Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Muscle Matters!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #1981
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MortNuke
Stats: 5"10" 213/190/190;
WOE: Clean Eating / P90X
Start Date: 2009
Yes, Kisha. Change things up to prevent plateaus - where your body gets used to the workouts. I've not done BFL, but here in the P90X world, it's referred to as "muscle confusion". Switching things up every 4 - 6 weeks keeps your muscles challenged, prevents them from getting used to the Movement/Speed/# Reps/# Sets, even Free Weights vs. Machine vs. Resistance Bands vs. Bodyweight.

Mort

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #1982
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Thanks for the input you two! I'll stick with the changes even if it takes a few workouts to really settle in. Its disconcerting not being certain what weight to go for.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:18 AM   #1983
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MortNuke
Stats: 5"10" 213/190/190;
WOE: Clean Eating / P90X
Start Date: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
Its disconcerting not being certain what weight to go for.
You're not alone...Everyone struggles with deciding how much weight to use. One way to make it a little more "scientific", and less guesswork - is to write it down. A simple table of Weight / #Reps / Comments" for every exercise is helpful to solve this problem.

During your workout, review your exercise record before you start each exercise. How much weight did you use? Did you hit your target? Use what you wrote down to select the weight you are about to use on the exercise to hit your target #Reps, then write down what you did. This info will be used the next time you do this exercise.

Is your target #Reps 8 - 10? Maybe 12 - 15? Within a few workouts, you'll know exactly how much weight to use to challenge yourself AND hit the #Reps target.

Hey, I see you are in San Jose! I spent about 5 years in Milpitas in my childhood, before moving to the Seattle area (Enumclaw, WA). You've also inspired me to look up BFL and learn more about it.

Mort
Old 07-13-2010, 04:40 AM   #1984
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
gang, trying to keep up with this thread isn't easy when you are MIA for nearly 2 weeks!! So I'm not going to try .

Did a small (2 sets) UB workout this morning as I was short on time but I did one. First in over a week - again .

Heading to bed now (9:30pm) so I can be up for another workout tomorrow. I'm going to try adding HIIT to the end of my weights workouts as I'm not finding time for separate weights / HIIT workouts. This way I can do 4-day split workout and maybe look at dance training, pilates, yoga or just a good rest day the other 3 days a week.

Did do my second circuit this morning at higher weight than the 1st and will probably start at that weight next time, so conditioning is OK .

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
Old 07-13-2010, 05:57 AM   #1985
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Hi Oz! Nice to see you! Im so glad to see that you are still doing you boot camp challenges! I popped in there to see yesterday and there were lots of people all rearing to go. Im sure it has helped lots of people out I really want to start bringing more cardio into my plan too. It seems like lifting is all I do lately.

Good morning everyone! Yesterday's LBWO went much better than last weeks.. I was able to do 4x8's, 2 workouts for my quads and 1 for my hams, than I was done. I was going to do 2 for each but I punked out towards the end.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:11 AM   #1986

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
shall be doing lower body here IF my (home gym) is safe to enter.. the sump pump isnt working and there is 'spillage' in my gym!

blech!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 AM   #1987
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
shall be doing lower body here IF my (home gym) is safe to enter.. the sump pump isnt working and there is 'spillage' in my gym!

blech!!!!!!!!!
GROSS!! That's a smelly mess!! I hope they have it all cleaned up and pump replaced.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #1988

Okay I finally had a killer workout this morning. LBWO Sunday was off and cardio HIIT last night was a total joke. Seem to have it back together this a.m.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #1989
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good job Kisha! I hate it when my workout lag too. It nice to get in there and really kick butt!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #1990
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: yorick
Stats: 5'8" 187/170/160
Start Date: May 2009
Quote:
NEED ADVICE RE Changing up Exercises.

So, as y'all know I'm doing Body for Life I'm starting week seven and I think I'm supposed to change my workouts? He doesn't address this specifically in the book but its what people seem to say on the BFL forum. Is this true? I really *like* the workouts I'm doing with the exception that I think I need to start doing DLs for my Hamstrings.
Kisha,
If you think the Deadlifts will help your hamstrings more than your regular exercises are, then I don't think you can go wrong with it. I'm sure the other variations work well too - the straight leg, Romanian, etc, but regular ones work great too. Plus, you have the previous powerlifting experience. I'm sure you'll find your deadlift groove really quickly if you haven't been doing them for awhile.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #1991

Yeah thank god! I'm wanting to do a little jogging after my HIIT to test out my tendonitis too. I've been off the impact for two weeks now and am going to start doing just five minutes slow steady maybe 4.4 speed just to test how it feels. I'll be tacking that on after my HIIT workout tomorrow morning just to see how the old ankle feels.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #1992
Major LCF Poster!

So, 2 workout mornings in a row for me - I think I'm back in the groove .

This morning I did 2 circuits of LB weights, 12 reps HIIT, yoga/streches and felt great. I'm not looking for fitness model physique; am happy with the muscle I've already built and need to keep my workout time to about 1hr 15min max this seems a good compromise. 2 circuits weights + HIIT + yoga/streches. This week will be a bit off as I missed Monday so will do 4 days in a row - weekends are out for workouts really.

Next week I'll do split UB Mon, LB Tues, Rest Wed, UB Thurs, LB Fri. Weighed-in for my boot camp challenge group this morning (only 2 days late ) and got a pleasant surprise. Was expecting something similar to last week ~160, but I guess that was TOM inflated as I'm 153 this morning . Not sure those last 5# will ever come off and stay off, but I'm happy with where I'm at size wise and maintaining that for over 6 months now. Still some flabby bits I'd love to get rid off and they are getting better.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #1993
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi OZ!!
That is the workout that I am trying to go for.. the splits. I hate working out Friday nights after I've worked all day. Its tough. I basically only workout Monday - Thursdays. I really need to get some cardio back into the plan.
It seems like your workouts are great for calorie burning! I know how you feel about those last 5 lbs! Isn't it frustrating! Good job on the low this am!
I have spent 2 years trying to get back to 135.. I can make it to 139 for a day, then the next shoots me back up to 143.. go figure. The scale isn't everything though, are you measuring yourself? Is the Measuring tape at least moving?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #1994
Major LCF Poster!

Well, thanks to Sophie's suggestion, I'm going to give the Anabolic Diet a try. I ended up forking out some money on a book instead of trying to piece it together myself. I figure if I spend some money I'll be more motivated to make it work - plus, I like all of the background info and science that goes along with it.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
Well, thanks to Sophie's suggestion, I'm going to give the Anabolic Diet a try. I ended up forking out some money on a book instead of trying to piece it together myself. I figure if I spend some money I'll be more motivated to make it work - plus, I like all of the background info and science that goes along with it.
Honestly Matt i think buying the book is the way to go. Do I have a shelf-full of diet books? well yeah... but the diets I do best with are always ones that I have full (book provided) knowledge of.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #1996
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Honestly Matt i think buying the book is the way to go. Do I have a shelf-full of diet books? well yeah... but the diets I do best with are always ones that I have full (book provided) knowledge of.
Thanks Kisha. I'm pretty excited to give something new a try.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #1997

and I'm curious to see how it goes for you. Man I like the looks of the eating during the week... LOVE to eat like that. But two day carb ups and 5 days no carb makes my head spin LOL. I know you'll keep us posted.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #1998
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Hi OZ!!
That is the workout that I am trying to go for.. the splits. I hate working out Friday nights after I've worked all day. Its tough. I basically only workout Monday - Thursdays. I really need to get some cardio back into the plan.
It seems like your workouts are great for calorie burning! I know how you feel about those last 5 lbs! Isn't it frustrating! Good job on the low this am!
I have spent 2 years trying to get back to 135.. I can make it to 139 for a day, then the next shoots me back up to 143.. go figure. The scale isn't everything though, are you measuring yourself? Is the Measuring tape at least moving?
Hey Jamie, I've been taking waist measurements every 2 weeks as part of boot camp, but haven't taken any other body measurements in a long time. I should find the time to do that - don't think I will this week though .

My waist is the same although just below my waist is less saggy and smaller . Definitely happy with the belly pouch improvements, not sure what's made the most improvement over the last few months - time, bio oil treatments or the little bit of extra ab work (bellydancing & pilates). Possibly a combination, not stopping any of them anyway .

Decided this morning I was still too sore from Tuesday's UB weights to do another weights workout - would have been 3 days in a row. So did my Pilates DVD instead. Will mean I won't get 4 days of weights done this week as there is no way I'll have time on the weekend for any workouts. Oh well, next week is another opportunity and I'll have a better chance as I can start my workout schedule on Monday.

Probably going to do UB weights tomorrow and have 2 UB & 1 LB workout this week. Seeing as HIIT & dancing both work my legs I think this'll work better than trying to do the 3rd weights as LB. Plus Saturday I'm going to a theme park with 3 other adults and a total of 6 kids so my legs will probably be worked well running around all day!! A friend has free tickets to Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo (just over 1hrs drive north of here) - haven't told DD yet where we're going just that we have a sleep over Friday night and going somewhere special Saturday. We went for her 5th birthday and she LOVED it so she'll be super excited when she finds out.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #1999
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Jami I love your new Avatar!!!!!!! I am still lifting and happily increasing my weights and/or sets. I love lifting heavy!!!!!! My Memphis trip poundage is almost gone. Why is it that it is easy to put it on but so awfully hard to get it off. OH well, I am patient.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #2000
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SophieM
Stats: 5'1
WOE: Varies
Kisha - I change up exercises every few months or so if I feel I need it. If I find an exercise I like and am getting good results with, I won't change it just to change though.

Oz - Hello. Getting back in the groove isn't that hard, especially when it's soething you like doing.

Jami - Lifting is basically all I do also. I LOVE it!!

Matt - I hope you like the Anaboic Diet. I really like it.

Ayana - Patience is important to have, especially in regards to losing/gaining weight.
~~~~~~~
Today will be day 3 of 5/3/1 and I like it so far. I'm really excited to see what it does for my strength gains and if it's better than what I was doing. I figure I'll do it for at least 6 months, see where my lifts are, and decide where to go from there.

~~~Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal;
nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.~~~
Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-15-2010, 06:41 AM   #2001
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning Lifters!
I am doing great by the way!!! No more of those symptoms that I was posting about previously. I am so happy! I am someone who can get so wound up in goggling symptoms on various diseases, then, all of a sudden I will acquire those symptoms.. Hmmm.. So, I quit doing that, it was stressing me out.
on tap for me today is LBWO.

Oz~ well, I think its great that you measure your abs only for now.. isn't that your trouble spot? I measure everything once every 2 weeks, but I do measure my thighs quite often. I definitely have to shrink them down. They are getting smaller, but its taking its own sweet time. HOW FUN to go to Steve Irwins Zoo!! I love zoos. I bet it has a neat set up. I bet she'll have so much fun!

Ayana~ Thank you Slowly but surely. You are someone who can stick their diet pretty good, so I'm sure it will be off soon. When ever I have a bad cheat meal I will be up at least 3 pounds the next day. Most of it is water weight, but, I sure hate seeing those numbers anyways. It really makes me want to stay on plan ALL the time.

Sophie~ I am a creature of habit big time. I find what works and I never want to change it. My most favorite exercise is DB flat chest presses. I dont think I'll ever want to give those up.. I should do more cardio. I want to lose more fat off my legs, and I think the only, more efficient way to do that is to get cardio in. I hate it!!! How is the CKD going? When I was doing BFL I changed my last month of eating to TKD and I really enjoyed it. I feel like I do really well on LC than I do on Moderate. I definitely would like to try the CKD, but I'll have to wait until I am done working with Erik.

Matt~ I think you have found something that will be very beneficial for you (CKD)! Let us know how you like it!!

Hi Kisha! ~ I love that CKD eating too!! I felt like I had better control over cravings when I was LCing. This time Im not a carbophobic, so implementing refeeds into the plan would be great, and since they are low fat days, means no fat gain
Old 07-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #2002

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
This time Im not a carbophobic, so implementing refeeds into the plan would be great, and since they are low fat days, means no fat gain
just because a refeed is no fat doesnt mean you wont gain. your body has to be ready/primed for it.. such as the program is set up.. but you can see with free day and bfl, you can totally blow it and gain.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #2003
Video Vixen

Gallery: MLE777
Stats: 151/145/122 5'2"
WOE: Eat when hungry. Stop when full.
Hi ladies! Quick question for you. Does anyone have any experience with New Rules of Lifting for Women? I want to start lifting heavy again and I'm trying to find a good starting point. I did 2 rounds of CLX (Chalean Extreme) and ended up gaining weight and inches both times. I think it might have been the style of heavy lifting that didn't agree with my body, not the heavy lifting.

Thanks for your thoughts

ETA - Whoops, just saw that there's a thread about this already on the Muscle Matters board. Sorry for the interruption

Last edited by MLE777; 07-15-2010 at 08:55 AM..
Old 07-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #2004

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLE777 View Post
Hi ladies! Quick question for you. Does anyone have any experience with New Rules of Lifting for Women? I want to start lifting heavy again and I'm trying to find a good starting point. I did 2 rounds of CLX (Chalean Extreme) and ended up gaining weight and inches both times. I think it might have been the style of heavy lifting that didn't agree with my body, not the heavy lifting.

Thanks for your thoughts

ETA - Whoops, just saw that there's a thread about this already on the Muscle Matters board. Sorry for the interruption
I did NROL4W last year and really liked it-it is not a program for losing weight (per Lou Shuler's post on a fitness forum I belong to) but is great for strength. I want to get a bar and weights when I try it again. You need to lift heavy with NROL4W also-it's more intense than CLX.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #2005
Video Vixen

Gallery: MLE777
Stats: 151/145/122 5'2"
WOE: Eat when hungry. Stop when full.
Thanks Lisabinil! I'm already at my goal weight, so losing weight isn't an issue. At this point, I'm trying to lose some body fat and gain some definition. I build muscle easily or maybe it's not that I build it easily, maybe it's that it appears that I gain it easily since I'm only 5'2"
Old 07-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #2006
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SophieM
Stats: 5'1
WOE: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
I love that CKD eating too!! I felt like I had better control over cravings when I was LCing. This time Im not a carbophobic, so implementing refeeds into the plan would be great, and since they are low fat days, means no fat gain
On the Anabolic Diet, the refeed days aren't low fat, it's moderate fat, high carb, and low protein.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #2007
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HI everyone,
Ileen, oh i know I could blow it if I really get my food out of control. I dont know much about that plan, but, like you said, the free days on the bfl program could ruin all kinds of progress.

Sophie~ Thank you. I like I was saying to Ileen. I'll deffinetly have to read a lot more about the program. Im just going off of what you told me.
I did the TKD during the last month or so on the body for life program, and I feel like I did really well with it.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #2008
Major LCF Poster!

mornin' everyone. Didn't finishe off the week as I'd intended just too busy IRL.

But have started this week with a bang . This morning did UB weights + HIIT, yoga/stretching (75min).

Weights up from last week too - chest & tris 12kg 1st cycle & 13kg 2nd cycle; arms/shoulders 10kg both cycles.

Didn't like the scale this morning so am extra motivated to get my nutrition back on track. I"ve been terrible lately - sugar & white carbs all over the place . Just busy & stressed so have let that get to my nutrition which is a very bad old habit! Back on track today and doing a meat/egg fast tomorrow for 3 days with a local friend who's struggling atm too.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #2009

Did my first "new" UBWO today at the gym. Different exercises for each muscle group using dumbells almost exclusively (last routine was lots of machine) we'll see how sore I get the next few days I didn't really hit my maxes cuz I'm still feeling out what I'm capable of with these moves.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:25 AM   #2010
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi OZ! Wow you did have a productive morning! I am just getting up, sippin' on my coffee. Even though you didn't have time to finish out your week, you still did most things on your list. You are always so great about planning and motivating others! I love that you are still doing your boot camps! Its helping so many people accomplish their goals.
Are you still pluggin along with OWL?

Kisha~ I love using DB. We do have some machines at my fitness center but when I use them for ub I notice that my right side will get stronger than my left due to over compensation. I usually look more uniformed when I use DB.
Closed Thread