regarding your concerns -- and I'm not implying that you don't already know this. Just mentioning it for a reminder:

Nutrition: You want to build your body up, not tear it down, so that means consuming enuf cals to have enuf energy to train hard to build muscle -- and then burn fat. Specifically your post-workout nutrition is very critical. After your workouts is when you most want to get a blend of protein and carbs in because it saves the muscles from getting broken down for energy since you're STILL burning cals after you've finished working out. If you limit your body's ability to recover by skimping on post-workout nutrition, that will negatively impact your workouts.

I would suggest 1 gr protein per pound of body weight for starters, particularly insuring that you get a decent amount of lean protein (a rapid-absorbing protein shake post-workout is ideal) both before and after your workouts.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #203

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Let Gravity Do the Work

Quote:
"Lifting too fast -- a comon mistake -- impacts the results you get from weight training. The negative/eccentric contraction (or down phase of the motion) is the most important factor in lifting," says Brad Schoenfeld, CSCS, author of Sculpting Her Body Perfect, Third Edition (Human Kinetics, 2007). If you don't resist the weight on the negative portion, you're missing out on more than half the exercise. In fact, research shows that the eccentric, or muscle-lengthening part of the lift, is more important in terms of muscle development than the concentric, or muscle-shortening part. Aim for slow, controlled lifts, taking one to two seconds on the up lift and two to four on the down. "

"Eccentric contractions cause more microscopic tears in the muscles than concentric contractions, which can lead to greater strength and size gains."
Oxygen Magazine

Old 02-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
[FONT="Georgia"]Let Gravity Do the Work

This is very important. It changed my workouts when my trainer taught me this last November!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #205

we have all different tempos on my program.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the tips! I do try to lift and lower at the same basic controlled rate. For a while I was doing the 10 counts up, 10 counts down thing but it got to be tedious.

I've been trying to let my appetite be my guide in how much to eat, but I definitely think I need to up my protein a bit, and cut back a little on fat. Today, prior to rebounding for 30 minutes, I had a large protein shake with 2 scoops of whey isolate (normally use only 1), 1/4 cup half and half, 1/3 cup egg beaters, cold water and nutmeg. Was delish! Tasted like egg nog. I let that settle for about 45 minutes to an hour and then did my rebounding. I just don't want to eat usually after working out, unless I do so on an empty stomach - which is not good, I know. I never lift weights on an empty stomach, but will rebound sometimes that way.

I ALWAYS appreciate good advice. Keep those tips coming! That's what I love about this place. You learn so much!!

Last edited by Mayberryfan; 02-06-2010 at 02:15 PM..
Old 02-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #207

I see many women at my gym who are lifting and lowering weights as fast as they possible can, and I used to use momentum quite a bit myself. I do 2-4-2 or sometimes 3-5-2, depending on how my consultant sets my workout that week.

My nutrition changes on a regular basis. My low carb days are set with a starting place of 1 gram of protein per body weight.

I only have three workouts this week (usually have four.)
Old 02-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #208

rebounding is not true hiit which you are hitting VO2max (meaning to exhaustion) .. its more intervalish and that doesnt really have to be fed immediately prior. It can even be done on an empty stomach if you really wanted.

Not to say you dont need eat a certain amt of food/protein..

Last edited by inatic; 02-06-2010 at 02:30 PM..
Old 02-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Great tips.

I usually take Bcaa before working out and L-Glutamine afterwards. I also Drink a protein drink afterwards (usually pure protein- 4 carbs/35 protein).
Old 02-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
rebounding is not true hiit which you are hitting VO2max (meaning to exhaustion) .. its more intervalish and that doesnt really have to be fed immediately prior. It can even be done on an empty stomach if you really wanted.

Not to say you dont need eat a certain amt of food/protein..
Sometimes when I rebound I will do intervals where I warm-up for 5 minutes, then jump as hard as I can for 1 minute, jog for 1 minute and then alternate for 20 minutes and then a slower jog to cool down for 5 minutes.

Today, I just did a basic jog with no full-out jumping. So, I know that wasn't a HITT workout.
Closed Thread